“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#553720 Jul 3, 2013
_JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>You are not worth Jesus loving, but He still died for you. He gave you the priceless when you had nothing of value.
You still have nothing of value.

<face palm>

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#553721 Jul 3, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
In Germany 13 is a lucky number
It's an unlucky number here. But you have to be superstitious.

One theory is that it's because there are 13 moon months every years. Later, this became associated with witchcraft.

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#553722 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Osiris was also resurrected from the Dead, another concept possibly borrowed by Christians.
So was Tammuz, I believe.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553723 Jul 3, 2013
Mark wrote:
I do not mind communities having an organized religion, as long as they do not proselyte and allow people to leave. That is two problems with Christianity and Islam.
I see much greater problems than those. In America, the church shapes minds. America has a huge problem with climate science deniers, who have been trained to disesteem science and scientists by a church that understands that science embarrasses it.

Another huge impact for the worse that the church and its opinion manufacturing apparatus has had was in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections in America.

Then there is the matter that Russell referred to which you and I both cited:

"You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world."

That last sentence is incomplete. Christianity has also been and still is the principal enemy of intellectual progress in the world. This is one such blighted Christian mind:

“We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand”- James Watt, Secretary of the Interior under Reagan

Fennario

#553724 Jul 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Why is devotion to unseen, unknown and unnamed gods more desirable than directing those same sentiments toward the universe itself, which may be godless?
Mark wrote:
Good question. The Universal God is all. All is the same as Nothing. Everything is much a choice as nothing. It is all the good and all the bad, it does not give direction.
That kind of language isn't very helpful for me. Koans (and myths) have some utility for the purpose of self-exploration, but direct expository discourse is the best way to communicate ideas clearly. I don't see an answer to my question there.
Mark wrote:
Why do we revere something? Not because it is all, but it is a quality we like to require. We revere people we look up to, we do not revere all the people. Devotion is making a spiritual connection to something that is dear to us.
Agreed.

But regarding the cosmos, which is not a person, why redirect that energy and attention to imagined persons? Can't we respect nature without calling it Mother Nature and treating it like a person?
Mark wrote:
For instance it is very logical to revere ones parents and ancestors, but also our children, this creates an ongoing bond and sense of purpose. It is good to revere high principles like love, truth, compassion, this makes you better and more happy person. It is also good to revere things in nature, this makes you more respectful to nature. Etc.[edited for length, full text at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... ]
Thank you for that, but I still don't find a reason to worship, revere, or be devoted to unseen, unknown and unnamed gods in your answer. I'm going to assume that you do so because you like to do so. I guess I'm different. I don't seem to have any inclination to do that.

Thank you for sharing your insights.

Fennario

#553725 Jul 3, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Speaking of mobs:
Priest Beheaded as Crowd Cheers
http://www.charismanews.com/world/40083-pries...
"The priest was the first victim, Catholic Online reported, followed by the two others. Their executioner appears to use a kitchen knife, after which their severed heads are placed on top of their bodies. Dozens of observers capture the scene on smartphones as the mob chants "Allahu Akbar" (Allah is greater) "with jihadi rapture," the report says."

This kind of thing always seems to come as a surprise to you people. My father used to teach that, "If you f**k with the bull, expect to take the horn." That would be good advice to all potential future missionaries thinking of taking their gods where they and their religion are not wanted.

You don't suppose that that priest forgot to pray to his god in those last minutes of his life, do you? If so, I guess his god was nowhere to be found. Perhaps his faith was misplaced. Apparently Allahu was akbar that day.

Whatever thoughts were racing through the priest's head just before it was removed, isn't religion beautiful?

Shouldn't you be rejoicing? It was you that said, "If people don't like you or what you say you are without a doubt on the right path." To a believer, this story should serve as evidence that the priest was on the right path, although to me, it's evidence of the foolishness of such a thought.

And thanks for sharing more of the Christian victim mindset with us. We can always count on you to bring us the daily "woe is me" news.

Fennario

#553726 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
The entire USA cheers at the murder of an Islamic Holy Man by a Christian assassin.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/opinion/bergen-...
Good point.

Fennario

#553727 Jul 3, 2013
"Christ certainly as depicted in the Gospels did believe in everlasting punishment, and one does find repeatedly a vindictive fury against those people who would not listen to His preaching [...] You will find that in the Gospels Christ said, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of Hell." That was said to people who did not like His preaching [...] He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth. It comes in one verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there is a certain pleasure in contemplating wailing and gnashing of teeth, or else it would not occur so often." - Bertrand Russell
Favorite Adversary wrote:
Russell's knowledge of context was sorely lacking. Jesus said these words to the organized religious leaders who were perverting the scriptures for their own use and influence in Israeli society much as televangelists do today.
It's interesting how often the apologist's response is that a certain scripture doesn't apply any more, or only to a limited group. I think that it was Riverside Redneck telling us that much of the bible that you all carry to church every Sunday isn't actually for you - it was for Levites.
G_O_D wrote:
And by extension, Romans, Galatians, Thessalonians, Philippians, Colossians, Ephesians, Corinthians and Hebrews.
Good point again. I'll have to mention that to the next Christian that tells me which scriptures were not meant for him because they were written to other people in other times.

I used to think that Hebrews 6:4-6 tells us that "it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

Now I understand that that only pertains to Hebrews.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#553728 Jul 3, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I wanted to say howdy side :) Hi Serah :) Hope you are having a great day :)
Home already LOL ~ how is your day/evening going Bernie :)

Fennario

#553729 Jul 3, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
This comes from Bible facts book.
The only book thinner than "Beautiful Duets for Accordion and Bagpipe"

Fennario

#553730 Jul 3, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Well no one ever meet anyone who talks like you either.
Thanks, Whispers. How the heck are you?
Bongo

West Babylon, NY

#553731 Jul 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Whether an itinerant zealot named Jesus existed or not - and what if anything such a person actually believed or said if he did exist - is not so much the point as is what the character in the book is alleged to have said. There is not much doubt in my mind that the book god threatens us with a literal hell:
[1] "anyone who says,'You fool!" will be in danger of the fire of Hell." (Matthew 5:22)
[2] "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 8:12)
[3] "Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)
[4] "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (Matthew 25:46)
[5] "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:44)
You're expected to be pretty scared by now.
Jesus a zealot, that's a mischaracteriztation. Us sentient beings think we are special but we are not. We are as expendable as the billion chickens we slaughter every day.#3 means take heed.

Fennario

#553732 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Recall that in the book, Jesus says he talks in parables, not literally.
Somebody should have told Jesus that that's not the best way to communicate effectively if what you have to say is important and needs to be understood properly. Imagine a cookbook, an assembly manual, a telephone book, directions to a destination, or a last will and testament written in parables.

How about a GPS system for your car that speaks in parables? That'd be a hoot.

Fennario

#553733 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Had to take a Vicodin an hour ago and I still hurt. Looking forward to being knocked for the colonoscopy tomorrow. Best sleep I will have gotten in a long time.
Confucius say, "The search of the inner self requires a prepared mind."

Fennario

#553734 Jul 3, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Jesus a zealot, that's a mischaracteriztation.
How so? Wasn't the Jesus of the bible an activist fanatically committed to his mission?
Bongo

West Babylon, NY

#553735 Jul 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Somebody should have told Jesus that that's not the best way to communicate effectively if what you have to say is important and needs to be understood properly. Imagine a cookbook, an assembly manual, a telephone book, directions to a destination, or a last will and testament written in parables.
How about a GPS system for your car that speaks in parables? That'd be a hoot.
----------
Proverbs 11:10 When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy Parables are great, helps keep out the riff raff

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#553736 Jul 3, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and my little sis. I have a feeling u probably have seen me somewhere, i bloody hope not, tho!
Are you on youtube? Send us a link?

#553737 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Culture and society evolve over time. That's why the Constitution must be considered a living, dynamic, adaptable document. The "originalists" (Scalia et al.) prefer a Constitution set in stone as of the 1790s.
Scalia is a useless douche, sorry to say.

How can anyone be as uninformed as he is?

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#553738 Jul 3, 2013
M^O^R^N^I^N^G

“It’s not who you are that holds you back.
It’s who you think you’re not.”

~ Denis Waitley

Thought for the Day

#553739 Jul 3, 2013
<quoted text>
The only book thinner than "Beautiful Duets for Accordion and Bagpipe"
Used to be, until the new ISBN release: "Journey through the mind of a blonde"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Buck Crick 744,505
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 5 min jojo321 982
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min KiMare 228,644
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Chuck 545,272
Are You A Friend Or An Enemy To Humans? Read Th... 8 min End Of Days 6
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 10 min yon 3,361
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Aura Mytha 260,298
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr NEWS-FLASH 174,213

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE