Will keep you both in prayer
(T) Peace
"Great entertainment",..ah buddy?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#542403 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I know you think Googling has made you look smart but it really hasn't.
You have no grasp of what you >think< I said.

It's called comprehension.

Google has nothing to do with it.
Skombolis wrote:
You quoted from Vayikra
Right, and then I tied that to OT biblical verse within the 5 books of the Torah. If you thought I included Midrash as a component of the OT as used by Christianity, I didn't. You misunderstood.

I supplied text from the Torah, also used by Christianity in the OT.

The Midrash was merely meant to supply what Judaic thought is concerning what was stated in the Torah/OT. It doesn't change a thing, as written, within the verses supplied from Genesis, Deuteronomy etc... in meaning or import.

Do I have to say Tanakh, or specify the sections of the Jewish/Christian holy texts delineated between each? IE: "The Judaic Torah, the first 5 books of the Christian OT, the translated books of the Judaic scriptures, known as Tanakh in Judaism..."
Skombolis wrote:
Check out your own link that says
"Torah comes from the Hebrew word for "law" and refers to the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy
That is what was incorporated into Christianity
Yep.
Now you're getting it. All part of the Christian OT.
Skombolis wrote:
Do you see the book of Vayikra listed there?
Nope. Never said it was. As a matter of fact, I clearly stated the intent in supplying that from the very onset of the post.

Lets look, shall we...?
scaritual wrote:
The Midrash and its function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash , also http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic_Encycl... (1913)/Midrashim
More about slavery in the OT from Judaic Midrash halakha, "VE-eileh ha-mishpatim" (AND these are the statutes). It was a deeper explanation kept by the Rabbi's concerning OT text. An exegesis of the Torah.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

Maybe you missed that.

Then later in the post...
scaritual wrote:
Biblical verse that relate directly to the Midrash exegesis.
Genesis 17:13, Genesis 17:27, Exodus 20:10, Exodus 21:1-4, Exodus 21:7, Exodus 21:8, Exodus 21:16, Exodus 21:20-21, Exodus 21:26-27, Leviticus 19:20-22, Leviticus 25:39, Leviticus 25:44-46, Leviticus 25:48-53, Numbers 31:28-47, Deuteronomy 15:12-18, Deuteronomy 21:10-14, Deuteronomy 20:14, Deuteronomy 23:15-16, 2 Samuel 9:10
Note; Not once did I say Midrash is a part of the OT, also, I supplied NT verse, not attached to any Midrash commentary whatsoever, and there was a reason for that.

The reason is that I never stated Midrash was a part of the OT/Torah.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#542404 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
for discussion purposes, lets say the bible is 77% deity inspired. What 77%?
Even the Christians will admit that there is a man-made element in the bible, as when they discuss the various gospel writers injecting their own styles and personalities, or when the admit to miscopying and mistranslating. So the proper question isn't whether some of the bible was written by men, but whether any of it wasn't.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#542405 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Do you know the difference between Judaism and Christianity?
hahaaa... What a question.

Judaism is the parent religion of the child religion, known as Christianity?

Judaism precedes Christianity, and that is where all claims to the authenticity Christianity asserts and rests upon, springs from?

Judaism has very specific prophecy concerning the "Messiah" or "Mashiach", and the Judaic requirements were not fulfilled?

Christianity cites other portions of the OT with tortured, massaged and tweaked interpretations as Messianic prophecies while ignoring other specific and unfulfilled Judaic prophecies?

Judaism for Jews, Christianity for Gentiles?

Need I go on?

You know there is a reason why Judaism rejected the Messianic/Jesus! claims of Christianity, and it isn't because Jews were/are stubborn.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#542406 Jun 1, 2013
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/banana...
scaritual wrote:
wtf...? How'd he get my watering can?
Doggie style.
mike

AOL

#542407 Jun 1, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
It must be great to have one Chris... I didn't know grandparents. but join with you there for your comfort. We are at that stage with my husband's Mum... God Bless and take Care over there.
This is a great place for pretending?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#542408 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Do you know the difference between Mosaic Law and the New Testament?
Yeah. There are numerous differences.

Here's the point.

The Jesus! followed that law and according to your belief, the Jesus! dictated those slavery requirements to Moses, or at the least, the Yahweh!, did(that cRaZy *triune* gig).

Christians don't follow Mosaic law, and again, we weren't discussing Mosaic law or debating if Mosaic law applied to Christians, or the NT.

You asked where in the bible it condoned slavery.

It's already established that Christianity, by and large, accepts or rejects any portion of the OT/NT, as they see fit. There is no clear cut reason why, except to say that you do.

Just so you know what we were discussing, I'll supply what you asked in the earlier post, to which I responded.

Skombolis wrote:
Where in the Bible does it condone slavery?
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... #

I supplied where in the bible slavery was condoned(per the deity), and supplied what Judaic Midrash also stated concerning the Torah portion(it's their book, after all, they are the authorities concerning its meaning).

I thought you actually read and understood what was presented. I never presented the Midrash as a part of the OT, as I've clearly shown you. I don't see how you couldn't understand that.
Skombolis wrote:
You don't. It's obvious you don't.
Yeah, well, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Skombolis wrote:
And all the Googling doesn't seem capable of changing that.
Riiight, because, if you can't understand that utilizing Google as a tool to support an argument or position by supplying links to relevant source, thereby eliminating the - "I say it does!" <> "I say it doesn't!" - component of online discussion, you'll never get it.
Skombolis wrote:
But I would suggest you continue till you get it right
"Getting it right", means you have to read and grasp what is said, and that you can't supply your own spin as to what you >think< it means.

You're always wrong when you do this.

I think if you learned to grasp what was written, to you and in other areas, we wouldn't be having this obvious blunder in misunderstanding you made concerning the entire exchange.

I've forgotten just how detailed I must be when discussing a subject with you.

It's like pulling teeth from a rabid 'possum.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#542409 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You have no grasp of what you >think< I said.
It's called comprehension.
Google has nothing to do with it.
<quoted text> Right, and then I tied that to OT biblical verse within the 5 books of the Torah. If you thought I included Midrash as a component of the OT as used by Christianity, I didn't. You misunderstood.
I supplied text from the Torah, also used by Christianity in the OT.
The Midrash was merely meant to supply what Judaic thought is concerning what was stated in the Torah/OT. It doesn't change a thing, as written, within the verses supplied from Genesis, Deuteronomy etc... in meaning or import.
Do I have to say Tanakh, or specify the sections of the Jewish/Christian holy texts delineated between each? IE: "The Judaic Torah, the first 5 books of the Christian OT, the translated books of the Judaic scriptures, known as Tanakh in Judaism..."
<quoted text> Yep.
Now you're getting it. All part of the Christian OT.
<quoted text>Nope. Never said it was. As a matter of fact, I clearly stated the intent in supplying that from the very onset of the post.
Lets look, shall we...?
<quoted text> http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Maybe you missed that.
Then later in the post...
<quoted text>
Note; Not once did I say Midrash is a part of the OT, also, I supplied NT verse, not attached to any Midrash commentary whatsoever, and there was a reason for that.
The reason is that I never stated Midrash was a part of the OT/Torah.
so you intentionally quoted a verse from the Jewish orthodox bible to me that has nothing to do with Christianity and then are trying to tie that into Mosaic law which Christianity is not under today? Um...ok

Location hidden

#542410 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> hahaaa... What a question.
Judaism is the parent religion of the child religion, known as Christianity?
Judaism precedes Christianity, and that is where all claims to the authenticity Christianity asserts and rests upon, springs from?
Judaism has very specific prophecy conc
erning the "Messiah" or "Mashiach", and the Judaic requirements were not fulfilled?
Christianity cites other portions of the OT with tortured, massaged and tweaked interpretations as Messianic prophecies while ignoring other specific and unfulfilled Judaic prophecies?
Judaism for Jews, Christianity for Gentiles?
Need I go on?
You know there is a reason why Judaism rejected the Messianic/Jesus! claims of Christianity, and it isn't because Jews were/are stubborn.
no need.to go on, it appears you have Googled enough! Now you should understand why it made no sense to quote verses to me that have nothing to do with Christianity. You got a little Google-happy and got ahead if yourself. It would seem you are caught up now!
mike

AOL

#542411 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I really didn't know grandparents either
One was murdered before I was born and the other on that side tried her best but there were a lot of other factors for why it was difficult to see her. The ones on the other side, well their idea of being grandparents was apparently putting a check in the mail on birthdays and Christmas.
I didn't know i was missing anything so it never was a factor. But I see the impact my parents have with my God-child (nephew) and that he has on them. I hope they remain close till my parents die. Him being in their lives has done wonders for their mental health and even coping with physical ailments. And they really are teaching him a lot as far as values and manners and morals. Not suggesting my brother and his wife aren't great parents because they are. But they run their own business and to keep it successful in this economy requires a LOT if time. I personally don't see how people raise kids in the first place on their own but grandparents have so much more time with no distractions to give. It has to be a huge help.
Anyway, point is I think it is cool to see people close to their grandparents and there for them at the end. I was around a lot for my dad's sake when his parents passed but it felt like going through the motions on I wasn't close with either one and even that seemed to mean a lot to them. I would have to imagine that is multiplied a thousand fold for grandparents that were always close with their grandkids. I am sure Christ being around is a source of tremendous comfort for his grandmother
(T) Peace
Senseless drama?...what is the meaning of it?

That's right,...entertainment!

Location hidden

#542412 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah. There are numerous differences.
Here's the point.
The Jesus! followed that law and according to your belief, the Jesus! dictated those slavery requirements to Moses, or at the least, the Yahweh!, did(that cRaZy *triune* gig).
Christians don't follow Mosaic law, and again, we weren't discussing Mosaic law or debating if Mosaic law applied to Christians, or the NT.
You asked where in the bible it condoned slavery.
It's already established that Christianity, by and large, accepts or rejects any portion of the OT/NT, as they see fit. There is no clear cut reason why, except to say that you do.
Just so you know what we were discussing, I'll supply what you asked in the earlier post, to which I responded.
Skombolis wrote:
I supplied where in the bible slavery was condoned(per the deity), and supplied what Judaic Midrash also stated concerning the Torah portion(it's their book, after all, they are the authorities concerning its meaning).
I thought you actually read and understood what was presented. I never presented the Midrash as a part of the OT, as I've clearly shown you. I don't see how you couldn't understand that.
<quoted text>
Yeah, well, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
<quoted text>Riiight, because, if you can't understand that utilizing Google as a tool to support an argument or position by supplying links to relevant source, thereby eliminating the - "I say it does!" <> "I say it doesn't!" - component of online discussion, you'll never get it.
<quoted text> "Getting it right", means you have to read and grasp what is said, and that you can't supply your own spin as to what you >think< it means.
You're always wrong when you do this.
I think if you learned to grasp what was written, to you and in other areas, we wouldn't be having this obvious blunder in misunderstanding you made concerning the entire exchange.
I've forgotten just how detailed I must be when discussing a subject with you.
It's like pulling teeth from a rabid 'possum.
LOL that's a lot of words to say nothing. When you have verses from the Christian Bible condoning slavery let me know. Not your assumption or leap in logic that discussing a practice of the time is condoning it but something actually condoning it. Please use the NT as well since we are not under Mosaic Law. Picking and choosing would imply taking some and not others. If its in the NT we follow it. If you want to sidetrack into some general theological debate about man trying to judge the morality of God you will have to find someone else. I specifically addressed slavery and still have seen nothing showing it is condoned. I'm pretty open about what's in the Bible. If something is there that I didn't know I will say so. Just show me the verses

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#542413 Jun 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the Christians will admit that there is a man-made element in the bible, as when they discuss the various gospel writers injecting their own styles and personalities, or when the admit to miscopying and mistranslating. So the proper question isn't whether some of the bible was written by men, but whether any of it wasn't.
Yeah, that's pretty much admitted to universally by Christians, that the bible has some "creative writing".

It's all conjecture when it gets down to what Christians believe or attribute to the deity influence or actions or text. One sect or denomination believe one thing, another repudiates what the others believe, while others try to follow every single bit they can. Some drop entire books. Then some just began adding to the bible later on. American Aboriginals are the 'lost tribe"...

It's crazy sauce.

I mean, maybe the Jesus! moon walked on water.

Christianity at large has began to rethink the entire "world wide deluge" concept as being an overwhelmed mans perception of a localized flood...

So, um...

What's next?

"Moses farted the Red Sea and led the ...."

"Jesus! cried on the cross"

Location hidden

#542414 Jun 1, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Senseless drama?...what is the meaning of it?
That's right,...entertainment!
i apologize Mike. I forgot how much positive human emotion creeps you out! Things like concern or empathy or even simple bonding through shared personal experience really bothers you and I should have been more sensitive to your inability to care about anyone other than yourself. Oh wait I can't take how you feel into consideration as that has nothing to do with me! Dang...you got me between a rock and a hard place! I know your normal M.O. would be to claim Chris is lying about his grandmother being close to death and to mock people who mourn the loss of a loved one. Should I consider this progress that you at least believe he has a grandmother and that older people are commonly in poorer health since people do die? Hey at this rate in a few hundred years you might be able to muster up some compassion for someone other than yourself!

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#542415 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>so you intentionally quoted a verse from the Jewish orthodox bible to me that has nothing to do with Christianity and then are trying to tie that into Mosaic law which Christianity is not under today? Um...ok
You still aren't getting it.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#542416 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>no need.to go on, it appears you have Googled enough! Now you should understand why it made no sense to quote verses to me that have nothing to do with Christianity. You got a little Google-happy and got ahead if yourself. It would seem you are caught up now!
Hold on, this is what was being discussed, again. Read this.

Skombolis wrote:

I supplied that.

Show where I didn't.

Location hidden

#542417 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You still aren't getting it.
No I get it. I said the Bible (meaning the Christian Bible obviously) doesn't condone slavery. In an effort to disprove that statement you quoted from the Vayikra in the Jewish Orthodox Bible.

I don't know what else there is to say about that

If you have verses you want to discuss from the Christian Bible then please post those verses.

Location hidden

#542418 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold on, this is what was being discussed, again. Read this.
Skombolis wrote:
I supplied that.
Show where I didn't.
I see no reason to prove a negative

Like I keep saying, please post the exact verses from the Christian Bible that condone slavery

Not some round-about attempt to make some Vayikra midrash connection to Mosaic Law and apparently claim that makes them synonymous.

It is a pretty simple request. If there are verses in the Christian Bible that condone slavery, let me know which verses so I can see for myself

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#542419 Jun 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL that's a lot of words to say nothing. When you have verses from the Christian Bible condoning slavery let me know. Not your assumption or leap in logic that discussing a practice of the time is condoning it but something actually condoning it. Please use the NT as well since we are not under Mosaic Law. Picking and choosing would imply taking some and not others. If its in the NT we follow it. If you want to sidetrack into some general theological debate about man trying to judge the morality of God you will have to find someone else. I specifically addressed slavery and still have seen nothing showing it is condoned. I'm pretty open about what's in the Bible. If something is there that I didn't know I will say so. Just show me the verses
You said:
Skombolis wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

Do you even understand what you said?

Have you suddenly decided to drop the OT? The OT is no longer a part of the Christian bible?

The verses I supplied from the OT only spoke to where in the bible slavery was condoned, which is what you asked for.

Skombolis wrote: Where in the Bible does it condone slavery?

You've suddenly introduced mosaic law into the discussion, as if that was what we were discussing from the first.

We weren't.

I answered your request.

Location hidden

#542421 Jun 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You said:
<quoted text> http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Do you even understand what you said?
Have you suddenly decided to drop the OT? The OT is no longer a part of the Christian bible?
The verses I supplied from the OT only spoke to where in the bible slavery was condoned, which is what you asked for.
Skombolis wrote: Where in the Bible does it condone slavery?
You've suddenly introduced mosaic law into the discussion, as if that was what we were discussing from the first.
We weren't.
I answered your request.
No what you did is post a article that made mention of others verses in which slavery is mentioned

I want to see where it is condoned

And yes we are not under Mosaic law but we can get to that later

For now I simply want to see what verses in the Christian Bible condone slavery. You can use both OT and NT if you wish. Obviously we are not under the OT but for the sake of showing whether it was ever condoned then the OT would be relevant for that purpose

Please post the verses where slavery is condoned. The actual words if you don't mind and then book and verse number

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#542422 Jun 1, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please understand. Everything you say here is public and I'm taking notes. I have been for 3 years. Not just you but EVERYBODY.
You are a big part of my master's thesis.
Your "master's thesis".

Are you going to title it "How I obsess about people posting on Topix"?

Sounds like something a junior high student would do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ORTAKÖY- ULUS – BOSCH - ( 342 OO 24 ) BOSCH ORT... 2 min natcansr 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 min 15th Dalai Lama 3,997
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min June VanDerMark 589,180
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 6 min Raja123 7,152
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Stilgar Fifrawi 836,666
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 12 min KatGee 341
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 24 min andet1987 1,831
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 49 min Lyndi 176,743
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Porkpie Hat 271,236
More from around the web