Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#535336 May 17, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed they did. In fact, the Bible was written only in Latin, so that only priests and other scholars could read it. William Tyndale translated the first English Bible. In 1536, he was burned @ the stake for his trouble.
One reason is that if you can read it properly, you can see what a Warlord the OT God was.
No wonder those christians had William Tyndale killed.

After all, we only need to look at the reaction of the Church when the first European (China had them centuries before) printing presses started to produce bulk runs of the bible. Prior to the printing press, the church had a monopoly on the production of documents and books. They also had the authority and influence to ensure that any documents it deemed to be heretical could be seized and destroyed.

Thankfully and despite the best efforts of christians to prevent it, printing presses took book copying out of the hands of the church. This led to more and more secular publications which would shake the foundations of centuries of christian thought.

Nottingham, UK

#535337 May 17, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the story of Troy was true history. They excavated the ruins in present day Turkey.
I don't know how accurate Homer's version was tho. He was Greek, so from the winning side.
We all know that many believers will often take the smallest archaeological find as evidence that everything that happened in the bible was for real.

Perhaps we can apply that logic to Troy and use that as evidence that the Greek gods were also for real.

Nottingham, UK

#535339 May 17, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> What the spirit inspired Timothy to write is still a part of the Word of God, God has the roles outlined for both men and women in his church, what is your problem with that besides your unbelief?
It's just an observation.

We rarely hear christians saying that faith will not get a woman into heaven. Not unless they also have babies.

It's not the smartest of scriptures but everyone has off days..... even God.

Nottingham, UK

#535340 May 17, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe you missed this one... re-post won't hurt.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Jonah 3
10 When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.
So I was right about prophecies.

They are of what may happen - not of what will happen.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#535341 May 17, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been lucky, Skom. Some people look at me and feel pity. Some look at me and say, "There but for the grace of GOD, go I".
Some look at me furtively and shift their eyes when I look back. I observe.
.. quite often, people are somewhat near-sighted ..
Bongo

Bayport, NY

#535342 May 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Bears helped the old man? As in on their own? That's pretty funny.
Or perhaps you meant that the bears were sent by the god. Weren't you trying to show that this was not a horror story? It's pretty horrible whatever is thought to be happening there.
The youths were attacking? Aren't you going a little further than the scripture allows? Look at this translation:
“From there Elisha went up to Bethel. While he was on his way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces.”- 2 Kings 2:23-24 (NAB)
I'll let you change "small boys" to teens and older, and "tor[n] to pieces" to just mauled.
But I don't see an attack any greater than the kind launched here on Topix: mere words. Is mauling by bear just? Is it necessary? Whatever it is, it's pure OT Jehovah, the sadistic, murderous, angry, judgmental god of the Christian bible, before he reinvented himself as Jesus.
Anyway, take a giant step back and look at what you are arguing. How can this be effective for you? We can concede all of your preferences in translation, and it's still an unbelievably horrible story. Throw in that the youth were menacing the old man, or even had roughed him up a little. Couldn't your god use the bears to disperse the crowd a little less violently? Not Jehovah.
Why does the Christian seem to never see these things? This is a horror story describing a monstrous god that overreacts a hundredfold.
Do you want to try to say otherwise? You seem to be trying. How can that help your religion or you?
One is wise to fear God. Know why I kill baby rats? Because they grow up to be big rats.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#535343 May 17, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>Jibberish!
"Fake" wanna-be coward!
Good Morning mike :) I'm sorry it seemed jibberish to you.
But thanks for letting me know your thoughts.
B-man

P.S. Hey mike, you shouldn't put yourself down like that. Next time, even if your feeling down, just sign off, mike.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#535344 May 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
*blah blah blah yakkety schmakety*,
...who were you hiding from anyway?
i was hiding/lost, but now i'm found; was blind but now i see:)

"and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden"

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#535345 May 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
"Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number." because bears are known for their restraint.
word to the wise: don't exasperate the prophets of God while they're on a mission!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#535346 May 17, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Old? Approaching middle age.
Decrepitr[sic]?: Physically limited I agree(but then I haven`t hidden the fact that I`m disabled) due to military service, I`ve had extensive maxilo-facial surgery and a lot of post trauma therapy, I had to learn to walk and speak again
I don`t scare my own child, she loves to feel my brain through the soft spot in my forehead. She`s a creepy kid...very smart though, unlike you.
We don`t grant law licenses here, here you actually have to have an education. I got my masters and passed the bar in the New York in six weeks...many UK students do it in the US...FOR A LAUGH!
My wife is Pocahontas, not joking.....if you saw her you`d think, "Holy shit, that`s Pocahontas" she`s a British Army biathlon champion.
...and you? LMFAO
i'm truly sorry to learn of your hardships and pain, i admit that i can not relate.

people are forced to make sense of life and look at circumstances in a reasonable manner in order to maintain sanity. similarly, God and spiritual matters are revealed through the Life of Christ and the parables He told.

these are the only way to reasonbly and truly navigate a realistic view God; personal experiences and disapointments are subjective and can get in the way of these truths.

case in point: the thief on the cross was crucified and died along side Jesus, but he was forgiven still and entered itno paradise that very day.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#535347 May 17, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. It is quite possible that Jesus believed himself to be the Messiah until he died, at which point HE would have realized he wasn't. Makes sense as the earliest sources claim his last words were " My God! My God! Why have you abandoned me." Makes more sense from a Jewish perspective than the Christian apoogetics that try to make it "proof He was God."
And this is the most ignored, the least recited and the least quoted verse, G_O_D, which confirms that he was not God.

"New Living Translation (©2007)

And this is the way to have eternal life--to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth."

The Church and the presbyters do not like this verse at all.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#535348 May 17, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Young man ( and I'm being generous to you with that term ) I am educated in a manner that you may perhaps never achieve.
So, you are educated in the sense of delusional education.
You've studied your bible and know it well (doesn't mean you follow it though, for you obviously don't), yet that does not make you educated.
To be educated, one must deploy common sense, rational thinking, and a basic knowledge of facts/acceptance of facts when proven to you.

You are obviously uneducated.

Montreal

#535349 May 17, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam is another Mojo. AND he's from the country that put your kind in concentration camps.
I can't stay silent when that's going on.
Adam is pretty vile, along with the others that sympathize with him.

Montreal

#535350 May 17, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lacez is not a her.
Stop that, please. Your homophobia is showing.
When Truths has been corrected at least 10 times, and continues to think of me as a woman, it does do that.
It's along the lines of homophobia, and also along the lines of heterosexism.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#535351 May 17, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How do you know for sure? Any fabricated object has a mean diameter. The circumference can change drastically from inner wall to outter wall.
Which has nothing to do with PI.

Now, shove your Bible up your ass to confirm your observations.

Nottingham, UK

#535353 May 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
The point is that obviously, no god was involved in writing that.
<quoted text>
Again, that is the point, not an excuse: the bible was written by "ignorant goat herder[s]," not any creator of the universe.
The goat herder would have been closer if the dimensions had written " ... ten cubits from the one brim to the other ... and a line of THIRTY-ONE cubits did compass it round about."
These people had no clue about pi, and no god that did to help them, either. That's a mistake, and it's in the bible, which is why Khatru posted it to Trifecta in the first place. You may recall that he was defending his bible's alleged inerrancy.
And another point is this: if you have faith, evidence like this, and like those reports of murdering witches, doesn't matter. It doesn't sway you because you won't let it. With faith, if you want your bible to appear error free, then it simply is, and no argument matters to you.
The bible is replete with errors. Were they in the Qur'an, you'd allow yourself to see that, and agree that they were errors. But in the bible, you just bat them off and say that there were none.
Speaking of bats, they are not fowl :
"And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray, and the vulture, and the kite after his kind; every raven after his kind; and the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind, and the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, and the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle, and the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat." — Leviticus 11:13-19, KJV
Cheers, IANS!

The errors and contradictions in the bible are definitely indicative of the work of men; not some omniscient cosmic mega-being.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#535355 May 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
A while back there were plenty of Christians who made claims that AIDS was their God's judgement against homosexuals.
I think Pat Robertson was part of that crowd.
I've never heard of lesbians contracting AIDS from having lesbian sex, so I guess God likes to see girls getting it on.
True.
There is not a single prohibition on lesbianism in the entire Bible.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#535356 May 17, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible doesn't say they attacked him.
They laughed at him and called him baldhead but there was no attack.
Other than the murderous rage of the bible god manifested in two she-bears.
You would think they would use that verse as justification for murdering any one who makes fun of them.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#535359 May 17, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
It is for the nut!
Food for thought before you eat say thank-you God! One reason too an Indigenous always thanks the land or creature.
"Scientists in Germany say vegetables let out screams when they are cut, fruits squeal and flowers cry. The researchers have developed a way to hear plant sounds which are normally inaudible to humans.
When a leaf or stem is sliced, the plant signals pain by releasing the gas ethylene over its entire surface. Bombarding the gas molecules with laser beams produces a sound wave, which is picked up by laser microphones.
Dr Frank Kuhnemann, of Bonn University, said: "The more a plant is subjected to stress, the louder the signal we get on our microphone."
The scientists were most surprised by the reaction of a cucumber, which appeared to be in good shape but was yelling in agony."
http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/cuc...
Oh my friend, I always make a point of sanctifying my food with prayer and the Word of God before I eat it.........

1 Timothy 4:4-5
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Yes I have heard about plants feeling pain when cut or butchered, and I am also familiar with the idea of plants responding to being gently spoken to as well, I've never gave it a lot of thought beyond taking pictures of colorful flowers of which you will find in my topix photo album that I uploaded. I saw a very funny episode of the old si-fi 60's tv show 'Lost in Space' that dealth with a revolt of the Horticulture community on that planet against the visiting Robinson family.

But I know that what you are pointing out is a serious and possible truth about the plant life.

Since: May 11

UK

#535360 May 17, 2013
Adam wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FNqbMARN0mUXX
PART 2 Lesbian Spirit Broken Off Young Girl!!! Mighty Deliverance!!!
...looks like mass hysteria and a bunch of nutters to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min June VanDerMark 559,353
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Dave Nelson 774,962
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Charlie Sheen 265,095
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 20 min RiccardoFire 37,812
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 35 min RiccardoFire 96,742
Our God Is The Mighty Creator Of All Things! 45 min andet1987 3
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 1 hr royal kannadiga 1,259
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Lyndi 175,605
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr Barnsweb 441,764
More from around the web