Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#548726 Jun 20, 2013
??? eh? TMI--too much information there <cough> oy!
[QUOTE who="_-Alice-_"]< quoted text>
Wow, you know a lot about me. What colour panties am I wearing?
Guess what? I know how planets, people and animals are made. Why don't you?
Well by all means tell us writer. And we will see if it stands up under scientific scrutiny.

_-Alice-_

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#548727 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So say you.
Atheists have a hard time understanding faith in other other way than religious faith.
Not at all. I have faith that I'll still be alive tomorrow based on the evidence that has been provided to me by my brief history. It may or may not be true. Either way, I don't believe a deity plays a part in that.

_-Alice-_

Location hidden

#548728 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have Personal Messages disabled?
Your little envelope is missing.
I wanted to send you links to pictures of my junk.
Going to the scrap yard soon to sell it.
I enabled it again :)

You're not the only one who wanted me to see their junk.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#548729 Jun 20, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
You are a terrible lawyer. At least my "buffoonery" doesn't hurt anyone.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
That is only because you have no responsibility or authority. When you choose to serve as somebody's teacher, attorney, physician or in some other capacity as an advocate, you have the opportunity to make lives better or worse. If you are a stock boy, parking lot attendant, or a night watchman, you are pretty harmless. Catcher found his place in the world, and you found yours.
Skombolis wrote:
My posts on the Internet don't mess up people's lives.
Nothing you do affects any life, unless you choose to return to violent crime. That is what is meant by saying that you have no responsibility or authority. You are irrelevant.
Skombolis wrote:
Not all jobs have such a direct impact on the quality of someone's life.
And some have virtually none, like your unskilled, entry level night job. Catcher makes a difference. You don't. It doesn't even matter if you show up to work or not except to your boss, and even there, it matters only in terms of a few bucks - the amount that your labor generates in excess of share of it that he pays you.
Skombolis wrote:
It doesn't make them less important jobs although the jobs that do carry with them more responsibility in that area.
Of course it does. What do you think important means?

Catcher's job is important. People's live are significantly affected by how he performs at it. He can only be replaced by somebody with his decades of education, training, and experience.

By contrast, your work has very little value. I'll bet that you could be replaced by a teenaged drop out that could start tonight without training.

Do you see the difference yet?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#548730 Jun 20, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Well I am going to run up to 7-11 and then and stop to get some breakfast
Better you than me.

What's on the menu today - a delicious microwaved frozen breakfast burrito and a thirsty-two ouncer?

Don't forget to submit a job application and pick up a few lottery tickets while you're there.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#548731 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would God intervene? If He got in the middle of that, what else would you think that He should?
God intervened in plenty of other circumstances, according to the Bible. God also took away the free will that God supposedly grants everyone too; in one particularly abhorrent example, for the purpose of needless infanticide.

Why should God intervene? To demonstrate benevolence.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#548732 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Impossible. Atheism is clearly defined as not believing in the existence of a god or gods (deities).
Let me know if you understand this.

Lacking a belief in deities is not the same as believing that deities don't exist.

From your earlier post:

"Every time it's mentioned that y'all have faith in your belief that deities don't exist..."

Not all atheists believe that deities don't exist. Some just lack a belief in deities. It's not necessary to even consider the existence of gods.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
This rant just shows more that you atheists don't like the word "faith".
Too bad.
It's faith that I don't like, not really the word. The word is just carrying the baggage.

Faith is a mistake. I don't want my good thinking confused with that kind of poor thinking.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#548733 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Like what?
One example would be 1 Samuel. Read chapter 15. It's pretty awful.

_-Alice-_

Location hidden

#548734 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about all of you atheists here. Every time it's mentioned that y'all have faith in your belief that deities don't exist, you all freak out and desperately try to change the word 'faith' to something else. Like Alice changed it to 'reason'
I changed no words. I used both of them in my post. I'm not trying to change your belief. I'm trying to show you the difference in what you say (Atheists believe there is no God) and what I say (I do not believe in God).

It's not even a subtle difference.

Belief vs. No belief

It's fairly simple.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#548735 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about all of you atheists here. Every time it's mentioned that y'all have faith in your belief that deities don't exist, you all freak out and desperately try to change the word 'faith' to something else. Like Alice changed it to 'reason'
This probably why, and its due to the way theists and "supernaturalists" use and think of the term.

Noun: faith
1. A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny
2. Complete confidence in a person or plan etc
3. An institution to express belief in a divine power
4. Loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person

WordWeb Pro 6.6

When theists and "supernaturalists" use and think of the term, it's the 1st and 3rd definitions being referred to when, "faith", is mentioned.

But, this has been explained to you many times.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#548736 Jun 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you know a lot about me. What colour panties am I wearing?
I was kinda hoping you weren't wearing any ;)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548738 Jun 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:

So you agree that power and greed are the primary reasons for genocide and mass murder; not belief in deities or no belief in deities. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

The argument of Hitler being a Christian or not is totally irrelevant.

If he was a Christian, he did not represent Christianity very well.

In turn, if he was an atheist, he did it represent atheism very well.

He was a murdering madman-genius that knew how to woo a crowd

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548739 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:

That's not why it doesn't motivate anyone. It doesn't motivate anyone because there is no source for motivation.
Bullschmidtt, man. C'mon, get real.

The motivation for those atheists (not you, them) is the harming of religion and removal of religious icons.

If you disagree, then why would atheists spend money to put up signs on buses that say "There's probably no god"?!

_-Alice-_

Location hidden

#548740 Jun 20, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
??? eh? TMI--too much information there <cough> oy! <quoted text>Well by all means tell us writer. And we will see if it stands up under scientific scrutiny.
I'm sorry. Are you under the impression that I'm here to teach you Biology or Astronomy?

Like you said. I no here to care what you no believe or not, writer.

Or something like that.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#548741 Jun 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>What colour panties am I wearing?
.. that's a trick question, right? You're trying to fool Trifecta, huh? You don't own any panties. That's why I adore about you ..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548743 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:

You talk to "them". I don't know who the fck you're talking about, but they'd probably agree with me, not you.
I'm talking about people like these that fight tooth and nail just get to a cross removed. I think they're the "FFRP" or "FFRF".

http://www.pe.com/local-news/riverside-county...
I want religious icons removed from government property because it's embarrassing to me as an American, and because we are supposed to have a religiously neutral government. My sense of ethics and fairness dictates that I don't want the government endorsing any religion. There are theists who feel the same way.
Yup. And your atheism motivates you to feel that way. I guess you are 'one of them'...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548744 Jun 20, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. I have faith that I'll still be alive tomorrow based on the evidence that has been provided to me by my brief history. It may or may not be true. Either way, I don't believe a deity plays a part in that.
I understand. And I won't try to "convert" you. You are who you are and that's fine with me.

_-Alice-_

Location hidden

#548745 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I was kinda hoping you weren't wearing any ;)
You got me. It was a trick question.

;-p

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548746 Jun 20, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
God intervened in plenty of other circumstances, according to the Bible. God also took away the free will that God supposedly grants everyone too; in one particularly abhorrent example, for the purpose of needless infanticide.
Why should God intervene? To demonstrate benevolence.
We all already have it in us, some people just can't find it.

Your example kinda sounds a little too Nanny State for me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548747 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:

Let me know if you understand this.
Lacking a belief in deities is not the same as believing that deities don't exist.
No, I don't really understand that. What's the difference?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Liam 637,410
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 13 min Paul is dead 3,640
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 30 min Steve 44,155
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 38 min pusherman 968,777
disabled sex (Jun '14) 38 min Anon 18
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr MUQ2 28,446
Abortion is the greatest deception since Lucif... (Nov '08) 3 hr What 13,330
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 5 hr Voyeur 38,009
More from around the web