“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552821 Jun 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:

Because God told them it was moral.
You have read the bible, right ?
Yes, I have. And studied it. And learned from it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552822 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You never answered my question, your silence is answer enough.
Here, I'll ask you again to give you another chance:
Do you find that killing people for being disrespectful to their parents is moral?
I answered that already, Lacez. I said that I don't find it moral at all.

But morality isn't the debate here, even though you're desperately trying to change it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552823 Jun 29, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You may need to re-read my post to understand what I *actually* wrote.
Don't worry.
Yours is a common failing among fundies.
"When you got something other than simple suspension of disbelieve and ignorance of your own scriptures, give me a shout."

I gotcha, atheist. I responded in kind.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552824 Jun 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a time machine ?
do you keep in the secret vaults of the Vatican or in your basement ?
A time machine isn't required to do historical research, my man.

Get a grip.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552825 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so you're saying that even your god cannot define morality.
For it can't be moral one day and immoral the next.
Along with that, you are saying that had you been raised in that time, you would have your sons and/or daughters killed if they disrespected you?
Sorry, but that's not right, nor moral in any way.
I'm sure there are many here that would agree that no matter the time, it would be wrong to kill people just for being disrespectful.
You do realize that that also disobeys one of the ten commandments too, right?
There are no terms to that commandment, and so people are blatantly going against that "law."
That would be murder.
You're trying to define what is moral for all people of all time. You don't get to do that. You need to learn and understand that different people have their own feelings about what is - and is not - moral.

You don't understand.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552826 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you agree with it.
You believe it was right to execute them at that time because it was legal.
Where did I say I agree with it?!

Where? When?

All I've ever been saying about this is that it was legal, therefore not murder.

You keep trying to change the goalposts to make this a morality issue when it's not.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552827 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Research?
The bible says to kill indiscriminate of any age.
Age of consent at the time does not matter in this discussion, because the bible does not refer to that age of consent, and therefore rules to kill children as well.
Show me in the bible where it makes a point of saying to kill the adults and not the children regarding the passage saying to kill those who disrespect their parents.
You might have a point then.
As a refresher for you:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."

That sounds harsh to you and me, I know. But that was the law of the day, FOR THOSE PEOPLE, not for all.

It was the Capital punishment of the time and served the purpose of keeping the nation of Israel clean and free of criminal activities.

And by child it doesn't mean a literal child since the behavior mentioned is one of an adult child.

It DOES seem harsh especially considering that nowadays a simple spanking could mean the removal of a child from a home.

That was the government of the day and its Capital Punishment law.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552828 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, if someone else kills your children, but you hand them over, it isn't murder!
Dude....

Debating with you is pointless. All you know is your way and refuse to see it any other way.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552829 Jun 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No he isn't. He's comparing your interpretation of ancient Hebrew laws to his own by showing us what the words actually say.
You wrote that "children could NOT be executed" and that it was wrong to assume that a son "means a minor." He disagreed and posted scripture that contradicted your position. How is that "comparing different laws from different cultures in different regions at different times"?
Is it so difficult to agree that your god would execute children?
We were discussing one set of verses from Deuteronomy and he brought up verses from three other books to "compare" them.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552830 Jun 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What information is available only on a Christian apologetics web site?
Christian apologists aren't bound to the same ethics of scholarship that secularists are. They don't even define truth the way we do.
So why would I accept anything at all found only on a Christian website?
I don't get information about Christian websites for the same reason that I didn't learn medicine from homeopathic web sites. Philosophy, methods, results, and reputation all matter.
HA HA HA !!!!

I said "atheist websites", dude. Not secular websites.

You think that a site like evilbible.com is based on fact and research?! If so, you're clueless.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552831 Jun 29, 2013
karl44 wrote:

have you had sex with a male?
I've asked you repeatedly to stop hitting on me.
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#552832 Jun 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an excerpt from a study conducted by the Univ. of Toronto...
"A century ago, 80 per cent of the world's Christians lived in Europe and North America; today, nearly 70 per cent live in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, making Christianity a predominantly non-Western religion.
A critical mass of scholars who are looking into the implications of this shift has made the University of Toronto a leading centre for the study of global Christianity.
Christianity today has more than 2.2 billion adherents worldwide. The majority are overwhelmingly poor, displaced from rural villages into overcrowded cities in search of work, and adhere strictly to the word of Scripture, which can command their loyalty far more than state or society."
...the face of Christianity is changing...
Thank-you Annie J. Now I have a few questions for you.

1) You stated that this is an excerpt. Can you provide a link to the entire article for review?

2) What is the date of this publication, and how close to the completion of the study was it published?

3) Do we know the motivation (bias) of the authors?

4) Does the University of Toronto lean towards secularism and/or in opposition to theism in general and Christian theism specifically?

5) Does the study take into account those who keep their answers private and answer "none" when asked about their religious affiliation?(This is often confused with atheism because many Christians profess to be "non-denominational" or participate in "home churches". When they answer "none" on a survey or poll it may just be that they are Christian but do not claim any one denomination.)

Did you read the full article, and if so, what is your response to my questions?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#552833 Jun 29, 2013
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning, Catcher.
Any news on our favourite hillbilly, Buck?
I miss hearin' bout them fellers Fountain and Peebob.
It's very strange. Every month or so, Buck appears, posts once or twice, then poofs away.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#552834 Jun 29, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the people that stand against it are not going to do so saying its because of issues of faith but it is imo. True, most of the leaders in the black community stand quite strongly against this. At least one, Alveda King, has stood with the people that went to Washington that day and has paid quite a price for it. Like on my first date at a Messianic service where the son had been disowned by the rest of his family some things you just don't do if you want peace. Thankful this woman stands on the very words of Mlk so many years ago and nothing, no person, not even members of her own family keep her from standing for what is right. We will never agree on this because I see indications of it almost each day. Don't know if it happens in my lifetime but I bet the day comes when the government here, like other parts of the world will tell us what kind of religion is ok, what kind you will see no tolerance for.
Chris...I read several more articles on this rally and I still can not find how the government targeted Christians. Can you explain to me how and why you think they did?

“Merry Yuletide”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#552835 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA !!!!
You think that a site like evilbible.com is based on fact and research?! If so, you're clueless.
You can read the same stories just by grabbing a Bible from the Gideons. The only difference is the website author's opinion.
Favorite Adversary

Brooklyn, NY

#552836 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA !!!!
His assertion that apologists don't perform their research with the same high degree of ethics found in secular settings is patently false. For if eternity and our continued existence after bodily death is on the line, wouldn't it be beneficial to seek the truth in a methodical and ethical manner?

The tendency among the vocal atheist community is to assert that our faith is blind, and then dismiss our apologetic resources as merely cleverly conceived answers to silence our critics. This would be counter-productive in every sense. Of course to maintain their atheism they must make the claim that our faith is blind as if this is a "one-size-fits-all" defense shield for their psychological well being. In other words, it's the "comfortable truth" they want to protect and not the absolute truth.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#552837 Jun 29, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank-you Annie J. Now I have a few questions for you.
1) You stated that this is an excerpt. Can you provide a link to the entire article for review?
2) What is the date of this publication, and how close to the completion of the study was it published?
3) Do we know the motivation (bias) of the authors?
4) Does the University of Toronto lean towards secularism and/or in opposition to theism in general and Christian theism specifically?
5) Does the study take into account those who keep their answers private and answer "none" when asked about their religious affiliation?(This is often confused with atheism because many Christians profess to be "non-denominational" or participate in "home churches". When they answer "none" on a survey or poll it may just be that they are Christian but do not claim any one denomination.)
Did you read the full article, and if so, what is your response to my questions?
Here ya go...

http://news.utoronto.ca/examining-changing-fa...

The article did not address all of your questions FA but if you google "the changing face of Christianity" there are several articles that might answer them for you.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#552838 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"When you got something other than simple suspension of disbelieve and ignorance of your own scriptures, give me a shout."
I gotcha, atheist. I responded in kind.
Let's recap:

Chess wrote a brilliant -- and original -- piece on why the Gospel of Mark should be view as a polemic against the Jerusalem church after the fall of Jerusalem:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

You responded with nonsense:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost certainly....
Probably...
Likely...
Maybe...
Cudda...
Wudda...
Shudda...
Lol, that's probably an interesting tale, maybe.
Pawn takes queens knight.

And dishonesty:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
K.
And when you get something other than "There's probably no god", lemme know.

You lack knowledge of your own religion, and since you do, you can't intelligently discuss it.

And that is from whence the nonsense and dishonesty wells.

And speaking of that dishonesty and nonsense, I am not an atheist, fool.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#552839 Jun 29, 2013
view - viewed

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552840 Jun 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Here ya go...
http://news.utoronto.ca/examining-changing-fa...
The article did not address all of your questions FA but if you google "the changing face of Christianity" there are several articles that might answer them for you.
Your link says that "the majority are overwhelmingly poor, displaced from rural villages into overcrowded cities in search of work, and adhere strictly to the word of Scripture, which can command their loyalty far more than state or society."

Do you find this accurate? I don't.

Christianity remains the dominant religion in the Western World, where 70% are Christians.

In Europe 76.2% of the population considering themselves Christians.

86.0% of the the entire Western Hemisphere is Christian.

Are we to assume that the majority of them are poor & displaced?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 2 min Johnny 4,838
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Lumajuice 777,420
Gay snapchat names 55 min Sxybest11 163
What changes in Local search ranking on Google ... 1 hr vitaltrafficsolution 1
2002 Ford Explorer Sport Keypad Code Location (Apr '11) 1 hr chas 8
sexting (guys only) (Jul '12) 1 hr eragonlove321 213
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 265,377
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr hojo 560,141
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 hr Freebird USA 175,775
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 15 hr Lumajuice 441,807