Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#541778 May 31, 2013
Something I came across this morning, regarding the hate here toward atheists. Some christians regard them as sick, broken people. Instead of directing hate toward atheists, shouldn't we be doing whatever we can to love them? Shouldn't we spend time in meaningful conversations with them?!

Matthew 9:12-13 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means:'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

I'm not going to say that someone who is atheist, or homosexual, or of a different religious belief is a sick person because they are not, in my opinion. It's the obvious opinion of some others here, though, that they are. And even if the belief is held that they are "sick" or not righteous, shouldn't we, as christians be showing mercy and compassion and not hate?

Shouldn't we be living out lives in a way that others will see our happiness, and say "I want that. How can I get it?"?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#541781 May 31, 2013
Desire.

The word desire is used by the kjv in much the same way as we use the word today.It refers to a strong wanting or craving for something.desire for success.In one instance among more than two hundred in the kjv however desire has a rare old connotations of regret.Second Chronicles 21:18-20 records the death of Jehoram smitten in the bowels with an incurabel disease,in punishment for his evil ways and his infidelity to the Lord.Thirty and two years old was he when he began to reign and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years and departed without being desired.The nrsv,rsv,and nasb read he departed with no one's regret.This is a passage in which the kjv translators showed their sound literary judgment.The preceding English versions had failed to grasp the meaning of the last clause.The Geneva Bible translated it and lived without being desired Coverdale,and walked not well,Matthew Bible and he walked not pleasantly the Great Bible and the Bishops Bible and lived wretchedly.
Huh

Garland, TX

#541782 May 31, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text> a Gay Christian is a like a UFO. There are claims that they exist, but once those cases are investigated, the sighting was false. I concede though that does not mean they don't exist.
Marcus Bachman, Ted Haggard. Larry Craig, Heorge Rekers...the list is endless.
Huh

Garland, TX

#541783 May 31, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Are you comparing being born Gay with Cancer? what does being left or right hand or does a infant love its mother have to do with your argument?? it's natural for a baby to love it's mother. you see that in the animal kingdom. you can tell probably within 1yr if a baby is left handed or not, what's your point? <quoted text>So because he is not a Christian he is not mellow and logical??? LOL. Maybe he challenged you because [your] position isn't logical, ever think of that?
Do you have any knowledge of fetal development? Are you cognizant that even with chromosomal selection, all babies begin female and sexual organ development is only based on the amount of androgen present in the mother? Do you know how hermaphrodites develop? Are you cognizant that a child can be born with male organs but with the mind of a female due to such development? Do you realize only your culturally-conditioned prejudice makes you hate things that are different? Do you realize Chjristianity is a divisive force in society?
Huh

Garland, TX

#541784 May 31, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Desire.
The word desire is used by the kjv in much the same way as we use the word today.It refers to a strong wanting or craving for something.desire for success.In one instance among more than two hundred in the kjv however desire has a rare old connotations of regret.Second Chronicles 21:18-20 records the death of Jehoram smitten in the bowels with an incurabel disease,in punishment for his evil ways and his infidelity to the Lord.Thirty and two years old was he when he began to reign and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years and departed without being desired.The nrsv,rsv,and nasb read he departed with no one's regret.This is a passage in which the kjv translators showed their sound literary judgment.The preceding English versions had failed to grasp the meaning of the last clause.The Geneva Bible translated it and lived without being desired Coverdale,and walked not well,Matthew Bible and he walked not pleasantly the Great Bible and the Bishops Bible and lived wretchedly.
You desire the end of the world so your ego can live forever. You're disgusting.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#541785 May 31, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Marcus Bachman, Ted Haggard. Larry Craig, Heorge Rekers...the list is endless.
where did they say they are a homosexual? because they had sex occasionally with a man? so any woman that have had sex a few times with a woman she is automatically a lesbian??

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#541786 May 31, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
They're not gay goddamn it!
....they just occasionally have sex with men.
And like it too.

Montreal

#541787 May 31, 2013
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
May I interject something here? My view on prayer is that even if it doesn't effect the external, it changes a person from the inside if the prayer is in earnest. It speaks to that person's subconscious. Prayer and talking to God can change a person's internal map of the world, and therefore increase the quality of life of the person who does the praying. Some may call it the placebo effect, but I would rather just enjoy how it's changed my life for the better than put a label on it.
I was thinking more along the lines of an external source doing something for you when you pray.
It doesn't happen.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#541788 May 31, 2013
You just chatting hot air. Show the evidence that someone is born Un-naturally attracted to the same sex.
[QUOTE who="Huh"]<quoted text>Do you have any knowledge of fetal development? Are you cognizant that even with chromosomal selection, all babies begin female and sexual organ development is only based on the amount of androgen present in the mother? Do you know how hermaphrodites develop? Are you cognizant that a child can be born with male organs but with the mind of a female due to such development? Do you realize only your culturally-conditioned prejudice makes you hate things that are different? Do you realize Chjristianity is a divisive force in society?
Divisive? good. Something in society needs to be. You thought Christianity was ice cream and cake and everything nice?

Montreal

#541789 May 31, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
You´ve been very very naughty miss Lasez.
You keep referring to me as a woman.
You're pretty weird if the only way you can think of another man is as a woman.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#541790 May 31, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>where did they say they are a homosexual? because they had sex occasionally with a man? so any woman that have had sex a few times with a woman she is automatically a lesbian??
The proper term is bisexual. A person who is both heterosexual and a homosexual.

Some people are carnivores, some are vegetarians, most are omnivores.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#541791 May 31, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The proper term is bisexual. A person who is both heterosexual and a homosexual.
Some people are carnivores, some are vegetarians, most are omnivores.
no argument there.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#541792 May 31, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, we'll work on getting our stories straight at our regularly scheduled weekly meeting.
Remember, group members: 7 p.m. tomorrow at the usual place.
There he goes again!

I am paranoid about something I never brought up and couldn't care less about!

And of course not one word in response to the actual post or any explanation on why someone who criticizes the faith now would call on people to be better Christians or why my response must have been peaceful

You are like some sort of mega-genius when it comes to lawyering huh Catcher? What I can't figure out if how you have any time to play on the Internet let alone all day every day. I mean you have Johnny Cochran's famous "if it doesn't fit you must acquit". Your catch phrases of "you're weird" and "DUDE" are gonna be just as famous some day, you wait and see

~snicker

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

#541793 May 31, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
gays think that they're experts on sexual issues. but truth be told, they're no more experts on sex than alcoholics are about drinking responsibly!
That is your opinion wasup. I don't understand homosexuality, but I won't share your opinion either.

I like women.
~eu-la-la~
I prefer to leave the homosexual in peace, and ask the same of them.
Shit ...I always thought don't ask-don't tell was a good plan.
Show's ya how much I know.
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#541794 May 31, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Thanks for putting so many words in my mouth.
You learned much from the Christians.
Let me know when you wish to have an honest debate.
<quoted text>
I just reacted to the things you utter and the picture this creates with me. Sure this may be different than how you see yourself. In psychology this discrepancy is well known. Our self image never is the same as the image others have of us.

But since you did not want to point out where I misread you, there is no basis of discussion. It is just an angry reaction of someone's ego who feels hurt.

Religious discussion leads to personal arguments so easily. the religious ideas people have are deeply connected to their own ego. If you attack their ideas, they feel humiliated. That is why religious discussion achieves nothing unless you come to learn. I am very interested in all the ideas I read, yours too. Your crusade against Paul is interesting and made me think a lot. You do not seem to realize that Paul himself is as an elusive figure as Jesus and his disciples. Did he really exist? Or was he the character the Romans needed to mix gnostic ideas into the story,

We have no original texts, not one!. That is very telling. All the oldest texts are from after Nicea. They are only claimed to be copies. I am sure the texts are based on earlier texts, but they only took the parts that conformed to the new ideology. The original texts likely contained lots of ideas that they wanted forgotten, so they destroyed them.

Is this conspiracy thinking? No Christianity has a long tradition of burning anything that does not fit her bill, and the early church fathers have been caught lying. Too seek truth in this is like seeking a healthy meal on a garbage dump. Everything we read is so many times reprocessed the origins are hardly recognizable. And the Jews did exactly the same, their Torah is as much a patchwork and made out of pieces they picked up during their stays among other nations.

We may see that as lies, but the people who did it often saw it as inspired creation. All we can do is walk this dump site and say. this here is clearly a peace of Plato, this piece seems from that cult. These words of Jesus are clearly Caesar's. But even then, it may well be that Caesar stole these words from someone else he admired. There is no truth to be found here.

If we want spiritual truth we should look to specific wise men preferably alive. Because you have the same problem with other religions. Did Mohamed really exist as a founder of Islam. Or did the Arabic empire create her own religious and worldly founder. Because that seems to have been a normal practice. The Romans did the same thing, the Chinese have their mythological emperor. But did such superman really exist?

Especially since objective history is only a recent invention and probably a fallacy herself. In the past history was simply what people liked to believe about their ancestors. And it still is, the Americans still want to believe that in the Mexican war, Mexico invaded the USA. And that they were never a colonizer even if they ruthlessly killed hundreds of thousands of Philippine people. It will never enter the schoolbooks, it is not what they want to believe. And they want to believe the invasion in Iraq and Afghanistan are peace missions. How can the view of the past be objective if we romantically colour the present?

Scripture is for the most part the Romantic dreams of people. The most truthful of religious writings are MYTHS. Or as Campbell says: MYTH is not how it was, but how it is. Myth tries to present a timeless wisdom. It is purposely not literal, but uses allegories and symbolism in stead. It uses poetry to get above the literal thinking. It taps in the psyche of the human mind. It has no single explanation, because our reality itself is subtle and multifaceted. The Greek poets were trying to understand their Gods rather than obeying them. For them they were principles of Nature.

Location hidden

#541795 May 31, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think that that would be a relevant factor even if were the case? Christianity is a choice? Does that justify scapegoating Christians?
WOW, the irony is just too much

You and HL and most of your buddies seem to think so

Now you wanna cry about it when the shoe is on the other foot

If scapegoating and stereotyping and judging millions of people you have never met is such a problem based on a choice they made or something to do with them personally that has nothing to do with you, then why do you guys do it every day?

Buncha hypocrites

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#541796 May 31, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. where are you going with this ??..
If G is correct in that, "A person is not born with ANY sexual preference. Sexual desires do not develop until later in life.", it would have to be the same for both heterosexuals as well as homosexuals. Would it not?

I thought you were agreeing with G.

I don't know. I've always liked girls.

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#541797 May 31, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Are you comparing being born Gay with Cancer? what does being left or right hand or does a infant love its mother have to do with your argument?? it's natural for a baby to love it's mother. you see that in the animal kingdom. you can tell probably within 1yr if a baby is left handed or not, what's your point? <quoted text>So because he is not a Christian he is not mellow and logical??? LOL. Maybe he challenged you because [your] position isn't logical, ever think of that?
I wasn't challenging anyone.
And the statement G made isn't the first time I ever heard it.

Location hidden

#541798 May 31, 2013
scambuster wrote:
Something I came across this morning, regarding the hate here toward atheists. Some christians regard them as sick, broken people. Instead of directing hate toward atheists, shouldn't we be doing whatever we can to love them? Shouldn't we spend time in meaningful conversations with them?!
Matthew 9:12-13 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means:'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
I'm not going to say that someone who is atheist, or homosexual, or of a different religious belief is a sick person because they are not, in my opinion. It's the obvious opinion of some others here, though, that they are. And even if the belief is held that they are "sick" or not righteous, shouldn't we, as christians be showing mercy and compassion and not hate?
Shouldn't we be living out lives in a way that others will see our happiness, and say "I want that. How can I get it?"?
That sounds like a good plan except you aren't going to convince bigots they want anything more than more bigotry and more bigots for their "crusade"

You are talking about people who have made up their own constitution and their own imaginary social demographic and whose goal is to see Christianity wiped out or in leau of that confined to one's home or church. People in their "America" would no longer have first amendment rights or freedom of religious expression

When people do act loving they ridicule it as being fake. When they don't act loving they claim the person isn't being a good Christian even though they think being a Christian makes someone immoral. It doesn't even follow logic.

Jesus rebuked people. He corrected them. He also said dust off your sandals. The Bible says expel the wicked from among you. Granted that was about those in the church refusing to change their sinful ways when it came to sexual immorality but the point is having certain people around is cancerous to the group. Having bigots set up shop here doesn't bring anything positive to the table. And they don't even love themselves. Look at how they spend every day and the lengths they will go to in order to not face anything about themselves that may be unpleasant or the rationalizations they come up with to justify their actions and their bigotry.These are people who find the real them repulsive so they have to lie about who they are, even to themselves.

Don't get me wrong, in general you make an excellent point. But here all it would be is used for an excuse to try to treat people like doormats and it won't have any positive effect on bigots dead set against the faith

JMO

(T) Peace

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#541799 May 31, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
I just reacted to the things you utter and the picture this creates with me......
WOW!

That is the exact thing the Christians do with the Bible!

Congratulations, you are as ignorant as a they are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min Trump is a joke 36,560
Why is Mahattan Johnny a gay trucker 6 min Paul McCartney is... 8
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 49 min Tony 6,543
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 54 min Aerobatty 988,421
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 57 min waaasssuuup 688,609
How did black people get here ( economically) 11 hr RFD 64
What was the Vegas mass murderer's REAL problem? 12 hr RFD 18
More from around the web