Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#546537 Jun 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, what you see in the mirror is a reflection of your face.
Left is right and right is left.
It's not the you for real, as would be captured in a picture.
Not the you other people see.
Hmm Reading your response and Alice's response, makes me realize I could take this pretty deep. Perhaps I will dwell on it a little tomorrow at work. It makes the day go faster :) My original thought was a combination of parts of each. Thanks for the response. I love this kind of stuff :)

Location hidden

#546538 Jun 13, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It never is.
The Looking Glass. Alice knows a little about that :)
A blind man can feel my face and tell that I'm Asian. He has no idea what I look like.
A deaf man can read my lips, if so trained, and feel the vibrations in my throat. He has no idea what my voice sounds like.
It's a game of perception.
Never confuse that with reality.
Nice, I like your thinking :)

Location hidden

#546539 Jun 13, 2013
Good Night All, Oops it's morning :) Thanks for the conversation. And those I wasn't in, were good to read. Pretty interesting stuff tonight.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#546540 Jun 13, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
Though I really have no interest in your nipples.
?
Noun: myth
1. A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2. A traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people.
WordWeb Pro 6.6

Yep. I'm callin' myth on that.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#546541 Jun 13, 2013
We create out own myths all our lives. The stories of our lives as we tell it to others and ourselves express who we are and what is important to us. They change as we change. They are not truth or facts but are Truths and Factual.
We simply try to be the hero, often a tragic one, in the story of our own lives.
Some need a story written for them by others it seems. I am not sure whether to feel sorry for them, or be jealous.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I enjoy discussions of this nature, and I've come to the opinion that historical fiction and myth or mythology are interchangeable terms or descriptions.
I think people place, "myth", in the context of ancient stories or events in our distant past, and those myths may be fact filled(still yet myth due to some elements).
Historical fiction is applied to relatively recent events or stories, but that historical fiction can be for all practical purposes be just as fact - less or fact filled as the most ancient myth.
I mean, just how long does it take for our collective "recent memory" or recollections concerning stories to head down the road to myth?
In some instances not too long I'd say, and in others, it seems people cling to them.
Sometimes it seems that the more fanciful or outlandish stories, we try to retain as being "possibly true", than the more believable stories.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#546544 Jun 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
....Check this out at http://www.askmen.com/money/body_and_mind_100...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
• Is someone else always to blame?
• Do you have frequent brushes with the law?
• Do you lie?
• Are you reckless?
• Do you shirk responsibility?
• Can you make long-term commitments?
• Are you manipulative?
• Are you self-centred?
Most people on the planet score 7 out of 10.

99% of alcoholics drank milk as a child therefore milk causes alcoholism.

I am sure you are aware of all the games played in the psycho-social fields.
The medical field has its share as well.
My doctor told me today that the only effective pain medication I can take is illegal in our state but that other states have medical marijuana.
Rosa Winkel

Sydney, Australia

#546547 Jun 13, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Wilderide, but since you are gay, shouldn't you be getting a therapist. Are you a priest?
How could a man in a dress help him?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#546548 Jun 14, 2013
Khatru wrote:
One of my pet hates is how Hollywood assumes we don't know our geography.
You know the sort of thing...
You're watching a film and the next scene shifts to Paris; cue a shot of the Eiffel Tower with the caption "Paris, France".
Well, I'd never have realised that Paris was in France.
As you may have suspected, geography is not taught in the public schools in America. We learned it mostly on the news and from the Department of Defense.

Isn't the Eiffel tower in Las Vegas, next to the Statue of Liberty?

Fennario

#546550 Jun 14, 2013
Mark wrote:
I realised that what I loved about Christianity most was all in Nature ... the influence. It connected me to reality. You can not connect to the "supernatural", only to the Natural.
I certainly agree with this. As you say, Christianity is anti-spiritual. That is not to say that a Christian cannot have spiritual experiences. But when they do, they have them the way that the rest of us do - by connecting with the world, as when comforting a child, or working the soil.

To do that, they must at least in part resist the dogma that teaches them to be psychologically separated from our world - the opposite of spirituality.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#546551 Jun 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Oops? Did you make a mistake?
There is a difference between type and kind. You can google it up. I'm heading to bed and don't have the time to address this at this time. And Alice, please just go to your point directly. There is no need to make an end around shot at my beliefs. You have no problem talking directly about your nipples. And I have no problem talking directly about my beliefs. Actually, I have no problem talking about either. Though I really have no interest in your nipples.
At night time I have no evidence that the sun exists. But, it does.
Have a good night Alice :)
I go about things my own way. I always have. Your participation in that process is not mandatory but it is much appreciated. I want to make that clear.

Do you play chess?

I took a walk. My nipples went with me. They just bounced around, basically being nipples. Always pointing the trail ahead, unless I turned around.

Fennario

#546552 Jun 14, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Sorry Adam, everyone already knows you are a lunatic.
With all due respect, isn't he just saying that he is convinced that homosexuality is an abomination, is terribly bothered by it, and that he expects that his god will do something about it if he has faith and prays earnestly? His faith taught him all of that.

The part that makes him a lunatic is that he seems to believe it. He really expect results, and is frustrated about not getting them.

The more mature Christians here understand like the rest of us that that isn't realistic. You've accepted that tacitly, whereas Adam still has not.

This is similar to the spirituality issue that I just addressed. You can function best in this world by being a part of it. The more literally and zealously that you embrace the doctrine, the further from healthy and content you become.

Adam, who rejects us all and everything about us, is beside himself. You, Grace and Le_Le, who seem to still have an eye on this world, and who don't see it as filth, nor see people like us as demons, are simply healthier and happier than Adam. The more they are like Adam - I'm thinking of Lawest and Counter_Strike in particular - the more they are at war with the world and more unhappy they seem.

Location hidden

#546553 Jun 14, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Skintone ?
LOL
Maybe.

They're on the Internet, somewhere.

Location hidden

#546555 Jun 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Nice, I like your thinking :)
I'm guessing that will change.

;-p

Fennario

#546556 Jun 14, 2013
Adam wrote:
I DON΄T CARE WHAT YOU DISBELIEVER THINK ABOUT ME.
And look at where that attitude has gotten you. You should care. You have separated yourself from the rest of us psychologically, and are suffering for it. You may see yourself as spiritual and having a peace that passeth all understanding, but look again.

Consider rejoining us. I know that they have taught you that it is better to die than to do that, but every religious cult teaches something similar. Jim Jones and David Koresh taught that. The violent Muslims are taught that.

Isn't it time for you to start thinking for yourself? The people you trust are not looking out for your best interests. They are looking out for their own, which is the empowerment and enrichment of the church.

Location hidden

#546557 Jun 14, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>I know....stained.
Your presence here gives me more credibility.

You do realize that, right?

I destroyed your Jesus myth and now your butt hurts? Is that it?

Anything else I can do for you?

Milk bone?

Location hidden

#546558 Jun 14, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is that you offend yourself. The rest of us simply send the medic for you twice. Nothing wrong with being Asian.
The rest of us?

Still have that gerbil in your colon?

Try a hose next time.

"Enema of the State".

:-)

Fennario

#546559 Jun 14, 2013
_Alice_ wrote:
How did Khan transport himself to Qo'noS from Earth?
Tide with Beach wrote:
That's a long way to go for sub sandwich.
"We love the subs"

Location hidden

#546560 Jun 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
"We love the subs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aZrks-BPeLQXX
Let's play "Worst Spokesperson of All Time"

Eat our Burritos. They're the shit.

Fennario

#546561 Jun 14, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Don't do that. You've taught me how to stay on track with topics, I ask you to do the same.
Don't do what? Ask you to make your case? You claimed that I took scripture out of context. I assume that you meant that in so doing, I caused the reader to get a false impression of what the writer intended. In the literal sense, any time we reproduce less than the entire bible, we are removing the part we quote from the surrounding context. That is only meaningful if it changes the apparent meaning of the words.

I pointed out to you that merely saying that something was taken out of context is an insufficient rebuttal. You need to demonstrate how the removal of some of the surrounding text misrepresents the original intent of the author.

How is that not staying on topic? That I asked you to explain yourself rather than just accept your judgment?

Fennario

#546562 Jun 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You took Matthew out of context to artificially advance your argument and I'd like to know why.
And I've asked you to show me what you mean. Show me what you think is artificial about what I did, and I will explain it to you.

What you need to do is show us what I posted, and then juxtapose it beside what I posted with whatever relevant context you think was removed restored. If you can't do that, I have nothing to say except that you haven't made your case, and that I reject your claim.

Here is the scripture that you claim has been removed from relevant context:

"I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." - Matthew 16:28

And here is an example of a pastor doing what I did: citing that scripture without including any of the rest of the chapter. Is he taking the words out of context as well? Is he misunderstanding or misrepresenting your bible as you imply I am?:
http://pastormark.tv/2012/02/16/tough-text-th...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 776,125
Scientific proof for God's existence 9 min God Truth 16
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 10 min UIDIOTRACEuMAKEWO... 5,121
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min Rick in Kansas 265,252
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 27 min KiMare 96,764
21 Dead Babies Found on Riverbank in China (Mar '10) 38 min AERT 669
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 46 min WildWeirdWillie 175,720
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 48 min June VanDerMark 559,798
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr foothillbilly 441,788
More from around the web