“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#556012 Jul 11, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
Yet they are highly offended by being lumped as "all Christians". I will be glad to share my "Angel of Darkness" title with you. I have no need to be the only "Angel" on this thread.
LOL. I don't see either of us in those terms, but OK. I see my message as very constructive and hopeful. Yours, too.
AnnieJ wrote:
My thoughts... We often hear...search the Bible for answers...a demoralizing book at best...at least that is the way it seems to be used by some. Being fair...there are those that search for the love within those written words...others search for those that can be used to silence that love by demoralizing others. Never has one book been used in such a way as this one has.
I like your thoughts, which brings me to this: I've been sitting on a post I wrote in response to one from Senecus' partly out of respect for you, because I recall that you do or did blog with him. I didn't care for his characterization of Topix posters, nor his vaunting himself and his blogging above message board posting, and I let him know it. I think I'll post it after this post, now that I've explained myself.
AnnieJ wrote:
I am not atheist...I was never able to understand how one could not believe that there was no higher power...some unknown force that binds us all...until recently.
That's not what an atheist rejects. Atheism is a big tent. There is room for mystical intuitions here. I've shared some of my own in the past, as have other unbelievers. The universe may very well turn out to be more than it appears. I just don't assume that it is conscious, or knows or cares about me.

Atheists reject the gods and religions that men have invented. In the case of the Abrahamic religions, it's ridiculous, demeaning, infantilizing, and harmful. We reject prayer, worship, revelation, judgment and other similar nonsense - not a sense of mystery, of gratitude, of awe, or of connectedness.

Fennario

#556013 Jul 11, 2013
Senecus wrote:
And is why many have left, it's become not much more than a "shouting match"
That's how a theist would see it. That's how many of the theists present have described this thread. They don't like to share the floor with us. They don't like seeing their church or their faith criticized.

The ones who have left in a huff are Christians that didn't like reading what unbelievers have to say. Sorry about that.
Senecus wrote:
Most serious bloggers and real time debaters consider the likes of Topix a wasteland.
Is that right? How would you know? Are you counting yourself among such people? Do you speak for them?

I consider the religious blogosphere to be a wasteland. Most religious blogs are boring, self-indulgent, masturbatory musings about singing to Jesus all day or whatever other nonsense preoccupies people fixated on pie in the sky. It's irrelevant to unbelievers.

Here's what I mean:

"Ten Passages for Pastors to Memorize Cold" from a blog called Desiring God at http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/ten-pas...

Bo-ring!

"Our Gifts" from a blog called Devotional Christian at http://devotionalchristian.com/our-gifts/...

Oh the tedium!

Topix is much more substantial than that fluff. It's also more human, more dynamic, and more topical. It's representative of the exciting change occurring all around us - the ascendance of secularism and irreligiosity in the West. That's what the Christians like Adam, Trifecta, Clearwater, and Dr. Shrink are shouting about, and what the Christians that have fled are hiding from.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#556014 Jul 11, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what hypocrite. For someone that's been telling Epi (over and over and over again) to let the "icon thing" go you sure can't seem to come in here without obsessing over Chris and his beliefs. Which by the way walk hand in hand with what God's Word says. Unlike yours which badly contradict God's Word and have absolutely no Biblical basis at all. You've been belly aching and obsessing over him for months now.
So why not take your own advise and STFU!!!
Christians are cool.

:-)

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#556015 Jul 11, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. I feel better now.
What were we talking about? Boobies?
That's about it, really.

Location hidden

#556016 Jul 11, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
See?
Nope

I'm missing the spaces

Fennario

#556017 Jul 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your prediction is invalid. Christianity is still on the rise.
Christianity is on the decline in the West, where it is well known, and where education is more widespread.

I hear that the Christian church has been successfully redirecting its efforts to Africa and Asia, where huge swaths of people are still much less educated than Westerners, and where the religion and its reputation are still largely unknown.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Location hidden

#556018 Jul 11, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Called it a freak storm. Just like they did when the fifteen foot wall of ice fell in 2009. This time around was two inches within minutes and the hail was size of golf balls. They called out the snow plows to clear the roads. People were wearing shorts and clearing it off with snow shovels. What a hoot that was on the local news. Roofs fell in from the weight of this too. Some are standing around now taking photo of lightning calling it a lightning show. Good sense went bye bye cause that stuff is dangerous. One must wonder who forgot to turn on the light bulb in the upstairs department. One of the mountains here rocks came tearing off it rollin into homes and people just said opps what happened here. They do not think anything shakes rocks or rolls. lol the wonder of it all.
Did you save any of the hailstones?

Location hidden

#556019 Jul 11, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
You better watch there Mr teapot too I be throwin some head lock on you too.lol the wonder of it all with theses raskels wondering around this thread one rollin in the floor and another watchin a flick woo such activities. lol. And ya wonder why all you get out of me is scripture.
As a general rule, I don't question the scripture that a person cites, I question the person that cites the scripture.

~ The person behind River Tam

Fennario

#556020 Jul 11, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When I see an article in the biased Huff Post by a biased atheist about the supposed negativity about religious people, I sincerely question the validity and honesty of the article.
I don't question your sincerity, just your objectivity.

Is every atheist that criticizes your religion biased? Isn't rejecting an author because she is an atheist your bias?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All I saw was one picture of a dude sitting on the sidewalk with some bowls in front of him.
There was also an article below it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
How do we know that pic wasn't faked?
We don't. And I agree that that "test" was neither scientific nor conclusive.

My point related to your confirmation bias, which manifests as a double standard. You only ask these kinds of questions about matters that you reject, such as the suggestion that atheists might be as charitable or even more so than Chrisitans. Your skepticism seems to disappear when you are talking about Christian charity.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Where were the test results? How many times did they conduct it? Where did they conduct the test(s)? Etc.
You have very exacting and rigorous standards, but only for claims that you don't like. You don't ask these kinds of questions about the claims for Christian charity. Those you accept on faith.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#556021 Jul 11, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you save any of the hailstones?
LoL I do not think you get the picture of the strange things that happen out here. Did I save hailstones really lol your too much.
That like asking have I kissed a big foot yet.lol.Or if I meet the local cave man who moved in lately.lol lol I need to quit while I a head of this game it late and when I am tired I get goofy like this not cranky like some people. Good night signing off catch you tomorrow.

Location hidden

#556022 Jul 11, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
LoL I do not think you get the picture of the strange things that happen out here. Did I save hailstones really lol your too much.
That like asking have I kissed a big foot yet.lol.Or if I meet the local cave man who moved in lately.lol lol I need to quit while I a head of this game it late and when I am tired I get goofy like this not cranky like some people. Good night signing off catch you tomorrow.
OK LW.
I am serious about the hail. I was going to ask you to do some tests...and I could probably tell you how and why you had the "episode". I think I already know, but would just like to verify it with actual evidence.
G-NITE.

Location hidden

#556023 Jul 11, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
As a general rule, I don't question the scripture that a person cites, I question the person that cites the scripture.
~ The person behind River Tam
Well When you can walk in my shoes and carry my load of responsibilities then you can question the person who cities those scriptures. But until then I owe you nothing as a response.

Location hidden

#556024 Jul 11, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK LW.
I am serious about the hail. I was going to ask you to do some tests...and I could probably tell you how and why you had the "episode". I think I already know, but would just like to verify it with actual evidence.
G-NITE.
Sorry BT I just thought you were missin with me and did not believe what I wrote you about this storm and what goes on out here. I pretty thicked skinned about being fluffed off really quit use to it. But if test is what you want the next one comes thru I will grab some hailstones.You might share what you already know with me.

Location hidden

#556025 Jul 11, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Well When you can walk in my shoes and carry my load of responsibilities then you can question the person who cities those scriptures. But until then I owe you nothing as a response.
You're kidding, right?

When you walk in my shoe, then you can dismiss me.

Until then, I will question your scriptures.

Would you like another Simpson quote?

Fennario

#556026 Jul 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! I met with a brother of mine last night and he disturbingly spoke of how he used to break into houses and treat people bad, etc., but that belief in God and Jesus turned him around. So we have this lost kid, becomes criminal, gives that up b/c of religious experience. I began wondering that, if religions were removed tomorrow, what kind of social institution could fulfill that role - clearly the emotional and spiritual experiences motivated this young man to adjust his life (filled him with guilt and horror at his actions). It's hard for me to imagine an atheist institution being so compelling.
I remember a guy whose brother was an alcoholic. He wanted to bring back prohibition, because it might have helped his brother. He wasn't concerned with the devastation that that policy had created.

I'll bet that we can find ways to deal with people like your brother without having to suffer the other effects of the church. And maybe with a predominantly humanist culture embodying humanist principles and values, we will see less crime than we do in a Christian culture. Statistics support that optimism. Have you seen how the murder rate has fallen by almost half in the US during the same period that irreligiosity doubled?

According to http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.h... , the murder total in America peaked in 1991 at 24,700,and fell to a modern minimum of 14,612 in 2011. There were 252 million Americans in 1991 compared to 311 million in 2011 making the respective murder rates 9.8 per 100,000 in 1991, and 4.7 per 100,000 in 2011 - less than half.

At the same time, according to the American Religious Identification Survey at http://www.dawahskills.com/skills-tools/ameri... , the total number of adults identifying as Christian fell from 151 million out of 175 million adults (86.2%) in 1990 to 173 million out out of 228 million adults (76.0%) in 2008. During the same period, "nones" and "no religion" rose from 14 million (8.2%) to 34 million (15.0%)-almost double.

I think that we will likely all benefit by the further dimunition of the church.

Location hidden

#556027 Jul 11, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're kidding, right?
When you walk in my shoe, then you can dismiss me.
Until then, I will question your scriptures.
Would you like another Simpson quote?
Your simpson quotes is a waste of time.
Yep your dismissed Susie Q.

Location hidden

#556028 Jul 11, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Your simpson quotes is a waste of time.
Yep your dismissed Susie Q.
Suit your self.

I was being nice.

Have you met Alice?

Location hidden

#556029 Jul 11, 2013
Good night BT look for you tomorrow.

Fennario

#556030 Jul 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That [Googling "decline in Christianity"] was "About 10,600,000" [hits], not 14 million. Type in "rise of Christianity", you get "About 17,900,000 results". huh...
"Huh" is right.

The rise of Christianity is a historical matter, and is not the same thing as Christianity being on the rise today. Type "rise IN Christianity" with quote marks (Google changes it to "rise of Christianity" if you don't) and you get about 185,000 hits, about 2% of 10.6 million.

And these were the first five hits, still mostly on the "rise OF Christianity," and none about any alleged present rise IN Christianity. All were about the history of Christianity:

Search Results - About 185,000 results (0.34 seconds)

[1] Chapter 10: The Rise of Christianity
www.rc255.will.k12.il.us/rcms255/textbooks/do... ;

[2] Rise in Christianity Era - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch...

[3] Factors for the rise of Christianity - WikiAnswers
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Factors_for_the_ris...
The two biggest factors for the rise of Christianity were the work of important early missionaries and the simple appeal of Christianity. The one biggest early ...

[4] Ancient rome rise christianity study sets and study tools | Quizlet
http://quizlet.com/subject/ancient-rome-rise-...
A list of free Ancient rome rise christianity study sets. Use our

[5] The Rise In Christianity Free Essays 1 - 20
http://www.studymode.com/subjects/the-rise-in... ;
Free Essays on The Rise In Christianity for students. Use our ...

Location hidden

#556031 Jul 11, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry BT I just thought you were missin with me and did not believe what I wrote you about this storm and what goes on out here. I pretty thicked skinned about being fluffed off really quit use to it. But if test is what you want the next one comes thru I will grab some hailstones.You might share what you already know with me.
UM...long story... If you have a "wild one" with all the fireworks, hail and extreme rain etc. Note the date and time.
I would like for you to slice a few of them in half, and count the "layers" it will be like an onion. Then check if there is any distinct coloring or dark coloration between those layers. Finally, "taste", with your tongue, the sliced stone and let me know if it tastes like bitters, alum or magnesia. Save the one's you have not opened or contaminated in a "freezer" bag. If you tell me what I want(expect) to hear,(I) will pay to have the uncontaminated sample(s) analysed at a "real" lab....they must remain frozen though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moses never existed 3 min jjustice0981 551
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 4 min MUQ2 37,647
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min Just Sayin 554,867
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min Hidingfromyou 764,421
moms do you like to keep your young sons bottom... (May '12) 34 min CuriousCreature 22
hill climb racing hack for android 44 min RKM7 1
Download PES 2015 full game & Patch Tuga Vicio ... 49 min RKM7 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 263,441
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Catcher1 175,040

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE