Since: Jun 13

Julian, PA

#548698 Jun 20, 2013
i love this thread

“....And Dust Blunts for All.”

Location hidden

#548699 Jun 20, 2013
Man, this thread's gotten out of hand. I saw it and wanted to respond to the question, "Why should Jesus love me?"

It's a simple answer for me. Just the fact that you care if He still loves you makes all the difference in the world. If Jesus were to choose who he loved, would he choose somebody indifferent or uncaring of Him? Would he choose those who are heavily confident in his love? I think he'd prefer the people who still wonder about it, those who see themselves unworthy of it.

Julian, PA

#548700 Jun 20, 2013
IU love you people

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#548701 Jun 20, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Because burning 6 million people in ovens is clearly mass murder. And Yeshua never condoned murdering anybody.
Explain your mythic "hell" then.

Who is gonna be in charge of that?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#548702 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That pottery shard is older than the Dead Sea scrolls.
You say "not a single thing", huh? You like being ignorant?
1' you shall not do [it], but worship the [Lord].
2' Judge the sla[ve] and the wid[ow]/ Judge the orph[an]
3'[and] the stranger.[Pl]ead for the infant / plead for the po[or and]
4' the widow. Rehabilitate [the poor] at the hands of the king.
5' Protect the po[or and] the slave /[supp]ort the stranger.
That's what was translated from the shard, prufesir.
That was "A" possible translation.
It is also similar to the Sumerian Tablet texts that are 3000 years older than the fragment you are creaming your jeans over.

You are still a clueless moron.

All the shard does is provide clues to the early history of Semitic languages (including Phoenician and Canaanite), nothing more.

It has nothing to do with Judaism what-so-ever.

The Gezer Calender (1000 BC) does a much better job as evidence of archaic Hebrew.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#548703 Jun 20, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lies are so easily disproved
Himlers words, leader of the SS:
<quoted text>
See, he even had the same attitude towards atheist as you have.
Ya, well the a actual Nazi oath was:

"I swear by God this sacred oath that to the Leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, supreme commander of the armed forces, I shall render unconditional obedience and that as a brave soldier I shall at all times be prepared to give my life for this oath."

Of which thousands of officers had a problem with for two reasons.

1. Not all of them believed in God.
2. They didn't want to swear to Hitler, they wanted to swear to their nation. Because swearing an oath to a person isn't common.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#548704 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, dude. CC posted that we ALL killed Jesus because of ALL of our sins. He never singled out atheists....
I never CC did that. I said YOU did. CC responded to YOUR post about the atheists here killing Jesus.

Are you ever not drunk as a skunk ?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#548705 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
...My comment was that the Romans killed Jesus, in that regard I was speaking literally....
You never even said "Romans killed Jesus".

Are you mentally ill or just constantly drunk ?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548706 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
How does lacking a belief in deities provide direction to do anything?
I have you the two examples already.
I'm an atheist and I'm not motivated to do that.
That proves you are wrong.
How? It proves that atheism CAN drive people to do things, as my examples showed you.

Just because atheism doesn't motivate you doesn't mean it doesn't motivate anybody...
Atheism is very simple. It's a lack of belief in deities. My lack of belief in deities is the same as everyone else's lack of belief in deities. If that alone can direct action, it must necessarily direct the same action for every atheist. It does not.
You are making a categorical error.
No I'm not.

I'm nit talking about you specifically, I'm talking about atheists in general.

Talk to the atheists that fight to get religious icons removed and tell them how much atheism doesn't motivate them.

Maybe YOU don't, and I applaud you for that, but others do.
Causality in the human decision making process is complex in the extreme. You need a lot of data and analytic skills to have any hope of accurately mapping it.
If you find yourself asking, "Why do atheists do SOMETHING?", the first part of the answer might be because they have the freedom to do so. Beyond that, the motivating factors are going to be determined by the circumstances surrounding the individual atheists in question. There's a lot of correlation in atheist behavior, but pretty much all of that is due to the freedom of not having a belief in deities. Remember that atheism is the null state. We're all born lacking a belief in any deities. Adopting beliefs can provide direction. Not adopting them does not.
Agreed. But there's a difference between an atheist that just doesn't believe and an atheist that wants everyone to not believe with him.
Neither theism or atheism provide any direction on their own, because they are just positions on one generic type of belief. Theists believe in at least one deity, while atheists don't believe in any. This distinction alone tells you almost nothing.
I don't know what you're getting at here.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#548709 Jun 20, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
A much better approach is to make fun of it.
That's what I was doing. Obviously, there is no more proof for Satan than there is for Yahweh. It's taking their own ontological arguments and turning them against itself.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#548710 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They were anti-Christian, like many of you.
You keep forgetting
It is only a fantasy

Do you like Superman?
A real helper
refuses to die
the antitheses of Jesus

San Francisco

#548711 Jun 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice. Thanks.
I have a whole Word file squirreled away of goodies like that which various people have posted. It's nice to give them an airing from time to time.

San Francisco

#548713 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They were anti-Christian, like many of you.
Um, wasn't it necessary for Jesus to be killed? Therefore, weren't the Romans and Jews doing God's will?

Had Jesus not killed himself (essentially), and lived to a nice peaceful old age, Christianity would not exist.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#548714 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm talking about all of you atheists here. Every time it's mentioned that y'all have faith in your belief that deities don't exist, you all freak out and desperately try to change the word 'faith' to something else. Like Alice changed it to 'reason'
Not all atheists claim that deities don't exist.

Atheism is the null state. Atheism requires no faith or trust.

"I'm talking about all of you atheists here."

No, you are not, because not all of the atheists here make that claim.

The only reason for you to use the word faith, in this instance, instead of trust, the more appropriate word, is to equivocate.

If someone wants to make an argument that deities don't exist, they'll use whatever words they feel are best to relate their thoughts. Muddying the waters by using the same word to describe two distinct but similar concepts isn't something a considerate person would do.

This particular example of equivocation is so ubiquitous that I will hold up every conversation I'm in where it occurs to point it out.

If trust and faith are not exactly the same thing, then they are different. If they are different, each one will be better suited in different instances. If at any time someone refuses to use the most appropriate word, the one that best fits, there must be a compelling reason for that.

If you don't understand why I don't like being associated with the word faith, I'd be glad to explain that too.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#548715 Jun 20, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
To help you understand. <-- I mean to ATTEMPT to help you understand.
<quoted text>
How does lacking a belief in deities provide direction to do anything?
<quoted text>
I'm an atheist and I'm not motivated to do that.
That proves you are wrong.
Atheism is very simple. It's a lack of belief in deities. My lack of belief in deities is the same as everyone else's lack of belief in deities. If that alone can direct action, it must necessarily direct the same action for every atheist. It does not.
You are making a categorical error.
Causality in the human decision making process is complex in the extreme. You need a lot of data and analytic skills to have any hope of accurately mapping it.
If you find yourself asking, "Why do atheists do SOMETHING?", the first part of the answer might be because they have the freedom to do so. Beyond that, the motivating factors are going to be determined by the circumstances surrounding the individual atheists in question. There's a lot of correlation in atheist behavior, but pretty much all of that is due to the freedom of not having a belief in deities. Remember that atheism is the null state. We're all born lacking a belief in any deities. Adopting beliefs can provide direction. Not adopting them does not.
Neither theism or atheism provide any direction on their own, because they are just positions on one generic type of belief. Theists believe in at least one deity, while atheists don't believe in any. This distinction alone tells you almost nothing.
Discussing with Christians is pointless as they use their own definition of words like "atheist", "truth", "Love", "Justice", "God", "Good", "good news" etc.

It only suggest you are taking them and their theories seriously. Something we should no do. It is a hilarious fantasy, lets treat it as such. Don't take it serious because they use it, to attack you. That is the bait.

In their fantasy you are a goblin and they must fight you. But we should not fight back, that only creates the impression that the fight is real. Make fun of it. No fantasy can survive laughing.

San Francisco

#548716 Jun 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Hitler executed over 11 million people. Jews, Catholics, gays, blacks, etc. Anything that wasn't his idea of a perfect human, he had executed.
Pity God stood by and allowed it all to happen. And in his name too.
I guess that's what happens when a smart guy turns his back on God, gets to power and goes nuts.

Unless God orders you to commit atrocities, of course.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#548717 Jun 20, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain your mythic "hell" then.
Who is gonna be in charge of that?
Hell is retribution, not murder. Nothing wrong with retribution, it simply means recompense or repayment.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548718 Jun 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You never even said "Romans killed Jesus".
Are you mentally ill or just constantly drunk ?
You are correct, I said "your kind of people" killed Jesus. As in; non-believers.

I just figured a perfesir would pick up what I was puttin down...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#548719 Jun 20, 2013
Mark wrote:

You keep forgetting
It is only a fantasy
"It"?

What is only a fantasy?

_-Alice-_

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#548720 Jun 20, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>You do have faith. Because there is no reasoning that this universe planets people and animals appeared from nothing. You have faith and belief that "poof" and the air was.
Science refutes that. Reason points to an Intellectual Creator.
Wow, you know a lot about me. What colour panties am I wearing?

Guess what? I know how planets, people and animals are made. Why don't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min PadMark 690,619
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 22 min Vinny Boombatz MD 42,517
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Aura Mytha 989,879
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 1 hr Trump Is USA Savior 160
HOLLYWOOD striving to delete prayer from scripts 2 hr dollars2donuts 1
Do white girls really love filipino men? In wha... (Apr '14) 3 hr Johnny 12
Why it's high time to get rid of billionaires 3 hr Johnny 59
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 4 hr Johnny 649
More from around the web