“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#535780 May 18, 2013
Pat Robertson shrugs off adultery, CBN regrets the misunderstanding
(CNN)- The Christian Broadcasting Network regrets the misunderstanding. Again.
Pat Robertson, the network's 83-year-old founder, was not condoning adultery when he answered a viewer's quesion on "The 700 Club" this week, the network said.
The viewer said she was having difficulty forgiving her husband for cheating. Robertson said the “secret” was to “stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he’s a man. OK.”
Robertson went on to suggest the woman focus on why she had married her husband and whether he provided for her needs and those of their children, adding,“Is he handsome? Start focusing on these things and essentially fall in love all over again.”
“Males have a tendency to wander a little bit. And what you want to do is make a home so wonderful he doesn’t want to wander.”
CBN spokesman Chris Roslan wrote in a statement that Robertson’s “intent was not to condone infidelity or to cast blame. We regret any misunderstanding."
Robertson off-the-cuff comments over the years have perplexed and angered other Christian leaders. One Christian pastor said his New Year’s resolution was to not comment on Robertson’s gaffes for an entire year.
Here are some of Robertson's most memorable statements:
1. The U.S. should kill Chavez
In 2005 Robertson suggested the United States should assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.
"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don’t need another $200 billion war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It’s a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with,” he said in a segment about the now-deceased head of state.
After considerable outcry, the minister backtracked and released a statement saying,“Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."
A U.S. State Department official called the remarks "inappropriate."
2. How bad is weed, really?
Robertson, who once ran for president as a Republican, broke ranks with religious conservatives by endorsing the legalization of marijuana. "I believe in working with the hearts of people, and not locking them up," he said in a 2010 broadcast of "The 700 Club."
Cue spokesman Chris Roslan, who wrote,“Pat has never condoned the use of, nor does he use, marijuana.”
3. You know who’s to blame for that earthquake in Haiti? Haitians.
Shortly after a 2010 earthquake in Haiti left more than 220,000 people dead and Port-au-Prince decimated, Robertson referenced a slave revolt in 1804, where, legend has it, the Haitian slaves made a deal with the devil to shake off French colonialism.
"And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said,'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said,'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said one day after the quake.
"You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other."
That day CBN quickly clarified:“Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear.” In fact, while Robertson was talking about Haiti on TV, his charitable arm Operation Blessing was already on the ground providing medical treatment, food, and supplies to victims.

Con'td.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#535781 May 18, 2013
Part Two.

4. Gay days = hurricanes and possibly meteors

In June 1998, after Walt Disney World announced it would have special days for gay and lesbian families in Orlando, and city officials announced they would fly rainbow flags in support of the event, Robertson warned the city, "You're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

Robertson told the Orlando Sentinel at the time that his comments were taken out of context and released a full transcript of what he said on the show:

“So if the United States wants to embrace 'degrading passions'- according to the Bible, something that the Bible says is an abomination against God - we're not in any way, shape or form hating anybody. This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But if a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation; if it will bring about terrorist bombs; if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to. And I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

Eric Marrapodi - CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#535782 May 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith says that the bible is perfect, so it is. Syllogism has no power here. Faith is unafraid to go where reason dares not.
Which explains why you can't use reason with people who have abandoned it.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#535783 May 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Faith says that the bible is perfect, so it is. Syllogism has no power here. Faith is unafraid to go where reason dares not.
I believe :)

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#535785 May 18, 2013
<quoted text>
I listened to her video called What Do I Believe About God at that link. She's basically turned god into a nonentity:
"I don't believe there's a god up there in the sky that comes down here or rewards or punishes us based on our actions. I don't believe in a conscious god that I can pray to, and that god will respond to my prayers. What I believe is that God is all about connections."
This is the influence that rational skepticism has had on religion. It is gradually being stripped of its magical man in the clouds and being replaced with the pronouncements of science. Her god is just connections, which we already have without the god.
In biology, Darwin showed us that all life is connected. Here are the chordata, a branch of animalia
http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/maderbiolog...
In chemistry, Mendelev unified the elements by grouping them into families with his periodic table, which started out looking like this http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-djLngl0uCKY/UMjFeWW...
And the physicists have been unifying the forces one to another beginning with Maxwell, and the forces with the particles, which now have their own periodic table
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8...
People who buy into this are already on their way to becoming atheists. They're just looking for their transition to be guided by a framework that is familiar to them; empty bullshit. What I find sad is, these people realize, perhaps only on an unconscious level, that deity beliefs are untenable. The more descriptive they are, the less tenable they are. If they could realize this on a conscious level as rational skeptics, they could save a lot of time and embarrassment.
Homer

London, KY

#535786 May 18, 2013
Well He sure don't love me or you!!!. You know there is this Bible verse, Matthew 7 verse 10 I think it is. Aneyway it says there" ask for a fish get a serpent " Do you know what I asked God for in May of 84?. I ask Him for a wife. Do you know what God gave me 6 months later?. A W****!!!. That's what that stupid God gave me!!!. So, don't ever ask God for aneything. He'll give you the opposite. I should ask God for a W****. That way God will give me a wife!!!...

Location hidden

#535787 May 18, 2013
karl44 wrote:
christianity is a failed moral system
I agree, but I would articulate this a little differently.

Christianity failed at being a moral system.

The Bible only makes pronouncements about morality. It's not really a system, unless you can call a list a system. Biblical morality hinges on an appeal to authority, one that is never demonstrated. This makes Biblical morality not just a might-makes-right proposition, but one undermined by an absence of a real authority. There are only empty threats and empty promises.

Christians being unable to realize this further demonstrates the scale of a failure that Christianity is. It is not self correcting. The corrections to Christianity have all been forced upon it from the outside.

I should note that Christianity is not alone in failure, as most religions are in the same sinking ship.

Location hidden

#535788 May 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Which explains why you can't use reason with people who have abandoned it.
I'm not so sure that the religious have abandoned reason. I think it's much more likely that most engage in special pleading, in their minds, to excuse themselves from acknowledging or realizing what it would mean to apply reason to their faith based beliefs.

People that have faith don't value faith consistently. They don't value skepticism consistently. But they have to acknowledge the superiority of skepticism and the inferiority of faith all the time when they aren't looking at themselves.

We must also take seriously the possibility that many religious people are unacquainted with reason in the first place.

(I'm not posting to argue, because I think you already know this. I'm just using the opportunity to expand on the subject.)

Nottingham, UK

#535791 May 18, 2013
Capillary Action wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not so sure that the religious have abandoned reason. I think it's much more likely that most engage in special pleading, in their minds, to excuse themselves from acknowledging or realizing what it would mean to apply reason to their faith based beliefs.
People that have faith don't value faith consistently. They don't value skepticism consistently. But they have to acknowledge the superiority of skepticism and the inferiority of faith all the time when they aren't looking at themselves.
We must also take seriously the possibility that many religious people are unacquainted with reason in the first place.
(I'm not posting to argue, because I think you already know this. I'm just using the opportunity to expand on the subject.)
Hi CA

You raise some good points.

I also find that quite a few of the faithful seem to have no qualms about leaving a question unanswered. Whereas non-believers will often try to answer a question.

It may not be to the believer's satisfaction but I for one hate walking away from unanswered questions.

What I find with many believers is if you ask a question that requires them to inspect what they think, the conversation deteriorates and they'll try to shift the focus to some kind of "only I can understand it" angle.

Nottingham, UK

#535792 May 18, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
Part Two.
4. Gay days = hurricanes and possibly meteors
In June 1998, after Walt Disney World announced it would have special days for gay and lesbian families in Orlando, and city officials announced they would fly rainbow flags in support of the event, Robertson warned the city, "You're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."
Robertson told the Orlando Sentinel at the time that his comments were taken out of context and released a full transcript of what he said on the show:
“So if the United States wants to embrace 'degrading passions'- according to the Bible, something that the Bible says is an abomination against God - we're not in any way, shape or form hating anybody. This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But if a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation; if it will bring about terrorist bombs; if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to. And I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."
Eric Marrapodi - CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
Filed under: Belief • Christianity
Almost missed this.

I see little difference between Pat Robertson and Kazem Seddiqi.

One is a christian whackjob who thinks his god is raging at homosexuals by causing meteor strikes.

The other is a muslim whackjob who thinks his god is raging at bare-breasted women by causing earthquakes.

Location hidden

#535793 May 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Hi CA
You raise some good points.
I also find that quite a few of the faithful seem to have no qualms about leaving a question unanswered. Whereas non-believers will often try to answer a question.
It may not be to the believer's satisfaction but I for one hate walking away from unanswered questions.
What I find with many believers is if you ask a question that requires them to inspect what they think, the conversation deteriorates and they'll try to shift the focus to some kind of "only I can understand it" angle.
Don't look behind the curtain!

Believers distract and divert to save themselves from realizations. Whether a workaround or suppression is used, something needs to happen to protect their faith. Because the discomfort of cognitive dissonance can be a real problem, the unconscious mind does the lion's share of this work. It's all behind the curtain, and they know just enough to know not to look.
charity box

Bolton, UK

#535795 May 18, 2013
me and the deil raped Jesus and made him all Queery deery

“Hippie Witch”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#535797 May 18, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Hey there Phae, I believe you are going to live a long time, I say that because I had you in mind earlier and was thinking of you, and here you are. How's everything going with you?
Hey my friend, I still read along from time to time and couldn't resist a little chuckle on Skoms response. I hope I get to live a full and happy life...so far so good ;-)

How are you doing?

“Hippie Witch”

Location hidden

#535798 May 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Phaerae! Great to see ya! What, are you saying women arent into that? heh:) The thing is that it drives Mike nuts when people shown concern for others. It is so foreign to him he figures there must be an alternative motive. Its bizarre
Lol...not many women I know, that's for sure ;-). How are you friend?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#535799 May 18, 2013
Le_le wrote:
At times, I have been one of Skom's biggest admirers. He is not dumb.. By a long shot.
Really?

What would the Dimwit have to do for you to have the opposite opinion?

Consider the choices that he has made that we know of. He’s a drug addict. Not too smart. He’s a convict. Ditto. He was as foolish as possible in the choices he made regarding our relationship, something he could easily have averted at any of several junctures.

He is incapable of reading something, understanding it, and repeating it without deforming it. He doesn’t seem to have expertise in any area. I believe he does unskilled work. He never indicates any level of education or sophistication in any field. I believe he does unskilled work.

The Dimwit’s bad judgment is seen there as well. Choosing to argue with a physician about medicine can’t be too smart, and he knows nothing about what he is arguing. In case anybody is interested, the Dimwit has taken the wrong side on three positions that I can recall: dependence is NOT synonymous with addiction, Ritalin IS prescribed to adults, and methadone IS prescribed to drug addicts).

So what would he have to have done to make you think that he’s NOT smart by a long shot? Drool? Run into walls at high speed without his head gear on? Drink his own urine? How do we know that he doesn’t do those things?
Le_le wrote:
He and I have been in this place we are in before. Yet, this time- I am lighting up that sign for good..
I see a crude, self centered heart in him- one that I just do not want to associate myself with anymore.
There's nothing there - no character, no wit, and no honor. He brings nothing to the table.
Le_le wrote:
His words aren't funny or justified, yet, they are accepted by the Christians on this site- they eat up his vulgarity.. He has always made gay references in his insults towards other men. I should have known all those years ago.. where his heart lies. Shame on me for "playing" so long.
So one more time - why did you think he wasn't a fool?

“Hippie Witch”

Location hidden

#535800 May 18, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
~ Anais Nin
Love Anais Nin and this quote.
sammy

Bolton, UK

#535801 May 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost missed this.
I see little difference between Pat Robertson and Kazem Seddiqi.
One is a christian whackjob who thinks his god is raging at homosexuals by causing meteor strikes.
The other is a muslim whackjob who thinks his god is raging at bare-breasted women by causing earthquakes.
Jesus, you make my sides crack with your comments you are funny as f..ck I would like to know you better
sammy

Bolton, UK

#535802 May 18, 2013
Phaerae wrote:
<quoted text>
Love Anais Nin and this quote.
f..ck him I like Green day and U2 and all the gothic groups ...especially Florence and the machine

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

#535803 May 18, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Shrink! You are of your father,Daffy Duck!!
You are of your father ...Dork.
sammy

Bolton, UK

#535804 May 18, 2013
are you having a go at me because I don't believe in muslim rape ing white kids at least leave us to be raped off our own kind and stick to your packy girls and blackys

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min UidiotraceMAkeWor... 751,113
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min New Age Spiritual... 548,864
GloBULL warming 6 min andet1987 3
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min Johnny 3,698
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 10 min andet1987 5,508
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 16 min Eagle 12 230,091
Have You Ever Taken Part In Public Nudity? (Dec '07) 26 min The Ghost Rider 794
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr RADEKT 261,707
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Feb '14) 8 hr Dubai Massage 055... 119

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE