Why Should Jesus Love Me?
high end

Upper Darby, PA

#534447 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, for the life of me I can't find any public thread with SO many posts about the non-existence of leprechauns.
Imagine that.
That's because you're not Irish. You have to be Irish to experience them.
Y'know, something like christians experiencing Jesus.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#534448 May 15, 2013
I understand just fine and your argument is way off. I think you're naive if you really believe Christians here think all these atheists and unbelievers that writing so much claiming the Christian God is a myth, that Christians really think atheists or unbelievers believe the Christian God is a myth. That not make no sense. People don't invest all that writing arguing against a negative. Set up a billboard and title it [prove god don't exist] and see how much writings you get oy!lol!
[QUOTE who="AnnieJ"]<quo ted text>
You seem not to understand why the Christian god is spoke of most often...it is rather logical if one stops to think.
In the US about 65% claim some affilitation with Christianity...either present or past. In the US we are most affected by the religion of Christianity.
If we were 65% Hindu...then we would be discussing the Hindu gods and goddesses. Since Hinduism accounts for only about .5% of the US population it has relatively little affect on our citizens nor on our government.
I find it rather naive for someone not to understand why non-Christians would address a subject that has and still does have such an influence on the attitudes and behaviors of so many citizens of this country. Those attitudes and behaviors have affected the quality of life of those citizens...good or bad.
Christianity and the Christian god has played a role in all of our lives...since that is true...we have the not only the right but the responsibility to discuss a subject that affects how we think...how we live...and the government of the US citizens.
Now...if Hinduism was at around 65% of the population and Christians were at .5%...then I am sure that Christians would be discussing Hinduism at its affects on their lives.
I spoke specifically of US citizens but since the US plays such a significant role in the world...it would also apply to the citizens of this world.
Why the Citizens of the World? You forgetting about Islam? That why your argument is naive. Islam is 23% of the world's population, Christianity is about 33%

In Russia the Muslim population is almost 30%. Actually the Christian population in the U.S is higher than 65%, but I going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

So then just on this billboard alone is over 500,000 writings, so lets just say half is claiming the Christian God do not exist, so that 250,000.

Since the muslim population in Russia is almost 30%, find a forum in Russia or Europe with say 100,000 writings where atheists or unbelievers are claiming the God of Islam does not exist.

Just like Christians have influence in the U.S, Islam have big influence in Russia and Europe. Russia fight a war with Muslims. So then you should be have any problems finding a forum in europe or russia with at least 100,000 writings from atheists and non believers in Islam writing that the God of Islam is a myth.

Europe has lots of internet forums as well, but I no think you going to find it.

Because atheists don't fear the God of Islam like they fear the Christian God Yeshua. Atheists don't argue against Islam so much, because they don't believe the God of Islam is a threat to them. They argue against the Christian God, because the Christian God Yeshua is the biggest threat to they soul, because they think the Christian God real. And that goes for [you], as well writer.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#534449 May 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I take your points about the scriptures being written for the Israelites. That is true of pretty much all of the OT books, so I'm wondering why Christianity still relies so much on them.
I'd say that by using "suppose you" they are making an assumption rather than a definite statement.
However, the murder and mayhem advocated by these scriptures is, ostensibly, what the verses seem to be saying.
Why have a hidden meaning anyway? Why not just be clear about it?
These scriptures are, on the face it, instructions to kill followers of other religions.
Why does the god of the bible have to hide his meaning in such brutal words? A meaning that many of his readers just own't get.
Why can't he inform his followers to love people of other religions?
Anyway, if the bible is full of hidden and abstract meanings that are beyond the ken of the majority, perhaps we should go back to what the Catholics used to do and limit bibles to the select few.
You gotta get past the OT and really dig into the NT in order to understand Christianity.

If you did, you wouldn't ask questions like "Why can't he inform his followers to love people of other religions?", which Jesus clearly instructed us when he said to love your neighbor as you love yourself.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#534450 May 15, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You can be addicted without being dependent and you can be dependent without being addicted.
Since dependence is often present when someone is addicted to a chemical compound, the older definitions and understandings of addiction included dependence, but they are separate phenomenon.
Dependence is not a requisite for addiction, even opiate addiction.
The particular definition you provided here does not support your conclusion.
"Addiction is usually accompanied by...." is not "Addiction is defined as..."
You are of course correct.

But you're posting to the Dimwit, which is like trying to explain gravity to a chicken.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.&#12539;- Robert Heinlein

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#534451 May 15, 2013
so then you should not...
high end

Upper Darby, PA

#534452 May 15, 2013
Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
(c: LOL- Arts and Crafts show .
And Also with you.
~*~
Did you watch the video?
No, but if you post it again I'd appreciate it. This thread moves so quickly and I forgot to get back.
Plus tri and redneck keep giving me a headache so I need to stop and take some pills...lol

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#534453 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh...
So if I were to tell you that you will respond to this post and you do, that means you didn't have free will to do so?
HA !
Gimme a break.
Your prophecies aren't of the divinely inspired type.

Anyway, Ephesians 11:1 says...

"In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will"

Can't be clearer than that. What we do has already been determined in accordance with God's purpose.

I see no free will in there.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#534454 May 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:

I take it as literally as I take something by Homer.
However, there are believers who take every word as the inerrant and literal word of their god.
Then there are those believers who will decide for themselves what is literal and what is symbolic.
True, very true.

Watford, UK

#534455 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't affect free-will unless the people involved were told in advance, wanted to do something different, and were prevented from doing so. As far as I know there is no account of that happening
Otherwise prophesy is simply a glimpse into the future at events yet to take place in current time
Is that a glimpse into the future of events that will definitely take place or that might take place?

Fennario

#534456 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I await your bullshit.
How about this:

"Listen, cause I've got a plan.
Give it up, just don't try to understand"

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#534457 May 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I better give up now.
I realize I will not be able to get through to you.
I'm going to exercise my free will and end this exchange.
I envy that trait in you, Catch. To be able to just turn off a discussion or argument.

I did that today with OCB, didjya see?

Watford, UK

#534458 May 15, 2013
dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU SAY GREAT POST????
what benefits you got from his greatness??
your prophecy now is made,and your free will is out of your living place shed house window
so
your chicken little brain is not able to remember that?
I said that deliberately because I knew it would annoy you.

Aren't I good!

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#534459 May 15, 2013
The atheists on this billboard do.
[QUOTE who="high end"]<quoted text>
No tri, the atheists don't believe in any type of god. The reason that they focus on the one that christians worship is because of that torment and gnashing of teeth propaganda spewed out by christians.
No other belief system does that, afaik.
But if the Christian God is a myth, why you worried about hell torment and gnashing of teeth?? that no make any sense.

If I tell you after you die Santa going to run you over with his sleigh and the reindeers going to kick you azz, you would laugh right? you won't see writings 200,000 plus claiming santa and rudolph the red nose reindeer is a myth.

So why you think atheists spend so much time writings against The Christian God Yeshua torment hell gnashing of teeth brimstone all of that? is not because they think it's a myth, it's because they think it real.

What you trying to pull here writer?? you have better sense than that LOL.

Watford, UK

#534460 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Science? Well, ya. But proper translation and a little but of common sense works better than science, in that regard.
Compared to the bible, science provides a far more detailed and accurate explanation of the universe about us and where we came from.

Beats any translation of the bible.
high end

Upper Darby, PA

#534461 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
...OR...
The Romans realized what they did to Jesus was wrong, accepted Him as their Lord and Savior and adopted the principles of Christianity.
No, it was just time for the Roman Empire to wrap it up and give in.
Let's just hope that the North American Empire doesn't follow its footsteps toward that other god believing religion.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#534462 May 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a question for you: Does Jesus love Satan?
But wait...iyai!!, you is another one.

Why that matter to you??

Does Apollo love Venus??

Does Cat Woman love Thor??

If they myth why you care eh?

Watford, UK

#534463 May 15, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Who should decide if not the individual himself with his own knowledge and understanding?
If you agree everything is not meant to be taken literally, why would you think the best idea is to let someone else dictate to others how to interpret it instead of the individual learning and deciding for himself?
I'm all for personal choice; let people draw their own conclusions.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#534464 May 15, 2013
Khatru wrote:

It does. However a god who punishes people for lack of faith rather than doing bad things seems somewhat debauched. A god who judges people on how they live their lives is far more palatable.
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad." (2 Corinthians 5:10)

Notice it is not just by mistakes, but by our way of life, "whether good or bad".

Why is that? Our actions reflect what is in our heart. You can't seperate the two.
Bongo

Bronx, NY

#534465 May 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How about this:
"Listen, cause I've got a plan.
Give it up, just don't try to understand"
hehehehehe I never met a dumb woman. I was listeninga to man smart woman smarter.

Fennario

#534466 May 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is the point of all this just to argue or is it to try and sway people's attitudes and/or opinions?
Both. I make arguments to sway attitudes and opinions.

But that's only part of the point of all of this. I already provided a list of reasons for unbelievers to be here. Do you need to see it again?

REASONS FOR UNBELIEVERS TO POST ON TOPIX ATHEIST THREADS

[1] Learn from one another. This is atheist school, and we have many gifted atheist posters here.
[2] Sway any possible uncommitted lurkers or future readers.
[3] Practice formulating better and more cogent arguments.
[4] Practice writing skills.
[5] Tap the aquarium glass. Learn by observing the ecosystem of theists that parade through a thread.
[6] Fellowship with other atheists. There haven’t been too many venues for this in the past.
[7] Entertainment - it's fun.
[8] It's the right thing to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Aura Mytha 30,956
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Aerobatty 987,299
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Robert F 687,246
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 14 min RADEKT 286,555
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 3 hr Halle Berry Sister 4,315
8.1 Earthquake Off the Coast of Mexico 4 hr Concerned 3
skype usernames for dirty skyping;) and usernam... (Aug '14) 8 hr Jack Pitan 9
More from around the web