“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#552891 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As a refresher for you:
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."
That sounds harsh to you and me, I know. But that was the law of the day, FOR THOSE PEOPLE, not for all.
It was the Capital punishment of the time and served the purpose of keeping the nation of Israel clean and free of criminal activities.
And by child it doesn't mean a literal child since the behavior mentioned is one of an adult child.
It DOES seem harsh especially considering that nowadays a simple spanking could mean the removal of a child from a home.
That was the government of the day and its Capital Punishment law.
See my above comment.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552892 Jun 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Here ya go...
http://www.forbes.com/global/2001/0528/046.ht...
If I have labeled Africa incorrectly then I stand to be corrected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World
Africa is a continent, not a country.

Montreal

#552893 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude....
Debating with you is pointless. All you know is your way and refuse to see it any other way.
You're the one that said handing your kids over to get killed isn't killing them, not me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552894 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've read the entire bible 3 and half times(the 4th time I just couldn't finish it again).
I went to a private religious school. We had classes concerning the bible every day. It was a part of our grade.
So, yeah, I've read it and understand it.
It just so happens my understanding of it doesn't coincide with your understanding, or the understanding of the majority of Christianity, Judaism, etc...
That's fine.
Here's the hoot and kicker.
My understanding of the tome is just as valid as yours and any other persons understanding.
I never said it wasn't.

What's "hoot and kicker"?

Montreal

#552895 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We were discussing one set of verses from Deuteronomy and he brought up verses from three other books to "compare" them.
We weren't discussing any parts of your bible in particular.
We were discussing your bible, as a whole, ruling that people should kill their children for being disrespectful.
Neb Senu

Upper Darby, PA

#552896 Jun 29, 2013
dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
rather you are mental clown sick patient of your own dr Shrink
I owe psychopaths like you scums without of God own descency and a... made as female part after feww f..times your a...look like broom from local dumpster
ty durnaja holowa bez Boha,bez dupy, bez huja durak jebi twajy kaczanka
Where did I state that I'm without a god?

Do you that you and your cult are the only ones who hold a patent to the term god?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552897 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I always laugh at the above statement you make, since it's meaningless as an example of Christianity growing faster than the world population.
You do understand that the figure for the world population growth is based upon a figure of roughly 7.094 billion people as of 2012(some estimates state that occurred in 2011). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population
So that 1.2% growth is based upon that 7 billion person figure, annually.
Christianity has around 2.1 billion people. https://www.cia.gov/search...
So that 1.3% growth is based upon 2.1 billion people, annually.
The world population growth also reflects the % of people who die each year, in total estimate, and the population still increases 1.2% each year...
The Christian figure doesn't include that info. The Christian figure also doesn't reflect the % of adherents who abandon the religion each year.
Example; My old religion/church, still has me listed as a member.
(The increase in Christian adherents will never overshadow the world population growth of humans, ever)
Thanks for the laugh.
You're welcome.

Now tell me a joke.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552898 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You never answered my question, your silence is answer enough.
Here, I'll ask you again to give you another chance:
Do you find that killing people for being disrespectful to their parents is moral?
<quoted text>
If you don't find it moral, then what is it?
OH, it's IMMORAL.
Which means it's unlawful.
Which means it's murder.
Congrats, you've succeeded in destroying your own argument.
Immoral does NOT mean unlawful.

Where are you getting this shit from?

Immoral simply means not conforming to accepted standards of morality.

Just because a thing is immoral doesn't mean it's illegal.

Immoral is a very subjective term.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552899 Jun 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
But still slower than the rate at which the Americans pile the pounds onto their arses and waistlines.
D'oH!

I concede, good sire.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#552900 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
D'oH!
I concede, good sire.
Lol

Actually, sometimes I think we Brits aren't that far behind you!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#552901 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, that's why only 76% of them are Christian....
They may check that box, but that's it.

They don't believe and they can't be bothered.

With Christians of that sort, I'm very happy.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#552902 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that exactly what the bible and the adherents of the bible attempt to do?
In your own words:
"trying to define what is moral for all people of all time"
No?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Those verses in the book of Deuteronomy are not meant for us to follow, but to understand what happened to the Jews back then, how they lived their lives and how they established and followed rule & law.
It blows me away when I see some ignorant atheist use verses like that and say "Your god says to kill children. He's evil!"
In turn, it blows me away to see ignorant theists use Leviticus as a means of condoning their hatred of gays.
It's ignorance, plain and simple.
It goes deeper that that.

The bible, overall, is drawn upon by Christianity, and, in the final analysis, the Jesus!, is simply an extension of the Yahweh!

Yahweh/Jesus. Same thing.(it's your mythic belief). Triad, 3 n' 1, Father, Son, Holy Ghost. etc... All the same, yes? Unless you aren't a Christian believer in the Triune, and that Christian does exist.

So for the Jews, it is, "this is my covenant with you". Pretty simple. Follow the Yahweh! rules and good things will happen.

For the Gentiles, it is, "this is my promise to you". Pretty simple. Follow the Jesus! rules and good things will happen.

However, if you don't follow the rules?

DIE.

Same messages, different formats(throw Islam and others in there too).

So, and depending on the version of Christianity you adhere to(the Jesus! was there at creation , the Jesus! wasn't, etc...), it's all the same deity. One for the Jew and three(somewhat) for you...ooops ... that Holy Ghost? eh...well, "it's the essence of tha Loooord".

You know it's difficult at times to discuss this subject with all of the flavors and variations of the Abrahamic religions(Christianity has over 30,000 sects, Judaism a good few, Islam - the same).

So, it turns out that as an atheist, oft times when discussing the Christian religion, say for instance, if baptism is brought up, and full immersion is the method of the particular adherent, or sprinkling suffices, or some see it as purely symbolic, while others see it as an absolute requirement - we get lambasted for not being intimately acquainted with your specific belief. It's not that atheists aren't aware of the variations, but we're sorta' having to gauge what type each person is, on the fly. How many variations of Christian are on this thread alone?

My point being, is that atheists have to approach the discussion in the broadest sense possible.

Since, there are Christians that utilize the entire bible as legitimate and "proper for instruction" etc... You don't see Leviticus as valid, only applicable to a certain time/culture, "way back when".

Others do, and see it as perfectly valid. Deuteronomy, too, and every other book of the bible.

And therein lies the problem, is that the atheist never knows what type of Christian is being encountered, until those details come out.

Which is a a laborious process.

But, fascinating.

That process of faith supported religious belief is fascinating.

Hope that helps and clarifies what the atheist encounters on these threads just a little.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#552903 Jun 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It's certainly dying in Europe and the signs are that it'll also be dying in the USA.
Christianity has a habit of getting into bed with the people who have the power. Which may go some way to explaining its rise in China.
That will be Christianity's undoing, as the vast majority of Chinese view Christianity as a tool of the west. The Chinese ancestor religion is deeply established and the Chinese love their culture and history in ways that we in the west struggle to grasp. They certainly won't be abandoning all of that in favour of Christianity.
The future belongs to the Chinese and the world they will shape will be decidedly different from the one that's been shaped by western influences and that includes Christianity.
In the U.S., I often hesitate to say I'm an atheist, for fear of making others uncomfortable.

Not so in China, England, Western Europe. It's no different than saying I like seafood. People could care less about religion.

RR, I recommend some travel abroad--you'll be VERY surprised.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#552904 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it wasn't.
What's "hoot and kicker"?
I thought you were a redneck.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552905 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one that said handing your kids over to get killed isn't killing them, not me.
See? This is what I mean. You're a friggin brick.

I never said killed, I said executed. There is a difference in the two words.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#552906 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome.
Now tell me a joke.
Two nuns are driving at night in a swamp. A vampire flys out of a shadowy stand of moss-covered trees and lands menacingly on the hood of their car. The nun who's driving says to the other nun, "Quick! Sister! Show him your cross!"

The second nun leans out of the window, grabs the vampire and screams, "GET THE FNCK OFF THE G0DDAMN CAR!!!"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552907 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
We weren't discussing any parts of your bible in particular.
We were discussing your bible, as a whole, ruling that people should kill their children for being disrespectful.
You're a liar. You brought up Deuteronomy to try and use it as a means to vilify the Bible.

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#552908 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to a private religious school.
Pretty broad statement.

Religious school?

What "religion"?

Christian (which denomination), Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Atheism, Taoism, Toa Choa, Secularism, Humnism, etc...?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552909 Jun 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Actually, sometimes I think we Brits aren't that far behind you!
Y'alls a bunch of fat asses, too?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552910 Jun 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They may check that box, but that's it.
They don't believe and they can't be bothered.
With Christians of that sort, I'm very happy.
Why would a non- Christian check the Christian box?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Fellers in Clinton TN 1 min Newport30 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min RiversideRedneck 64,631
Mencari teman seks wanita yang gersang (Sep '15) 14 min Hyunkle 21
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 14 min MUQ2 45,288
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 21 min MUQ2 504
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,601
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Steve III 654,424
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Dr Banonator 106,610
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr MUQ2 281,954
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr Gabriel 973,952
More from around the web