“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#553669 Jul 2, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the response. I don't know of any verse off the top of my head where El is addressing the Elohim. If you are referring to psalm 82, I did see one translation that translated it that way. But the majority translate it as God among the gods(the judges etc.) And God didn't speak to them it was them being told God was in their midst and would judge them. That is my understanding. As you understand it, I would have to say your conclusion is logical. As I understand it, I think my conclusion is logical. That is if faith can be logical. But that is another discussion :)Just some of my thoughts n the matter :)
Both our interpretations are logical.

That is why I like discussing this stuff with you.

Note that in Genesis El says "Let US make man in out image."
Another plural conundrum.
I like the Jewish concept of the Bible being incomplete and having an eternity of 'problems' to discuss... with none of the explanations having the weight of "God's Word.".
It is why Judaism is called by Jews a "Tradition" not a "Religion".
I often think that not treating Christianity as "Tradition" is the greatest mistake Christianity ever made.

Always good to converse with you B-Man.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553671 Jul 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And, going back to Tide's quote from Jefferson: Jefferson's view was that a Constitution should last just one generation. He believed a new one should be forged every 20 years or so, to adapt to changing times. Madison disagreed.
One could easily compare secluar stances to religious ones. Literalists through Reformers.

Strange that few are up to that dialogue without getting personal.
Bongo

Brentwood, NY

#553673 Jul 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And, going back to Tide's quote from Jefferson: Jefferson's view was that a Constitution should last just one generation. He believed a new one should be forged every 20 years or so, to adapt to changing times. Madison disagreed.
World renown Buck Crik needs to come back here and inculcate you . If you obey Buck maybe you may be able to change your reputation of being a DORK.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553674 Jul 2, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like they're TRYING to sound immoral.
I tend to agree with you.

Some put forth the 'message' that all humans are vile monster but monsters who "have Jesus" are 'better' monsters.

Myself, I think Jesus taught how not be a monster at all.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553675 Jul 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
.... he returns to his infantile, irrational beliefs, based on his "personal relationship" with a fictitious, incorporeal, omnipotent being.
I can understand that part. What I find irritating is making it a word game instead of a conversation.

I don't have the time or energy for games anymore.

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#553678 Jul 2, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. for me, Red Apples hit an all-time low by insisting Alice (River Tam) is lying about her leg amputation. Your thoughts ??..
Y lie about such a thing?! Out of the 2 of them, she's the one who has at least one leg to stand on.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553679 Jul 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Why do you say that? Why isn't this a Christian? They talk about true Christians while imagining some idealized person that you seldom or never encounter. What is truer than the kind that actually exist? Sure, some transcend this level. But do they do that because their church trains them to be better people, or do they get help from some aspect of nature or nurture outside of the church, like a good family or good genes. This religion lets you be as immoral as you want to be. Far from teaching character, which is not done from a book, it facilitates poor character. Forgiveness is available on demand. The religion teaches you that you are already more moral than heathens. So we see all variety of character road kill in this thread, each claiming that Jesus is their Lord and master. Nice work, Jesus. Red Apples is a Christian to me. So are Skombolis and Dr. Shrink. True Christians, just like the Pacific is a true ocean and Everest is a true ocean
Skombolis wrote:
no man is in a position to speak on who is a "true Christian"
That is incorrect.
Skombolis wrote:
Although by your own admission you have given at least 6 Christians you claim are good people that you have no problem with.
Your words, not mine.

If you want to produce a comment I made and discuss it, I will. If all that you are willing to do is to paraphrase what you think you read, don't bother. You won't be taken seriously.
Skombolis wrote:
That's more people you like that are Christian in here than you don't like.
That's neither true nor relevant.

Fennario

#553680 Jul 2, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Yet you remain a bigot and justify it by claiming the people you don't like are the "true Christians" so you can feel better about being a bigot
Aren't you a true Christian? Don't you consider yourself a true Christian? I do.
Skombolis wrote:
Our disagreements don't even have anything to do with the faith
Of course they do. If you weren't a faith based thinker, I would likely have the same relationship with you that I do with EVERY OTHER skeptic on this thread - amicable. All of the squabbling is with Christians, and is obviously related to their Christianity.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553681 Jul 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
... much of the bible that you all carry to church every Sunday isn't actually for you - it was for Levites.
And by extension, Romans, Galatians, Thessalonians, Philippians, Colossians, Ephesians, Corinthians and Hebrews.

I guess only people from the Eastern Mediterranean need listen to anything Paul wrote.

'Praise the Lord !'

"Free at Last! free at last!
Thank God Almighty! We're free at last!" - MLK

“Religion kills”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#553682 Jul 2, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard about buildings where the floor numbering skips the thirteenth floor.
I've never seen that in any buildings in Europe, Asia or Australia.
Perhaps it's predominantly an American thing?
It called triskaidekaphobia. I was born of the 13th, so consider it my lucky number.

Fennario

#553684 Jul 2, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I am desensitized somewhat to the levels man can sink while remaining very aware of it
That would be expected for you by now. It also seems like a worthwhile adaptation given your life's arc.
Skombolis wrote:
Name the single biggest real life accomplishment your little pretend campaign against Christianity has had in real life LOL, I will be waiting a long time for an answer won't I?
Probably. I'm not really interested in trying to discuss anything with you any more. It's not possible. I can only contradict your comments or post about you.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#553686 Jul 2, 2013
John Coffey wrote:
Morning Granny, what a refreshing thread this is so far. Only time will tell if it stays this way. Nice sunny day here in my neck of the woods with the fresh snow from the last couple of days it's beautiful outside. More snow on the way late tonight they say. Personally I'm hoping for a lot of snow over the next week so when I head south to Florida for a couple of weeks it will make it even sweeter driving south going from the cold snow to the warm sunshine of the sunshine state. Hope you have a fantastic day. God bless you and God bless everyone here.
Good evening John and Old School Granny. I was just passing through and saw both of you were still on the thread. I got off the forums for quiet a while because of all the fighting that people were doing when they invaded all the threads. I wanted to give all of you a wave as I passed by.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#553687 Jul 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is almost identical to the verses in the Sumerian creation tablets from 4000 years earlier.
IMHO, Judaism, Christianity and Islam can not be understood without realizing they are all variants of the Sumerian religion.
I think that extends to the entire region and pretty much all of the cultures that emerged from the region, and it shouldn't be surprising, since the Sumerian culture was one of the first and most dominant in the Fertile Crescent.

Every culture afterwards, retained some portion of Sumerian mythology.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553688 Jul 2, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Y lie about such a thing?! Out of the 2 of them, she's the one who has at least one leg to stand on.
Excellent and accurate!

Fennario

#553690 Jul 2, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
"Homosexual pedophiles sexually molest children at a far greater rate compared to the percentage of homosexuals in the general population." For the record i have no idea if this is true
I do. It is true. It is analytically true, the same way that "All bachelors are unmarried" is analytically true
Skombolis wrote:
the author is NOT saying pedophile homosexuals molest more than non-pedophile homosexuals
Yes, I know. I told you what the sentence says. It says that if you consider the set of all homosexuals, the subset that are pedophiles moles children at a greater rate that the ones that are not pedophiles. It was an amazing insight.
Skombolis wrote:
The RATE he is referring to is per capita
That for the percentage of homosexuals in the general population, there is a disproportionately high rate of pedophiles
I'm afraid that you mangled that one, too. The meaning of the sentence is self-evident. He didn't refer to heterosexuals in that sentence.
Skombolis wrote:
this is just another example of you being incapable of admitting you are wrong so matter ho obvious
My sentiments exactly, albeit in reverse.

Fennario

#553691 Jul 2, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Of course pedophiles molest more that non-pedophiles. It is absurd to think that is what the author wrote.
This is undoubtedly how you process the absurd things that you read in your bible. You just assume they couldn't means what they seem to mean, and change it to something that you like better. Aren't you also one of the Christians that doesn't want there to be a hell, so there isn't one?
Skombolis wrote:
how is that tautology? He is reinforcing a false truth that pedophiles molest more than non-pedophiles?
False truth? You're confused.

Look up the word:

Tautology - "the saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style. A phrase or expression in which the same thing is said twice in different words."
Skombolis wrote:
The tautology you are arguing he is presenting is just what I said he said, that a higher rate of abusers are homosexuals
That is neither what the sentence says, nor tautological.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#553692 Jul 2, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> World renown Buck Crik needs to come back here and inculcate you . If you obey Buck maybe you may be able to change your reputation of being a DORK.
So wake up Buck, get him out of his stupor and back here.

I miss the give-and-take with him on the Constitution and the role of the Supreme Court.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553693 Jul 2, 2013
.....If you weren't a faith based thinker, I would likely have the same relationship with you that I do with EVERY OTHER skeptic on this thread - amicable. All of the squabbling is with Christians, and is obviously related to their Christianity.
I Guess I am somewhere in between. <smile>

I have some 'superstitious' beliefs but can also "bury the hatchet" and "kiss and make-up".

Personally what people believe doesn't matter much to me. It is what one says and does that makes one honorable (a "Ben'Adam" as the Israelis say).

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#553694 Jul 2, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
I really enjoyed it. It compliments some theories I have floating around in my head :) I thought you would like it :) Pretty fascinating :)
It was. There have been many experiments done in this area. It has also been done with "physical" elements.
It appears there is a 5th dimension where nearly 1/2 of actuality can exist and become intangible and invisible to the 3rd dimension. It is accomplished with "frequency" modulation. I believe it is the catalyst of super-conductance causing an atomic realignment.
The human nervous system is reliant on just such a "type" of system...therefor, so also could the information paths of the chromosomes.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#553695 Jul 2, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It called triskaidekaphobia. I was born of the 13th, so consider it my lucky number.
In Germany 13 is a lucky number

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Anthony MN 542,989
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Winter is Coming 739,996
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min Dr_Zorderz 259,640
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min KiMare 227,727
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min lisw 173,784
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 29 min RiccardoFire 95,527
AIDS , EBOLA as a DePopulation BioWeapon 35 min Dr_Zorderz 13
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 2 hr Joana 155

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••