#553073 Jun 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. What is that?
Is it something to eat?
I fear what I do not understand.
I really have no idea.

I think it's a coconut.

I'm not usually questioned like this about my posts. Most people just give me a peanut and go about their business.

Stop PERSECUTING ME !!!

Oh wait, I'm not a Christian.

Dammit.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#553074 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I really have no idea.
I think it's a coconut.
I'm not usually questioned like this about my posts. Most people just give me a peanut and go about their business.
Stop PERSECUTING ME !!!
Dammit.
That's what I thought.

I looked at pictures of other coconuts.

It might be an abnormal coconut. It doesn't conform.

It came to the right place.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553075 Jun 30, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right.
For years I used to consider myself a Christian. During that time, I never prayed, I never went to church and I never believed in any god, yet I still considered myself to be a Christian.
I never believed but whenever I filled in a form that asked for my religion, I would invariably tick the box marked "Christianity".
Why did I do this?
Because of our culture: To me, Christianity seemed to go hand-in-hand with everything that being British was about while other religions were for other cultures.
Of course, I couldn't have been more wrong and in time, I came to realise that I was definitely not a Christian.
I'm now convinced there are millions of people out there who consider themselves to be Christians for the very same reasons I once did.
Yet among those millions there are many who have realised that they aren't Christians after all. Here in the UK we see this reflected in the latest surveys and censuses that stand as testament to the decline of religion in general.
The future is looking better all the time.
Good illustration.

The term "secular Christian" or "atheist Christian" appears to be just as meaningful as the term "atheist Jew" has been. If all you took from your religion was its culture or less, but not faith, and you are counted among the other Christians, then you're an atheist being counted as a theist.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#553076 Jun 30, 2013
Scar,
I too was born in 1962 and raised in the Appalachian mountains. I too went to churches similar to what you described. Though it was uh uh not hah. If uh, uh you know, uh uh what I mean, uh, uh can I get an amen? The word of God say's uh, uh, what ever they want to talk about that day, uh, uh and strt pacing back and forth uh, uh, working themselves and others, into a frenzy. getting louder and louder uh, uh, followed by a controlled quietly spoken comment. Then working through the process again filled with timed uh, uhs. And yes I have set in on the prayer sessions with everyone praying out loud. With the preacher praying the longest. Though I must say he had a hard time out praying me :) Even as a child I cared about everybody. And I prayed for everybody and everything. We gathered around the piano and sang old songs and had a great time doing so. I attended Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist, church of Christ, Church of God, Pentecostal, you name it I attended them most likely. I conluded differently than you though. I concluded that they were wrong. Not because I decided so, but because I studied intently the Bible and the Bible they taught from said they were wrong. I don't judge if they were saved or not. But I judged what thy taught from what they taught from. And I found that God was at those services but not so much in the preacher with his choreographed uh, uh's as it was in the farmer that came in and gave testimony about his personal experiences and his love of God and how God worked in his life. It was real and unscripted. And it was in the mothers that had spent the night in prayer alone with her sick child and how God had given her peace even though her child was near death. And how God had seen them through this difficult time. And when a family in the community had some difficult task and everybody would pitch in and help them with no pay or reward. And I saw God in when the people would take up a special collection and help a family that was in need that didn't attend church or even believe. I saw God in the caring for one another.
And yeah the Easter Bunny was bull. But Christ death on the cross for our sins and rising again and ascending to the Father, not to send us to hell if we don't this or that, but making a way from the hell that we were already bound for. That was real to me. And Santa Clause was a bunch of bull distraction from God giving his son for us who are dead in our sins (separated from the father) so that we might live (be reunited with the Father).
I guess each will see what we choose to see in any given situation. I understand your conclusions. But come to a different one from similar experiences. I found your post to be the best I have read from you. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Location hidden

#553077 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I really have no idea.
I think it's a coconut.
Stop PERSECUTING ME !!!
Dammit.
Don't get mad because you are not a Christian :) I'll pray for you :) You know Jesus died for your sins too :) That's what the Bible says :)
Have a great day :)

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#553078 Jun 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I thought.
I looked at pictures of other coconuts.
It might be an abnormal coconut. It doesn't conform.
It came to the right place.
Sometimes my jokes fall short.

I'm glad you're there to catch them.

Did you hear about the priest that caught the altar boy masturbating in the confessional?

Neither did I.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#553079 Jun 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 13:8 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Ephesians 4:2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another,agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.
Yes..... Truly evil stuff....
Cherry picking.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#553080 Jun 30, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get mad because you are not a Christian :) I'll pray for you :) You know Jesus died for your sins too :) That's what the Bible says :)
Have a great day :)
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll pray for you :)
I'll think for you :)

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#553081 Jun 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Sometimes my jokes fall short.
I'm glad you're there to catch them.
Did you hear about the priest that caught the altar boy masturbating in the confessional?
Neither did I.
Sometimes I misunderstand.

http://mylittleme.com/images/2012/01/welovehu...

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#553082 Jun 30, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Pawn to King's fourth
This could be many openings, including the Sicilian.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#553083 Jun 30, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
You really think he does??
Not too sure about that.
Actually I don't think he knows much, that one. Shrink is stark raving mad and needs a shrink.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#553084 Jun 30, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to think I experienced some sort of confusion or underwent a bad experience.
I didn't and it wasn't. As a matter of fact, I garnered an extreme amount of clarity and insight from my upbringing. Those "many indoctrinations" as you put it, were very illuminating.
Eye opening, you might say.
Here's the thing, your response is pretty much the standard Christian response when I post that(that wasn't the first time, nor the last). That response appears to be that if I'd been raised in only one singular Christian denomination or belief, or a particular "way", then I'd be "fine".
Nothing could be further from the truth.
This is exactly how and where I'm supposed to be.
Climb into the Chaos with a friend or two, And follow the Way it carries you, Adrift like a Lunatic Lifeboat Crew, Over the Waves in whatever you do. The Book of Advice, Chapter 1
The Hell! Law says that Hell! is reserved exclusively for them that believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell! is reserved for them that believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't. HBT; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1
A jug of wine, A leg of lamb And thou! Beside me, Whistling in the darkness. Be Ye Not Lost Among Precepts of Order. The Book of Uteronomy 1:5
Now that's a hoot.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#553085 Jun 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In the U.S., I often hesitate to say I'm an atheist, for fear of making others uncomfortable.
Not so in China, England, Western Europe. It's no different than saying I like seafood. People could care less about religion.
RR, I recommend some travel abroad--you'll be VERY surprised.
Yes, it's just not the same big deal over here.

Watford, UK

#553086 Jun 30, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
Khatru, it's the moral of the story that we should concentrate on, that is the most important thing. I told u we follow the esoteric meaning.
Hopefully watching that documentary will open your mind and increase your understanding of eastern philosophy. Then I can discuss things more clearly with you. At the moment it is like we speak two different languages.
Concentrating on the morals isn't always the best way.

Just look at those millions of Christians who find themselves defending acts of genocide and child killing because of their skewed sense of what's good.

I suppose the plus point for your system is that you accept that it's based on myths. Millions of adherents of the Abrahamic faiths would never admit to that - so kudos to you.

The downside is that you probably think that your interpretation is the correct one and those who have interpreted it differently have got it all wrong.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#553087 Jun 30, 2013
***Good

Morning***

“Life is
a dream for the wise,
a game for the fool,
a comedy for the rich,
a tragedy for the poor.”

~ Sholom Aleichem

Thought for the Day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#553088 Jun 30, 2013
Today's Prayer

Dear God, I know You want me to have a complete picture of the situations I face each day and to know what actions I must take to fulfill Your will for my life. Please bring intercessors and leaders into my life to hold me up in prayer and help me along the way. Likewise, help me be an intercessory prayer warrior, praying and interceding on the behalf of others around me who need prayer for special needs and daily struggles. Bless me, Lord, and enlarge my territory. Be with me and keep me from evil, that I may be a blessing to You and to those around me. In the name of my Lord and Savior I pray, Amen.

Prime time with God

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#553089 Jun 30, 2013
Encouraging Words...

The Lord is my light and my salvation so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Psalm 27:1

K-Love

Watford, UK

#553090 Jun 30, 2013
Clementia wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have waited, it's going to rain next week.:-)
Even Sikhs had to go into Afghanistan, coz the Muslims were attacking India from that direction, but we never went further than that.
No, it's not the same. You say these things because you have been brainwashed by the elite in the west. The west has always used the Caste system as a way of bashing Indian philosophy. Most Indians are also being brainwashed against it, so they go and join the western people and start fighting against something they don't understand. People in the west have not be taught the truth about our philosophies.
Yes, my dear, I would and do!
"The braham gyani is the highest of them all, but in his/her mind is the most humble".- sikh scripture
The brahmins are meant to be the nicest people on the planet, how could they not love all life?
Our sikh scripture is composed of the writings of brahmins, khastris and shudras, but our scripture states that they are all actually true brahmins and the rightful kings of this world. When I bow my head to my scripture and accept sikh philosophy, I bow down to those brahm gyanis who were born in many different castes. They are all my guru's. Nanak talks about these 'dalits' in our scripture, all of them were 'low castes' and Nanak was 'high caste'. Look how he treats them, he calls them saints;
"Kabir is merciful, the slave of the Lords slaves; the humble barber Sain is supreme. Highest of the high is Namdev, who looked upon all alike; Ravidas embodiment, Manifestation of God. My soul, body and wealth belong to the Saints;&#65279; my mind longs for the dust of the Saints. And by the radiant Grace of the Saints, all my doubts have been erased. Said Nanak, I have met the Lord. Pg1207 sikh scripture.
You r a brahmin or shudra based on your actions and actions alone. When the caste system was truly followed, truth has always flourished and righteousness has reigned over the hearts of men, turning them into gods!
Our philosophy states that everyone has the potential to become the Brahm gyani and that is what everyone should aim to be, only when there is peace in the hearts of men can there be peace in the world.
P.S. what caste is a varna?:-)
Varna...

"Social order or social class according to varna forms the framework of moral duties according to personal characteristics of individuals (not necessarily birth)."

http://philosophy.lander.edu/oriental/caste.h...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utkala_Brahmin

It's good that you would treat people with fairness and equality, irrespective of the caste they belong to. However, there must be many people who don't and that's why we are legislating to make caste discrimination unlawful.

The caste system still appears to be just another form of elitism that is found all over the world.

Watford, UK

#553091 Jun 30, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> I was born in 1962 Appalachia.
I was "born"... Primitive Baptist, men folk in the right pews, women folk in the left pews, family folk with kids in the middle.
Sermonsdeliveredinanonstoplitt any - okenonlybyanothergaspofairbefo re continuing,hah,If youa ,hah, get whaat ,hah, I meeean,hah,all sspOken in the prESEnce of tha ALLLLMIIIGHTY LOOOORRRDJESUS CHRIIIST! a hah whoDIIIED on that crRAWSSS, hah.*pulpit slap!*.Deacons - "AMEN!" ... as Preacher Lee, trembling, mopped his brow, sippin springwater.Each service dedicated a portion to sweaty, bent knee confession of the unworthy lives they lead. Some stood, stomping the pews, arms held high as they prayed...LOUD?
My Granny would reach over and close my eyes, whispering... "don't stare at em!" But I saw her stare too, sometimes...
I enjoyed the hymns sung there. The men and women singing from opposite sides with alternating choruses and harmonies. Beautiful. Electric. Tribal.
Not once did my innocence perceive this god thing. I was 4,5? I did notice the Easter Bunny got my baskets at Eckerds Drugstore.
I couldn't figure out how the clerk and the busy guy behind the tall counter remained so calm with this knowledge... mmmCherry Cokes.My parents migrated to Southern Baptist, which, friend, has a much more subdued, friendly god. He'll still burn your worthless, full of sin, god giveth and(trust in this) god taketh away, BEhind.
Pass the plate...friend.Then just Baptist. You decide, but you must GO UNDER water. Then you're safe. You occasionally walk up the center aisle and re-up. A collection plate was at the pulpit for the re-up, passed around every service.The Easter Bunny has been proven fake. I was 7?
Santa ruled. It was obvious. I discovered he ordered his toys from many places. Mainly Sears...or Western Auto? Maybe Santa supplied, them? The North Pole was the official version.
I wasn't sure.
My parents then tried Methodist. Later, the Episcopalian and Lutheran faiths. Please!, follow the arrows in an orderly fashion, don't worry!, you WILL reach your destination. Where's your Jesus ticket? Gooood. They were more or less the same.
Different robes and similar terms etc...Catholibaptist. Falwell would roll if he saw catholibaptist.
Around 12? "!?Santa?!", needed my help assembling my siblings toys. There were 4 boys now. Dad wasn't mechanically inclined. I was. All toys worked that year. Flawlessly. My next 2 brothers even commented. I couldn't say a word.
I went to an Adventist school, too.
In my religion courses at the beginning of each textbook a statement said there were no "right" or "wrong" answers. That sounded fair. So I asked questions, and gave my thoughts. Many times I was informed my misinterpretation was due to my misinterpretation? This became problematic in high school, when a more complex god was revealed, and my emerging mind was too. I was expelled from the boarding school for "sin"(irony is the word). A good education otherwise(I was behind in science, temporarily).
The religion teachers resourced and contrasted my experience in other faiths as a proof of SDA validity, as I was the only non "native" Adventist.
Huh...After all of the different (gods/faiths), each supported by the bible in essence, I started to really look into god. Who is god? Where is god? What does god really want?. Why this god?. I looked at other gods. Religions. I really put time into it.
I pondered this throughout my time in the Army. The military has well stocked libraries. After I'd finished my service, at around 24-25, as an adult.I understood I was atheist.
Nicely put and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

One question though:

Is wine from your birthplace subject to Appalachian Contrôlée?

;-)

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#553092 Jun 30, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
You post prayers and words of inspiration, and then post this?
I think till yourself and Skombolis have proof of who judges w icons..
Maybe it would be best to not make these"observations" of yours.
Yes, you may be wrong.. So why throw names out there.?
I said "Sorry" to Catcher.....

Still going to post observations...Just like you

Man is it raining here....We are going to need an ark soon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Phooey 646,350
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min Toby 105,582
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min It aint necessari... 47,941
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 15 min andet1987 2,013
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min The Hangman 971,571
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 31 min X Pendable 182,618
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 44,708
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Neville Thompson 281,222
More from around the web