Comments
523,321 - 523,340 of 599,781 Comments Last updated 10 min ago
Adam

Köln, Germany

#546440 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam, you are NOT a healthy person.
Remember waft Jesus said, "love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”
NO COMMANDMENT GREATER.
Be nice.
Get the facts straight.love thy neighbor does not mean calling evil good. Same sex marriages and same sex activities, are evil.Sweetie

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#546441 Jun 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
When I am cataloging failed promises of the bible, I like to cite this:[3] "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." - Matthew 16:28
RiversideRedneck wrote:
How do you twist that into a failed promise? Do you assume that means nobody will physically die before the return of Jesus?
I never know if you are sincere or deliberately being dead weight when you do this.

Either way, I don't feel the need to spend a lot of energy on this kind of thing. The words speak for themselves. "Some .. will not taste death" is very different from "nobody will die."

And your comment is a diversion from the main point: a promise/prophecy was made and not kept/fulfilled.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#546442 Jun 13, 2013

I find it interesting that almost nobody that claims that something has been taken out of context follows it up with an an effort to demonstrate that fact and correct the false impression.
Let me show you what I mean.

[NO]

That's what you do when somebody actually takes you or your bible out of context - not simply make the claim.
Don't do that.

You've taught me how to stay on track with topics, I ask you to do the same.

You took Matthew out of context to artificially advance your argument and I'd like to know why.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#546443 Jun 13, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON´T CARE WHAT YOU DISBELIEVER THINK ABOUT ME.
Yes you do.(Thanks Pagan)

:-)

&fe ature=youtu.be

Fennario

#546444 Jun 13, 2013
This one was a big help recently:
[4] "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...." - Matthew 6:5-6
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The "hypocrites" in that verse were the Scribes and Pharisees that were guilty of two great faults in prayer, vain-glory and vain repetitions. This is a PERFECT example of you not understand what you're reading, taking it out of context and assuming it's a 'law' in the Bible directed at all Christians that ALL Christians must follow. You are wrong.
Here we go again. You feel no need to demonstrate that you are correct. You just proclaim that something was taken out of context as if that rebuts the comment.

Show me the removed context that shows that I have misrepresented the author's meaning by not not including it. I reviewed the entire chapter of Matthew 6 and the one before it,and found nothing to support your contention. Let me help:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Adam

Köln, Germany

#546445 Jun 13, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do.(Thanks Pagan)
:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6bMLrA_0O5IXX&feature=you tu.be
YOU ARE CRAZY.

Location hidden

#546446 Jun 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a long way to go for sub sandwich.
http://www.kahns.com/

And now for something completely different.

Location hidden

#546447 Jun 13, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE CRAZY.
And yet I know where the Caps Lock key is.

Spooky, is it not?

Fennario

#546448 Jun 13, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You know what, man. I have NEVER looked at it that way. I've never considered the "insider" "outsider" perspective of it. And yes, I find Mormon & Catholic services to be a bit strange and uncomfortable, as well as making out or breast feeding in public. None of its "wrong", but it IS uncomfortable and unsettling a little. I give you my word that IF I pray in public from now on, nobody but God & I will know. I'll ponder this idea for a while if you don't mind.
Thank you. That answer was very impressive and much appreciated.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#546449 Jun 13, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the part about it had to come to this, there is no other way
You have strong faith sister
(T) Peace
mmmmm We have to know our greatest weakness before we can know that strength.
“The greatest strength is gentleness”~ unknown
John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
Love always my brother... Peace is just the result! <3

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#546450 Jun 13, 2013
One person sees something that is bad. And says that it is bad, offending many that do the bad.
Another person sees that same something bad. And says nothing. Gaining the praise of the many that do the bad.
Is it better to stand alone for good, or is it better to stand with the crowd for bad?
Which is better? The person who tries to do what is right, but looks foolish because they don't know what they are doing because they have more to learn.
Or, The person who does nothing even though they know what to do.
I say it is better to stand alone, offending the many, doing the best you can even if it makes you look foolish. The many are not the judge of your heart. And the judge of your heart could care less about the opinions of the many.
I say you are wrong if you think you have to eat a hot dog every day to be saved. But, if that is what you truly think, I say you should eat a hot dog every day. If you don't, you will be sinning against your self. Seek the truth and let it reveal itself to you. He will. And, I am sure all who seek him will find that they still have a lot to learn.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#546451 Jun 13, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
http://www.kahns.com/
And now for something completely different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UJxTzV-RIf0XX
How about a moment of zen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#546452 Jun 13, 2013
sorry if this doubles... topix!
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
*** SPOILER ***
How did Khan transport himself to Qo'noS from Earth?
~~smile~~
Hey Alice!
Don't know if you got these dots, but I do care and hope the hike is going well for you. <3
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#546453 Jun 13, 2013
You know, I understand that this discussion, in how what is being presented from the side of religious beliefs being mythic in nature or composition, seems brusque or harsh in outlining why it is seen as that.

It isn't just an atheist view, either.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Jesus didn't have a body to mummify like King Tut it, Jesus didn't have an Empire clenched in his fist, like Kimg Tut did. Jesus had no earthly belongings, none at all. He didn't care about any of those things, He was trying to show us that they aren't important because someday you're going to die and leave this earth and you can't take anything with you.
Okay, hold on.

Everything above, is part of the mythology contained within Christianity.

You say Jesus didn't have a body to mummify. That's what the story, or myth claims or states.

No earthly belongings? Again, that is something you don't know, and it's obvious there had to be some, no matter if it was only clothes or shoes and further, it's said the Jesus! was a Rabbi, and there would have had to have been some accouterments/accessories there, it's also said he was a human, the son of a mother and father, so it's logical to think that there were some sort of belongings, etc.., there, too.

Now, here is where the interplay of myth vs. reality comes into full play.

You can dispute each thing I pointed out above, and I just did dispute what you stated earlier, and neither assertion can be determined, since there is only the religious story/biblical account - myth - to rely on.

That is the mythology > "story" > legend > or > *tale* surrounding the character.

Alexander the Great is a historical figure, but we don't accept those fantastical or supernatural aspects mentioned by Alexander and witnessed by others, as stated in the historical record, such as flying shields swooping down from the sky and attacking his troops, or years later shields coming out of the sky and blowing up portions of the walls of Tyre with beams of light.
Or do you?

Alexander was a historical figure, associated with numerous historically accurate and verified events. places and peoples, the ruler of an Empire. But, the mythology,(flying shields swooping down from the sky, omens etc..) is mythology, and the entire story surrounding Alexander the Great, is mythology or the mythos, surrounding the character. That includes the historical events, and the claimed supernatural events.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Have you ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack?
That statement is irrelevant to this conversation.

Location hidden

#546454 Jun 13, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
One person sees something that is bad. And says that it is bad, offending many that do the bad.
Another person sees that same something bad. And says nothing. Gaining the praise of the many that do the bad.
Is it better to stand alone for good, or is it better to stand with the crowd for bad?
Which is better? The person who tries to do what is right, but looks foolish because they don't know what they are doing because they have more to learn.
Or, The person who does nothing even though they know what to do.
I say it is better to stand alone, offending the many, doing the best you can even if it makes you look foolish. The many are not the judge of your heart. And the judge of your heart could care less about the opinions of the many.
I say you are wrong if you think you have to eat a hot dog every day to be saved. But, if that is what you truly think, I say you should eat a hot dog every day. If you don't, you will be sinning against your self. Seek the truth and let it reveal itself to you. He will. And, I am sure all who seek him will find that they still have a lot to learn.
My right nipple is bigger than my left nipple.

What's up with that?

Just sayin

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#546455 Jun 13, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
Obedience is better than sacrifice.
Not just hearers of the word, but doers of the word.
Faith, without works, is dead.
Hello B/man... What can you sing about this today my friend?
… meaning... as witness to the fact.
Love always and have a Peace filled night there. We are well into Friday now.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#546456 Jun 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Ethnic joke time:
A photojournalist doing a piece about urban runs across a couple of African-American ladies on the streets and asks one of them for permission to shoot some photos of them, which she gives. Her girlfriend notices him adjusting his camera, and asks her friend, "What's he doing?"
"He's trying to focus."
"Bofus?"
Why does it have to be an "Ethnic joke"? Why does it have to be African-American ladies?
Sounds to me like you are racist.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546457 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You keep expressing your opinion that Christianity is based on myth but you still haven't presented any hard-core evidence to support that opinion.
The hardcore evidence is the story, and origins, in and of themselves.

It requires nothing more than that. The story, as a whole, is the evidence, and the only evidence.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christianity is completely based on the writings of the Bible,
Right, and a large portion of the bible is unclear as to who wrote what, non recorded but claimed events, "supernatural events" and so forth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
and skeptics like you claim that all those stories were made up, or maybe exaggerated.
Some could have certainly been made up, and some were certainly exaggerated.

All hallmarks of myth.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546458 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If the guys that wrote the Bible wanted to "invent a religion", why would they have made it so strange?
I find it no more strange than any other mythic deity claim, or other myths surrounding other events.

Do you think Davy Crockett killed a bear when he was only three?
http://edsitement.neh.gov/lesson-plan/davy-cr...

Do you think Daniel Boone "Cilled a. Bar [killed a bear] on [this] tree in the year 1760". There is another carved that reads ""D. Boon Kilt a Bar, 1803." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone#Cul...

Both figures lived.... Did they kill bears? Maybe. Are the carvings or all of the stories true? Who knows.

Myth.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546459 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why would they have only made it less than 1% filled with miracles? In fact, over 99% of the Bible is of non-miraculous events.
No, the biblical story is a linear and continuous myth or story, so, from the very first, within Genesis and the creation myth, it is a miraculous(supernatural and unverifiable) story or myth from that point forward.

100% myth.

That myth includes all components of the story that are historically, archaeologically verified, and verified by other means that can be tied to literal places, people, or events.

Still a part of the mythos.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why? If I'm gonna invent a religion, even I could do better than that.
But, no one said you invented it, nor is it claimed that the entire story is invented.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why write a fake story about the misfits that Jesus picked? Why not honorable, "God fearing" men? There was Peter, the loudmouth, John, his main competitor, Matthew, the corrupt taxman, and Thomas, the ultimate skeptic.
That isn't relevant to the discussion. You're making a claim that hinges upon what you deem should or would have been done were it true or false.

Conjecture, plain and simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min well 226,240
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 6 min Remnant of 144000 38,620
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min truth 538,778
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min RiccardoFire 94,637
Ask Me A Trivia Question -- 2 -- (Mar '10) 13 min Joe Fryday 191,440
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min thewordofme 732,696
Arkansas'......'O.J.' 16 min Doctor REALITY 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min Insults Are Easier 257,832
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr Chris Clearwater 173,271
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••