Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#549383 Jun 21, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha.
"But even an all-powerful being cannot do what is impossible by definition."
What do you think I've been arguing?
God not being able to turn truth into a lie is a limitation of the logical law of non contradiction.
Hey Scar, he's a hoot, ain't he?
<ArAr> "My deity can do anything!...Well, except the things he can't do... C'mon, that's just common sense... Why do you place limitations on my limitless deity? WHY DO YOU NOT BELIEVE MY GOD EXISTS?"

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#549384 Jun 22, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>someone can't be blackmailed into worshiping Jesus Christ writer, you talking foolishness.
No one can worship Jesus Christ by force. Someone may be forced to go to church and become part of the Christian Religion--but that is as far as it go.
Of course they are.

"Worship me or I will torture you for all eternity"

That's blackmail.

Watford, UK

#549385 Jun 22, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>A soul is a scientific Fact. The latest extensive research on the subject shows that that a Soul, or a Psyche exist:
http://www.npr.org/books/titles/172494833/era...
Excerpt from "Erasing death" Sam Parnia-MD. What we do know is the the "Self", consciousness, psyche or soul- which included the mind-does exist and is clearly linked with very specific regions in the brain that are wired and linked together through electrical impulses generated by the movement of certain chemicals in and out of cells"
There is scientific evidence for this so far.
1. A soul exist.
2. A soul exist for hours after medical death has occurred.
Science has evidence to support [1 & 2].
So you ask what a soul is? now ya know.
All that shows is that these people were not dead. They may have been clinically dead but clinically dead is not actually dead; there is a difference in that their minds were still functioning, albeit in a diminished capacity.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#549386 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics call it intercessory prayer, which is in-biblical.
I hope you're learning.
I can go into detail if you like.
Catholic bashing is in again I guess. So the dear leader has shot of his mouth again. Sad. He blames Catholic schools for being "divisive" while in Ireland. This from a joke of a man that is nothing but divisive to this nation and beyond.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#549387 Jun 22, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, just because you don't like it doesn't change the fact that he was Christian.
With this logic everyone in Fox's book of Martyrs is Christian. Get a clue. Actions speak louder than words.

Watford, UK

#549388 Jun 22, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Well good for you. I don't hate that you're a Secular Humanist, Freedom of Religion is a great thing.
I rather the Christian Religion, I'm free to choose that. You should not have a problem with that right?
It would be better if you cut yourself free from the part of your belief system that makes you admire genocide, killing gays, adulterers, witches, non-believers, rebellious kids, etc.

In fact, why don't you tear out any pages from your bible that advocate killing?

That would be a big step forward.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#549389 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
So the evidence based belief that God is a myth, man-made, not real, etc is based on nothing; because you have no evidence to support that idea.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

I realize that this is often said in its opposite form as if it were a pithy truism, but that would be incorrect. While absence of proof is NOT proof of absence, absence of expected evidence is most assuredly evidence of absence. If you claim that you were at work on a day when nobody saw you and your time card was not punched, you probably won't be paid, even though that is not proof that you didn't just forget to clock in and that you were always where nobody else was all day. Perhaps you'd like to claim that you were in the field in the company car, but if the odometer and gas gauge haven't budged from yesterday, you may get fired for lying. This would all absence of expected evidence serving as evidence of your absence from work.

Your god claims to want to be known by man. He has allegedly visited the earth and done magic. And he will allegedly answer prayer. Yet scientists have been scouring the cosmos from the grandest to the smallest scales, where they have found nothing that suggests a god.

I understand that not a bit of this matters to a faith based thinker. But it does to evidence based thinkers.

Watford, UK

#549390 Jun 22, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic bashing is in again I guess. So the dear leader has shot of his mouth again. Sad. He blames Catholic schools for being "divisive" while in Ireland. This from a joke of a man that is nothing but divisive to this nation and beyond.
Catholic bashing will always be in when you have proclamations from the Vatican that say things like: the ordination of women priests is a grave crime that's on a par with sexual abuse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/15/v...

Why do they make idiotic statements like this?

I guess it's because the RCC has always claimed to be the source of truth. This, of course, makes it difficult to admit that they're ever wrong which, in itself, discourages questioning and scepticism.

As we came out of the Middle Ages, enlightened people began to realise that RCC viewpoints rules were increasingly remote from the modern world. You may claim that your church's values are eternal; I'd say that those values are a reflection of the patterns of the age in which they were established. They have no divine claim to wisdom.

The RCC wasn't just about the teachings of Jesus it was also about unswerving obedience. Disobedience carried heavy punishments, including excommunication, which Catholics are taught will endanger their immortal souls.

I suspect that I'm hardly scratching the surface here. It may not have been the direct intention of the RCC to stunt the use of logic and reason and the growth of learning and knowledge, however, it certainly happened. Maybe I think of it as a knock-on effect of the RCC exerting too much influence.

After all, we only need to look at the reaction of the RCC when the first European (China had them centuries before) printing presses started to produce bulk runs of the Bible. Prior to the printing press, the RCC had a monopoly on the production of documents and books. They also had the authority and influence to ensure that any documents it deemed to be heretical could be seized and destroyed.

Thankfully and despite the best efforts of the RCC to prevent it, printing presses took book copying out of the hands of the church. This led to more and more secular publications which would shake the foundations of centuries of Christian thought.

Let's just refresh our memory of some of this Christian thought...

"Empty your minds of secular knowledge."

-John Chrysostom, Holy Hierarch of Constantinople (347-407)-

“Scripture gives no false information.” & "Since God has spoken to us it is no longer necessary for us to think."

– St Augustine of Hippo,(354-430)-

"Unbaptised babies go straight to Hell and suffer there for all eternity." & "All sexual desire is sinful in itself and is justified only for the sake of children." & "Ignorance is the mother of piety"

-Pope Gregory I,(590-604)-

Fennario

#549391 Jun 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Personally, I object to double standards such as the idea that saying "Happy Holidays" is a War on Christmas, but saying "Merry Christmas" is spreading holiday cheer, or that a sign saying "You know it's a myth" is considered mean-spirited and inappropriate by the same people that consider a sign saying "He is the reason for the season" the opposite. It's not. Double standards such as those are a kind of selfishness that Christians are seldom even aware of.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When an atheist chooses to live in a predominantly Christian nation and they see "He is the reason for the season", how the heck can they be offended?
Exactly as I indicated. The double standard is offensive.

How about the idea that taking "God" off of the currency is promoting atheism or attacking Christianity? Do you see a double standard there?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#549392 Jun 22, 2013
DA []D [] []V[] []D

Fennario

#549393 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yup, I'll go along with you on that one. I myslef am learning much about the mind of the atheist here, I'll admit - I had you all wrong.
I'm pleased to hear that. And thank you for saying so. You are a credit to the Christian contingent here.

Unfortunately for us nonbelievers, it has been the people that don't approve of us that have defined us for the dominant culture for centuries. That works out about the same as letting the Muslims define the Christians and the Christians the Muslims, or the capitalists defining the Communists and the Communists the capitalists. It's always pretty negative.

You've probably heard liberals defining conservatives and conservatives defining liberals. If that was all you heard,... well, you get the picture.

Atheists haven't had a voice until the last generation or so. Most Christians learned about us from the church, or from somebody who learned about us there. You probably know that we are about the despised demographic apart from pedophiles. We don't deserve that.

But thanks for taking some of what you believe from an atheist. People like Trifecta are committed to their one-sided caricatures of god hating, self-centered, licentious, irresponsible people living in open rebellion of a self-evident god and lying to themselves in order to live immoderate and dissolute lives without accountability. You've seen it all, too.

What's unjust about that is that however kind, decent, just, generous, loyal, courageous or industrious you may be, in the eyes of millions and millions and millions of Americans, if you call yourself an atheist, you are seen as infected by demons and therefore both untrustworthy and fit for hell. Why should somebody like any of the skeptic posters here have to choose between concealing their beliefs and dealing with that stigma?

“~ Prince of Peace~”

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#549394 Jun 22, 2013
Morning

Have a cuppa of coffee (tea...hot chocolate)

Think of how stupid the average person is,
and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

~ George Carlin

Thought for the day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549395 Jun 22, 2013
Today's Prayer

"You have received of us how you ought to walk and to please God, so you would abound more and more. For you know the commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, even your sanctification" (1 Thess. 4:1-3). Dear Father in Heaven, Thank you for giving me your Word as a light unto my path and a lamp unto my feet. Please forgive me when I am "hard-headed" and do not follow your commandments. I want to do your will, which I understand is based on your Word. Sometimes it is difficult to live under the authority of certain people. Human nature makes me want to rebel, but your Word instructs me to obey those in authority, as long as that obedience is not in direct conflict to your Word. Please give me the strength to obey and do what is right. Please bless me when I do this and walk in a way that is pleasing to you. Thank you in the name of Jesus, amen.

Prime time with God

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549396 Jun 22, 2013
Encouraging Words....

All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God's paths to follow our own. Yet the Lord laid on him the sins of us all.

Isaiah 53:6

K-Love

Fennario

#549397 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
haploid...
diploid...
mitosis....
gametophyte...
*RR's brain hurts*
Me no understand
You could get it if it weren't so dry and irrelevant to you. The ideas are simple, the language awkward. But I love that stuff, and the words get easier with continued exposure.

But did you get the significance of the story? There are two alternating forms to many species: A -> B -> A. Our gametes - sperm and egg - can be thought of as a population of living organisms living within what we consider people, and utilizing us as vectors to perpetuate their kind. If they could think, and if we were less intelligent and more plantlike, that IS what they would think about us. To me, that's a pretty interesting way to conceptualize things, and a little unsettling.

Fennario

#549398 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, I did't think it was necessary for the post. After all, if RR can do a Google search, anyone can...
Sharing your sources doesn't need be thought of as an obligation. It's a gift.

Fennario

#549399 Jun 22, 2013
lacez wrote:
“I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out,“Atheism is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.”- Amanda Marcotte
Good to see that. That was an excellent observation and so well put.

Here's a little more from the same woman :

“But I also have to quarrel with the very notion that a person’s arguments can be dismissed because of anger. Smugly accusing someone of anger doesn’t do anything to discount the content of the argument. I’d argue that people who see vile behavior in the name of religion and don’t get angry are the ones who have something wrong with them.”- Amanda Marcotte

“If you heard a marketer brag that he targets people who’ve been diagnosed with terminal illnesses because they’re easier targets, or a guy say he likes to cruise funerals because grieving women are easier to pick up, you’d think that person had no morals at all. But targeting people in moments of weakness to sell them religion is regarded as a normal and even virtuous strategy for proselytizing.”- Amanda Marcotte

“Atheist are routinely asked how people will know not to rape and murder without religion telling them not to do it, especially a religion that backs up the orders with threats of hell. Believers, listen to me carefully when I say this: When you use this argument, you terrify atheists. We hear you saying that the only thing standing between you and Ted Bundy is a flimsy belief in a supernatural being made up by pre-literate people trying to figure out where the rain came from. This is not very reassuring if you’re trying to argue from a position of moral superiority.”- Amanda Marcotte

Fennario

#549400 Jun 22, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Theological foundations for the Inquisition
"The proponents of the Inquisition (and, amazingly, apologists since the Inquisition ended in 1834), point to both Biblical and theological sources for its justification. The biblical passages most often quoted by the early Inquisitors were from Mosaic Law, in the Old Testament. This is, of course, somewhat questionable theology, as Mosaic Law regarding, say, dietary restrictions were completely ignored by the Church from the 1st century on, yet suddenly (in the 13th century), Mosaic Law seemed to be a perfectly reasonable justification for burning thousands of people at the stake! Key passages are quoted below (edited for brevity):
(From Deuteronomy 13 NIV) "If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you... and he says,'Let us follow other gods'... That prophet or dreamer must be put to death... You must purge the evil from among you.
If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying,'Let us go and worship other gods'... do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him... You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death... Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.
If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray... then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock.
Gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. It is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt."
(From Exodus 22:18 NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live."
Many of the elements found in the aforementioned extracts from Mosaic Law would later be closely emulated by the Inquisition, including:
"Purging" of "prophets and dreamers" (the charge that lead to the death of Joan of Arc)
Family members in the Inquisition were encouraged to testify against each other
Putting to death heretics as an example to others
The guidance to "inquire, probe and investigate" towns that have gone astray could be a job description for later Inquisitors!
Destruction of whole towns, to wipe out heresy.
It was much more difficult for the proponents of the Inquisition to find New Testament justification for their acts. The most often quoted New Testament verse is from John 15:
If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. John 15:6 NIV "
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/...
Good job.

The bible can be used to support any position or its opposite.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#549401 Jun 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very elementary way to put it.
God doesn't torture you or send you to Hell, you do that yourself.
God doesn't make one a meth addict, they do that to themselves.
God made you in His image. You have the power to say yes or no.
<quoted text>
You're blaming God. Why? Do you blame God for other things that might be negative?
Does God allow disease?
Does God allow the electric chair?
Does God allow us to tear apart our homes and families?
Does God allow war?
The answer is no, those things are caused by us, by sin.
<quoted text>
That "culture" is still alive and well today. More so than it was back then.
I agree RR....

Fennario

#549402 Jun 22, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
sperm spectoze fluids ... mexican chicken arena
Blind Man admires your creativity. I don't see it. What am I missing here?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Rosa_Winkel 971,736
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Nohweh 48,994
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min Rabbinical Catholic 646,711
download flip4mac wmv studio pro hd 2 cracked (Dec '12) 57 min Alii 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 281,274
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr MUQ2 44,701
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 2 hr DebraE 22
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 3 hr WasteWater 2,083
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 hr Just Think 105,632
More from around the web