Why Should Jesus Love Me?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#552899 Jun 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
But still slower than the rate at which the Americans pile the pounds onto their arses and waistlines.
D'oH!

I concede, good sire.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#552900 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
D'oH!
I concede, good sire.
Lol

Actually, sometimes I think we Brits aren't that far behind you!

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#552901 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, that's why only 76% of them are Christian....
They may check that box, but that's it.

They don't believe and they can't be bothered.

With Christians of that sort, I'm very happy.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#552902 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that exactly what the bible and the adherents of the bible attempt to do?
In your own words:
"trying to define what is moral for all people of all time"
No?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Those verses in the book of Deuteronomy are not meant for us to follow, but to understand what happened to the Jews back then, how they lived their lives and how they established and followed rule & law.
It blows me away when I see some ignorant atheist use verses like that and say "Your god says to kill children. He's evil!"
In turn, it blows me away to see ignorant theists use Leviticus as a means of condoning their hatred of gays.
It's ignorance, plain and simple.
It goes deeper that that.

The bible, overall, is drawn upon by Christianity, and, in the final analysis, the Jesus!, is simply an extension of the Yahweh!

Yahweh/Jesus. Same thing.(it's your mythic belief). Triad, 3 n' 1, Father, Son, Holy Ghost. etc... All the same, yes? Unless you aren't a Christian believer in the Triune, and that Christian does exist.

So for the Jews, it is, "this is my covenant with you". Pretty simple. Follow the Yahweh! rules and good things will happen.

For the Gentiles, it is, "this is my promise to you". Pretty simple. Follow the Jesus! rules and good things will happen.

However, if you don't follow the rules?

DIE.

Same messages, different formats(throw Islam and others in there too).

So, and depending on the version of Christianity you adhere to(the Jesus! was there at creation , the Jesus! wasn't, etc...), it's all the same deity. One for the Jew and three(somewhat) for you...ooops ... that Holy Ghost? eh...well, "it's the essence of tha Loooord".

You know it's difficult at times to discuss this subject with all of the flavors and variations of the Abrahamic religions(Christianity has over 30,000 sects, Judaism a good few, Islam - the same).

So, it turns out that as an atheist, oft times when discussing the Christian religion, say for instance, if baptism is brought up, and full immersion is the method of the particular adherent, or sprinkling suffices, or some see it as purely symbolic, while others see it as an absolute requirement - we get lambasted for not being intimately acquainted with your specific belief. It's not that atheists aren't aware of the variations, but we're sorta' having to gauge what type each person is, on the fly. How many variations of Christian are on this thread alone?

My point being, is that atheists have to approach the discussion in the broadest sense possible.

Since, there are Christians that utilize the entire bible as legitimate and "proper for instruction" etc... You don't see Leviticus as valid, only applicable to a certain time/culture, "way back when".

Others do, and see it as perfectly valid. Deuteronomy, too, and every other book of the bible.

And therein lies the problem, is that the atheist never knows what type of Christian is being encountered, until those details come out.

Which is a a laborious process.

But, fascinating.

That process of faith supported religious belief is fascinating.

Hope that helps and clarifies what the atheist encounters on these threads just a little.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#552903 Jun 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It's certainly dying in Europe and the signs are that it'll also be dying in the USA.
Christianity has a habit of getting into bed with the people who have the power. Which may go some way to explaining its rise in China.
That will be Christianity's undoing, as the vast majority of Chinese view Christianity as a tool of the west. The Chinese ancestor religion is deeply established and the Chinese love their culture and history in ways that we in the west struggle to grasp. They certainly won't be abandoning all of that in favour of Christianity.
The future belongs to the Chinese and the world they will shape will be decidedly different from the one that's been shaped by western influences and that includes Christianity.
In the U.S., I often hesitate to say I'm an atheist, for fear of making others uncomfortable.

Not so in China, England, Western Europe. It's no different than saying I like seafood. People could care less about religion.

RR, I recommend some travel abroad--you'll be VERY surprised.

Location hidden

#552904 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it wasn't.
What's "hoot and kicker"?
I thought you were a redneck.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552905 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one that said handing your kids over to get killed isn't killing them, not me.
See? This is what I mean. You're a friggin brick.

I never said killed, I said executed. There is a difference in the two words.

Location hidden

#552906 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome.
Now tell me a joke.
Two nuns are driving at night in a swamp. A vampire flys out of a shadowy stand of moss-covered trees and lands menacingly on the hood of their car. The nun who's driving says to the other nun, "Quick! Sister! Show him your cross!"

The second nun leans out of the window, grabs the vampire and screams, "GET THE FNCK OFF THE G0DDAMN CAR!!!"

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552907 Jun 29, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
We weren't discussing any parts of your bible in particular.
We were discussing your bible, as a whole, ruling that people should kill their children for being disrespectful.
You're a liar. You brought up Deuteronomy to try and use it as a means to vilify the Bible.

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#552908 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to a private religious school.
Pretty broad statement.

Religious school?

What "religion"?

Christian (which denomination), Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Atheism, Taoism, Toa Choa, Secularism, Humnism, etc...?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552909 Jun 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Actually, sometimes I think we Brits aren't that far behind you!
Y'alls a bunch of fat asses, too?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552910 Jun 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They may check that box, but that's it.
They don't believe and they can't be bothered.
With Christians of that sort, I'm very happy.
Why would a non- Christian check the Christian box?

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#552911 Jun 29, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
I could but my guess is it will be dismissed. I will post two links. One question aside from if Christians or anyone else was targeted by the government, do you think it is ok? For any one person or group of U.S. citizens to be targeted by any part of the government?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-poli...
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/12/di...
You know Chris...your first statement..."I could but my guess is it will be dismissed."...I think was rude on your part. I could have just called you some "poor pitiful Christian trying to earn persecution points and let it go at that. Instead I read several articles on the rally that you mentioned...asked questions...and have not tried to insult you.

Oh well...

I read both links you gave. Neither article mentioned Christian. The second one did speak of conservative groups and Israel. I assume that this is why you feel as if they are targeting Christians.

As far as your question as to if I would approve of government targeting specific groups...would my answer make any difference in your mind.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552912 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that exactly what the bible and the adherents of the bible attempt to do?
In your own words:
"trying to define what is moral for all people of all time"
No?
<quoted text>
It goes deeper that that.
The bible, overall, is drawn upon by Christianity, and, in the final analysis, the Jesus!, is simply an extension of the Yahweh!
Yahweh/Jesus. Same thing.(it's your mythic belief). Triad, 3 n' 1, Father, Son, Holy Ghost. etc... All the same, yes? Unless you aren't a Christian believer in the Triune, and that Christian does exist.
So for the Jews, it is, "this is my covenant with you". Pretty simple. Follow the Yahweh! rules and good things will happen.
For the Gentiles, it is, "this is my promise to you". Pretty simple. Follow the Jesus! rules and good things will happen.
However, if you don't follow the rules?
DIE.
Same messages, different formats(throw Islam and others in there too).
So, and depending on the version of Christianity you adhere to(the Jesus! was there at creation , the Jesus! wasn't, etc...), it's all the same deity. One for the Jew and three(somewhat) for you...ooops ... that Holy Ghost? eh...well, "it's the essence of tha Loooord".
You know it's difficult at times to discuss this subject with all of the flavors and variations of the Abrahamic religions(Christianity has over 30,000 sects, Judaism a good few, Islam - the same).
So, it turns out that as an atheist, oft times when discussing the Christian religion, say for instance, if baptism is brought up, and full immersion is the method of the particular adherent, or sprinkling suffices, or some see it as purely symbolic, while others see it as an absolute requirement - we get lambasted for not being intimately acquainted with your specific belief. It's not that atheists aren't aware of the variations, but we're sorta' having to gauge what type each person is, on the fly. How many variations of Christian are on this thread alone?
My point being, is that atheists have to approach the discussion in the broadest sense possible.
Since, there are Christians that utilize the entire bible as legitimate and "proper for instruction" etc... You don't see Leviticus as valid, only applicable to a certain time/culture, "way back when".
Others do, and see it as perfectly valid. Deuteronomy, too, and every other book of the bible.
And therein lies the problem, is that the atheist never knows what type of Christian is being encountered, until those details come out.
Which is a a laborious process.
But, fascinating.
That process of faith supported religious belief is fascinating.
Hope that helps and clarifies what the atheist encounters on these threads just a little.
Clarified.

I DO love it when an ignorant theist tries to throw the supposed laws of Leviticus at you to support their notion that "gay is bad, God said so" and y'all throw right back the other ridiculous laws, like not cutting your hair, not mixing fabrics, etc.

I suggest that you try to learn what religion a theist is in before debating and hammering them. Remember when you used to give me Jewish shit like I'm Jewish?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552913 Jun 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In the U.S., I often hesitate to say I'm an atheist, for fear of making others uncomfortable.
Not so in China, England, Western Europe. It's no different than saying I like seafood. People could care less about religion.
RR, I recommend some travel abroad--you'll be VERY surprised.
Abroad?!

You mean like to LA?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552914 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were a redneck.
I ain't never seen them used together like that.

No redneck has.

But I appreciate the effort.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#552915 Jun 29, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Two nuns are driving at night in a swamp. A vampire flys out of a shadowy stand of moss-covered trees and lands menacingly on the hood of their car. The nun who's driving says to the other nun, "Quick! Sister! Show him your cross!"
The second nun leans out of the window, grabs the vampire and screams, "GET THE FNCK OFF THE G0DDAMN CAR!!!"
LMAO

Location hidden

#552916 Jun 29, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty broad statement.
Religious school?
What "religion"?
Christian (which denomination), Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Atheism, Taoism, Toa Choa, Secularism, Humnism, etc...?
Christian.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#552917 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Africa is a continent, not a country.
I realized my error after posting but I assumed that you would know what I meant...sorry...I sometimes assume things that I shouldn't.

Location hidden

#552918 Jun 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Clarified.
I DO love it when an ignorant theist tries to throw the supposed laws of Leviticus at you to support their notion that "gay is bad, God said so" and y'all throw right back the other ridiculous laws, like not cutting your hair, not mixing fabrics, etc.
I suggest that you try to learn what religion a theist is in before debating and hammering them. Remember when you used to give me Jewish shit like I'm Jewish?
What I remember is giving you the origin of your religion. Christianity is the child of the parent religion of Judaism.

I know you aren't Jewish, but you do incorporate Judaic religious texts and certain precepts into your Christian belief structure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 hr Canary Cohen Sings 71,475
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 3 hr Doctor REALITY 95
Good Nite, my Fellow Dorkinsteins! 3 hr Doctor REALITY 1
"O.J. hit me while he (BLEEPED!) me! 3 hr Doctor REALITY 2
Black/White mindsets, relations, and fears in A... 4 hr Doctor REALITY 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr Rosesz 699,379
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr eggosaurus 995,032
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Dang Jersey Piney 447,390