Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#537651 May 22, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a homeless man that stand across the street every morning waiting for the agency to open that serves breakfast at 6:00 AM. He arrives at around 5:00. While he is waiting...he comes his hair...cleans his teeth...repacks his duffel bag.
One day...I saw inside that bag...everything neatly folded...his shirts folded and put in one plastic bag...his socks in another...and yet another for his pants. I was amazed at how neat and percise that he was.
I did not see a "bum"...just a man that for some unknown to me reason no longer had a home to go to.
IMO "Bums" can live in homes...be married...have kids. They are the type of people that mentally or physically abuse their families and friends. They take advantage of others. They care about no one but themselves.
Saying someone is "homeless" over calling them a "bum" is not being politically correct...it is being respectful to someone regardless of what might have happened in their lives.
Most of us at any point could have circumstances beyond our control happen and we might be on the streets. If you have a guarantee that it won't happen to you...then you are more blessed than most people.
Should i have said "temporarily housing displaced"?

Annie, as much as the political correctness for show is appreciated, it really isn't necessary. I would never treat someone on the street disrespectfully. In fact i have gone out of my way many times to help specifically people in that situation. I simply am not going to tailor my speech in an Internet-chat room because people like to score points on being disingenuous. The only reason "bum" is offensive is if you choose to make it so. I find your term of homeless offensive because it implies anyone without a house isn't as valuable a human being and it shows how this country puts emphasis on material things. See how I can play those games too? But i won't because that would be the actual insulting thing to use the situation, making titles of more relevance than people because we are trying to maneuver in a chat-room. I will let my actions do the talking when it comes to society. People can play all the games they want in here with words

Location hidden

#537654 May 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I do.
Do YOU see what you are saying about the Christian community?
Do you see anything analogous occurring in the skeptic community? How many of us have savaged another unbeliever? Have you seen Tide and Happy Lesbo get vicious? How about Catcher and me? Or Alice and Khatru?
Compare that with your comment: "9 times out of 10 they tear into her"
Does that say anything to you? What will faith allow you to see? I'll bet that you still see the superiority of the Christian ethic, and that nothing could ever suggest differently, whatever you saw. When faith closes your mind to reason and evidence, it stays closed for as long as you keep the faith.
Um...you have already shown why

For many of you, they take your route where you turn a blind eye to each other's actions because it is much smarter to you to make an ally than to be ethical

You guys never correct each other so how could you have to worry about it getting nasty?

Like i said, because a group of people gang-raping some girl are in agreement and don't fight it is not proof of their ethical superiority

And you have proven time and time again your personal ethics are those of a bigot

Location hidden

#537655 May 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.
People are born Mexican. And you didn't just put down Mexico as a terrible place to be. You denigrated the people. Go look at what you wrote.
Christianity is a belief system, and I feel comfortable criticizing it and those who belong to it voluntarily.
This is not going to be one of those huge discussions with Skom.
You right it isn't

I don't waste my time with hypocritical, double standard discussions and you would lose it

If i say for instance living in a hot, dry, dusty desert would be a terrible place to live, am I putting down all the people that live there or saying that the place itself is terrible? In Mexico you can't even drink the water without getting sick

Now you on the other hand have constantly approved of making terrible, denigrating remarks about millions upon millions of people knowing absolutely knowing about them personally other than they consider themselves Christians

You really want to keep having this discussion because I understand why you wouldn't. I certainly see no reason to continue

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#537656 May 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Should i have said "temporarily housing displaced"?
Annie, as much as the political correctness for show is appreciated, it really isn't necessary. I would never treat someone on the street disrespectfully. In fact i have gone out of my way many times to help specifically people in that situation. I simply am not going to tailor my speech in an Internet-chat room because people like to score points on being disingenuous. The only reason "bum" is offensive is if you choose to make it so. I find your term of homeless offensive because it implies anyone without a house isn't as valuable a human being and it shows how this country puts emphasis on material things. See how I can play those games too? But i won't because that would be the actual insulting thing to use the situation, making titles of more relevance than people because we are trying to maneuver in a chat-room. I will let my actions do the talking when it comes to society. People can play all the games they want in here with words
Dictionary definitions:

bum 1 (bm)
n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.

Location hidden

#537659 May 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
More tripe from the YahwehMart greeter.
Why are you mocking entire religions

Do you feel your issue with one person within the religion give syou the moral right to insult the entire faith? Is that what you would have us do with Muslims in America and those of others faiths as well?

Man I love these double standards

BTW, do you (or you Annie) find the term "beach-bum" offensive?

I only ask so you can say yourself the response on why "bum" is so bad

Location hidden

#537660 May 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dictionary definitions:
bum 1 (bm)
n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
LOL

Dang Cather, do I know you or what?

Is the term "beach-bum" offensive to you?

Terms are how you view them

Kind of like Yahwehmart I guess

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#537661 May 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
btw when you responded to this:
"How about you? How are you doing? What time do you have to be at work?" By posting this:

"crickets
Ouch.
Sorry, man. That must be rough.
I think that my bedroom clock has an alarm built into it, but I wouldn't know how to work the darned thing."

That was all you! You wrote both parts and got your quotes wrong
So when you were copying the text, you responded to your own questions by making cricket sounds and saying ouch!
You're really quite linguistically impaired, aren't you? I responded to you, not me.

And no, that wasn't all me. You changed something there that significantly changes the meaning of that verbal string.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Skombolis wrote:
Maybe when you are done though you can tell me how good you are at paying attention to details and why you wouldn't make mistakes?
I make plenty of mistakes on Topix, but they're pretty much all editing errors - nothing substantive. My facts are correct.

And you picked a bad time to be doing this. It's your mistake again - another failure to understand what you read, and even more remarkably, a failure to even copy-and-paste adequately. It's a visible illustration of the way information processing proceeds in your head when reading.

Location hidden

#537663 May 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dictionary definitions:
bum 1 (bm)
n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
And yes i go by number 1, the most commonly used definition which is tramp or vagrant

There is no moral connotation, it simply is an accurate description of their current living condition

Someone living on the street is considered a vagrant. Even legally, you know that right? Laws like Vagrancy?

Do you hate the legal profession for how it has named people?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#537665 May 22, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> No sir, because I know that they are not real, but Jesus Christ makes himself known to those who believe on him through his spirit, and it not something that is material that it came be proven physically to anyone who do not believe, but it is revealed to us through faith in God through Christ Jesus, and we are witnesses with the evidence of his workings in our lives.
Millions of people would disagree with you on that and would, no doubt, use the same argument many christians use.

It goes something like this...

"You can't prove our god doesn't exist..."

Location hidden

#537666 May 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're really quite linguistically impaired, aren't you? I responded to you, not me.
Um..no you didn't crazy person

I didn't ask you when do you work and what time do you work? I know you are retired. You asked me that so you could then ask about me getting drug tested

That water is rotting your brain

Location hidden

#537667 May 22, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't read this comment from you until now.... I also said "You have been Holding back?"
LOL
:)

Nottingham, UK

#537668 May 22, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> No, because God wouldn't command us to kill anyone, he is the prince of peace and if you know anything about him in this current dispensation of grace, you would know that, the situation with Abraham and Isaac was a test of Abraham's faith and obedience.
You realise that you're putting limits on what your god will/won't do?

Your god may decide to get into another bet with Satan and you may be their pawn.

Anyway. I didn't say WHEN your god tells you to kill - I said IF.

Let's try again.

Imagine IF you were 100% certain that your god was talking to you.

Now imagine IF he said something like this....

"The atheist across the road has mocked me and you will be my servant of vengeance. I want you to kill his children."

==========
Why do christians always run away from this question?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#537669 May 22, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Duane.
I hope you are feeling better.^^^ I see you still have your sense of humor.:)
I hope I die laughing. LOL

Nottingham, UK

#537670 May 22, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I see this statement differently. I believe that churches have relented and don't speak of divorce as often. If they did...half of their members would probably walk out.
It is one of those subjects (IMO) that churches have had to tone down. If the divorce rate is between 40 and 50 percent (depending on what statistic you look at) almost half of those church members have divorced.
Church attendance is down...which means funding is down...can they really afford to make between 40 to 50 percent of the congregation angry?
When I was a child divorce was a big "no no" in the church but so was drinking...cursing....and a lot of other things. Things that just don't seem to matter to a good portion of Christians now.
Fair points - I guess these people are far more in tune with the 21st century compared to some of the believers in here.

Those same believers, who, I am sure, would say these people aren't "true christians".

Nottingham, UK

#537672 May 22, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
Wow.......you are an embarrassing "wealth of wisdom and knowledge" on these subjects, aren't you?.........a few truths to consider here, God does not necessarily cure everyone of all their ailments, often when someone prays on your behalf then at least on some level you yourself have to have faith to help put God's power into effect.....FAITH.......very sure that he can cure all ailments regardless without it, but that working through the power of faith is simply how he operates through and deals with man.
Why doesn't your god cure all the world's sick children? Going by what you've said, there are three possibilities:

1. Your god doesn't exist.

2. None of the world's christians possess enough faith for their god to answer their prayers.

3. The world's christians don't really care about sick children, so they can't be bothered asking their god to cure them.
LAWEST100 wrote:
I have personally besought and asked my Bishop and overseer to pray for me on certain matters numerous times, he always agreed to do so but always reminds me to have some faith MYSELF to receive it. Did you know that the Apostle Paul himself mentioned an undisclosed illness that he suffered from, having asked God three times to remove it from him, and the Lord refused to do so citing to Paul that his ( God's ) grace was sufficient for Paul as God's strength is made perfect in weakness. He doesn't always heal everyone for whatever reason and when he does, not always completely for he can use us just as we are.
In other words, your god could save millions of children from dying but he fails to act.

Mind you, those behind the 9/11 bombings would have prayed to their god to ensure the success of their mission; so maybe you're right and perhaps there is something to praying after all.

Nottingham, UK

#537674 May 22, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Not necessarily, some marriages works well from outside the realm of his church and spirit, but there are no guarantees on the outside of what have been discussed here.
Yup - marriage has no need of superstition and mumbo jumbo.

Fennario

#537675 May 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Say people want to laugh and giggle when comments are made like panty-sniffing god or telling HFN if she has considered a pessary ...
Those were both very funny examples of the art of the insult. Flap flap flap indeed! Insulto Kwan Do is the verbal martial art. You take the other guys insult, retroflex it, and colonoscope him or her with it.

Why can't you be funny? It would excuse a host of sins if you were. Your insolence would even be welcome if it were witty enough, like a roast. But it's not.

Consider your last post, where you mangled up the crickets thing, and then did a victory dance while unwittingly mocking your mistakes. You may be a laughing stock, but I doubt anybody feels good about seeing that.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#537676 May 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys never correct each other so how could you have to worry about it getting nasty?**PORTIONS SNIPPED**
.. this is not true ..

Fennario

#537677 May 22, 2013
Counter_Strike wrote:
All will know and understand it is true, especially very end, but you're right, not all will accept.
It's Scary Chicken time.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#537679 May 22, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you mocking entire religions
Do you feel your issue with one person within the religion give syou the moral right to insult the entire faith? Is that what you would have us do with Muslims in America and those of others faiths as well?
Man I love these double standards
BTW, do you (or you Annie) find the term "beach-bum" offensive?
I only ask so you can say yourself the response on why "bum" is so bad
Just mocking one guy, Counter_Strike.

Beach bum has its own definition. It is not an offensive term.

Bum is offensive. I gave you a dictionary definition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min USA Born 550,966
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min KiMare 96,454
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Aura Mytha 753,752
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 11 min andet1987 4,841
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 24 min andet1987 1,204
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 32 min andet1987 4,339
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 42 min Dr_Zorderz 262,091
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 7 hr girls united states 173

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE