|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I was born in 1962 Appalachia.
I was "born"... Primitive Baptist, men folk in the right pews, women folk in the left pews, family folk with kids in the middle....
...After all of the different (gods/faiths), each supported by the bible in essence, I started to really look into god. Who is god? Where is god? What does god really want?. Why this god?. I looked at other gods. Religions. I really put time into it.
I pondered this throughout my time in the Army. The military has well stocked libraries. After I'd finished my service, at around 24-25, as an adult.
I understood I was atheist.
Thank you for sharing that. I didn't have that experience.

I never had any involvement in religion other than the secular rituals of the Winter Toy Festival and Easter candy Festival.
By the time I was 12 I was talking about mythology with Jews, Christians, Hindus, Atheists, Agnostics.
My parents family believed more in old world 'folk magic' than main stream 'Christianity' although the pagan belief were ALWAYS put in Christian terms.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents are missionaries. I'm just fine not "fitting in". They still love me as far as I know.
Do you care about the label on your clothes?

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on the venue.
Have you seen any of my actions? My words are less dangerous.
I doubt you would hurt anyone without just cause.

I would trust yo with my life, River. Not much left of it but I would trust you with it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105

The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. Psalms 119:130

Blessed is he that readeth and they that hear the words of this prophecy and keep those things which are written therein. Revelation 1:3

Have a nice evening. Good night.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>That is the DNA activating perfectly ~ although we do know there are mutations and failures as such. Breeders worked out interbreeding issues and mutations quite some time ago, and there were certain references to certain breeds of people not breeding with each other, and although we probably don't know who is from which Tribe certain scientific tests will give couples advice on having children due to their DNA having problems with the next generation.
We are biologically 'programmed' to select mates for the best offspring. A very interesting topic. We also instinctively try not to mate those of 'antagonistic' or 'inferior' genes.

Fortunately I realized that sex does not imply reproduction (contraceptives) so my standards are not dictated by my 'sinful nature'. lol I am still a sucker for redheads though. LOL

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
RR is much smarter than many here think.
Don't underestimate him.
Understand the game before you play the game.
Agreed.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you care about the label on your clothes?
I took a car trip with friends last summer. We were in a convertible Mustang. I noticed that large trucks kept blowing their horn so I asked my friends, "What's up with that?"

The guy in the back, he's my best friend, leaned up and said in my ear, "River, remember about an hour ago when you said you were hot and took your shirt off? You're not wearing a bra."

My attention span is limited, Catcher.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Red Apples wrote:
Sorry to hear about the many indoctrinations you went through as a child. But keep in mind, you're no longer a child. And to view Chirstianity as an adult by what you percieved it to be as an indoctrinated child is the reason you're way of thinking about Christianity now is totally askew.....
So usually one needs to have less intelligence than ten year old to believe your religion or one must be brainwashed into a single cult during the formative years in order to accept mythology as fact for the rest of one's life.

Agreed.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hush, tard.
Well said!

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm here to push buttons. That's what I do. I have no other value.
I make jokes.
You make sense.
Your jokes make more sense than most posts here.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

lil whispers wrote:
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. Psalms 119:130
Blessed is he that readeth and they that hear the words of this prophecy and keep those things which are written therein. Revelation 1:3
Have a nice evening. Good night.
"When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent."

~ George Carlin

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A Death! What's that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating...
...and you finish off as an orgasm.- George Carlin
That IS what happens. "Time" is merely a perception, we can presently only experience it flowing one way.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I took a car trip with friends last summer. We were in a convertible Mustang. I noticed that large trucks kept blowing their horn so I asked my friends, "What's up with that?"
The guy in the back, he's my best friend, leaned up and said in my ear, "River, remember about an hour ago when you said you were hot and took your shirt off? You're not wearing a bra."
The answer is blowing in the wind.

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That was you???

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He drives a truck.
That's important.
He delivers fish, I teach people to go fishing.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. What is that?
Is it something to eat?
I fear what I do not understand.
It's a coconut.

LOL

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

blind man n the bleachers wrote:
Scar,
I too was born in 1962 and raised in the Appalachian mountains. I too went to churches similar to what you described. Though it was uh uh not hah. If uh, uh you know, uh uh what I mean, uh, uh can I get an amen? The word of God say's uh, uh, what ever they want to talk about that day, uh, uh and strt pacing back and forth uh, uh, working themselves and others, into a frenzy. getting louder and louder uh, uh, followed by a controlled quietly spoken comment. Then working through the process again filled with timed uh, uhs. And yes I have set in on the prayer sessions with everyone praying out loud. With the preacher praying the longest. Though I must say he had a hard time out praying me :) Even as a child I cared about everybody. And I prayed for everybody and everything. We gathered around the piano and sang old songs and had a great time doing so. I attended Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist, church of Christ, Church of God, Pentecostal, you name it I attended them most likely. I conluded differently than you though. I concluded that they were wrong. Not because I decided so, but because I studied intently the Bible and the Bible they taught from said they were wrong. I don't judge if they were saved or not. But I judged what thy taught from what they taught from. And I found that God was at those services but not so much in the preacher with his choreographed uh, uh's as it was in the farmer that came in and gave testimony about his personal experiences and his love of God and how God worked in his life. It was real and unscripted. And it was in the mothers that had spent the night in prayer alone with her sick child and how God had given her peace even though her child was near death. And how God had seen them through this difficult time. And when a family in the community had some difficult task and everybody would pitch in and help them with no pay or reward. And I saw God in when the people would take up a special collection and help a family that was in need that didn't attend church or even believe. I saw God in the caring for one another.
And yeah the Easter Bunny was bull. But Christ death on the cross for our sins and rising again and ascending to the Father, not to send us to hell if we don't this or that, but making a way from the hell that we were already bound for. That was real to me. And Santa Clause was a bunch of bull distraction from God giving his son for us who are dead in our sins (separated from the father) so that we might live (be reunited with the Father).
I guess each will see what we choose to see in any given situation. I understand your conclusions. But come to a different one from similar experiences. I found your post to be the best I have read from you. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thanks for that excellent post, B-Man.

It is nice to read what others have experienced.

The most vivid "Christmas memory" I have is of my sister giving me the book "Man and Beast" she got from England. I still have it on my bookshelf. I was 10 at the time.
I was blind for most of my life from 6 to 12 so books were 'magical' to me. Whenever I could see, I would read. at about eight years old I began reading the dictionary.

Sometimes I think my disabilities were nature/God's way of humiliating me. Yet, despite all adversity (satan) I accomplished much more in my life than most 'normal' people.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get mad because you are not a Christian :) I'll pray for you :) You know Jesus died for your sins too :) That's what the Bible says :)
Have a great day :)
There was/is a Christian doctrine that you can pray from non-believers and get them into heaven despite their disbelief.

I think that would make sense to Jesus. I really wish I had been alive back then. I would have either been crucified next to Him or driven the nails into his wrists. It all depends on if He was the Jesus of Mark or the Jesus of John.

At the moment, I believe Mark.

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true......
Just STFU.

You wouldn't know truth if it crawled up your leg and bit your ass.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing that. I didn't have that experience.
I never had any involvement in religion other than the secular rituals of the Winter Toy Festival and Easter candy Festival.
By the time I was 12 I was talking about mythology with Jews, Christians, Hindus, Atheists, Agnostics.
My parents family believed more in old world 'folk magic' than main stream 'Christianity' although the pagan belief were ALWAYS put in Christian terms.
Thanks, and I've gotta say, the response from most of the Christians here is pretty much the same. Contrary to what they think, it was an incredibly enriching and good experience.

Where they see chaos, it was clarity that was gained.

I can do a spot on impression of an old time preacher, too.

hahaaa

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 529,761 - 529,780 of596,624
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

635 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Sheilaa 109,796
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 89,620
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Kaitlin the Wolf Witch 680,943
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min River Tam 217,304
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min truth 512,363
Weird News 18 min xxx 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 18 min lovewithin 38,037
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 3 hr Me and u 288
•••
•••
•••