“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#534191 May 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahahaha! You're so right.
Just for shits and giggles, google "Zeus isn't real", "Odin isn't real" and "God isn't real"....
You'll be astonished at the vast number of atheist website dedicated to proving God isn't real...
Hilarious.
I don't believe Zeus is real. You know how much time I've spent proving to people the he isn't?
Zero.
Zeus wasn't the cause of 250 million deaths.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#534192 May 14, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Your understanding is juvenile.
I would have trusted the internist over the drug addict anyways, but I happen to know a little about addiction. Even if I didn't, I can read and evaluate information.
Apparently you can't

It is total ignorance to think opiates don't cause physical addiction

1) Dr Dan Hendrix MD

Opiate dependency is born once the physical addiction occurs
http://www.danheadrickmd.com/opiates/opiate-d...

2) Opiate addiction

" As a result, the person who is addicted to opiates experiences a physical dependence on the drug."
http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/addiction-ty...

2) Prescription opiate use rising among teens

This indicates the person is experiencing withdrawal from opiates as opiates cause physical dependence within the user
http://www.compassionateinterventions.com/dru...

4) Opiates - Dacco Community Education
Individuals using opiate drugs may become both psychologically and physically addicted to the drugs in as little as two weeks

http://dacco.org.temp.realssl.com/ACCORDION/C...

There is no excuse with the information available for any doctor not to know this. You can defend Ians till you are blue in the face. You are wrong

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#534193 May 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude.
Catcher has no soul.
A lot of heart, but narry a soul.
One can easily believe that "dude", but everyone has a soul, each one of which is precious to our Lord and Savior who is not willing that any man perish, including yours. Peace.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#534194 May 14, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
I like shiny things.
I like putting objects on my chest when I lay down. I don't know why. I do it all the time though. NOT POOP! I want to be clear, that was a one time thing.

Location hidden

#534195 May 14, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Adi Jeffery PHY - Phychology today

Physical addiction or psychological addiction Is there a real difference?

There's no such thing as a purely psychological addiction

All in all, the only way to look at Addiction is as both a psychological addiction AND a physical addiction that are inextricably liked through our psyche's presence in the brain, a physical part of the body.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#534196 May 14, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand
Good to see ya:)
Alice/River is among the good, isn't she?

Long Beach, CA

#534197 May 14, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> One can easily believe that "dude", but everyone has a soul, each one of which is precious to our Lord and Savior who is not willing that any man perish, including yours. Peace.
Yeah, that would be really nice.

But I just don't believe any of it.

Embrace the grey.

#534198 May 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Hey Tide, how come you know so much about this stuff?

Location hidden

#534199 May 14, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Physical vs Psychological addiction

Dr David Sack

Physical addiction occurs when a person repeatedly introduces a chemical into their body and, over time, the body becomes dependent upon the chemical.

http://www.promises.com/articles/addiction/ps...

Let me know if you need more information to "process"

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#534200 May 14, 2013
Luke 24:37-40

But they were terrified and affrighted and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

And he said unto them.Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your heart?

Behold my hand and my feet,that is is I myself:handle me and see:for a spirit hath not flesh and bones as ye see me have.

And when he had thus spoken he showed them his hands and his feet.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#534201 May 14, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>you bringing up prayer for your leg to grow back, brings back memories about this lady, Joni Eareckson Tada. Her life is very inspirational, and I think you would appreciate her. Look her up. and if you're moved to, buy this book of hers
http://www.amazon.com/When-Weeps-Joni-Earecks...
That book will put life into perspective for you. It helped me to put the things I was complaining about in life, into perspective.
Thanks Tri but I wasn't complaining about anything. I was just making a point to Skom. The part about prayer for my leg to grow back was just a joke. My leg is gone. It's not coming back. I understood that as soon as the anesthesia wore off. I get by OK without it.

Location hidden

#534202 May 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep

Definitely on my Topix favorite people list

Her sense of humor and approach to life in general in rare in genera. Considering her age and the obstacles she has faced her perspective and light-hearted approach is all the more impressive

Location hidden

#534203 May 14, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> What a weak argument. It's the excluded middle or black and white fallacy. You will only consider two options, when there are certainly more.
So, lets look at that, no deity intervened, mankind stopped Hitler, Stalin helped(and Soviet forces lost from 8.7 million to as high as 20 million plus+ by estimates, and time eventually stopped Stalin.
No deity involved.
What does that have to do with my point?

If there was no free-will then individuals couldn't be responsible for their actions

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#534204 May 14, 2013
Luke 23:34&38

Then said Jesus,Father forgive them for they know not what they do.And they parted his raiment and cast lots.

And a superscription also was written over him in letter of Greek and latin and Hebrew THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Location hidden

#534205 May 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm always good Catcher :)

*crosses fingers behind back*

Location hidden

#534206 May 14, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I like putting objects on my chest when I lay down. I don't know why. I do it all the time though. NOT POOP! I want to be clear, that was a one time thing.
I like it when my cat lies on my chest. She's a very good liar.

Embrace the grey.

#534207 May 14, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
It is not a semantic argument. One can exist without the other due to time and abstinence of using the drug. Eventually the physical addiction can go away, leaving just the mental addiction. That is why one can exist without the other. Or one can become mentally addicted before reaching the physically addicted state. But prolonged use guarantees physical addiction. That is why it is so dangerous to have doctors who don't understand this and think addiction is only mental and the result of someone being mentally weak.
I don't think there are many doctors out there with a poor understanding in this area.

It is better to think of addiction and dependency as separate conditions, even if they are often interrelated.
Skombolis wrote:
It is a rationalization out of ignorance and denial to justify peddling long-term treatment of pain meds without any concern for what the result will be
You lost me. What?
Skombolis wrote:
But anybody who takes opiates for a prolonged period of time will eventually become physically addicted to them. That physical addiction is what causes physical withdrawal.
This is simply a fact
I've known that since I was like 12, except that I've always called it chemical dependence, because that label has far more explanatory power.

Addiction is an old word with a lot of baggage. If we're going to continue to use it effectively, we need to work it in with a modern understanding.

People are addicted to a lot of things for which they have no chemical dependency at all.

Location hidden

#534208 May 14, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for all atheists, but I can say that for myself and many atheists, there is no expectation or belief that a deity is responsible for anything.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
You are missing the point

Obviously since you are an atheist i don't think you actually expect a deity to intervene

But you guys have been making criticisms based on if God did exist

And if He did exist, you guys are claiming that Him not intervening makes him evil or proves He isn't a loving God

Yet you wouldn't actually want Him to intervene unless he only intervened under the scenarios you would personally approve of. Otherwise you would be against Him intervening

You can't have it both ways

You wouldn't want God to intervene and force you to be what he wants you to be and strip you of choice and free-will. Yet you guys claim he should do that to others.

There is a much bigger picture in play than stopping a particular sin or bad event from happening. Doing that would strip man of his very identity, his very freedom of choice, his very personality and thought process

Just like we accept with certain freedoms like the Bill of Rights and free speech it will mean there will also be things that happen that we don't like. But we readily take that trade-off because of how much we value freedom. No one issue is bigger than the Constitution and either we abide by it or we do not. The same goes a thousand-fold for free-will. There is nothing worth the trade-off of mankind having no free will and no freedom of personal thought.

Instead of blaming God (in these hypothetical debates) for not intervening and stopping man from doing bad things, your issue should be with the man who does bad things. The solution isn't to strip away our very identities so as robots no terrible sins can be committed. The solution is to try to make this world a better place where people abide by the greatest commandments such as love your neighbor as thyself

Long Beach, CA

#534209 May 14, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with my point?
If there was no free-will then individuals couldn't be responsible for their actions
The law doesn't inquire whether a defendant was exercising free will.

We are responsible for our actions, unless we are legally insane.

Long Beach, CA

#534210 May 14, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

People are addicted to a lot of things for which they have no chemical dependency at all.
Yeah, like Topix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min Charlie Sheen 263,684
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min River Tam 765,404
Moses never existed 5 min Richies Cool Man ... 565
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min truth 555,158
22 F underwear model!!!! im so horny 25 min tuanatalia 5
kochi magi pawa jabe kothai, tight voda chai. (... (Nov '13) 31 min Sadeka Yesmin 7
How many hubbies enjoy sloppy seconds from thei... 50 min annmssb 4
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 2 hr BottomNow 1,191
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Feb '14) 6 hr Dubai Massage 055... 141

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE