Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#551053 Jun 24, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
We already have several times.
Go read it without prejudice and bias.
Well be accomadating and give me chapter and verse please.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#551054 Jun 24, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
You think happiness and love is dependent upon money and sex? Well, no wonder you think women are either whores or lesbians. Many women do not need a man to live and be free. I've been infinitely patient with you Beedy French pretending creepy stalker pig, not anymore. Rot in your putrid religion, rot in your money and rot in your whores. Enjoy breaking every mirror you look into. I forgive you and leave you to GOD. Btw. The dying poor man is more of a man in his pinky fingernail than you can ever hope to be as is thee boy as are all the gay men in the world. LOVE IS ALL.
Just ignore him. I sure do.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#551055 Jun 24, 2013
Favorite Adversary wrote:
Cherry picking the bible is what happens when somebody wishes to make a point and uses a specific passage or verse to do so in order to add validity to their specific argument. Both believers and non-believers do this. It's called "proof text." Proof text takes place when one looks at a sentence and takes it at face value without first considering the cultural or other possible contexts.
For example, a fundamentalist may interpret the bible as saying that slavery is okay (This was common during the American Civil War) when in fact, involuntary slavery is not only evil, but isn't supported as legitimate in the early church.(We can open this topic later)
An atheist may interpret Jesus as saying that we're supposed to literally hate our families, when that's not what he's saying at all. Each side is going to "cherry pick" verses to support their claims and make their opponents look as foolish as possible, without realizing how foolish they both look.
My side of an argument, when we're arguing about what the Bible says, is usually chosen (cherry chosen), by the particular believer I'm arguing with. I merely point out inconsistencies and contradictions, whether they exist in the Bible, or in a person's belief system.

I have no reason not to consider all possible interpretations, since I don't necessarily believe any to be correct. I have no bias to confirm.

A believer applies their bias to interpret the Bible in whatever way they were conditioned to.

Cherry picking is believing one out of many possible interpretations. It's not possible for a Christian to be a Christian, and still interpret the Bible tenably. ONLY an unbiased reader can do that.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#551056 Jun 24, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ignore him. I sure do.
I tried to help him *shrugs*

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#551057 Jun 24, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you say all that real fast 20 times?? Go look in the mirror. Walk through a forest and stare at the sky. There's your *evidence**
:)
Only on Topix would someone not only claim absence of evidence is evidence of absence but others will defend it. There may be nothing they don't circle the wagons on!

Good to see ya Juicy, been a while:)

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#551058 Jun 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
So explain to me how a spirit can conceive out of wedlock???(Jesus) So explain to me how a spirit can conceive by adultery????(Jesus) So explain to me how a spirit can rape a female below the age of consent?????(Mary)
scaritual wrote:
The explanation is in the bible.
lil whispers wrote:
Please give chapter verse.
lil whispers wrote:
So explain to me how a spirit can conceive out of wedlock???(Jesus)
18) This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.(Matthew 1:18)

The myth states it clearly. The "spirit" and Mary were not married.
lil whispers wrote:
So explain to me how a spirit can conceive by adultery????(Jesus)
24) When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25) But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.(Matthew 1:24,25)

A "spirit" can't conceive by adultery, but the out of wedlock pregnancy, caused by the 'spirit" did cause marital problems for Mary and Joseph, as evidenced by Josephs reluctance to consummate the marriage while she was pregnant - out of wedlock - by a "spirit's" child.

Notice also, Joseph had no free will in the matter. He was commanded by the "angel of the Lord". The myth says the "Lord" gets what he wants... and he wanted Mary, and he wanted Joseph to get over it and marry her. He commanded it(by proxy).
lil whispers wrote:
So explain to me how a spirit can rape a female below the age of consent?????(Mary)
30) But the angel said to her,“Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31) You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32) He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33) and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”

34)“How will this be,” Mary asked the angel,“since I am a virgin?”

35) The angel answered,“The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36) Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37) For no word from God will ever fail.”

38)“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered.“May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.(Luke 1:30-38)

Yep. That's rape. Mary had no choice.

Just look at the key phrases:

"You will conceive and give birth to a son"
“How will this be,” Mary asked the angel,“since I am a virgin?”
“The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you."

This next phrase makes it unavoidable, it can only be as it is said to be by the deity(those are the conditions of your mythology and the deity powers).

"For no word from God will ever fail"

Again, take note that there is no free will in these commands. It is inevitable. Mary and Joseph, both, have no free will in this story.

It's your myth.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#551059 Jun 24, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
... She must've had a thing for Angels, who can blame the girl?...
When two angels meet the world stands still for a while. Then God breaks them up.

<wipes tears away>

"I am a jealous God" - Exodus 20:5

“"None shall pass"”

There

#551060 Jun 24, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
You could start one. Lol
LOL

Location hidden

#551061 Jun 24, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
The US is far less secular than say, we in the UK are.
Americans can lay claim to being secular in their constitution, however out on the street and in society at large - Christianity has worked its way into the nooks and crannies of everyday life.
Here in the UK, we may have a state religion but it's dying on its feet and we only keep it for ceremonial pomp and other silliness.
I either forgot or didn't know you from the UK

I don't know much about the UK but I don't have any reason to doubt it if you say it is more secular. I understand where you are coming from now a little better

I am not sure I characterize quite so much as working its way into ever nook and cranny as IMO it not only has always been part of the culture and if anything there are some things it used to be part of more. But either way we both agree as to where it is today

IMO I think people sometimes think religious freedom is an idea synonymous with secularism when it really isn't. People weren't fighting for the right to be atheist as much as the right to believe as they choose and not have anything forced upon them.

Most people have been believers and still are in U.S. society

But I do agree with the right for people to believe (or not believe as the case may be) in whatever they choose as nothing should be forced

(T) Peace

“"None shall pass"”

There

#551062 Jun 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
I never stated I knew more then the Jews do.I simply stated what the Bible reads.Now if ya do not know just say so what true day is the seventh cause the Bible only states the seventh day and no certain day.
The Jews wrote the Book and have said it was Saturday for over 2500 years. the Christians agreed with that until a Roman Emperor told them change it or die.

It has nothing to do with what the book says but what they people who wrote it say it means.

Do you tell any other authors that they don;t know what their own books are about ?

I can give you Stephen King's phone number if you would like to tell him he doesn't understand his own books.

Location hidden

#551063 Jun 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, Tide. Cherry picking does not only apply to believers. It could be done on any form of writing, in any context and from any book. It's done all the time here, imagine if I took your whole post and only responded to this part:
I'll concede just a little. Cherry picking only applies to those with a confirmation bias, which includes all believers (see Note 1 below), but may include some irrational non believers as well.

Only responding to part of a post is not cherry picking. Cherry picking has to do with what you believe is true, not what you choose to talk about, or focus on.

Note 1: All Christians have confirmation bias, but not for all of their Christian beliefs. Most Christians lack the training to interpret the Bible in the way that an unbiased historian can.

Location hidden

#551064 Jun 24, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
One Santa Claus is enough don't you think?
Time to tell them Jesus does not exist either
You are running out of material

You are in the death throes of a Topix troll

Superman and Santa Claus posts? Really?

And you had started off so sure of you Biblical knowledge and this is where you end up?

Meh, trolls under-performing is kind of their thing anyway:)

Location hidden

#551065 Jun 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a buffoon.
Another troll living down to expectations

What happened to you Catcher?

You showed some promise when you first followed another guy to this room after announcing his whereabouts to others!

Um...you know, on second thought, this isn't that surprising:)

Location hidden

#551066 Jun 24, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I don;t believe in spirits. I don't believe the pagan "Zeus impregnating women" mythology of Matthew and Luke.
Mark, John and even Paul never mention the pagan God's Baby stories.
Anyway the Bile says we are all "Children of God".... just like Jesus.
Humm children of God.Just like Jesus so your saying you are a product of out of wedlock,adultry,and rape right!!!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#551067 Jun 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Well be accomadating and give me chapter and verse please.
"18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying,“Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus,for he will save his people from their sins.” 22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel”(which means, God with us). 24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus."
—Matthew 1:18-25

26 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said,“Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” 29 But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. 30 And the angel said to her,“Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” 34 And Mary said to the angel,“How will this be, since I am a virgin?” 35 And the angel answered her,“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God. 36 And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. 37 For nothing will be impossible with God.” 38 And Mary said,“Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her."
—Luke 1:26-38

This where Christianity got the "God magically impregnated Mary before she was to wed Joseph" story from.

It is the ONLY account of it in The Bible.

note that it also says that John the Baptist's mother Elizabeth had an identical magical impregnation which makes John the Baptist a God Baby as well.

It is the pagan "Zeus getting women pregnant' story retold.

Location hidden

#551068 Jun 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you don't, unless you're dealing narcotics.
<quoted text>
Actually, I know it - first hand. That's why I can be open about what my profession was. You choose to conceal your work. I'm sure you're ashamed of it. Are you an AM/PM mini-market clerk? They work all night. Or maybe you restock the shelves at Wal-Mart. Or walk a beat patrolling a car lot at night.
You seem to think that you can earn respect by blowing all of the opportunities that you were born with. You can't, and you don't. What do you deserve respect for? Your many personal failures? Your character? Your mind? Your heart? Your personality? Your contribution to the thread? Your contribution to your neighborhood and country?
Why haven't you been a better person? What's so hard about that?
<quoted text>
You are as tenaciously committed to your ignorance as is possible, yet another reason not to respect you. Who do you think respects a person that prefers hunkering down in a pointless and indefensible position over harmony, self-improvement, and moving on?
<quoted text>
No you don't. You work the night shift at an entry level job. That's probably about fifteen bucks an hour -$30,000 for fifty forty-hour weeks a year.
It's rough on cons, isn't it? They never let you forget.
LOL

Your denial doesn't extend to me, although its funny how bad you want it to

I have been rolled into Tier 1

That's $28 an hour straight time

You live in A Mexican slum where your neighbors make $5 a day

All your fantasies can't change that. Maybe you can pretend you are riding a tidal wave back to the States? LOL

You are a disgraced doctor who either lost his money in lawsuits or fled to Mexico to avoid more of them is my guess. That or somehow your life as a "legal" drug dealer didn't pay as much as you thought

Enjoy your breakfast burritos, I hear they are a staple over there:)

I can afford better and I don't have to feel guilty that people living in abject poverty are waiting on me and trying to placate my ego because they are that desperate for my money. You probably encourage it. All hail Mexican King Ians where his $20 makes him undisputed leader of his slum

~snicker

Location hidden

#551069 Jun 24, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Jews have had a quite different approach. Everything beyond the exact words in the Torah (Five Books of Moses) is opinion. Judaism is "Tradition" and "Rabbinical Opinions" no claims of perfect interpretation or authority. One can even be an atheist and still be Jewish.
I thought seriously about bringing that up but didn't want to give RR too much to juggle at one time.

Location hidden

#551070 Jun 24, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like I have stated for the last 30 years:
The non-deity, non-anthropomorphic, creative and motive force of the Universe.
"The Tao can not be explained. Words may be used to describe it but none are adequate."
So your are a non theists.You choose to follow man.Tao or Dao the way,flow or path.Started by Hon Ming chen in orginal started in Taiwan.Then why do you use God as a avartar???

“"None shall pass"”

There

#551071 Jun 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Humm children of God.Just like Jesus so your saying you are a product of out of wedlock,adultry,and rape right!!!
My father was an Ben'Adam until his final breath.
My mom was an Elohim and died when her gift of art was taken from her. She ceased to breathe decades later.

I am from a long line of Gods.

Our family line reaches back to King Arthur, St. Ambrose, Joseph of Arimathea and Mary Magdalene.

Location hidden

#551072 Jun 24, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
18) This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.(Matthew 1:18)
The myth states it clearly. The "spirit" and Mary were not married.
<quoted text>
24) When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25) But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.(Matthew 1:24,25)
A "spirit" can't conceive by adultery, but the out of wedlock pregnancy, caused by the 'spirit" did cause marital problems for Mary and Joseph, as evidenced by Josephs reluctance to consummate the marriage while she was pregnant - out of wedlock - by a "spirit's" child.
Notice also, Joseph had no free will in the matter. He was commanded by the "angel of the Lord". The myth says the "Lord" gets what he wants... and he wanted Mary, and he wanted Joseph to get over it and marry her. He commanded it(by proxy).
<quoted text>
30) But the angel said to her,“Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31) You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32) He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33) and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34)“How will this be,” Mary asked the angel,“since I am a virgin?”
35) The angel answered,“The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36) Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37) For no word from God will ever fail.”
38)“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered.“May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.(Luke 1:30-38)
Yep. That's rape. Mary had no choice.
Just look at the key phrases:
"You will conceive and give birth to a son"
“How will this be,” Mary asked the angel,“since I am a virgin?”
“The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you."
This next phrase makes it unavoidable, it can only be as it is said to be by the deity(those are the conditions of your mythology and the deity powers).
Again, take note that there is no free will in these commands. It is inevitable. Mary and Joseph, both, have no free will in this story.
It's your myth.
Now tell me your myth how you come bouncing into the world?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Tellthetruth 989,858
Spread This Around & Stop The Lies! 28 min Truth 1
News Arresting the homeless isn't the answer (Jul '12) 1 hr Christie Taylor 3
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr iamcuriousnow 42,498
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 2 hr European Slave 156
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr PadMark 690,591
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 5 hr Paul McCartney is... 639
More from around the web