Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#534531 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, that Christians believe the Bible to be the word of God has literally nothing to do with my point
My point was we wouldn't sacrifice the Bill of Rights over any one situation, it is too valuable. Our freedoms are bigger than any one person or situation
And in that same way of thinking is how we value free-will. Yeah it would be nice to see a murder stopped or whatever but one situation no matter how big is never more valuable than our free-will.
So just like we may not like someone having a KKK parade, we make that trade-off because Freedom of Speech is too important
And not wanting to be turned into mindless robots is why our free-will is more important than God intervening to stop any one act. Because for God to intervene He would have to kill someone or change how they think or whatever. And God allows us to be who we are,for better or for worse in this life and take the consequences that go with it. And deep down nobody really wants it any different
Whether Christians believe the bible is true isn't connected to this in any way nor does it matter the bill of rights in a man-made document while believers feel the Bible is the word of God. It is simply some things, the bigger picture is always more important
Would we know we were "mindless robots', as you put it, if no one had free will?

What would >we< be missing, if there was nothing there to miss?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#534532 May 15, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
:)

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#534533 May 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post!
So everytime a prophecy is made, freewill goes out the window.
I'll remember that.
Thanks, and it brings up questions that are interesting to see answered.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#534534 May 15, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I reread my post...I did not call it one's imagination...one believes whatever appears to them to be real. Maybe that reality is from the need to believe it is real...I can't speak to that when it comes to someone else.
Again...from my recollection...
From Biblical teaching...nothing else is needed but relying on God. It tells you often that God is all you need.
Again Mike...if believing that one is still connected to a loved one...does that harm anyone? Life is sometimes pretty tough...if "speaking" to a loved one makes it easier and brings comfort...then who are we to question that? All within reason of course...
Maybe someone can justify it biblically but I can't find any scripture that does...maybe I am just not looking in the right places.
Maybe these verses will help Annie.

Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#534535 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS says we need to keep our prayers private, "in your living rooms and churches".
And the atheists applaud him for his genius.
But if someone says gays should keep their activities private, "in their bedrooms", the atheists attack and call intolerance....
Imagine that.
Hypocrisy. That is the essence of the Secular Humanist. I say that from the start when they all burst in here and they show they philosophy for what it is. I just glad they were all here to read the exposed hateful and bigoted laughable fraud of they philosophy that I, and especially you, and others on here exposed them for. Most of the smart ones see the contradiction and run gone or just smart enough to read and weep.

Location hidden

#534536 May 15, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Had a very good day. This is as good as it gets here. Sunny days and for now low humidity. Very thankful as the place I work, a non profit got a big check from a new chain to this area, Wawa. Take it easy.
Glad to hear it brother. Hope the weather and work continues to be good.And I hear ya on the double standards of do what I say not what I do. I think most people see the motivation isnt better discource but its simply a tactic. Thats why I dont respect it. If it came from somebody leading by example it would be different(T) PEACE

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#534537 May 15, 2013
scaritual wrote:

Love does have a common description, I can describe or mention that emotion to literally every person on the planet and they know exactly what I'm talking about.
Bullshit. Love has so many different meanings and so many different ways of showing 'itself' to so many different people.

But the point wasn't that, it was that you cannot show veritable, testable evidence when you feel love.

In turn, one cannot show veritable, testable evidence when you feel God.
That isn't similar to deity beliefs in any way.
Nevertheless that isn't a special pleading, it's just requiring evidence that doesn't rely on a special circumstance in order to believe, or a suspension of reason and logic, or some reference to the "supernatural"<== =which is a meaningless term.
Even you yourself have mentioned your "deity>touch>encoun ter" which you say caused you to believe(there's that pesky free will question again, too).
I never said that God touching me 'caused' me to believe in Him. If I didn't believe in Him, I wouldn't have been praying to Him.

I said that it reaffirmed my faith in Him and established Him as a fact, at least to me.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#534538 May 15, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a memory lapse...how foolish of me...I will try to do better in the future.
please do.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#534539 May 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked you if Jesus loves Satan.
It's bad manners to answer a question with another question.
You are a quadruple offender--you asked four questions.
How about an answer to my question?
What do you think? since you believe Satan and Jesus are myths, use your imagination and answer your own question.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#534540 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh...
So if I were to tell you that you will respond to this post and you do, that means you didn't have free will to do so?
HA !
Gimme a break.
But you don't have the alleged powers that your deity is said to possess in the mythology.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#534541 May 15, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>
Late night?
Nah....We are moving next week and there are a lot of little errands to take care of.....I'll be off line for a few days....

:-)

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#534542 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS says we need to keep our prayers private, "in your living rooms and churches".
And the atheists applaud him for his genius.
But if someone says gays should keep their activities private, "in their bedrooms", the atheists attack and call intolerance....
Imagine that.
What exactly do gays do to you in public, RR?

Were you attacked by a rabid gang of gays in your hood? Did they hold you down and force you to look at paint chips or fabric swatches?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-g7Png3soJvc/UWQt6UN...

The only reason you know I'm gay and the only reason I know you're Christian is because we told each other. That is how it should be, IMO. If we had met at Starbucks; my guess is that we wouldn't know the difference. What either of us do in private should never come up in polite conversation between strangers.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#534543 May 15, 2013
Good evening everyone.

Location hidden

#534544 May 15, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I think it has more to do with free will, and the insistence of Christians that you(Chrisome story in which the deity(Yahweh or the Jesus!) intercede.
You'll( try and say "well, they made a choice, it was free will", regardless of the flood, or that the deity caus
In your religious mythology the deity used to regularly intervene(so the story goes) and then couple that with the resurrection, mythic miracles etc...
Does manipulation or coercion influence by a "deity" affect free will?
I would think it does.
I think we have diff definitions of free will as I think eveyone has it regardless of belief and dont feel circumstances limit free will. There will always be things that impact us or effect us. But free will to me is being able to think for ourselves and to be able to make our own choices. how does God coerce ppl to limit their free will?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#534545 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with my post. My post was about atheist sin this room claiming Goid was nasty for not intervening to stop the Holocaust
How Christians reconcile the Bible to real life has nothing to do with what was being discussed.
Have you just been waiting as long time to talk?
Try to stay on topic
So what you're saying is when the deity decides to flood the entire world because it is wicked and such, that's great that it intervened and why wouldn't it?

Mankind displeased the deity and due to that displeasure it caused the deity, it had to stop and they deserved to die.

But, hey, holocausts, despots, diseases, starvation, natural disasters and all other things that kill or affect man in a negative way are okay, or they must be, since the deity made it clear that what gets action is when the deity is displeased.

Mankind suffers? meh....

Deity displeased? You better build a boat, get ready for famine, pestilence and any number of deity caused retributions.

Of course, none of that happens these days.

Just "way back when".
<the Yahweh> "don't piss me off"

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#534546 May 15, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing that anything that guy puts on becomes a thong.
;-)
Hi Epi !!
LOL.....I think you are right.....Whoa

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#534547 May 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>What do you think? since you believe Satan and Jesus are myths, use your imagination and answer your own question.
Since you believe Satan and Jesus are real, you should be able to answer the question:

Does Jesus love Satan?

Why is it that you refuse to answer?

How about others here?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#534548 May 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you believe Satan and Jesus are real, you should be able to answer the question:
Does Jesus love Satan?
Why is it that you refuse to answer?
How about others here?
Yes. Yes he does.

http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/d30-14/jesus-and...

Location hidden

#534549 May 15, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>What do you think? since you believe Satan and Jesus are myths, use your imagination and answer your own question.
Besides if you answer Ians will claim Catcher wasnt asking you even hypothetically! LOL It does get silly after a while though. I would be more surprised at how interested people that dont believe in God are about our opinions about things they dont think exist. Of course nobody would ever be honest enough to admit the entire motivation is hoping to stump someone cus I guess that would give them satisfaction somehow if a believer wasnt capable of answering every theological question ever posed. So we are left with people feigning curiosity about something they shouldnt care about. I amswer selectively and normally if I think it may bridge a gap if ppl understand where a believer might be coming from. But normally most questions are just part of the Topix game

Location hidden

#534550 May 15, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you're saying is when the deity decides to flood the entire world because it is wicked and such, that's great that it intervened and why wouldn't it?
Mankind displeased the deity and due to that displeasure it caused the deity, it had to stop and they deserved to die.
But, hey, holocausts, despots, diseases, starvation, natural disasters and all other things that kill or affect man in a negative way are okay, or they must be, since the deity made it clear that what gets action is when the deity is displeased.
Mankind suffers
You are in your own world or not following along. My post was in response to unbelievers asking why God doesnt intervene to stop bad things. It has absolutely nothing to do with when God Himself punishes man. If anything you are making my point stronger that for all their feigned indignation, unbelievers dont really want God intervening. Unless I suppose if it is only when they say and how they say ande for who they say

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 864,440
The Christian Atheist debate 17 min HipGnosis 1,984
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 32 min Grunt56 221,990
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 47 min -Stray Dog 6,456
White Lives MATTER 2 hr Poov 77
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr karl44 599,554
News Quiet Fight to Free American in China Jail (Nov '09) 3 hr Big Jim 55
More from around the web