|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE CRAZY.
And yet I know where the Caps Lock key is.

Spooky, is it not?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You know what, man. I have NEVER looked at it that way. I've never considered the "insider" "outsider" perspective of it. And yes, I find Mormon & Catholic services to be a bit strange and uncomfortable, as well as making out or breast feeding in public. None of its "wrong", but it IS uncomfortable and unsettling a little. I give you my word that IF I pray in public from now on, nobody but God & I will know. I'll ponder this idea for a while if you don't mind.
Thank you. That answer was very impressive and much appreciated.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the part about it had to come to this, there is no other way
You have strong faith sister
(T) Peace
mmmmm We have to know our greatest weakness before we can know that strength.
“The greatest strength is gentleness”~ unknown
John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
Love always my brother... Peace is just the result! <3

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

One person sees something that is bad. And says that it is bad, offending many that do the bad.
Another person sees that same something bad. And says nothing. Gaining the praise of the many that do the bad.
Is it better to stand alone for good, or is it better to stand with the crowd for bad?
Which is better? The person who tries to do what is right, but looks foolish because they don't know what they are doing because they have more to learn.
Or, The person who does nothing even though they know what to do.
I say it is better to stand alone, offending the many, doing the best you can even if it makes you look foolish. The many are not the judge of your heart. And the judge of your heart could care less about the opinions of the many.
I say you are wrong if you think you have to eat a hot dog every day to be saved. But, if that is what you truly think, I say you should eat a hot dog every day. If you don't, you will be sinning against your self. Seek the truth and let it reveal itself to you. He will. And, I am sure all who seek him will find that they still have a lot to learn.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

_-Alice-_ wrote:
http://www.kahns.com/
And now for something completely different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
How about a moment of zen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

sorry if this doubles... topix!
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
*** SPOILER ***
How did Khan transport himself to Qo'noS from Earth?
~~smile~~
Hey Alice!
Don't know if you got these dots, but I do care and hope the hike is going well for you. <3
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

You know, I understand that this discussion, in how what is being presented from the side of religious beliefs being mythic in nature or composition, seems brusque or harsh in outlining why it is seen as that.

It isn't just an atheist view, either.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Jesus didn't have a body to mummify like King Tut it, Jesus didn't have an Empire clenched in his fist, like Kimg Tut did. Jesus had no earthly belongings, none at all. He didn't care about any of those things, He was trying to show us that they aren't important because someday you're going to die and leave this earth and you can't take anything with you.
Okay, hold on.

Everything above, is part of the mythology contained within Christianity.

You say Jesus didn't have a body to mummify. That's what the story, or myth claims or states.

No earthly belongings? Again, that is something you don't know, and it's obvious there had to be some, no matter if it was only clothes or shoes and further, it's said the Jesus! was a Rabbi, and there would have had to have been some accouterments/accessories there, it's also said he was a human, the son of a mother and father, so it's logical to think that there were some sort of belongings, etc.., there, too.

Now, here is where the interplay of myth vs. reality comes into full play.

You can dispute each thing I pointed out above, and I just did dispute what you stated earlier, and neither assertion can be determined, since there is only the religious story/biblical account - myth - to rely on.

That is the mythology > "story" > legend > or > *tale* surrounding the character.

Alexander the Great is a historical figure, but we don't accept those fantastical or supernatural aspects mentioned by Alexander and witnessed by others, as stated in the historical record, such as flying shields swooping down from the sky and attacking his troops, or years later shields coming out of the sky and blowing up portions of the walls of Tyre with beams of light.
Or do you?

Alexander was a historical figure, associated with numerous historically accurate and verified events. places and peoples, the ruler of an Empire. But, the mythology,(flying shields swooping down from the sky, omens etc..) is mythology, and the entire story surrounding Alexander the Great, is mythology or the mythos, surrounding the character. That includes the historical events, and the claimed supernatural events.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Have you ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack?
That statement is irrelevant to this conversation.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

blind man n the bleachers wrote:
One person sees something that is bad. And says that it is bad, offending many that do the bad.
Another person sees that same something bad. And says nothing. Gaining the praise of the many that do the bad.
Is it better to stand alone for good, or is it better to stand with the crowd for bad?
Which is better? The person who tries to do what is right, but looks foolish because they don't know what they are doing because they have more to learn.
Or, The person who does nothing even though they know what to do.
I say it is better to stand alone, offending the many, doing the best you can even if it makes you look foolish. The many are not the judge of your heart. And the judge of your heart could care less about the opinions of the many.
I say you are wrong if you think you have to eat a hot dog every day to be saved. But, if that is what you truly think, I say you should eat a hot dog every day. If you don't, you will be sinning against your self. Seek the truth and let it reveal itself to you. He will. And, I am sure all who seek him will find that they still have a lot to learn.
My right nipple is bigger than my left nipple.

What's up with that?

Just sayin

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

blind man n the bleachers wrote:
Obedience is better than sacrifice.
Not just hearers of the word, but doers of the word.
Faith, without works, is dead.
Hello B/man... What can you sing about this today my friend?
… meaning... as witness to the fact.
Love always and have a Peace filled night there. We are well into Friday now.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Ethnic joke time:
A photojournalist doing a piece about urban runs across a couple of African-American ladies on the streets and asks one of them for permission to shoot some photos of them, which she gives. Her girlfriend notices him adjusting his camera, and asks her friend, "What's he doing?"
"He's trying to focus."
"Bofus?"
Why does it have to be an "Ethnic joke"? Why does it have to be African-American ladies?
Sounds to me like you are racist.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
You keep expressing your opinion that Christianity is based on myth but you still haven't presented any hard-core evidence to support that opinion.
The hardcore evidence is the story, and origins, in and of themselves.

It requires nothing more than that. The story, as a whole, is the evidence, and the only evidence.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christianity is completely based on the writings of the Bible,
Right, and a large portion of the bible is unclear as to who wrote what, non recorded but claimed events, "supernatural events" and so forth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
and skeptics like you claim that all those stories were made up, or maybe exaggerated.
Some could have certainly been made up, and some were certainly exaggerated.

All hallmarks of myth.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
If the guys that wrote the Bible wanted to "invent a religion", why would they have made it so strange?
I find it no more strange than any other mythic deity claim, or other myths surrounding other events.

Do you think Davy Crockett killed a bear when he was only three?
http://edsitement.neh.gov/lesson-plan/davy-cr...

Do you think Daniel Boone "Cilled a. Bar [killed a bear] on [this] tree in the year 1760". There is another carved that reads ""D. Boon Kilt a Bar, 1803." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone#Cul...

Both figures lived.... Did they kill bears? Maybe. Are the carvings or all of the stories true? Who knows.

Myth.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why would they have only made it less than 1% filled with miracles? In fact, over 99% of the Bible is of non-miraculous events.
No, the biblical story is a linear and continuous myth or story, so, from the very first, within Genesis and the creation myth, it is a miraculous(supernatural and unverifiable) story or myth from that point forward.

100% myth.

That myth includes all components of the story that are historically, archaeologically verified, and verified by other means that can be tied to literal places, people, or events.

Still a part of the mythos.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why? If I'm gonna invent a religion, even I could do better than that.
But, no one said you invented it, nor is it claimed that the entire story is invented.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why write a fake story about the misfits that Jesus picked? Why not honorable, "God fearing" men? There was Peter, the loudmouth, John, his main competitor, Matthew, the corrupt taxman, and Thomas, the ultimate skeptic.
That isn't relevant to the discussion. You're making a claim that hinges upon what you deem should or would have been done were it true or false.

Conjecture, plain and simple.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
If I was inventing a fake religion, that's not what is write.
It's certainly a religion, any religion is a "real religion". People practice religion(S), religion(S) exist, of that there is no doubt.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The point to my rant here is this, the Bible is the basis, the starting point of Christianity, a religion you claim is based on myths. The Bible contains many stories of miracles (which I think you get the myth part from),
Again, that's not the case here. A story or myth does not have to contain one supernatural event or miracle, to be mythic.

Remember, Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone. Literal people, with mythic details ascribed to those persons.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
but is also has writings and las and rules that the average male would not have included, if they were making up a religion.
Irrelevant. What is an "average male", and how is it that you can determine what they would or wouldn't write? Conjecture.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
In some religions, heaven is filled with men having eternal sex with multiple virgins. But in the Bible there are no sexual relationships in heaven, but believers are "married" to Jesus.
When talking about themselves, most people usually leave out the bad stuff and only talk about the positive. They don't tell you about to tell about drunkenness, adultery, and murder - ESPECIALLY if you're trying to woo a new group of people to follow your make-believe, mythical religion.
See above. You are only speculating as to what you think qualifies as 'believable", or unbelievable, and what people would reject or accept.

What we do know, is that in the form it is known , some people find it believable and others don't.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The inclusion of the good and the bad in the Bible demonstrate that the biblical accounts are not just fabricated stories, NOT mere myth.
Nope, just myth, which contains elements that can be verified, and elements that can't. Some believable, others unbelievable. Some elements fabricated or borrowed from other previously existing myths, and some elements unique to that specific myth.

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Hell no, I'm just trying to make his gaydar-hating butt clinch up tight.
Try it, man. You're the gay one here, flirt with that weirdo and watch him squirm.
(It's not like he can get any worse)
Maybe if I can get over how disgusting he is.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I believe that you're referring to the definition of myth as "a traditional story, widely held but false belief". Yes? No?
<quoted text>
Thank you WordWeb Pro 6.6, but I was asking Scar.
Scar, don't give me two definitions, in this instance how are you using the word "myth"?
Because WordWeb Pro 6.6's 1st definition doesn't mean at all that a myth is false or a lie....
Both definitions apply. I include both in my usage of the word, "myth", and that is the most accurate and fully comprehensive way to do so.

The Christian mythos is represented by that definition, in both parts, and I don't need to add, alter, or detract from that in order for it to represent what it covers.

Myth.

You can ask any number of questions and within that definition and the words/descriptions used, it is applicable and accurate in what myth entails.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU PERVERTED EVIL MOCKING SPIRIT OF HOMOSEXUALITY.
<quoted text>
I COMMAND YOU TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW, IN THE NAME OF JESUS.
I didn't know I could mock an alcoholic beverage.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam, seriously, get yourself to a therapist. Or possibly a priest.
An exorcist?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you posted referenced to God, it all referenced Christianity.
''Sure it did. It referenced Christianity, it referenced your deity, it referenced the bible, it referenced the religion.

All components of the myth.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON´T CARE WHAT YOU DISBELIEVER THINK ABOUT ME.
You mean you don't care what everyone knows about you; you cray cray.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 523,361 - 523,380 of598,813
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

435 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Proxy Queen 717,187
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 min Guess whooo 114,699
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min AussieBobby 255,765
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 7 min gikoooo4 349
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min confrinting with the word 530,353
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 12 min ChromiuMan 5,184
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 17 min Buck Crick 223,311
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr The Awakener 171,520
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 8 hr aalw 110
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••