“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#548846 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Don't buy in to Mark's ignorant rants.

He says the SS Nazi's where Christian because they swore to God.

With that logic, then the entire American military, including POTUS, is Christian because they too swear to God.
I'm going based on facts.
He is right, Hitler was a Christian and performed his evil deeds based on that religion.

Montreal

#548847 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>To help you understand. <-- I mean to ATTEMPT to help you understand.

RiversideRedneck wrote, "
I disagree, atheism can and does motivate a person to do things. I've seen pictures posted here of things like freeway billboards and city buses that have anti-god(atheist) propaganda on them. That was motivated by people's atheism."

How does lacking a belief in deities provide direction to do anything?

RiversideRedneck wrote, "
You've likely also heard of the atheist monument, the courthouse bench in Florida with atheist sayings and phrases on it. Was that motivated by nothing? No, it was motivated by people's atheism. "

I'm an atheist and I'm not motivated to do that.

That proves you are wrong.

Atheism is very simple. It's a lack of belief in deities. My lack of belief in deities is the same as everyone else's lack of belief in deities. If that alone can direct action, it must necessarily direct the same action for every atheist. It does not.

You are making a categorical error.

Causality in the human decision making process is complex in the extreme. You need a lot of data and analytic skills to have any hope of accurately mapping it.

If you find yourself asking, "Why do atheists do SOMETHING?", the first part of the answer might be because they have the freedom to do so. Beyond that, the motivating factors are going to be determined by the circumstances surrounding the individual atheists in question. There's a lot of correlation in atheist behavior, but pretty much all of that is due to the freedom of not having a belief in deities. Remember that atheism is the null state. We're all born lacking a belief in any deities. Adopting beliefs can provide direction. Not adopting them does not.

Neither theism or atheism provide any direction on their own, because they are just positions on one generic type of belief. Theists believe in at least one deity, while atheists don't believe in any. This distinction alone tells you almost nothing.
He won't get it.

Wonderfully written though.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#548848 Jun 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you mad?
Google Archbishop Torquemada.
He is living in his fairy tale

Montreal

#548849 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I'm talking about all of you atheists here. Every time it's mentioned that y'all have faith in your belief that deities don't exist, you all freak out and desperately try to change the word 'faith' to something else. Like Alice changed it to 'reason'
Did I ever, but to make fun of those who are disrespectful, say I believed there is no god?

Nope.

Did I say there isn't any evidence, let alone "enough evidence," to make me believe in a god?

Yes.

There's a difference, I wonder if you can understand it.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#548850 Jun 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
All except Costantine.
Constantine simply made the Bible and Paulinism the only legal form of Chrisitanity in the Roman Empire and ordered the murder of all other Christians. He was Emperor, he didn't need "God's Word". He was 'God'(at least in the Roman State relgion).
Please demonstrate some biblical support for the Crusades or the Inquisition.

Go.

Montreal

#548851 Jun 20, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>It always cracks me up when a religious person "accuses" an atheist of being religious too. Is that like saying "they are as bad as we are"?
“I always flinch in embarrassment for the believer who trots out,“Atheism is just another kind of faith,” because it’s a tacit admission that taking claims on faith is a silly thing to do. When you’ve succumbed to arguing that the opposition is just as misguided as you are, it’s time to take a step back and rethink your attitudes.”
-Amanda Marcotte

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#548852 Jun 20, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Donkey paw!
LOL , sorry that is stuck in my head now! I want to see if it has any practical application. I am guessing NO
I will get you a good quote when I am home. Just in a playful mood for now:)
Hope your day has been a good one
(T) Peace
So odd..
Bizzare how someone can throw bs. and and hate-
in one post-
and then within minutes- post to a young girl and claim he is "in a playful
mood..

Location hidden

#548853 Jun 20, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't seem to get it.
You have faith in a god.
I don't have faith in a god.
That's all it is.
You don't seem to understand that if someone has tasted chocolate covered ants and likes them, the people who haven't tried them don't hate ants.
I don't mean you hate God.

Just because a person doesn't believe in God does not mean they hate Him.

I'm saying that your disbelief in the existence of God IS your faith.

Montreal

#548854 Jun 20, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>He is a shining example, yes. LOL
Oh!
You got an account!
Hurrah!

Location hidden

#548855 Jun 20, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again.
You've ignored all the proof that Hitler was a Christian.
I'm not going over all that again.
If Hitler wasn't a Christian, then you aren't either. Neither is every other self-proclaimed Christian. They don't all act in the same exact way so you none of them are Christian.
Use that brain that your god supposedly gave you.
You're not getting it.

Hitler WAS a Christian, like some atheists that post here (boooots and mark, for example).

Montreal

#548856 Jun 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>All except Costantine.

Constantine simply made the Bible and Paulinism the only legal form of Chrisitanity in the Roman Empire and ordered the murder of all other Christians. He was Emperor, he didn't need "God's Word". He was 'God'(at least in the Roman State relgion).
Well then there.
Thinking the militant atheists represent all atheists is like thinking Constantine represents all Christians.

Location hidden

#548857 Jun 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you mad?
Google Archbishop Torquemada.
No need. He was the "Grand Inquisitor", answerable only to Isabella. His twisted views allowed him to burn Jews at the stake, of which Isabella condoned.

He was much like Obama, a puppet, a figurehead, someone to place blame (or fame) upon.

Montreal

#548858 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No.

The Catholic Church and the pope tried to stop the inquisition, but it was too politically powerful for them.

The Crusades was a religious battle between Christians and Muslims.

Neither of which were supported nt the Bible.
Nope, all supported by the bible.
It says that you should only worship that one god.
All supported by the bible.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#548859 Jun 20, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I ever, but to make fun of those who are disrespectful, say I believed there is no god?
Nope.
Did I say there isn't any evidence, let alone "enough evidence," to make me believe in a god?
Yes.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Paul Simon

Location hidden

#548860 Jun 20, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going based on facts.
He is right, Hitler was a Christian and performed his evil deeds based on that religion.
Like what?

It's not very Christian to murder 11 million people. People that are Christian, people that are Jew, ANY people.

I ask again, like what?

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#548861 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah....
Crapballs.
Der!

Just be glad you only played "find the sausage"...virtually.

The trolls here play that game all the time. Mostly it's guys pretending to be girls, but occasionally it's a butch pretending to be a guy.

Montreal

#548862 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't mean you hate God.

Just because a person doesn't believe in God does not mean they hate Him.

I'm saying that your disbelief in the existence of God IS your faith.
Once again, saying I don't believe is not saying I believe it doesn't exist.

It's just saying I don't believe in your god.

Montreal

#548863 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're not getting it.

Hitler WAS a Christian, like some atheists that post here (boooots and mark, for example).
You're not getting it.
He WAS a Christian, UNTIL the day he DIED.

Location hidden

#548864 Jun 20, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Yes.
Oh yes, RR can understand.

So instead of word games, I'll just ask you directly.

Do you believe there is a god?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#548866 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Please demonstrate some biblical support for the Crusades or the Inquisition.
Go.
What for?

Who cares?

It was Christians who carried out the Crusades and the Inquisition.

That's enough for me.

The Bible is good for rolling joints in a hotel, when one forgets the rolling papers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 min ChristineM 228,509
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min AussieBobby 260,117
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 min Johnny 3,343
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min It aint necessari... 743,262
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 21 min Lyndi 174,178
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 52 min KayMarie 544,818
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr KiMare 95,739

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE