Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#549399 Jun 22, 2013
lacez wrote:
“I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out,“Atheism is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.”- Amanda Marcotte
Good to see that. That was an excellent observation and so well put.

Here's a little more from the same woman :

“But I also have to quarrel with the very notion that a person’s arguments can be dismissed because of anger. Smugly accusing someone of anger doesn’t do anything to discount the content of the argument. I’d argue that people who see vile behavior in the name of religion and don’t get angry are the ones who have something wrong with them.”- Amanda Marcotte

“If you heard a marketer brag that he targets people who’ve been diagnosed with terminal illnesses because they’re easier targets, or a guy say he likes to cruise funerals because grieving women are easier to pick up, you’d think that person had no morals at all. But targeting people in moments of weakness to sell them religion is regarded as a normal and even virtuous strategy for proselytizing.”- Amanda Marcotte

“Atheist are routinely asked how people will know not to rape and murder without religion telling them not to do it, especially a religion that backs up the orders with threats of hell. Believers, listen to me carefully when I say this: When you use this argument, you terrify atheists. We hear you saying that the only thing standing between you and Ted Bundy is a flimsy belief in a supernatural being made up by pre-literate people trying to figure out where the rain came from. This is not very reassuring if you’re trying to argue from a position of moral superiority.”- Amanda Marcotte

Fennario

#549400 Jun 22, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Theological foundations for the Inquisition
"The proponents of the Inquisition (and, amazingly, apologists since the Inquisition ended in 1834), point to both Biblical and theological sources for its justification. The biblical passages most often quoted by the early Inquisitors were from Mosaic Law, in the Old Testament. This is, of course, somewhat questionable theology, as Mosaic Law regarding, say, dietary restrictions were completely ignored by the Church from the 1st century on, yet suddenly (in the 13th century), Mosaic Law seemed to be a perfectly reasonable justification for burning thousands of people at the stake! Key passages are quoted below (edited for brevity):
(From Deuteronomy 13 NIV) "If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you... and he says,'Let us follow other gods'... That prophet or dreamer must be put to death... You must purge the evil from among you.
If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying,'Let us go and worship other gods'... do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him... You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death... Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.
If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray... then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock.
Gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. It is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt."
(From Exodus 22:18 NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live."
Many of the elements found in the aforementioned extracts from Mosaic Law would later be closely emulated by the Inquisition, including:
"Purging" of "prophets and dreamers" (the charge that lead to the death of Joan of Arc)
Family members in the Inquisition were encouraged to testify against each other
Putting to death heretics as an example to others
The guidance to "inquire, probe and investigate" towns that have gone astray could be a job description for later Inquisitors!
Destruction of whole towns, to wipe out heresy.
It was much more difficult for the proponents of the Inquisition to find New Testament justification for their acts. The most often quoted New Testament verse is from John 15:
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. John 15:6 NIV "
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/...
Good job.

The bible can be used to support any position or its opposite.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#549401 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very elementary way to put it.
God doesn't torture you or send you to Hell, you do that yourself.
God doesn't make one a meth addict, they do that to themselves.
God made you in His image. You have the power to say yes or no.
<quoted text>
You're blaming God. Why? Do you blame God for other things that might be negative?
Does God allow disease?
Does God allow the electric chair?
Does God allow us to tear apart our homes and families?
Does God allow war?
The answer is no, those things are caused by us, by sin.
<quoted text>
That "culture" is still alive and well today. More so than it was back then.
I agree RR....

Fennario

#549402 Jun 22, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
sperm spectoze fluids ... mexican chicken arena
Blind Man admires your creativity. I don't see it. What am I missing here?

Fennario

#549403 Jun 22, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
where is storage of those loves what you store somewhere, and put outside later?
That sounds familiar. Shakespeare?

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549404 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was reality, you could prove it.
<quoted text>
And if could choose not to sleep, I wouldn't. But we are all bound by the same laws.
<quoted text>
You have a choice to go to one or the other.
<quoted text>
It's no myth, but carry on.
<quoted text>
BINGO!
YAHTZEE!
SURVEY SAYS!
He DOES want everyone to go to heaven and has given you the power to choose.
Ding...DIng...Ding

And it is up to each person to choose.....Can't get any more clearer

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549405 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, it doesn't.
But it appears that he's only looking for food.
Food for his soul....Or food for sustinance?...Quite a difference

Do think thre are "scales" on their spiritual eyes?...They will never see until God takes them off.

You were on a "Roll" last night RR....:-)

Fennario

#549406 Jun 22, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you have not noticed that I have some fans following me.lol
My loyal fans fairy icons.lol Blessings they are.(((Hugs for my icons))).
I'm one of your fans, Whispers. I joke with you and likely always will. You're a hoot - kind of a female Forest Gump - Florence Gump. You seem like a good soul, and I respect that, even when you're not on a posting jag like you have been.

Just so that you know, I never give you or anybody else bad icons with one exception: if I see a post critical of me with one set of negative icons, I will double it as evidence that at least one other person thought so. But apart from that, I might give you a heart or a life saver now and again, but nothing bad.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#549407 Jun 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. You can't just invent afterlives.
And if you can, then I'm inventing another one after that, the third life, or after-afterlife. Why not. If you can just declare the existence of the one extra realm with no evidence, why not two - or three, or whatever you like?
What rational argument can you give for accepting heaven but rejecting after-heaven as well?
Scripture tells me only about one more life, life everlasting. There is also explanation of the second death, for those who are not chosen. Maybe there is a third after that? Those of us who have prayed and got answers as that ceiling fan spun have sufficient anecdotal evidence in addition to spiritual discernment and faith. Scripture long ago plainly says, without faith you cannot please God.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549408 Jun 22, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh....Do you think a 15 year old cat would hop into a cupboard above the counter for no reason? I already believe.....she intended to scare the crap out of me and you can't tell me otherwise!!
So NS......***Epi taps her chin***

What did you do to your cat? Could it be something in your past...maybe something in the last 15 years?

LOL

((*L-))

(

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#549409 Jun 22, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean Jesus and his amicas?
Ya, lol. They're out from of Home Depot waiting to be be found ;)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#549410 Jun 22, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<ArAr> "My deity can do anything!...Well, except the things he can't do... C'mon, that's just common sense... Why do you place limitations on my limitless deity? WHY DO YOU NOT BELIEVE MY GOD EXISTS?"
Siiigh....

You guys and your atheist circle jerks.

I've never said that I think God is limitless, they are things even He can't do.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#549411 Jun 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Blind Man admires your creativity. I don't see it. What am I missing here?
peyote, you must ingest large amounts of it to see like dr shrink

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#549412 Jun 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha.
"But even an all-powerful being cannot do what is impossible by definition."
What do you think I've been arguing?
God not being able to turn truth into a lie is a limitation of the logical law of non contradiction.
Hey Scar, he's a hoot, ain't he?
You're being illogical.

In what logical way could an all powerful, omnipotent, universe-creating being make a spherical triangle?

Go.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549413 Jun 22, 2013
Ok....
I
-
W
I
L
L
-
C
-
U

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#549414 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm.....

Quite the retort.

How could I ever have a comeback to that one?

Oh...

Once again, just because you don't like it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't a Christian.
You know what?
I'm not going to try and get you to see straight about Hitler anymore because we've already gone through this.
Others and I have presented evidence that he has a Christian.
Your rebuttal is simply "I don't like what he did and therefore he isn't a Christian."

Evidence vs opinion.

The fact that you think opinion wins shows you are delusional on the subject, extremely so.

See, it's like something I've heard from someone a while ago:
"You can't teach a Creationist how old the Earth is."

Montreal

#549415 Jun 22, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>JESUS was not a liar ~
Serah, you misread again.

I said Trifecta's Jesus was a liar.

Your Jesus doesn't sound like a liar.

Montreal

#549416 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It may appear that way, but there is only one Jesus.

There is no "his Jesus".
Actually there is.
No one can agree on what their Jesus's values, morals, ideals, and so on, are.
It's just like their god.
Not one person can agree on their god'a personality, or anything else for that matter.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#549417 Jun 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:

Speaking within the reality you've presented, God had the power to save that life, but chose not to. God didn't want to save that life.
And? God knows there's more to us than our physical bodies.

Are you implying that God should save that life? Suppose the person jumping off that building WANTS their life to end, what right does God have to intervene?
Just after wanting to save that life, all it would take is a blink or whatever for an all powerful god to get exactly what it wants. God is ultimately responsible for that death, even if the person who jumps is also responsible.
You're assuming He wanted to...
Responsibility is not a ball to be passed around. It falls to every agent that makes decisions. An all powerful uncreated creator god holds more responsibility for the goings on in the universe than anything it created. It is either in complete control, or is not in complete control. Having the power puts you in complete control.
So you're suggesting that God has a DUTY to protect us?
If you are all powerful, and know that something is going to happen that you don't want to happen, you change what is going to happen. To not change it is to decide that you want it to happen. You can't be all powerful and not get exactly what you want. You can't be responsible for creating the universe and not responsible for what happens in that universe, more so than any agent in that universe, because they have less power in it.
Well, if God followed your perameters of responsibilty, we wouldn't be individuals, we'd be mindless automatons that only get to do what God wants us to do.

But that isn't the case.

Fennario

#549418 Jun 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
You saved those?
Of course. They're original humor with one possible exception. I shared that with you. Somebody told me that one of the jokes that I used with you was not original - about two years ago. So, I have been looking over the Internet for the last two years and haven't found the joke anywhere except from me. In the meantime, when I was using it, I was putting it in quotes and attributing it to anon.

I'm claiming it now.

Anyway, it's art - the creative art of the insult. Some of those were pretty funny.

So hell yes, I saved it.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Obsessed any?
Nah. My focus is not on you and not negative, but on the insults themselves.

And it turns out that I have developed some very good habits of storing and retrieving information. Keeping good records was a professional asset, and comes to me pretty easily now. The computer makes it possible.

The hardest part is choosing what to collect. Insults to nano was well worth the few seconds each it took to add them to a running list. I've got a few dozen collections going.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Why don't you show the one where I had you o'er the barrel?
I missed those. Your stuff's not the worst, but I doubt that you e'er had me o'er a barrel.

Why are we always fighting? How can you stay this mad at me for this long? You've obviously been an inspiration to me - a muse to my muse, if you will. But I'm willing to give all of that up. I really don't know what we're fighting about anyway - just that you don't approve of me. I can't help you there.

Do you prefer to poke and banter at one another? I don't, but I'll defer to your preference. If you like it or if it serves you in any way, it's no hardship to maintain the status quo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Steve III 640,999
Leslie Van Houten's parole hearing August 2009 (Jul '09) 11 min Steve 1,579
"Your honor, the people calls it's next...WITNE... 14 min Doctor REALITY 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 27 min AussieBobby 44,262
Mexicunn men in America r punk zza beechizz!! 30 min Johnny 14
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 34 min USA-1 38,314
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 34 min Just Think 104,547
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr jasiEL 969,783
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr Thinking 37,134
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr onemale 280,845
More from around the web