Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553802 Jul 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Somebody should have told Jesus that [using parables is] not the best way to communicate effectively if what you have to say is important and needs to be understood properly. Imagine a cookbook, an assembly manual, a telephone book, directions to a destination, or a last will and testament written in parables. How about a GPS system for your car that speaks in parables? That'd be a hoot.
G_O_D wrote:
Note how useful hyperbole and metaphor is even on this thread. Even you use it for effect.
Yes, I do.

But I don't use parables to teach, and if teaching, I use metaphor and hyperbole only to amplify plain expository prose, not as a substitute for it.

I'm all for vague language in art. Song lyrics should be written in such a style.

But I'll bet that if I were a god and made a trip to earth to give my infinitely important and critical message to my creation, one that needed to be understood clearly and obeyed to the letter, I probably wouldn't use vague language.

OK, limericks maybe. And knock-knock jokes.

"Knock-knock"
"Who's there?"
"Jurgen"
"Jurgen who?"
"Yer gonna burn in hell, you sinning piece of crap!"

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#553803 Jul 3, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep putting this back onto me for some reason.
You have proof the icons are now being given by Mike?
Did he admit to them? For just last week you had it all figured out as being two other posters.
How are you comfortable in throwing names out the way you are?
You are coming pretty close to what Skom does in slandering others.
I find it unfair and as ugly as 99% of Skom's posts.
Not sure why the icons bother you so, I find it silly and a waste of time to acknowledge them..
Just my opinion , of course, and will let it rest at that.
Can you walk to the beach? So glad you love your new home.
Please give Kay my best, I think of her and 70's often..
Take care- wishing you a happy 4th.
Because you throw things out like that all the time.....

Its just ICONS....nothing to get upset over.....I was just stating an observation (which bothered you)

I may talk about the icons every day now....LOL

No....20 miles is pretty far to walk....Happy 4th also

Fennario

#553804 Jul 3, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about this; In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Matthew 15:9
and this one;
We ought to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:29
and this one;
Let no soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God. Romans 13:1
This was the point I was reaching for Just my opinion is all which is really of no importance.
You are following men - the ones that told you that the words in their book came from a god.

I'll obey the first god that comes to me directly.

“FOUR HORSEMEN!”

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#553805 Jul 3, 2013
HELP wrote:
Why do i always feel like im being followed?
When Ric Flair and I smoke weed it makes us so paranoid we always think people are following us. So imagine the surprise when someone really WAS following us! The guy stopped in his police car right behind us, got out, put a gun to my head and told me to give him the drugs and the money and then just ran to his car and drove off! You can imagine how disrespected one Tully Blanchard was!
That man would be found dead 3 days later after "falling" off a cliff rock. HA!

FOUR HORSEMEN!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#553806 Jul 3, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like all these Abrahamic religions have only one goal, and that is to destroy all others. Not only religion, but peoples culture, society structure even their natural environment. And they call that religions of peace.
I like diversity. If a Universal God is to be attributed a will, than diversity is certainly his will, and what these religions are doing is the opposite.
<quoted text>
Sounds great and makes sense. Religion should make sense and should elevate man. What nonsense to say God is all, but at the same time deny man to be Divine as well.
There is a secret war going on in this world, between those that want man to be a free soul and Divine and those that want man to be a servant and give up his soul.
Exactly, that is what is happening in the world. Most people haven't got a clue, they think it's some stupid conspiracy theory. This is why I sometimes sound really frustrated and I really defend my philosophy. If I don't, then we will go extinct like the Dodo. I'm with you on this one.

Mindless people who think they are animals are easier to control and brainwash. That's why they want to destroy the eastern philosophy of dharma, because it turns a man from an animal to a god. Dharma tells you to stop acting like an animal and grow up.

I agree with you again, they want man to be a servant to his desires. That is the war that has been going on since the beginning. Why else do you think the west has and is destroying all the different cultures? We've got to keep our beliefs alive, that's the only thing keeping us free.
Walking Tall

Oakland, CA

#553807 Jul 3, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No....20 miles is pretty far to walk....Happy 4th also
Walking Tall

Oakland, CA

#553808 Jul 3, 2013
Tully Blanchard wrote:
<quoted text>
When Ric Flair and I smoke weed it makes us so paranoid we always think people are following us. So imagine the surprise when someone really WAS following us! The guy stopped in his police car right behind us, got out, put a gun to my head and told me to give him the drugs and the money and then just ran to his car and drove off! You can imagine how disrespected one Tully Blanchard was!
That man would be found dead 3 days later after "falling" off a cliff rock. HA!
FOUR HORSEMEN!

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#553809 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Had to take a Vicodin an hour ago and I still hurt.
Looking forward to being knocked for the colonoscopy tomorrow. Best sleep I will have gotten in a long time.
"Always look on the bright side of life..." Monty Python
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jHPOzQzk9QoXX
Good luck with that - hope it all goes well.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#553810 Jul 3, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Some say it immoral, others don't. Based on the other definition of murder, it is murder to some.
Yes, I know. But I wasn't talking about the morality of abortion, just the legality.
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#553811 Jul 3, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep putting this back onto me for some reason.
You have proof the icons are now being given by Mike?
Did he admit to them? For just last week you had it all figured out as being two other posters.
How are you comfortable in throwing names out the way you are?
You are coming pretty close to what Skom does in slandering others.
I find it unfair and as ugly as 99% of Skom's posts.
Not sure why the icons bother you so, I find it silly and a waste of time to acknowledge them..
Just my opinion , of course, and will let it rest at that.
Can you walk to the beach? So glad you love your new home.
Please give Kay my best, I think of her and 70's often..
Take care- wishing you a happy 4th.
Why does it bother YOU, that Epi or Chris or ANYONE says anything about these ICONS so much?!! Is it just another way to start trouble as you sure are good at.! It appears you are the one that lets the icon upset you more than they are.

Don't let what these posters say about the ICONS bother you so much.

You are a very TROUBLED poster. Get 'Peace of mind'

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553812 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverside Redneck is a perfect example of this. No matter what rational arguments are presented to him (and Double Fine has been doing a magnificent job of this), he returns to his infantile, irrational beliefs, based on his "personal relationship" with a fictitious, incorporeal, omnipotent being.
DF was doing great, until he started talking about God being disproven....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553813 Jul 3, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You're wrong about both what a skeptic is and what skeptics think.
A skeptic is defined as a person that questions or doubts accepted opinions.

Atheist skeptics doubt the existence of God.

Theist skeptics doubt thing like the Big Bang.

And...?

Fennario

#553814 Jul 3, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
Believe it or not, Christians are supposed to read the bible critically.
According to whom? It's my understanding that Catholics don't read it much at all. And I know that literacy and the printing press were huge setbacks for the RCC.

When I was a Christian - full gospel, Pentacostal Protestant - we were always discouraged from asking questions. More than one or two were met with anger and challenges to the quality of our faith.

Faith is considered a virtue in Christianity, and reason a stumbling block. Here's a nice quote from the founder of Protestantism followed by a few more, and then some supporting scriptures :

[1] "Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense & understanding. Whatever it sees must be put out of sight with nothing but the word of god remaining in view.- To be a christian, you must pluck out the eye of reason." - Martin Luther

[2] "They were allowed to stay there on one condition, and that is that they didn't eat of the tree of knowledge. That has been the condition of the Christian church from then until now. They haven't eaten as yet, as a rule they do not." - Clarence Darrow

[3]”The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.”- Mark Twain

[4] "So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

[1] For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." - 1 Corinthians 1:19

[2] He said, "Go and tell this people: "'Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.”- Isaiah 6:9

[3] Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed." - Isaiah 6:10

Fennario

#553815 Jul 3, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
We're supposed to look into the correct context of any given chapter or book. That's the critical part of reading it.
That's not what I mean by critical thought.

In my experience, when when Christian apologists start talking about context, they're trying to change the apparent meaning of a passage by citing a contradictory one and giving it priority. Critical thinking includes challenging such assertions.

Besides, a divine author wouldn't be so opaque. These pseudointellectual machinations used to justify the myriad internal contradictions, failed prophecies, unkept promises and errors of scientific and historical fact are not critical thought. They are specious argumentation.

Here's a bit of wisdom better than any original idea in your bible:

"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common sense”- Edward Abbey"

Most Christians can usually only take this kind of rebuttal for about four posts before they pass into phase two. I hope you do better. See if you can keep it intellectual, and not personal or emotional.

What I am referring to here is the three-stage evolution of intellectual Christians I see too often on these threads. Phase one is just like you: polite, well spoken, and focused on ideas.

Phase two begins when the Christian has become frustrated debating ideas and gets miffed. I think that they start envisioning Satan's involvement through me. The speech becomes more charged and personal, and there is generally an exclamation that his faith is unshakable. Also, I usually get to learn what my actual motives and character are.

The third phase is damnation of my god-hating soul by proxy, with meltdown optional. Adam just showed us this.

Don't do that yourself. You'll likely be tempted to go that way, but don't yield to it. Keep it elevated.

I realize that I reject everything that you consider holy and that my thoughts are blasphemous to you. Sorry in advance. I can't avoid it without diluting my opinion, and I don't choose to do that. In any event, it's not done to offend, however much it might.

And if you choose to disengage, I hope that you will keep it at the level of ideas when you do, not people. It's such a Christian thing to start pointing the finger at the other poster and turning the conversation to his disobedience or pride or whatever. Be better.

Anyway, good luck to us, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553816 Jul 3, 2013

When I was a Christian - full gospel, Pentacostal Protestant - we were always discouraged from asking questions. More than one or two were met with anger and challenges to the quality of our faith.
You went to a strange church, my man.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#553817 Jul 3, 2013

[4] "So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell
Proverbs 1:5

Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance

Proverbs 18:15

An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.

Titus 2:1

But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.

Proverbs 10:17 ESV / 45 helpful votes

Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray.

Location hidden

#553818 Jul 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, airplanes do have row 13, at least the airliners I have been on, and that's quite a few.
The pig remark was metaphorical. I like pigs (especially pink ones and pot-bellied ones), and I don't eat them either.
But do they have a 13 seat? I'll try and check next time.

I know! Can't I even talk to u for no good reason? I'll try and come up with a better reason next time, u might have to wait a bit tho.

Thank goodness for that!!

Location hidden

#553819 Jul 3, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. I thought you wouldn't know what it was..........
Its when a Catholic watches over the body of Christ.........
Google it........
Are u trying to make me look more stupid than I am?

What? Catholic? Google? OMG? You're fired!!

Location hidden

#553820 Jul 3, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your government agrees with you. Deprivation of freedom in Guantanamo Bay, sanctified torture by the CIA, secretly monitoring everyone with Prism, secret laws, your constitution is already regarded as very fluid indeed by your government. The USA has one of the best constitutions in the World, If I were you I would not let anyone temper with it, but defend it like it were the holy grail. Otherwise you will be sorry.
OMG, that's what I say! I can't believe this! Am I dreaming? I agree with u again!!

Location hidden

#553821 Jul 3, 2013
Hear ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.

For I give you good doctrine forsake ye not my law.

For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.

He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: Keep my commandments, and live.

Get wisdom, get understanding forget it not: neither decline from words of my mouth.

Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.

She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace; a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

Hear,O my son and receive my sayings; and they years of thy life shall be many.
Proverbs 4:1-10

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 18 min River Tam 101,076
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 286,463
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr emperorjohn 445,666
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr bagittagit 980,307
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 hr guest 670,486
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr Sky Writer 31 184,303
Fraud DoctoRx 9 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
More from around the web