“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#554916 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhm...so you're misreading Catcher now?
;p
RR can make twist statement into anything he chooses.

It is one of the gifts of Magic Ghost.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#554917 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
NAMBLA is all about males having sex with males and you says it isn't a gay organization?!?
O_o
Funny video, who is that guy?
The whole NAMBLA deal, and Christians not being able to get it is ridiculous.

What do you call someone who fights pit bulls?

A pet owner?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#554918 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
No, no. You might be wrong about the actual existence of the man, Jesus, but you cannot be wrong about his philosophy and what it means to you, as a spiritual person. You also cannot be wrong in your reading of the Bible, as it applies to your understanding of the world around you - these are things you cannot be wrong about.
However, I think it's quite likely that Jesus existed and was about the most charismatic person ever to have lived. But either way, real or not, his philosophy lives on and is separate from Paul's.
I disagree about the charismatic part. I think it's likely that he was one of the top 100 charismatic people of his time period, if he existed.

Tom Hanks is easily more charismatic than the character of Jesus. That's just the first one that popped into my head. If Tom Hanks had magical powers, Jesus could not compete. I'm sure there are and have been tens of thousands of actual people more charismatic than any person The Jesus! myth was based on.

I don't value charisma that much anyway. Think Hitler.

The Jesus! myth does not impress me, so any person or persons it might be based on would impress me less, as myths and legends are always embellished.

Thanks to Scar for "The Jesus!" formatting. I like it.

Location hidden

#554919 Jul 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I could hang around, for River's sake.
She's...uhm...er...ah...
compelling.
Yes... yes... for River.

And for Riverside Redneck.

He needs many teachers.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#554920 Jul 7, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
That is appalling for Christians to think like that. They share the planet equally.
They live on it, but I don't think they think as much of it as we do.
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Looks like this Calvin Beisner could do some more home-work considering he missed the point in his degree of Earth sciences, Cosmology & astrophysics ignoring that everything is linked, and chose a cultism stand instead. Without going into details, it was more or less predicted which means he either didn't understand – or ignored – his own faith based teachings.
A lot of Christians ignore the bible. That's its great strength, and why it is so durable: it's only words, and no Christian is obligated to follow any of it. Every taste is supported by a scripture or several, and there a few to support the opposite position as well. Are you a salvation by faith or works fan? Either way, I have you covered with scripture. Do you think the old law is fulfilled, or that it is still in effects? No matter. I've got you covered there as well, whatever your preference. Think of the bible as a cafeteria.

So these man are free to ignore any biblical teaching they like in their pursuit of war or plundering the earth and not expect much backlash from the church.

Too bad the Christians that make the decisions don't think more like you, or that people that think like you don't decide how the world is run. It would be a completely different religion than the one we see.

Fennario

#554921 Jul 7, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Seems all belief systems with extremists 'right or left wing'…become the petty arguments for or against.
These Christians are not extremists. Or, if that's the word you choose to use, extremists dominate the church. Their viewpoints define it. They're typically pro-war and anti-ecology
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Science has made their mistakes also, and don't need to be Secular or Christian to know this.
What mistakes has science made that are of relevance to this discussion? Are you talking about the misuse of science by ideologues?
Peace_Warrior wrote:
I feel many lump all Christians into one pile, but we are individual in our personal life.
I agree, which may be why I prefer to deal with Christianity and the church rather than individual Christians, since the latter really aren't the problem. It's the church that is. I t hurts them and the rest of us as well.

I find that a lot of Christian mistake that for lumping all Christians together.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#554922 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"My point, and the point of view of atheists, isn't that anyone's god is responsible for any person's death and suffering." -you
Talk to Catcher. He blames God for not saving them from death. Even called God a sonuvabitch.
Huh
I'm not saying you are ignorant or stupid or dumb.

You don't have a conceptual mind.

The ability is beyond you. I find that hard to think, but I can come to no other conclusion.

Lemme ask you something....

Did you really think Darth Vader was Luke Skywalkers father?

When a movie has a plot where a nuclear bomb has been placed in a large city and it's set to explode...

Are you concerned for the citizens of St. Louis?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

You should think about the ^^^^above^^^^ comment.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#554923 Jul 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>The whole NAMBLA deal, and Christians not being able to get it is ridiculous.
What do you call someone who fights pit bulls?
A pet owner?
It is insane to what lengths the dishonest and insane will go to protect their "Truths" from reality and common sense.

Of course if one believes in a Magical Zombie as a deity ....

Location hidden

#554924 Jul 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Twice the game ended.
Twice somebody thought they knew better than I did.
I figured, if you can't kill yourself in two attempts, you pretty much suck at that.
I'm still thinking.
If you're reading this, you are The Resistance.

We need every soldier.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#554925 Jul 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Suit yourself.
The offer stands. I have Mac & Cheese.
Do you like Trower?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1mkg-LTVchMXX
Robin Trower is great!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#554926 Jul 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree about the charismatic part. I think it's likely that he was one of the top 100 charismatic people of his time period, if he existed...
I tend to agree. But, the 'charisma' has long out lived the man.
I doubt anyone will even know who most of the current "charismatics" alive today are 2000 years from now.

Fennario

#554927 Jul 7, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Unlike you I hope everyone has a say.
Unlike me? That's exactly how I feel too.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Mankind really hasn't changed as much as some would like to wish.
We've pretty much stopped crucifying people and burning them at the stake. And we can
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Yep, we have better tech but what are we doing with it?
Some pretty useful and important things. Many Christians don't seem to notice or care.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
man is evil born into evil and only one can or will change that.
You learned that in church, didn't you? God bless you.
Chris Clearwater wrote:
I for one long ago got sick of your vile words and hate you post here day in day out
I've found your posting instructive. I read most of it.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#554928 Jul 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jesus! myth does not impress me, so any person or persons it might be based on would impress me less, as myths and legends are always embellished...
I personally find value in many myths.

The "Jesus Myth" just happens to be the one that almost all the people I know are at least familiar with.

You know how hard it is to find people to discuss the spirituality of Odin and Valhalla with anymore ?

"Lo, There do I see my father!" - Eaters of the Dead

“"None shall pass"”

There

#554929 Jul 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I agree, which may be why I prefer to deal with Christianity and the church rather than individual Christians, since the latter really aren't the problem. It's the church that is. I t hurts them and the rest of us as well.
I find that a lot of Christian mistake that for lumping all Christians together.
Excellent point!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#554930 Jul 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree about the charismatic part. I think it's likely that he was one of the top 100 charismatic people of his time period, if he existed.
Tom Hanks is easily more charismatic than the character of Jesus. That's just the first one that popped into my head. If Tom Hanks had magical powers, Jesus could not compete. I'm sure there are and have been tens of thousands of actual people more charismatic than any person The Jesus! myth was based on.
I don't value charisma that much anyway. Think Hitler.
The Jesus! myth does not impress me, so any person or persons it might be based on would impress me less, as myths and legends are always embellished.
Thanks to Scar for "The Jesus!" formatting. I like it.
Tom Hanks?!? Really??? He's the same in every movie.

But, yes, I'll give you that if Hanks had magical powers, Jesus could not compete - this is, of course, because Jesus had no magical powers. It's not super fair to instead give them to Hanks. But if Ian Mckellen had magical powers, Hanks would be left in the dust :p

Yeah, Hitler had great charisma, too. That's a good point. Let's rate the characters of history on a charisma scale! We can make Tom Hanks the unit of measurement, if you like. I think Sir Ian Mckellen is about a 100 on the hankscale, and that makes me a -99 or so. What would Hitler be? Probably greater, since he moved entire nations. Personally I think Alexander the Great must have been a ridiculously charismatic person. Maybe a 1000 on the Hankscale?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#554931 Jul 7, 2013
Finally got one head off. Had to take the headers off to do it. They needed painting anyway.
Gad to drop the oil pan and filter to get the headers off. Needed an oil change any way.
Once the other side head and headers are off I will mask and paint the engine bay... It needs it.

God must be guiding me to do what is needed.
I am so glad that God likes Corvettes.

30 minutes of working, 60 of minutes rest until the rain comes tonight.
I am having a blast! Wish my dad was here in more than spirit. <wipes tears away with greasy rag>

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#554932 Jul 7, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes... yes... for River.
And for Riverside Redneck.
He needs many teachers.
Ah. Uhm. Er. I'm not sure that RR learns from me - he probably doesn't believe most of what I write, except about sammiches :)
That's ok. It's the truth. I make up everything. It's almost all fake. And I do it to spread the lie of atheism for the purpose of evil. We anthropologists are involved in a planet-wide cover up of the 6000 year earth - we've actually found the Throne where God used to sit up in the North Pole, just like the Bible says.
Oh, no! Riverside, you're using that damned Jedi mind trick again!

Location hidden

#554933 Jul 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree. But, the 'charisma' has long out lived the man.
I doubt anyone will even know who most of the current "charismatics" alive today are 2000 years from now.
There will be those that are lost to history, but we've entered the information age. It's hard to know how much we'll keep in binary, if we have the free space.

Location hidden

#554934 Jul 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
I personally find value in many myths.
The "Jesus Myth" just happens to be the one that almost all the people I know are at least familiar with.
You know how hard it is to find people to discuss the spirituality of Odin and Valhalla with anymore ?
"Lo, There do I see my father!" - Eaters of the Dead
I'm a big fan of myths. I value them for what they are, not for what people wish them to be.

Christianity wouldn't be interesting at all to me without angels and demons.

I like Norse, Greek, and similar mythologies because of the large and diverse cast of characters. Movies like Constantine and Fallen wouldn't be possible without the polytheistic leanings present in Christianity. Monotheism is inherently boring.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#554935 Jul 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"My point, and the point of view of atheists, isn't that anyone's god is responsible for any person's death and suffering." -you
Talk to Catcher. He blames God for not saving them from death. Even called God a sonuvabitch.
Huh
Wrong. I don't believe in that god stuff.

But those who dohave to deal with a god who lets these things happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 28 min Tweet of the Union 104,611
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr PadMark 673,073
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Sky Writer 31 184,617
Obama Pays Muslim Brotherhood Yearly Membership... 8 hr Chris Rather 2
Do women think men with blue eyes are more attr... (Dec '08) 9 hr Chris Rather 98
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 10 hr Rider on the Storm 4,049
News Michael Jackson's doctor: 'I told the truth' (Aug '09) 10 hr Holy Child Jehova... 395
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 10 hr blkguylooking 471
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 hr Holy Child Jehova... 981,223
More from around the web