Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#546456 Jun 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Ethnic joke time:
A photojournalist doing a piece about urban runs across a couple of African-American ladies on the streets and asks one of them for permission to shoot some photos of them, which she gives. Her girlfriend notices him adjusting his camera, and asks her friend, "What's he doing?"
"He's trying to focus."
"Bofus?"
Why does it have to be an "Ethnic joke"? Why does it have to be African-American ladies?
Sounds to me like you are racist.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#546457 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You keep expressing your opinion that Christianity is based on myth but you still haven't presented any hard-core evidence to support that opinion.
The hardcore evidence is the story, and origins, in and of themselves.

It requires nothing more than that. The story, as a whole, is the evidence, and the only evidence.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christianity is completely based on the writings of the Bible,
Right, and a large portion of the bible is unclear as to who wrote what, non recorded but claimed events, "supernatural events" and so forth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
and skeptics like you claim that all those stories were made up, or maybe exaggerated.
Some could have certainly been made up, and some were certainly exaggerated.

All hallmarks of myth.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546458 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If the guys that wrote the Bible wanted to "invent a religion", why would they have made it so strange?
I find it no more strange than any other mythic deity claim, or other myths surrounding other events.

Do you think Davy Crockett killed a bear when he was only three?
http://edsitement.neh.gov/lesson-plan/davy-cr...

Do you think Daniel Boone "Cilled a. Bar [killed a bear] on [this] tree in the year 1760". There is another carved that reads ""D. Boon Kilt a Bar, 1803." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone#Cul...

Both figures lived.... Did they kill bears? Maybe. Are the carvings or all of the stories true? Who knows.

Myth.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546459 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why would they have only made it less than 1% filled with miracles? In fact, over 99% of the Bible is of non-miraculous events.
No, the biblical story is a linear and continuous myth or story, so, from the very first, within Genesis and the creation myth, it is a miraculous(supernatural and unverifiable) story or myth from that point forward.

100% myth.

That myth includes all components of the story that are historically, archaeologically verified, and verified by other means that can be tied to literal places, people, or events.

Still a part of the mythos.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why? If I'm gonna invent a religion, even I could do better than that.
But, no one said you invented it, nor is it claimed that the entire story is invented.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why write a fake story about the misfits that Jesus picked? Why not honorable, "God fearing" men? There was Peter, the loudmouth, John, his main competitor, Matthew, the corrupt taxman, and Thomas, the ultimate skeptic.
That isn't relevant to the discussion. You're making a claim that hinges upon what you deem should or would have been done were it true or false.

Conjecture, plain and simple.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546460 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If I was inventing a fake religion, that's not what is write.
It's certainly a religion, any religion is a "real religion". People practice religion(S), religion(S) exist, of that there is no doubt.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The point to my rant here is this, the Bible is the basis, the starting point of Christianity, a religion you claim is based on myths. The Bible contains many stories of miracles (which I think you get the myth part from),
Again, that's not the case here. A story or myth does not have to contain one supernatural event or miracle, to be mythic.

Remember, Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone. Literal people, with mythic details ascribed to those persons.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
but is also has writings and las and rules that the average male would not have included, if they were making up a religion.
Irrelevant. What is an "average male", and how is it that you can determine what they would or wouldn't write? Conjecture.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
In some religions, heaven is filled with men having eternal sex with multiple virgins. But in the Bible there are no sexual relationships in heaven, but believers are "married" to Jesus.
When talking about themselves, most people usually leave out the bad stuff and only talk about the positive. They don't tell you about to tell about drunkenness, adultery, and murder - ESPECIALLY if you're trying to woo a new group of people to follow your make-believe, mythical religion.
See above. You are only speculating as to what you think qualifies as 'believable", or unbelievable, and what people would reject or accept.

What we do know, is that in the form it is known , some people find it believable and others don't.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The inclusion of the good and the bad in the Bible demonstrate that the biblical accounts are not just fabricated stories, NOT mere myth.
Nope, just myth, which contains elements that can be verified, and elements that can't. Some believable, others unbelievable. Some elements fabricated or borrowed from other previously existing myths, and some elements unique to that specific myth.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#546461 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Hell no, I'm just trying to make his gaydar-hating butt clinch up tight.
Try it, man. You're the gay one here, flirt with that weirdo and watch him squirm.
(It's not like he can get any worse)
Maybe if I can get over how disgusting he is.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546462 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I believe that you're referring to the definition of myth as "a traditional story, widely held but false belief". Yes? No?
<quoted text>
Thank you WordWeb Pro 6.6, but I was asking Scar.
Scar, don't give me two definitions, in this instance how are you using the word "myth"?
Because WordWeb Pro 6.6's 1st definition doesn't mean at all that a myth is false or a lie....
Both definitions apply. I include both in my usage of the word, "myth", and that is the most accurate and fully comprehensive way to do so.

The Christian mythos is represented by that definition, in both parts, and I don't need to add, alter, or detract from that in order for it to represent what it covers.

Myth.

You can ask any number of questions and within that definition and the words/descriptions used, it is applicable and accurate in what myth entails.

Montreal

#546463 Jun 13, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU PERVERTED EVIL MOCKING SPIRIT OF HOMOSEXUALITY.
<quoted text>
I COMMAND YOU TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW, IN THE NAME OF JESUS.
I didn't know I could mock an alcoholic beverage.

Montreal

#546464 Jun 13, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam, seriously, get yourself to a therapist. Or possibly a priest.
An exorcist?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#546465 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you posted referenced to God, it all referenced Christianity.
''Sure it did. It referenced Christianity, it referenced your deity, it referenced the bible, it referenced the religion.

All components of the myth.

Montreal

#546466 Jun 13, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I DON´T CARE WHAT YOU DISBELIEVER THINK ABOUT ME.
You mean you don't care what everyone knows about you; you cray cray.

Montreal

#546467 Jun 13, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE CRAZY.
Daw, he's calling us what he is!
Isn't that cute?

So how many nights do you spend a week dreaming of what I look like?
I bet you just curl your toes in delight at the image.

Montreal

#546468 Jun 13, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet I know where the Caps Lock key is.
Spooky, is it not?
Bahaha!

Alice, I love you!

(Not in that way, oh no)

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#546469 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Why would you say Christianity has nothing spiritual to offer?
The collateral damage caused by Christianity far outweighs anything spiritual it has to offer.

My opinion.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#546470 Jun 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now, that was a mouthful. Lemme ask you a few questions.
Why would you consider the sun to be a God? God is defined as the creator and ruler of the universe and the source of all morality. Do you consider the sun the be that source?
The Sun is a God, he was always considered a God. Christianity simply stole the word "God" to use it for their artificial construct. For your information "God, Gods" (German Got, Götter) is a Germanic word. Why did the christians call Jesus a "God"? To fool the Pagans.

The definition you use is simply a description of the monotheist Construct that is no God. First the Jews raised their tribal God to be the ruling God, than they demoted the other Gods to be his servants and called them angels. Then they attributed their qualities to him. This is the degeneration of Religion. It destroyed spirituality and changed it into a rationalizing book ideology.

When Christianity was created the Universe was no bigger than earth and the sky, and people saw that the Sun dominated the sky, and that it controlled all life on earth and that it produced order too, like day and Night and the seasons (crop). We could happily do without all Christians on this world but not without the Sun.

Now we know the Sun is only one of many Gods called Stars. We only have a very limited understanding of these huge beings. Could a blood cell understand a human being?

The Sun, which is one million times the Earth, which is again is trillion times you, controls all life on Earth. The slightest deviation and we would be toast, but it takes excellent loving care of us. Its love rays is what keeps us and all life alive. It is real, not a book fantasy. But more important is, it is beneficial and you can directly interact with it. Pray to Jesus and you feel nothing, but the Sun so far away, is easily felt.

And we do not have to submissive to it, obey it, be afraid of it, ask for mercy. Nothing of this slavish dehumanizing behaviour. I only give it my Love and enjoy it. The more I love it, the more I enjoy it. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Why do you assume that the presence of God is only felt when 2, 3 or more Christians gather? Is it because you've never felt the presence of God while you're alone? I have.
It is in the fable:

Matthew 18: 19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
Any many other Christians have, too. Don't simply focus in the Nazi's killing 6 million Jews, they also murdered 5 million other people, including all forms of Christians. Hitler's long term goal was to recreate the Christian belief into his own distorted image with him as the new Jesus. Why would you say Christianity has nothing spiritual to offer?
If this was an isolated thing I would agree, but it is only one event in long procession of Christian genocides. Christianity is a distorted belief, you can not distort it. Hitler gave it its "true meaning" to speak with the words of his saviour.

Location hidden

#546471 Jun 13, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello B/man... What can you sing about this today my friend?
… meaning... as witness to the fact.
Love always and have a Peace filled night there. We are well into Friday now.
Hello Peace Warrior :) Ask and you shall receive :)

Psalm 111

King James Version (KJV)

111 Praise ye the Lord. I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.

2 The works of the Lord are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.

3 His work is honourable and glorious: and his righteousness endureth for ever.

4 He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered: the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.

5 He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant.

6 He hath shewed his people the power of his works, that he may give them the heritage of the heathen.

7 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.

8 They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.

9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Have a blessed Friday :)

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#546472 Jun 13, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
sorry if this doubles... topix!
<quoted text>
~~smile~~
Hey Alice!
Don't know if you got these dots, but I do care and hope the hike is going well for you. <3
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
I sprained my ankle walking down Mt. Greylock. I'm back to crutches but this time my fake leg holds me up. Ironic, yes?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#546473 Jun 13, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be an "Ethnic joke"? Why does it have to be African-American ladies?
Sounds to me like you are racist.
Are you familiar with Ebonics?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#546474 Jun 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a moment of zen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =IMLk-POL4HwXX
My moment of zen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

I'm a little high strung.

Location hidden

#546475 Jun 13, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
My right nipple is bigger than my left nipple.
What's up with that?
Just sayin
And one eye sits slightly lower than the other. If you don't believe me look in the mirror.
What's up with that?
Just sayin :)
Oh, and I don't like pickles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Icew 777,553
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min KayMarie 560,230
REAL ENEMIES of America living among us 7 min Icew 5
Britney Spears Feat Iggy Azalea Bliss 11 min simou94 1
John Lennon was an Atheist 17 min Frog man 25
Would You Bet On Your Own Horse? 22 min Frog man 1
Minecraft Enchant Hack - How to hack minecraft ... 39 min sanderyoo 2
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr hpcaban 441,809
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr YellowPissreality 265,393
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 16 hr Freebird USA 175,775
More from around the web