Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534607 May 15, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
How could I ignore you if you just turned up now? I never do on purpose you know that. Just keepin' it real between times that all.
How are you?
Fine. http://dzp6x8n7t89an.cloudfront.net/catalog/p...
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534608 May 15, 2013
Bye,Ree Ree.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#534609 May 15, 2013
boooots wrote:
Has it actually been proved beyond doubt that teaching a pig to sing annoys it?:)
Have you seen their faces?

This one was working on Singing In The Rain. He looks pissed. I think his name is Boooots, too.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ozurEB97SSI/Tc-fXhO...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#534610 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>And I definitely believe you. I mean the God whom you made certain ppl know you dont believe in and that you called nasty and a SOB suddenly is the source of genuine curiosity for you. What did you say you did again for a living? oops.....:)
Again, you are being agressive and certainly not friendly.

But that's ok, I'll try to explain.

Yes. The god I have been hearing about, especially in the OT, is indeed depicted as nasty and a SOB. Some try to explain that one way, some another way. But my conclusion is that this being, who Christians (and Jews) believes is real, is not nice. Again, I don't think he/she exists, I'm saying that the supposed being is not nice.

Jesus on the other hand is a different story. I can't say definitively whether the man Jesus, the person, existed or not. Maybe he did. If he did, there's no question he was a very, very good person and serves as a model, or a guide, for goodness in others. I tip my hat to Jesus' teachings, as I understand them.(But again, I am a nonbeliever in anything supernatural, so I reject the notion of Jesus as a god, the resurrection, any of that.)

And by the way, I am no more a nonbeliever in the OT or the Christian god than I am of the gods of other cultures and religions. I'm no expert on Greek and Roman gods, or the Mayan or Inca or Toltec or Scandinavian gods, but I reject those too while having a curiosity about the myths and the theories of the believers.

What I don't understand is why you object when I say I have a curiosity about religious beliefs. I kick myself to this day that I didn't take Philosophy of Religion, which was offered in my undergraduate school.

What I do for a living is one thing. My venture into Topix has nothing to do with it--it satisfies a whole different part of my intellect and curiosity. I try to separate the two, except when the legal field comes into the discussion; then, I can't help reverting to my professional side.

I hope this makes some sense to you.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#534611 May 15, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>You can't IGNORE me, Ree Ree Mae. I'm like a big juicy red wart on your nose!!! Don't IGNORE me!!!: http://dzp6x8n7t89an.cloudfront.net/catalog/p...
Hey Doc! This downloads... so I deleted without looking... keep it real man?
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534612 May 15, 2013
Hey,that nose with the red wart kinda' reminds me of another infamous nose!: http://www.bing.com/videos/search... 'M+MELTING+OZ+YOUTUBE&mid= 48773AA0596316FEE43E48773AA059 6316FEE43E&view=detail &FORM=VIRE1
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534614 May 15, 2013
http://www.bing.com/videos/search... 'M+MELTING+OZ+YOUTUBE&mid= 48773AA0596316FEE43E48773AA059 6316FEE43E&view=detail &FORM=VIRE1

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#534615 May 15, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds like ex president Bush...'You are either for us or against us!'
<quoted text>
They are grasshoppers!
We are worse. We not only destroy what's on the surface, we burrow deep and suck dry what came before us.
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534616 May 15, 2013
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534617 May 15, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there anything intelligent you can say?

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#534618 May 15, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Hey,that nose with the red wart kinda' reminds me of another infamous nose!: http://www.bing.com/videos/search... 'M+MELTING+OZ+YOUTUBE&mid= 48773AA0596316FEE43E48773AA059 6316FEE43E&view=detail &FORM=VIRE1
Hey! Why you sending me crap, or match making stuff ??? You should know I am light hearted but not dumb stupid Doc???

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#534619 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah we would probably not be aware it happened. But since right now you can think and act for yourself, is that something you would want? You are capable of considering it now since your mind is free. would the tradeoff be worth it? Would you prefer to be a mindless robot? The question isnt could God do it or would we know after but rather would it be worth taking all the real meaning and individuality and personalities that makes us unique out of life? What would be the point? Dont you prefer to be able to make your own choices?
I'm not sure we'd become "mindless robots". This is a concept that really defies conceptualizing in some aspects. For instance, those people we discussed that are compelled to do something, either by an obsession, or those that have no restraint of conscience(uninhibited free will?), are often found to be relatively normal people in many respects(they don't all become killers, rapists, arsonists etc...). Oft times they live in society with relatively few problems.

I think the point, is that to talk about an absence of freewill, and then make declarations about what that would mean or imply as far as affecting the lives of humans is all conjecture, from both you and myself.

Sure, it can be discussed, but I don't think it can be fully explored since we are in possession of a will.

As limited or unfettered in whatever circumstance it may be.
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534620 May 15, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Doc! This downloads... so I deleted without looking... keep it real man?
You're no fun....

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#534621 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit Scaritual...put it this way. What if someone were to come up behind you and shoot you in the head? You would just be dead. You wouldnt know you were dead or that someone took everything of meaning from you. Would that be all right since you wouldnt know it happened?
Is that what you perceive or conceptualize no free will to be manifested as?

Interesting.
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534622 May 15, 2013
Doctor REALITY

Malvern, AR

#534623 May 15, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Why you sending me crap, or match making stuff ??? You should know I am light hearted but not dumb stupid Doc???
http://www.awn.com/files/imagepicker/35/1106g...
Mark

Hedel, Netherlands

#534624 May 15, 2013
scaritual wrote:
As it stands, at this moment, your deity belief is no different than any other deity belief, what suffices to you as evidence, also works on the Hindu, Animist, and all other deity belief variations in more or less general terms.
So, while you or the Hindu may feel that you each worship the "real god(S)", due to whatever reason, if the evidence is to cause someone to believe differently or change deity belief completely, then it has to rely on real evidence.
This is not so. There are fundamental differences between monotheism and nature religions.

The idea of the real God, the only truth, is essential to monotheism. In most nature religions people do not believe such a God. And it they do they say the same God expresses himself in many different Gods.

They recognize a variety of Spirits, as everything in nature has a spirit, even simple stones (Only in Abramistic religions it is believed that only man carries a spirit).

Humans are neither submissive nor inferior to Gods in Nature religions. In nature religions people USE the spirits like we use material objects. They do not submit to them. Worshipping is rather a technique to acquire things. If they a worship a God or other spirit and it does not have any effect, they will cast him aside like a blunt knife. They do not care at all what other people worship, just what works for them.

In nature religions Gods are simply another class of beings, and there are classes of Gods as well. For instance you have spirits that possess a material body, like the Sun, but also spirits that do not have that. We still speak of the spirit of Love, the spirit of Peace, The spirit of Harmony, but also the spirit of hate.

That a stone has a spirit should not be understood that it has the mind of a human being. But some people can sense that some stones have certain beneficial spiritual qualities, apart from their physical qualities. That is why some people sense certain objects bring them calm or bad luck. Of course their is a lot of deceit and false claims in people selling stuff in commercial societies.

But today we have become over-rationalized in trying to give even all spiritual experiences a material cause. For instance if Sunlight has a beneficial effect on depression, it has to be explained in a material cause-effect-chain.

It is because of Christianity that we are trying to do that, because Christianity claims that only humans have a spirit. So my words may have a spiritual effect on you but not the Sun.

What we call "theology" is unique for monotheism particularly Christianity. Nature religion base itself on induction, but Christianity is based on theory. It was designed. It started with Plato, who created the idea that all objects in reality are imperfect copies of perfect forms in another roam. These forms he recognized in perfect circles, triangles etc.(ideas developed by earlier philosophers). These perfect forms were part of the perfect being, the ONE GOD. The Jews and many other cultures incorporated these ideas.

When the Romans constructed Christianity they threw ideas from all cults in the mix to keep everybody happy. They created a theoretical monstrosity called the trinity. This is the work of scholars, theoreticians and politicians. In this concept the one God is a spirit, a father figure, and a walking talking hero and moral teacher at the same time.

Nature religions are essentially based on induction. What you feel. Not on theory, they have no theology (ideology). A religion like Hinduism for instance has many schools of philosophy. But no theory is a theology. Just like science as several theories on an phenomena. American Indians never cared about any special God nor did they believe in a heaven, but they prepared the spirit for the next life.

The whole belief thing is typical for monotheism, especially Christianity. So not throw it all on the big heap.

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#534626 May 15, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Dork ...

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#534627 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text> the questions dont irritate me, stupidity does. You arent even close to on point. But like a child who insists ppl stop and pay attention to him you want to switch the conversation from why God doesnt stop bad things from happening to why God has punished mankind as told in the Bible. For an adult, those are 2 diff converations. Had we been talking about the other subject I would have been fine with it. But we were not
No, it's relevant to the conversation, in which the biblical story has numerous instances of interfering on it's own behalf, but mans, not so much.

Okay, now would be a good time to bring up that the deity sent its other self to save its creations from the wrath of itself by sacrificing itself to itself.

And all the while despots and storms and afflictions and life taking events take the lives of humans on a daily basis.

I suppose if that pissed the deity off or the deity took offense from that, he'd intervene there, too.

At least we have rainbows that guarantee us the world won't be flooded again...~/

Teeny floods and death is just fine, however.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#534629 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Edit scaritual...its ironic that for all the talk of myths and comparisons to Easter bunnies and what not that its unbelievers that feel if God exists that he should function as a Genie in a lamp and just grant personal wishes by only intervening when you permit it to do what you guys approve of. Maybe that is why some left the faith? Because God wasnt their personal wish granter
Genies:

RR might like this one.

There were three girls on a deserted island. One Blonde, one brunette and one red head. One day a bottle washed up. One of them picked it up and while rubbing the sand off of it, a Genie appeared.

"Since you released me from the bottle, I will allow three wishes. As there are three of you here, you each get one wish", said the Genie.

He looked first to the dark haired girl. She said, "I would like to back home with my boyfriend."

POOF !! She was gone.

He looked next to the red haired girl. She said, "I want to be back home with my family".

POOF !! She was gone.

He looked at the yellow haired girl. "What is your wish?", asked the Genie.

She looked around sadly and said, "I'm all alone here. I wish my two friends were back."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Mike Duquette 794,965
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 5 min andet1987 5,327
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min USA Born 567,950
I live with my cousin, we had sex and we loved it. 7 min this is my first ... 1
Scientific proof for God's existence 49 min BRAIN STORM 543
Homosexuals are servants and human children of ... 50 min eyeful 8
Husbands who constantly blame their wives....R ... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 267,396
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 4 hr AN NFL FAN 120,694
More from around the web