Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#553916 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
If you get the chance, please do. I think you would get a lot out of them.
I will...if I ever get the chance now.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#553917 Jul 3, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why then was the empire in turmoil and on the brink of collapse 100 years after that because of it?
'Taint so! My preacher done told me the truth and it says so in the Bible guide I bought at the Christian Bookstore.

Location hidden

#553918 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
RR said he went to a "Pentacostal" church.
That's the one with "round" windows, and a big ole' "star" in the circle.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#553919 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
RR said he went to a "Pentacostal" church.
Oh!
That's completely different.
Never mind.

<in remembrance of the late Gilda Radner>

“"None shall pass"”

There

#553920 Jul 3, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Are these the one you once told me about before I went to Mexico? That LapTop gave up, and have no record now.
Yes.

Here are the titles of Carlos Castaneda's books:

The Teachings of Don Juan
A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
A Separate Reality
A Journey to Ixtlan

A Wiki link to info about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castaneda...

A Google search might find on-line copies of his books.
If I get time to find them I will T-Mail as well as post them. No promises though.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553921 Jul 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You went to a strange church, my man.
You might be right. But it was a good one. I liked it and the people very much. It was in Hagerstown, MD, near where I was stationed.

After about two years there, I was discharged from the Army and returned to California - Riverside, actually. I went to about five different churches over the next three years or so before I realized that the spirit I had felt in the Hagerstown congregation was not that of a god, but that of the people there.

I had initially chosen to suspend disbelief to give this ideology a chance to gel the way you would wear a new pair of shoes for a while even if they didn't fit perfectly to give them a chance to fit better. But once it became clear that I had misunderstood the origins of the initial euphoria, and because the contradictions never resolved themselves over the fulness of time, I kicked off the shoes.

But the Pentecostals were OK. Those boys could speak in tongues: "Humina humina humina shalala papaya hava banana!" And the women had such big hair. We called them PHDs - pentecostal hair-dos.

Location hidden

#553922 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
'Taint so! My preacher done told me the truth and it says so in the Bible guide I bought at the Christian Bookstore.
Ya...cristers say the darndest things.

Fennario

#553923 Jul 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Proverbs 1:5
Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance
Proverbs 18:15
An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
Titus 2:1
But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.
Proverbs 10:17 ESV / 45 helpful votes
Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray.
Well done. Russell was wrong, and you demonstrated it.

Of course, that doesn't establish the bible as the champion of reason. There are scriptures for most any purpose and as its opposite.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#553924 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Here are the titles of Carlos Castaneda's books:
The Teachings of Don Juan
A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
A Separate Reality
A Journey to Ixtlan
A Wiki link to info about him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castaneda...
A Google search might find on-line copies of his books.
If I get time to find them I will T-Mail as well as post them. No promises though.
Thanx... I found them here.
https://www.google.com.au/search...

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#553925 Jul 3, 2013
<quoted text>
You might be right. But it was a good one. I liked it and the people very much. It was in Hagerstown, MD, near where I was stationed.
After about two years there, I was discharged from the Army and returned to California - Riverside, actually. I went to about five different churches over the next three years or so before I realized that the spirit I had felt in the Hagerstown congregation was not that of a god, but that of the people there.
I had initially chosen to suspend disbelief to give this ideology a chance to gel the way you would wear a new pair of shoes for a while even if they didn't fit perfectly to give them a chance to fit better. But once it became clear that I had misunderstood the origins of the initial euphoria, and because the contradictions never resolved themselves over the fulness of time, I kicked off the shoes.
But the Pentecostals were OK. Those boys could speak in tongues: "Humina humina humina shalala papaya hava banana!" And the women had such big hair. We called them PHDs - pentecostal hair-dos.
Thanx for sharing this, and lol to the "Humina humina humina shalala papaya hava banana!"
But would like to ask as I did Mark...
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your urgency to try and make any believe or not? Surely everyone has a right one way or the other, even as you and thousands of others - religious or not - do... or is it just the Christian faith which concerns you the most?
Just wondering...

“"None shall pass"”

There

#553926 Jul 3, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanx... I found them here.
https://www.google.com.au/search...
Great!

Enjoy!

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#553927 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Great!
Enjoy!
Thanx... don't think I can get for a little while... but sure Amazon will have and hold! I do remember what we spoke of. <3

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#553928 Jul 3, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Hear ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
For I give you good doctrine forsake ye not my law.
For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: Keep my commandments, and live.
Get wisdom, get understanding forget it not: neither decline from words of my mouth.
Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace; a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
Hear,O my son and receive my sayings; and they years of thy life shall be many.
Proverbs 4:1-10
Continued:

I have taught thee in the way of wisdom: I have led thee in right path.

When thou goest they steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt no stumble.

Take fast hold of instruction let her not go: keep her, for she is thy life.

Enter not into the path of the wicked and go not in the way of evil men.

Avoid it,pass not by it turn from it and pass away.

For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.

But the path of the just is as the shinning light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

My son, attend to my words incline thine ear unto my sayings.

Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

For they are life unto those that find them and health to all their flesh.

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Put away from thee a forward mouth and perverse lips put far from thee.

Let thine eyes look right on and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.

Ponder the path of thee feet and lall thy ways be established.

Then turn not to the right hand not the left; remove thy foot from evil.
Proverbs 4: 11-27

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#553929 Jul 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a church sign, too.
http://www.says-it.com/churchsigns/sign06.php
(Because those things CAN'T be faked.
What do you think about Jesus?

He's alright.

He's alright.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#553930 Jul 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think about Jesus?
He's alright.
He's alright.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#553931 Jul 3, 2013
Buddha live and died 500 years before Jesus.
This is interesting:
" JESUS: Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6.31
BUDDHA: Consider others as yourself. Dhammapada 10.1
JESUS: If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also. Luke 6.29
BUDDHA: If anyone should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a knife, you should abandon any desires and utter no evil words. Majjhima Nikaya 21.6
JESUS: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. From anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Luke 6.27-30
BUDDHA: Hatreds do not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love; this is an eternal truth….. Overcome anger by love, overcome evil by good. Overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth. Dhammapada 1.5 & 17.3
JESUS: Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword. Matthew 26.52.
BUDDHA: Abandoning the taking of life, the ascetic Gautama dwells refraining from taking life, without stick or sword. Digha Nikaya 1.1.8
JESUS: Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me. Matthew 25.45
BUDDHA: If you do not tend one another, then who is there to tend you? Whoever would tend me, he should tend the sick. Vinaya, Mahavagga 8.26.3
JESUS: Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. John 1.17
BUDDHA: The body of the Buddha is born of love, patience, gentleness, and truth. Vimalakirtinirdesha Sutra 2
JESUS: I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. Luke 15.10
BUDDHA: The bodhisattva loves all living beings as if each were his only child. Vimalakirtinirdesha Sutra 5.
JESUS: This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.12-13
BUDDHA: Just as a mother would protect her only child at the risk of her own life, even so, cultivate a boundless heart towards all beings. Let your thoughts of boundless love pervade the whole world. Sutta Nipata 149-150
JESUS: You know the commandments:“You shall not murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; you shall not defraud; honour your father and mother.” Mark 10.19
BUDDHA: Abstain from killing and from taking what is not given. Abstain from unchastity and from speaking falsely. Do not accept gold and silver. Khuddakapatha 2
JESUS: The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches. Matthew 13.31-32
BUDDHA: Do not underestimate good, thinking it will not affect you. Dripping water can fill a pitcher, drop by drop; one who is wise is filled with good, even if one accumulates it little by little. Dhammapada 9.7
JESUS: Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbour,“Friend, let me take the speck out of your eye,” when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye. Luke 6.41-42
BUDDHA: The faults of others are easier to see than one’s own; the faults of others are easily seen, for they are sifted like chaff, but one’s own faults are hard to see. This is like the cheat who hides his dice and shows the dice of his opponent, calling attention to the other’s shortcoming, continually thinking of accusing him. Udanavarga 27.1

Much more here:
http://www.heartforpeace.net/quotes_of_the_da...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#553932 Jul 3, 2013
Well done. Russell was wrong, and you demonstrated it.
Of course, that doesn't establish the bible as the champion of reason. There are scriptures for most any purpose and as its opposite.
I'm sure those verses are exclusive to "biblical" knowledge or instruction as it pertain to religious belief. RiversideRedneck used the ESV translation on the last verse, and that raises a flag. So, now I have to look at "context" and other translations...

RiversideRedneck wrote: Proverbs 1:5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance

TNK Proverbs 1:5 -- The wise man, hearing them, will gain more wisdom; The discerning man will learn to be adroit; (Pro 1:5 TNK)

NIV Proverbs 1:5 let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance--(Pro 1:5 NIV)

Interesting, this follows the above:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and discipline.(Pro 1:7 TNK)
http://biblehub.com/proverbs/1.htm

RiversideRedneck wrote: Proverbs 18:15 An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.

TNK Proverbs 18:15 The mind of an intelligent man acquires knowledge; The ears of the wise seek out knowledge.(Pro 18:15 TNK)

NIV Proverbs 18:15 The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.(Pro 18:15 NIV)

Proverbs 18:15 is part of a set of general instructions, much like The Instructions to Shurrupak.
http://biblehub.com/proverbs/18.htm

RiversideRedneck wrote: Titus 2:1 But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.

NIV Titus 2:1 You must teach what is in accord with sound doctrine.(Tit 2:1 NIV)

CJB Titus 2:1 But you, explain what kind of behavior goes along with sound teaching.(Tit 2:1 CJB)

This is also in Titus 2: Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.(Tit 2:9,10 NIV) http://biblehub.com/titus/2.htm

RiversideRedneck wrote: Proverbs 10:17 ESV / 45 helpful votes
Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray.

He who follows discipline shows the way to life, But he who ignores reproof leads astray.(Pro 10:17 TNK)

He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.(Pro 10:17 NIV)

Also in Proverbs 10: The fear of the LORD adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.(Pro 10:27 NIV)
http://biblehub.com/proverbs/10.htm

mhmmm... They all relate to the "wisdom" of the "god", or bible.

None relate to Pi.

Pretty much what I expected.

I was going to just provide alternate translations taken from BibleWorks, but then I figured it'd be best to reference to the books/chapters/verse being examined, so they were linked @ http://biblehub.com/

Fennario

#553933 Jul 3, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
Chess Jurist. JesUs CHrist.
Also correct.

Fennario

#553935 Jul 3, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
This kind of thinking, I think :), is just the tip of the ice burg. I do believe if time allows, science and spirituality will meet and both be correct.
Science and spirituality have already met. So have matter and consciousness.

The beauty of DNA carrying information in the form of standing waves rippling up and down the electron cloud of the deoxyribose-phosphate spine is at least twofold:

[1] Such waves serve as an additional repository of information in the DNA distinct from the sequence of bases. This is where things like instincts would most likely be stored, not in the purine and pyrimidine bases, triplets of which code for amino acids, This is a fine way to store instructions for assembling proteins, but is too clumsy and ineffective a way to store ideas, urges, and preferences.

[2] Such a storage medium allows for the possibility of Lamarkian type inheritance, meaning the recording of behaviors acquired or learned during life, and their passage to offspring. Lamarkianism is anathema in biology today.

[3] This would be a good place to look for the emergence of consciousness, which need not be confined to the brain or even reside there at all. Consciousness depends on the brain, but that does not mean that it resides there. If our brains were in our pelvises, it would still likely feel like we were in our heads, because that is where all of our exteroceptive senses apart from touch reside (vision, hearing, taste and smell). I'm pretty sure that I would still feel like "I" - the personal self - was still in my head right behind my eyes even if it were possible to sever the connections between my brain and body, fit the severed terminals with radio broadcasting and receiving devices that perfectly mimicked the old physical connections, and remove the brain to the next room.

Fennario

#553936 Jul 4, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Wise men create Myths about reality. Myths are not meant to give definitive answers but inspire people to seek their own answer. Our explanations reflect our understanding. The meaning improves as we develop.
Common People are not very interested in abstract ideas. They can not relate to that, so wise men use comparisons. For instance you go to Amazon Indians who hardly use technology and talk about cars and say you have Ferrari. They understand nothing of this, so you draw a picture in the sand, but they still do not understand. How can you relate it so it has meaning to them? You may say something like. A car is like a canoe. And my Ferrari is like a panther.
Did you tell them pure nonsense? No, after all an entity is nothing but a collection of properties. You brought across that the qualities of a Ferrari is that of a means of transport and it is powerful and fast.
People revere aspects/principles ruling reality, and call them Gods. Some are purely spiritual in nature. They have no physical appearance. To describe their qualities we make comparisons. Wise men tell Myths. Those use describe qualities and behaviour. They seems odd, until you recognize the meaning in direct experience.
Now to mother Nature. You assume Reality is only Nature, but Reality has two basic aspects, one is male and the other is female. This is not based on sexes. In fact all men and women have both male and female qualities.
No these qualities underlie sexes and many other divisions in reality. We find these qualities underlying division in Consciousness and Matter, Spirit and Body, Active and Passive, Giving and Taking, Light and dark, and also differences between Men and Women.
Male and Female are such basic aspects we can not express them in more basic aspects. So we have to describe them in things they express themselves in.
For common people differences in Man and Woman are easiest to understand as this is nearest to their world of experience. That is why many Nature religions start with a Father God (spirit) and Mother Goddess (Nature), which is the expression of the prime division in Reality.
But their is another reason these principles are personified, and that is that consciousness is in every aspect of reality. Reality around us is closer to us than modern man holds possible. This was directly experienced by ancient man, but becomes harder to see for modern man who does no longer relates to reality itself, but rather to the concepts of reality in his head. He is increasingly living in a virtual world of thought. A world in which everything is rationally connected, a wire frame model filled up with emotions.
<quoted text>
Nor should you. Spirituality is not something you develop in yourself. People develop it in their own time and way. It is not in a particular method, nor is it in the words or conception. A loving atheist is easily more spiritual than a non-loving theist. Basically spirituality is cultivating subtle feeling in stead of feelings, it changes your relation with and perception of reality.
Thank you for that. Interesting, but I don't identify with it. I just don't seem to want or need myths. They don't add anything for me. I seem to experience intuited essences and archetypes just fine without the symbols and stories, none of which amplify the experience for me. People like you and G_O_D must be different in some way, since those things appeal to you so much more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min spinosaurus baryonyx 49,692
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min guest 647,100
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 7 min SonnyWu 166
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 13 min Steve III 391
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 34 min MUQ2 281,296
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 41 min MUQ2 44,733
for fiend friend 1 hr ravi 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Annaleigh 105,693
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr The Hangman 971,830
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 15 hr Jockfullonutz 28
More from around the web