Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#533691 May 13, 2013
tide.....personally I believe religion has very little to do with why people are against homosexuality. I don,t deny some people use religion as a bully pulpit or to further bigotry but imo its not the cause or creating something new. I have never met a single person who was fine with it until religion told them otherwise or didnt form theor opinions from tv and the playgrounds well before religion influenced them. Listen I am not going to pretend the church has handled the issue well across the board and in a lot of cases probably fall somewhere between not helping and making things worse. And that is wrong because even by its own teachings, a sin is a sin is a sin and no sin or sinner is any better or worse than anyone else. it needs to not be si8ngled out as doing that to any other sinner for their sin would never be tolerated. And also the Bible says God is to judge those outside the faith and we are to love everyone. Honestly if we just stuck to the rules it really wouldnt be an issue. id like cont...

Location hidden

#533692 May 13, 2013
Tide....id like to see us "Christians" get better at simply sticking to what we have been taught by Christ and not using faith as an avenue to push personal agendas. there is always room for improvement (T) PEACE

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#533693 May 13, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>but is only 4 words that matter,'Believe and follow Yeshua'. I no care how much different versions of the bible or denominations spinoffs or if sprinkle baptize or dunk or whatever.
God not only did [not] make it confusing, God make it extraordinarily simple.
Yeshua.
Your "confusion" claim, is only one of your many memorized topix talking points excuses, for your unbelief. Many unbelievers use it. is nothing new.
Really?

Why are you running away from my other posts?

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#533694 May 13, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief is for people too lazy to think for themselves
It that enough?
There are many Gods. How do you know? Through spirituality. By the way there are many classes of Gods, from purely spiritual ones to ones in material bodies. Gods are simply other classes of beings.
Before Christianity killed spirituality and replaced it by rationalized book belief people could easily sense these spiritual beings. But they were barred from even talking about that. The burning stakes were not inviting.
Christianity's best argument has always been fear
Nice post.

The Bible is riddled with instructions to fear God.

I guess they fear their god more than they love him. It would explain why it gets used so often and why Christians will often describe themselves as "God-fearing" .

Here's just a small sample of verses instructing believers to fear the god of the Bible..........

Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 25:17

Fear the Lord your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.
Deuteronomy 6:13

For the Lord your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The Lord your God did to the Jordan just what he had done to the Red Sea when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over. He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God
Joshua 4:23-24

Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord.
Joshua 23:14

If you fear the Lord and serve and obey him and do not rebel against his commands, and if both you and the king who reigns over you follow the Lord your God--good! But if you do not obey the Lord, and if you rebel against his commands, his hand will be against you, as it was against your fathers.
1 Samuel 12:14-15

But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.
1 Samuel 12:24

For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.
1 Chronicles 16:25-26

So I continued, "What you are doing is not right. Shouldn't you walk in the fear of our God to avoid the reproach of our Gentile enemies?
Nehemiah 5:9

Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling.
Psalms 2:11

The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.
Psalms 19:9

You who fear the Lord, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
Psalms 22:23

Who, then, is the man that fears the Lord? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him. He will spend his days in prosperity, and his descendants will inherit the land. The Lord confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them.
Psalms 25:12-14

How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you.
Psalms 31:19

Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the people of the world revere him. For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.
Psalms 33:8-9

" Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil."
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#533695 May 13, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Tide2...does that make them evil? I dont think so. What about the people who honestly dont look at someon e gay as any less of a human but think the act is wrong just like they may feel stealing is wrong or anything else against their personal moral code?
I don't use the word evil that much.

It's hard to form a judgement for all people who think that gay sex acts are immoral. I don't know why they all believe it.

The belief itself is stupid.

The belief that stealing is immoral is not stupid. Agree or disagree, one can understand the reason for the belief.

What could be considered immoral about two women licking each other's boxes?
Skombolis wrote:
Does that make them bigots?
We can dispense with that word and just look at their behavior to see if it contributes to harm. If it does, the behavior is unethical. Believing something in private does not necessarily cause any harm to others. Expressing a belief affects other people. Expressing a belief that homosexuality is immoral is known to cause harm. Expressing similar beliefs whether they are slightly more or less offensive is also contributing, since the problem is already so large.
Skombolis wrote:
I dont think so. To me, bigotry or racism first and foremost is about hate and dehumanization. Some people arent comfortable with it and think its wrong. That doesnt make them bad people, its just how they honestly feel. as long as they respect equality and love for everyone we cant demand everyone feels how we do. jmo (T) PEACE
I hope you can agree to this.

Stupid ideas do not hold up to intense scrutiny. Good ideas do.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#533696 May 13, 2013
Lacez wrote:
I've been told you [the Dimwit] like to twist things around and lie about what you and others have said. I see that the person who warned me was right. I never said anyone "never had anything worthwhile to say." I said that his comment to mine was irrelevant to the topic that was being discussed.
You've hit the nail on the head. The Dimwit is an insufferable liar that will distort your words, then call you the liar. And don't bother asking him for evidence when he insists that you said this or that. The Dimwit is a faith based thinker and doesn't do evidence.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#533697 May 13, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I said there is nothing in the bible that says free will came from God. You then go on and say that God gave man free will.
Please show me where in the bible it says this.
G/E K, I know that your query was directed to Apples, but the Bible tells us many things without necessarily saying things in the direct words that many challenge it to say, example in the scriptures below.......

Acts 2:37-41
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. 41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Notice the last verse said.........they that gladly received his word were baptized.........this implies that there were some that did NOT received the word preached that day and obviously rejected it, and this was an act of their freewill to do just that, as was the reverse to obey what they heard.

Yes..........people do have freewill to except or reject the Word of God, your final souls destination is in YOUR hands and nobody else's.

Location hidden

#533698 May 13, 2013
Tide....I agree that life experience generally trumps conditioning. We normally find out people for the most part are just people. Same wants and loves and concerns.. Yes there are good and bad people in the world but that is defined by their actions and not how they were born. And even if it was a choice, people rarely fit a demonized profile. Meeting people who were gay was what changed my mind. i also grew up in a well-to-do and unfortunately pretty racist area. because my folks werent racist and i made black friends as early as pre-gradeschool i never had to overcome that. Then again, at the same time one bad experience can be all it takes for someone looking to validate their feelings. so i agree someone has to go into it with at least the desire to be somewhat open-minded to see if what we think matches up with reality. Change and especially change for the better is not easy but it certainly is possible. (T) PEACE

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#533699 May 13, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 13
7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.
I cannot identify with working 'for' eternal life... not even with hope... but only working for my Father in heaven... here on earth.
Blessings and Peace >>>Lawest<<<
<quoted text>
My friend, >>>Lawest<<< I do not debate salvation, but know it... and what I share is because I do. Otherwise there would be no meaning behind working for my my Father in heaven, who has never failed me... even if sharing in WSJLM. Not living in this world as many do, but in the spirit of his kingdom within, there is no fear of who is false, or what to believe. It is written...“8 “The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31
Perhaps someone reading posts sometimes will understand what is being said... and benefit. Many need encouragement at this point in time at hand...
I have not been in for 3-4 days... so whatever your week-end brought your way I trust it was fruitful and peace filled.
Blessings and Love always.
Yes I've noticed your absence over the last few days my friend, you have been missed, welcome back.(C:

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#533700 May 13, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Steve...when I signed in here today I was about 2000 posts behind...after reading backwards a few pages...decided maybe I don't want to read further.
This post caught my attention...
Can you direct me back to where LeLe admits she is not a Christian and never has been? I am curious to read it.
Annie, I have never said such a thing.

I do not identify myself w the religious right or the
Lawlest Clearwater and Q's of the world.

I speak out against them and in doing so, I (have) become satan's daughter, a liar, a hypocrite, "cindy", a fake and of course the
sharpest insult to date- I am not a Christian..

Skom has the right to think of me as all of the above..
It truly matters not one bit to me.

Location hidden

#533701 May 13, 2013
Tide...i agree that the more intense the scrutinty, the more the truth of a situation will be seen. I dont think its stupid that some people are uncomfortable with homosexuality, I just think if they met some decent human beings who happen to be gay they might see things differently as far as the persons themselves. Now as for thinking the act is wrong, there are next to zero univeral moral absolutes and people do have a right to feel how they do and as long as their beliefs dont cause harm to others than to each their own

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#533702 May 13, 2013
bmz wrote:
Greetings to G_O_D and BT42
Looking at the topic of this thread, I can safely say that Jesus did not love his own self, so why would he love others?
Best wishes
BMZ
Hello BMZ!
Long time no see.
Hope you are well...

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#533703 May 13, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Annie, I have never said such a thing.
I do not identify myself w the religious right or the
Lawlest Clearwater and Q's of the world.
I speak out against them and in doing so, I (have) become satan's daughter, a liar, a hypocrite, "cindy", a fake and of course the
sharpest insult to date- I am not a Christian..
Skom has the right to think of me as all of the above..
It truly matters not one bit to me.
These things you have named yourself have been manifested as the truth by your own words and actions, we have simply named you for what you truly are.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#533704 May 13, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 24
36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them,“Peace be with you.”
37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost.
38 He said to them,“Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds?
39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”
40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet.
41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them,“Do you have anything here to eat?”
42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.
44 He said to them,“This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”
Love and Peace always Sister Friend... just bowing thru!
So glad you just bowed through ~ that is a wonderful posting to share with us... Love and Peace always to you too, Sister Friend xxx

Location hidden

#533705 May 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You've hit the nail on the head. The Dimwit is an insufferable liar that will distort your words, then call you the liar. And don't bother asking him for evidence when he insists that you said this or that. The Dimwit is a faith based thinker and doesn't do evidence.
HL is going to be upset you piled on to her gossiping email that got Lacez piling on. LOL...just kidding, that would defeat the purpose of all her double standards!

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#533706 May 13, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
tide.....personally I believe religion has very little to do with why people are against homosexuality.
I can't respect that opinion.
Skombolis wrote:
I don,t deny some people use religion as a bully pulpit or to further bigotry but imo its not the cause or creating something new.
Christians killed witches because they read their Bibles and saw a command to do so. No better authority was telling them not to. Individual instances of murder may have been influenced by various personal motivations, but I cannot imagine that there would have been a campaign of disgruntled neighbor murders without Biblical justification.

Homophobia in America came from Christianity. It came from the Bible. Our entire country grew with a majority of people believing that homosexuality was an abomination, not just a little weird.
Skombolis wrote:
I have never met a single person who was fine with it until religion told them otherwise or didnt form theor opinions from tv and the playgrounds well before religion influenced them.
You cannot escape the influence of Christianity in America. It's in the DNA of our culture, and always has been.
Skombolis wrote:
Listen I am not going to pretend the church has handled the issue well across the board and in a lot of cases probably fall somewhere between not helping and making things worse. And that is wrong because even by its own teachings, a sin is a sin is a sin and no sin or sinner is any better or worse than anyone else. it needs to not be si8ngled out as doing that to any other sinner for their sin would never be tolerated. And also the Bible says God is to judge those outside the faith and we are to love everyone. Honestly if we just stuck to the rules it really wouldnt be an issue. id like cont...
I'm not making the argument that homophobia can't exist without religion or Christianity. I want to be clear about that. Ignorant cultures produce these phenomenon like clockwork. Anything different is usually marginalized. What I'm saying is that Christianity is responsible for making homophobia a societal problem in America. The only reason homophobia is still a problem is due to Christianity. Where once you could attribute this to ignorance, it's now willful ignorance, powered by faith.

If you live long enough you may even come to agree with me, that the more we skeptics criticize your religion, the better it will become. If not, you'll probably attribute it to Jesus or some such. But really, it's due to social pressure. That's the main force that changes cultures.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#533707 May 13, 2013
hick-up wrote:
Man has unearth'd many lost civilizations of which no recorded record is known to exist. Many too are found at the bottom of the sea. Prior to their discovery they were nothing more than legend passed thru the generations verbally. And yet they exist.
That's irrelevant to a discussion of why there is no record of any miracles having occurred outside of the bible. You'd pretty much need every community within hundreds or thousands of miles to have dived into the sea for there to be no corroborating records of what would have been a topic of great interest anywhere.
hick-up wrote:
Or perhaps they [the alleged miracles of Jesus] were witnessed only by illiterates.
Yeah, that's probably it. But not just illiterate. Mute, too.
hick-up wrote:
Perhaps those with the means to record simply didn't believe.
So you're suggesting that the miracles actually occurred, that the only literate people present didn't believe they were miracles, and the only believers present were illiterate?

No, that doesn't strain credulity much. That's very reasonable.
hick-up wrote:
It seems no sooner than one belief is vanquished, another takes it's place.
That doesn't suggest anything to you about the veracity of those beliefs or the ease with which people make and believe these kinds of claims?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#533708 May 13, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Tide....id like to see us "Christians" get better at simply sticking to what we have been taught by Christ and not using faith as an avenue to push personal agendas. there is always room for improvement (T) PEACE
You need to turn this into a Christian meme.

I would support it.

"There is always room for improvement."

That's straight out of my own personal philosophy.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#533709 May 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. twas I who PM'ed Lacez, told him to be careful, that SKOM twists things ..
.. if any of my other friends ask me about SKOM, I'll tell them my experience ..
.. friends do that for each other ..
Thank you for your honesty.
I do appreciate it.
:)
And I am sure Lacez does too.

The thing is--Skom goes for the jugular- and won't let
go till you kiss his ego- or you just leave the thread..

I see you tried to engage him -again- a little while ago..lol.
Then you realized what a mistake you had made-- there's just no making
sense out of his anger.

Location hidden

#533710 May 13, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> These things you have named yourself have been manifested as the truth by your own words and actions, we have simply named you for what you truly are.
She knows it has nothing to do with anything she listed. Thats just manipulative nonsense. She has refused to answer for over 2 years whether she believes the Bible. It is why I knew to ask her recently. I guarantee she wont answer it now. All the game playing in the worlld wont change that. I personally dont care what she believes or considers herself. I just dont like that she used to quote Bible verses to me to start arguments because of my beliefs only to discover through talking to her she doesnt even believe the Bible. I am smart enough to read between the lines. It is also how I knew to ask her the question originally. I wasnt the least bit surprised when she didnt answer then either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Liam 560,648
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Stilgar Fifrawi 779,019
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 16 min MAKEWORLDPEACEUID... 4,929
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 23 min who 265,577
Moses never existed 29 min KiMare 852
The most important reasons for not buying the n... 59 min john beriin 1
Gay snapchat names 1 hr Darragh 184
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 2 hr daveo69 72
More from around the web