Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#540044 May 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you believe it?
This guy, and his cohort, should turn in their membership cards to the human race.
They snuck into the gene pool when the lifeguard was checking out the hot chick's tramp stamp.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#540046 May 26, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
They snuck into the gene pool when the lifeguard was checking out the hot chick's tramp stamp.
You are a very perspicacious person, River.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#540047 May 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, you shouldn't start a dimwit file.
You're right. It wouldn't be interesting.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You shouldn't have ANY files for Topix folks. That's a bit excessive and OCD-ish, man.
Not for me. Information filing and retrieval come pretty effortlessly.

Fennario

#540048 May 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Most churches do "behave like a good neighbor".
Not really.

They teach the neighborhood some pretty undesirable things such as to hate gays and atheists, or to reject evidence for faith, and they don't pay their fair share of taxes. I blame the churches for persuading so many people to vote for Bush in 2000 and 2004, something America won't recover from in my lifetime.

Besides, you already know that I don't care about individual congregations and denominations. I am referring to the collective.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You'd have to pick through all 400,000 of them in America and decide which ones aren't. Have fun with that, I got better things to do.
That's just it: I don't care about or spending time on that that any more than you do.

Location hidden

#540049 May 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a very perspicacious person, River.
Show off. IANS already gave me a well deserved lecture on the difference between perspicuity and perspicacity.

I'm a lump of clay wrapped around shards of broken glass. Mold me at your own risk :)

Fennario

#540050 May 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
For starters, church pulpits are not the only soapbox. Don't forget satellite TV. Robertson and Falwell were two of the chief offenders, and neither was giving a sermon in a church. If the message is audible to all Christians and defines societal values, why does it matter how many voices are delivering it?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Too bad you can't silence them, huh? That is, unless you can get that pesky little Constitution changed and take away freedom of speech and freedom of religion.
We aren't looking to silence them by force or law. Shrinking the church and shaming the remnant will do the trick quite nicely.

Don't be concerned. It won't affect your ability to worship at all, and you have no right to any other religious freedom. You will also have the right to express those opinions if you can find anybody that is willing to hear them without chastising or ridiculing you for it. Isn't that enough?

Oh, and Falwell has been silenced by death, and his legacy shamed. Here's Bill Maher delivering an epitaph on television:

"And Finally, New Rule....Death isn't always sad.(smirking, thunderous applause) This week the reverend Jerry Falwell died and millions of Americans asked why? why God? Why didn't you take Pat Robertson with him?(laughing, clapping).

"I don't want to say that Jerry was disliked by the Gay community, but tonight in NYC at exactly 8 O'clock, Broadway theatres along the great white way for 2 minutes turned their lights up.

"Now, I know that you're not supposed to speak ill of the dead but I think we can make an exception because speaking ill of the dead was kind of Jerry Falwell's hobby. He was the guy who said that AIDS was God's punishment for homosexuality and that 9/11 was brought on by pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays and the ACLU, or as I like to call them – my studio audience (wild clapping and screaming).

"But I found it surreal this week watching people on the news praise Falwell, followed by a clip package of what he actually said. Things like homosexuals are part of a vile and satanic system that will be utterly annihilated. If you're not a born again Christian you're a failure as a human being. Feminists just need a man around the house. There is no separation of church and state. And of course, everyone's favorite - the purple Teletubby is gay.

"Jerry Falwell found out that you could launder your hate through the cover of God's will. He didn't hate gays. God does. All Jerry Falwell's power came from name dropping God."

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#540051 May 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Good afternoon Khatru..
You never know until you ask, so I am asking...Please explain what this "strawman" thing is. I have heard a lot of atheist say this and I was wondering what it was supposed to mean. I am asking in a sincere way...I am just curious. Have a great day.
Hi Grace

No problem....

If you make a man from straw it is very easy to knock him down. Not so a real man.

The metaphor exists in the term "strawman argument"

In the context of an argument it is when someone, ostensibly, defeats an argument.

However, the argument they have defeated is a superficial one which they themselves have created by changing the original statement.

Fennario

#540052 May 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. Here's a few things where the Catholic Church (and JUST the Catholic Church) has made the world a better and brighter place are:
Relief from the Barbarian invasions of the early middle ages
Rescued Christian and pre-christian literature
Spread agricultural and animal husbandry knowledge
Started and protected universities
Sponsored and supported science and medicine
Created International Law theory
Developed and sponsored modern economic theory
Invented charity as we know it
Codified, expanded, and improved Western Law
Developed Western Morality
Created just war theory
Sponsored and influenced art and architecture
Developed the concept of inalienable rights
I suggest you read the book "How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/his...
These are just unsupported self-serving claims form Catholic apologists, and many are absurd:

"Developed Western Morality" - LOL.

"Rescued pre-Christian literature" - ditto.

"Relief from the Barbarian invasions of the early middle ages" - see above.

If you want unbelievers to value your church, you should probably show us an actual benefit with evidence to support it, and then show us how it outweighs the huge harm that the church has done.

Fennario

#540053 May 26, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
Everyone seems so obsessed with talking about homosexuality.
Are you referring to Trifecta, Lawless and Adam? They can't stop.
I assume you were under the assumption that I intended to link my disdain for cabage with disdain for homosexuality. As I pointed out to AnnieJ I see there being no possible link between the two and that is in fact why it was chosen.
You have the concept of analogy all messed up. You introduced your distaste for cabbage and your unwillingness to support others from partaking in what you found unappealing during a discussion about voting in support of gay rights. Ever since, you have been perplexed that anybody could compare the two.

This is a good reason why we should be training minds in reason based thinking and not faith based thought.
It was chosen to get people to laugh at me instead of hate on others.
That's pretty hard to believe, and a pretty poor strategy. Did the homophobes laugh at you? If so, did it reduce their hatred any?
I will go back and find the exact post where you posted those exact words and post it again. This one time. I will not play this game again.
What post? And why?

As for "this game," what game? Supporting your claims with links?

Nottingham, UK

#540054 May 26, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you believe Jesus was a myth??? So why you writing like what Jesus say mean anything to you?
I see you didn't deny that there are parts of the bible that have no relevance today. Nice to know you agree with me on that.

The evidence is scant but I guess it's possible there may have been an itinerant preacher in that area called Jesus.

However, there is absolutely no evidence that he performed the magic and miracles the believers claim he did.

Nottingham, UK

#540055 May 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Khatru,
We shouldn't hop between the 2 Testaments because they are actually 2 "Different" Covenants..I.E...Contracts or will and testaments" The first one ( OT) was a covenant between God and man but man couldn't keep their end of the contract so God found fault with the first covenant with all it's rules that man couldn't keep SO the second covenant was needed ( NT) which is a covenant between God and Jesus.
It is true that Christ did not come to destroy or abolish the law and Prophets. Every jot and tittle (or last letter) of the law is still in effect, but Jesus makes it very clear that what He came to do, was to FULFILL or satisfy them FOR US.
IF man could have kept the Law perfectly ( as some still think they can) than Jesus would not have had to die to satisfy the Laws of the Old Covenant.
By fulfilling the law Christ satisfied all its requirements in our stead. In other words, the 'required' obedience to such laws are accomplished in Him. Therefore, "in Christ" do we keep all the law faithfully, and cannot be accused. In this way, we can no longer be judged by any of the everlasting laws, because those laws having been satisfied, we are now under the Grace of God. So that in the Spirit of Christ, the law does not condemn us.
The only one's that will be judged by the Law are the one's that still want to keep themselves under the Old Covenant and those who refuse to accept the Free Gift of Righteousness and Believe in Jesus Christ. That's my belief and what is called the Gospel of Jesus Christ..I.E The Gospel of Grace. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Just wanted to explain this for you. Peace and Grace to you. P.S..I have scripture to back up everything that I just said and if you would like to see them, I will post them..OK?
The message seems ambiguous.

On one hand you say the old law is fulfilled (ended) and on the other you say that the old law still applies.

Yet there appears to be no end of believers who continue quoting from the OT as if its laws do apply.

What Christians need to do is to first reach a common consensus among themselves. However, I see little chance of that happening.

Fennario

#540056 May 26, 2013
<quoted text>
Hello IANS, This was your post. As all can see, you asked "What would you think of this answer: "Religion is disgusting. The thought of it makes me sick. No matter what anybody says, I won't support that right. And if you don't like it, tough.""
Now I see what you mean. I wrote those words, but they are not my sentiments. The last time you posted it, you left out the "What would you think of this answer" part. That's a pretty important omission. It changes my meaning in exactly the same way as reproducing "I would never say that I don't love my wife" as "I don't love my wife."

By the way, this is the link to that showing both how I posted it in the quote above and how you reproduced it
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

I hadn't reread my post that you had quoted to realize what you had done, and I didn't recognize the words. I just knew that they misrepresented my opinion. My apologies for any part I may have played in the confusion.

Is this the "game" that you didn't want to play? It was necessary to clear up the confusion that resulted from your reposting words that I didn't recognize out of context.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#540057 May 26, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text> because my faith and beliefs is only relevant to me. what you think of it is only relevant to you. its not like you can do anything about christianity on this billboard.
Riiight, you're a - "Christian denomination" - of one, yourself.

You could say you believe the Jesus! has rainbow hair, three eyeballs and plays a fiddle with Elvis.

As long as you believe it, with faith as your evidence, that's all you need.

That's the result of the modern and modified "personal relationship" version of Christianity, meant to alleviate the extreme cognitive dissonance as the belief as it was practiced, became ,well, absolutely unbelievable.

The New Christianity: "It can be just about anything as long as we mention the Jesus! and luuvvv from time to time!"

Nottingham, UK

#540059 May 26, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> And that has to do with?????.....you are in a cesspool of ignorance as well as lying.
You said that all the words in the Bible are from Jesus.

You then said that Jesus does not sanction death.

Revelation sanctions death.

Therefore, despite what you say, Jesus does sanction death after all.

Nottingham, UK

#540060 May 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
His Treatise of Human Nature is an anthology, I've read parts of it.
Part of it is from Oscar Wilde. When I read that Mr Wilde was a pedophile and even stated in court that he refused kissing a young servant of his because ugly, or in Wilde's words: "He was a particularly plain boy--unfortunately ugly--I pitied him for it.", I could not continue.
I'll remain ignorant on that...
Hi RR

I'm not sure about the Oscar Wilde reference.

David Hume died in 1776 - nearly eighty years before Oscar Wilde was born.

Fennario

#540061 May 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Annie's way will accomplish nothing for her son
AnnieJ wrote:
Perhaps you are right IANS...maybe I do my son more harm that good. Maybe I have not been the mother to him that I should have been.
Don't be that way, Annie. That's not what I said or meant.

You went on at great length about how you didn't want to fight this battle against the homophobes, and you did so in a way that seemed to disapprove of those of us that did - language suggesting that such behavior was wrong.

Regarding doing battle, you wrote,

"I do not want to look in to that abyss and see myself staring back at me. I do not want to become that which I deplore" and "My son deserves better than that from me"

You're implying there that people engaged in this struggle are becoming like those that they deplore, and that people deserve better than that. If you didn't mean that, my apologies.

But that is what I understood your comment to mean, I disagreed, and I was concerned that you might influence Lacez and others to stand down and be more like you. Your way is fine for you, but will accomplish nothing for anybody else, and I wanted him to feel good about what he was doing despite your words.

Better?

Nottingham, UK

#540062 May 26, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mommy should have flushed you down into the toilet when she gave birth to you.I am superior to you. You scummy Schizo aussie aborigini piece of shit.
You Germans tried that "superior" shit before and look where it got you.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#540063 May 26, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in Correct once. Lovely place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correct,_Indiana
You should check out Nothing some day...

"Town of Nothing Arizona. Founded 1977. Elevation 3269ft.
The staunch citizens of Nothing are full of Hope, Faith, and Believe in the work ethic. Thru-the-years-these dedicated people had faith in Nothing, hoped for Nothing, worked at Nothing, for Nothing."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing,_Arizona

Nottingham, UK

#540064 May 26, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
Well, pretty soon.
Yup.
I'm sure of that.
Well, pretty sure.
Now we don't want any of this "soon means longer than 2000 years" schtick.

Location hidden

#540066 May 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You should check out Nothing some day...
"Town of Nothing Arizona. Founded 1977. Elevation 3269ft.
The staunch citizens of Nothing are full of Hope, Faith, and Believe in the work ethic. Thru-the-years-these dedicated people had faith in Nothing, hoped for Nothing, worked at Nothing, for Nothing."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing,_Arizona
Holyshit

http://images.dangerousminds.net/uploads/imag...

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bjGFxc9O1Jo/TvC8-vP...

What can you do?

http://mickklass.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v4/p1487...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 9 min Arun 289
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min It aint necessari... 855,895
John Holmes(white man)had biggest penis in history (Dec '08) 54 min peopleare dumb 86
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 57 min I Am No One_ 444,365
Is the problem of groping in India over exagger... (Jan '11) 1 hr rajanw 481
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Mr Wiggley 1,079
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 2 hr Ruby88 53,430
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Henry_Joseph 177,231
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 4 hr winthanga 7,341
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 hr marge 596,695
More from around the web