Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553698 Jul 2, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Christianity has always been a white patriarchal religion that embraces the enslavement of others be it blacks, atheists, gays, Hispanics or females ..
.. yesterday, Ohio passed a stringent abortion law that virtually withdraws a woman's right to her body. What's missing from this picture ??..
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ohio...
.. do you see any women? You guessed it !!- a Christian governor flanked by men ..
.. in Texas today, another draconian anti-abortion bill will probably pass. Who presented it? You guessed it !!- a Christian governor and his male cohorts. This bill even prevents rape crisis centers from counseling a woman on her options and will make abortion in TX virtually illegal ..
Yes, that's Christianity.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. turn about is fair play, right? If men can tell women what they can and cannot do with their womb, women should be able to tell men what they can and cannot do with their penis. Wouldn't you agree ??..
That might not be revenge.

You remind me of a joke:

When a man talks dirty to a woman, thatís sexual harassment.
When a woman talks dirty to a man, thatís $4.95 a minute.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#553699 Jul 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that's Christianity.
<quoted text>
That might not be revenge.
You remind me of a joke:
When a man talks dirty to a woman, thatís sexual harassment.
When a woman talks dirty to a man, thatís $4.95 a minute.
A man who looks into a house through a window and sees a naked woman inside is guilty of being a peeping tom.

If a woman looks into a house through a window and sees a naked man inside, he's guilty of indecent exposure.

Fennario

#553700 Jul 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
One should understand that Jesus was a Jew. Even today the Jewish concept of "an everlasting Hell" is what in common terms is called a "guilty conscience".
How many people do you know that are "haunted" by mistakes of the past, will "carry guilt to their grave". We can carry these feelings over accidental and purposeful actions to the extreme and create for ourselves a "Hell on earth" in our psyches.
However, it is possible that Jesus had been Hellenized and had adopted pagan beliefs in an afterlife thus a Tartarus and Elesian Fields dichotic hereafter concepts.
In the later case, one could argue (depending on the Jewish doctrine)that he was a sinful Jew OR that there was nothing wrong with postmortem speculation.
In reality, if the Sanhedrin wanted to get rid of him it would have been for far more things that Jesus said than claiming to be the Messiah (which never was, nor is, blasphemy in Judaism).
Whether an itinerant zealot named Jesus existed or not - and what if anything such a person actually believed or said if he did exist - is not so much the point as is what the character in the book is alleged to have said. There is not much doubt in my mind that the book god threatens us with a literal hell:

[1] "anyone who says,'You fool!" will be in danger of the fire of Hell." (Matthew 5:22)

[2] "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 8:12)

[3] "Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

[4] "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (Matthew 25:46)

[5] "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:44)

You're expected to be pretty scared by now.

Fennario

#553701 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
Proverbs 3:15
Gods don't write like this. I wouldn't write like this - compare two things and then immediately contradict myself by saying that one of them can't be compared.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#553702 Jul 2, 2013
Rachel's household Gods

When Rachel left her father's household after she married Jacob, she took with her the family's household gods and hid them under her saddle. Her father, Laban was alarmed enough to come after her and retrieve them. These were small idols kept in private households and consulted to get direction about the future. This comes from Bible facts book.

Location hidden

#553703 Jul 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Gods don't write like this. I wouldn't write like this - compare two things and then immediately contradict myself by saying that one of them can't be compared.
Well no one ever meet anyone who talks like you either.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#553704 Jul 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Whether an itinerant zealot named Jesus existed or not - and what if anything such a person actually believed or said if he did exist - is not so much the point as is what the character in the book is alleged to have said. There is not much doubt in my mind that the book god threatens us with a literal hell:
[1] "anyone who says,'You fool!" will be in danger of the fire of Hell." (Matthew 5:22)
[2] "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 8:12)
[3] "Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)
[4] "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (Matthew 25:46)
[5] "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:44)
You're expected to be pretty scared by now.
That would be the Christian interpretation. Yes.

A Jew would read that as:

1: Stupid people make mistakes that can make the them utterly miserable.

2: Grieving and mourning is a universal human experience.

3: Be careful of that voice in your head telling you to do things you know you shouldn't do and will regret for the rest of your life.(AKA Satan)

4: The people who give in to their animal instincts will have miserable lives while those who moderate their desires will usually be happy and pleasant.

5: Some mistakes in life are irreversible, the consequences will ruin your entire life.

One can take the words literally like a Christian or not. I choose not to. The 'Jewish' interpretation makes a whole lot more sense and actually is useful 'here and now'.

Recall that in the book, Jesus says he talks in parables, not literally.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553705 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Rachel's household Gods
When Rachel left her father's household after she married Jacob, she took with her the family's household gods and hid them under her saddle. Her father, Laban was alarmed enough to come after her and retrieve them. These were small idols kept in private households and consulted to get direction about the future. This comes from Bible facts book.
Yep.

it proves that the Hebrews were polytheists. It is backed up by archeology as well. Pure Monotheism was not even a Jewish doctrine until after the Babylonian captivity.

Location hidden

#553706 Jul 2, 2013
Artemis' sacred stone.

One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was the Temple of Artemis (Diana) at Ephesus. Paul's preaching against idolatry at Ephesus threatened the lucrative trade in religious souvenirs, since people came from all around to see the temple and the sacred stone that fell from the sky.(Acts 19:35) Comes from Bible fact book.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553707 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no one ever meet anyone who talks like you either.
I meet them all the time.

Of course I live a part of the country with an excellent education system in place and a tradition of free thinking.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553708 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Artemis' sacred stone.
One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was the Temple of Artemis (Diana) at Ephesus. Paul's preaching against idolatry at Ephesus threatened the lucrative trade in religious souvenirs, since people came from all around to see the temple and the sacred stone that fell from the sky.(Acts 19:35) Comes from Bible fact book.
Just like Luther and others threatened the income of the Catholic Churches.

"Follow the money"

Location hidden

#553709 Jul 2, 2013
Gnosticism Discovered.

In 1945,peasants at Nag Hammadi, on the Nile River in Egypt, discovered 13 ancient books written in Coptic that were from a Gnostic community living there about A.D. 200. The Gnostic were condemned as heretics by early church leaders, and many pseudo-Christian beliefs are indeed represented in these texts which include such tractates as the Gospel of Thomas, the Wisdom of Jesus Christ and the Apocalypse of Adam. along with portions of Plato's Republic. Comes from Bible fact book.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553710 Jul 2, 2013
Had to take a Vicodin an hour ago and I still hurt.

Looking forward to being knocked for the colonoscopy tomorrow. Best sleep I will have gotten in a long time.

"Always look on the bright side of life..." Monty Python

Location hidden

#553711 Jul 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I meet them all the time.
Of course I live a part of the country with an excellent education system in place and a tradition of free thinking.
I lay no claim to being smart or even well educated. What education I do have come in many different forms. I still in the mold learning and experiencing new adventures.

Location hidden

#553712 Jul 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like Luther and others threatened the income of the Catholic Churches.
"Follow the money"
You ever wonder what church is the largest investor in the stock market??? Maybe you know.

Location hidden

#553713 Jul 2, 2013
Zeus: The Greek High God.

Zeus was the sky god, lord of thunder and giver of weather enthroned on Mt Olympus. An altar to Zeus was erected in the temple by foreign occupiers of Jerusalem in 167 B.C. Which was a great desecration. Some scholars set the reference in Daniel 9:27 of a desolating sacrilege as a prediction of this event. Comes from Bible fact book.

Location hidden

#553714 Jul 2, 2013
Osiris: Chief Egyptian God.

Osiris was the chief Egyptian god during biblical times. He was the god of the dead of the netherworld and the afterlife. His importance was that he offered the possibility of continued life, modeled on the life people had known. He became associated with the Nile, whose annual rise brought new life to the earth. His cult probably came the closest to universal religion in Egypt in pre-Christian times. Comes from the Bible fact book.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553715 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
I lay no claim to being smart or even well educated. What education I do have come in many different forms. I still in the mold learning and experiencing new adventures.
I wasn't condemning you, I feel bad that you don't know many people that "talk like" IANS.
I know many Christians as eloquent and knowledgeable as IANS. My comment was not about Christians. Unfortunately many regions of the USA do not have adequate education.

You can learn much just reading these threads. However, if you are going to dismiss everything contrary to Bible "study guides", you won't learn much at all.

"At some point one in one's life, they should put aside Aesop's Fables and read the Iliad." - ME 1:40

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553716 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
You ever wonder what church is the largest investor in the stock market??? Maybe you know.
I don't know. Never thought about it.
Will keep my eyes open for that.
Thanks!
An interesting question.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#553717 Jul 2, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Zeus: The Greek High God.
Zeus was the sky god, lord of thunder and giver of weather enthroned on Mt Olympus. An altar to Zeus was erected in the temple by foreign occupiers of Jerusalem in 167 B.C. Which was a great desecration. Some scholars set the reference in Daniel 9:27 of a desolating sacrilege as a prediction of this event. Comes from Bible fact book.
When the Romans adopted the Greek religion they changed the name "Zeus" to "Deus". They considered Deus to be he Father God (like the Greeks did) and called him Deus Pater. In fact, most of Rome still uses that name and worships it. The earliest Bibles (Latin 350 AD) use Deus Pater as the name of the Christian god.

Zeus is actually the Christian God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min BenAdam 841,139
What were you before you were born? (Dec '07) 11 min andet1987 105
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 12 min Voyeur 53,358
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min kent 591,238
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 20 min andet1987 5,933
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 35 min Naveen kumar 7,166
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 35 min Voyeur 24,098
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 3 hr Sheila 262
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr Tony17 100,176
More from around the web