Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#533113 May 12, 2013
God has always been. Where did you come from?
[QUOTE who="Lacez"]<quot ed text>
And where did your god come from?
That is the only question I need ask to ruin your entire comment.
It was utterly stupid of you to make it.
See, atheists are so because there is no evidence for your god.
There is evidence for air.
There is no evidence for your god.
and where did the air come from? poof! right? that's the logic of the atheist, poof! and there was air LOL.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#533114 May 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You're repulsive.
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>
Well ...that should clear up any misconceptions the present gay crowd had as to where you [really] stand on homosexuality. Repulsed much?
You told on yourself Ians ...
.. RR's post to Lasez was repulsive. Turn it around a bit ..

.. Mrs. So&So swallows and takes it up the b ___..

.. it's sad when love is placed on such a level ..

TO ALL MOTHERS

&#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829;

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#533115 May 12, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>First, I dont really care. I merely explained why it would be natural for someone to assume an atheist wouldnt have a spiritual experience based on accepted definitions of the word "spiritual".Secondly if it is possible then then you should be able to provide the definition you feel is applicable and show what dictionary defines it as such. If your argument is you can make up your own definitions for words then I will concede under those circumstances you can claim anything you wish. I could claim I drove a paper plate to work. But since it is customary for people to use accepted definitions of words when conversing with one another I am not sure your point. I know in a courtroom you wouldnt use such a practice as making up your own definitions so why do it when it comes to this?
If you don't care, OK.

But believers don't own spirituality, period.

If you think you do, show me why and don't just vaguely refer to "accepted definitions."

Hermosa Beach, CA

#533116 May 12, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Sure. I'll supply a meaning of the word, contained within the definition that applies to every single person on the face of the earth.
No boundaries.
<quoted text> It won't require a redefinition of the word at all, however, it will require clarification of the word,*spiritual*, and what that definition encompasses.
Adjective: spiritual spi-ri-choo-ul
1. Concerned with sacred matters, religion or the church
"lords temporal and spiritual"; "spiritual leaders";
- religious
2. Concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul
"a spiritual approach to life"; "spiritual fulfilment";
- unearthly
3. Lacking material body, form or substance
"spiritual beings"; "the vital transcendental soul belonging to the spiritual realm"
4. Resembling or characteristic of a phantom
"spiritual tappings at a seance";
- apparitional, ghostlike, ghostly, phantasmal, spectral
http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl...
We can look at the #1 definition given, and it states, or suggests, that the word *spiritual* isn't a concept exclusive to religion. It uses the word *sacred* and that's before "religion or the church" is mentioned(a minor detail, but detail nonetheless). Lets look at the word *sacred*.
Adjective: sacred sey-krid
1.Concerned with religion or religious purposes
"sacred texts"; "sacred rites"; "sacred music"
2.Worthy of respect or dedication
"saw motherhood as woman's sacred calling"
3.Made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
"the sacred mosque"; "sacred elephants"; "sacred bread and wine";
- consecrated, sanctified
4.Worthy of religious veneration
"the sacred name of Jesus";
- hallowed
5.(often followed by 'to') devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose or person
"a fund sacred to charity"; "a morning hour sacred to study"; "a private office sacred to the President"
http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl...
The #2 definition of *sacred* applies here, relates directly to spiritual, and also, again, does not imply or mandate an exclusive religious/deity specific use.
So, when we look at *spiritual* and understand what that definition utilizes as descriptors in defining the word *spiritual*, it's easy to see it encompasses a wide range of meaning, and is not a word that only those of religious/deity beliefs can claim to possess.
The word *spiritual* belongs to all humans, regardless if they have a religious/deity belief, or not. Nontheist or theist.
No boundaries.
Please notice I didn't have to redefine the word at all - and I could go more in depth - but what was pointed out is sufficient. There are other descriptors that further enhance and point to the fact that *spiritual* is not confined to a religious context. I only clarified, and there are other uses of the word *spiritual* that I didn't cover here.
<quoted text> I did use recognized definitions of the word. I merely clarified the scope of what that word encompasses.
I understand why Serah, felt as she did, and you(since you asked for the explanation/definition) as well.
The word *spiritual* is is narrowly restricted in religious tradition and claimed to be sole property of those with religious or deity beliefs. Religion has hijacked the word and will assert that *spiritual* can only be utilized or experienced by people with religious or deity beliefs.
As if *spiritual* is categorically and absolutely denied to people who don't have religious/deity beliefs.
That's not the case.
Hope that helps.
Thanks. For my part, I prefer not to engage Skom, who has an obsessive nature, in wordsmithing and parsing dictionary definitions.

I would prefer to describe to him spiritual experiences I have had, without the need of religion or deities.

I elect not to accept his rules of engagement.

With Established Harem

#533117 May 12, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Lol...i guess even a pretend doctor understands how relapse works! Congrats, thats the first medical thing you have gotten right since coming to this thread! But you must really be senile if you still dont remember my incarceration wasnt drug related! Why are u getting so worked up? And whats that smell? You just soiled yourself didnt you?
http://www.12steps4recovery.com/principles-be...

Hermosa Beach, CA

#533118 May 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Christians won't get to define spiritual in dictionaries for much longer. We're already starting to redefine the word. Dictionaries, which are descriptive and not prescriptive - that is, they tell how words are being used, not how they must or ought to be used - and lag ten or twenty years behind actual usage.
I'll define spirituality for you
For starters, disabuse yourself of your Christian notions for a moment. Spirituality has nothing to do with spirits - holy or otherwise. It is a psychological experience, and a way of looking at nature.
The sense of spirituality, like all conscious sensations, is the result of a neuropsychological faculty distributed through the brain and capable of producing a certain type of phenomenal experience. Like all other such faculties, it is naturalistic in origin - and a gift of evolution.
This sense of spirituality is a rich and robust experience - part sense of mystery, part a sense of awe, part a sense of connection, and part a sense of gratitude. It is a wonderful feeling, and its expression and experience should be nurtured for its own sake.
But it shouldn't be misinterpreted, as it so often is. One is only experiencing one's own mind, not ghosts. It's an internally generated feeling, just like the experiences of lust, humor, beauty, goodness, or value. The sense of spirituality is as natural as any of those, and like them, is merely another adaptation in man, one that makes life better when we partake of it.
As usual, your priests have mangled this matter, and sucked the life out of it. For you, spirituality is believing in spirits, ghosts and angels, and dreaming of some nonexistent realm after death.
For me, spirituality is the breathtaking realizations that arises from a sense of connectedness with existence. This is my world, my planet, and my species. Science has shown us so much about our connectedness to all life and all matter.
How can you call Christianity spiritual when it teaches that man is fallen, that animals are soulless meat bags under our dominion, and that the earth is not expendable?
If you're a Christian, you have been taught to believe those things, following which you couldn't possibly have a sense of what I call spirituality.
Thanks. Skom wants to rely on words in a book. Sound familiar?

Hermosa Beach, CA

#533119 May 12, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're repulsive.
<quoted text>
.. RR's post to Lasez was repulsive. Turn it around a bit ..
.. Mrs. So&So swallows and takes it up the b ___..
.. it's sad when love is placed on such a level ..
TO ALL MOTHERS
&#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY &#9829; &#9829; &#9829; &#9829;
Happy Mother's Day to you!

With Established Harem

#533120 May 12, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>First, I dont really care. I merely explained why it would be natural for someone to assume an atheist wouldnt have a spiritual experience based on accepted definitions of the word "spiritual".Secondly if it is possible then then you should be able to provide the definition you feel is applicable and show what dictionary defines it as such. If your argument is you can make up your own definitions for words then I will concede under those circumstances you can claim anything you wish. I could claim I drove a paper plate to work. But since it is customary for people to use accepted definitions of words when conversing with one another I am not sure your point. I know in a courtroom you wouldnt use such a practice as making up your own definitions so why do it when it comes to this?
"A broad, inclusive definition is: spirituality is that which gives meaning to one's life and draws one to transcend oneself. Spirituality is a broader concept than religion, although that is one expression of spirituality."

http://notes.utk.edu/bio/unistudy.nsf/935c0d8...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#533121 May 12, 2013
hick-up wrote:
And you are living proof of what you say.
Yes, I am. And so are you.

Incidentally, you have yet to write a post of any substance to me. Perhaps you have never written one to anybody - I wouldn't know.

I have yet to see one with a statement of fact, a reasoned argument, or an instructive link. All I see are your angry opinions about how you don't like or approve of me.

Good.

And I'll tell you why: it means my arguments are hitting home. You see the merit in them, and feel threatened by them.

My arguments agitate you not just because they are insulting, but because they are credible. You don't react to Dr. Shrink, and he is as offensive as a fart in the nostrils. Neither do I.

The difference? Shrinkage is not credible. His posting is clownish. That is why neither of us take him seriously, and neither of us are offended. Almost nobody is.

But I make you see red and in double. And all you can do about it is fire of a series of short, unflattering, content-free posts in retaliation - an expression of your rage and impotence.

Try not to burst an aneurysm. Drooling is not flattering to anybody.

Now go pray for your fruits of the spirit.

With Established Harem

#533122 May 12, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>i see you enraged that i caught you with you undies down! u call me dirty minded because i caught you in the act, because you right wing xtain fundie is showing your true nature. You not talking Scripture food , that is i caught you with your undies down lil Whisper! The panty streak mark is showing again and stench ....BWHAHAHAHHAAA
.. LIL WHISPERS never hurts anyone, leave her alone. She posts scripture, Alice posts quotes ..

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#533123 May 12, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
It's about time.

Now, where are you?

Location hidden

#533124 May 12, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
M.F. Rich: "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!"
Thomas Paine
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me!.. No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."
Of course, the comment alleged to have been uttered by Paine was debunked and shown to be a falsehood.

Way back in the 19th century.
http://www.thomaspainesociety.org/ingersoll.h...
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/ingertp3....

Location hidden

#533125 May 12, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/T0N0LORUMAROFEJGO/post 532893
<quoted text>
Good point, which is an impressive achievement for a spherical object.
If anybody is still uncertain what the logical fallacy of special pleading looks like, this would be it. From Wiki
"[Special pleading] involves someone attempting to cite something as an exemption to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exemption"
It's invoking a double standard.
The problem with calling the god uncreated and undesigned is that you need to account for how such a thing as an infinite god - the most complex thing imaginable - could assemble itself without help. The very arguments for there being a god, which are arguments of the unreasonableness that sufficiently complex things need the help of intelligence to exist, are perforce more potent when applied to creator gods than to any universe that they could create.
<quoted text>
Nice post.
Faith is such a beautiful thing.
Yeah.

Faith is what convinces a small child that there is a monster under the bed, even when they've been shown that isn't a reality.

Thanks.

Location hidden

#533126 May 12, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have to say it, the logical conclusions of your unending stupidity of atheism dictates that you believe all came from naught. Because without an Intelligent Designer or GOD, then you the atheist believes something, even the air accidentally and randomly appeared making the universe and people.
Not even a 5yr old is that stupid. And to doubt you believe that, well really is to deny you're atheist. Which you probably are a fraud.
And I dare you to use secular science, not ID, secular science to back your belief. Secular science, laughs at you. And I can supply many secular scientists that studies where people and planets come from, that would laugh in your face because of your unending stupidity. That's not ad hominem or an insult, I truly believe an atheist is the stupidest person on the planet. You can believe what you want to about the Christian.
If you can't rebut the posts made in response to your previous attempts, don't be angry and resort to insult.

Maybe you should pray.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#533127 May 12, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>God has always been. Where did you come from?[QUOTE]and where did the air come from? poof! right? that's the logic of the atheist, poof! and there was air LOL.
You just admitted that you think everything went "poof" too.
You say everything has to have a beginning yet you claim your god has no beginning.

You're destroying your own argument.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#533128 May 12, 2013
Serah wrote:
And GOD has provided enough food to feed us all ~ should we thank man(kind) for letting people starve.
Welcome to this episode of "Blame Mankind First." Today, we will posit the existence of a race of mortal men of limited power and influence, and of an omnipotent god that says that it loves them. Then we note that many of the people are starving despite this all-powerful, loving god. Who shall we blame? If we're Christian, we blame mankind, because we must NEVER EVER find fault with the god, however little it does to help.
hick-up wrote:
Interesting view point Ians ... However I am sure there are others besides Christians that are mature enough to accept responsibility for the actions & inadequacy's of the human race. It's too bad you can't number yourself among them.
Are you referring to the Blame Mankind First program? That has nothing to do with maturity or accepting responsibility. That is merely demeaning man to depict him as lost and hopeless, and in need of a savior.

Of course, it backfires when you blame mankind for failing to do something that the god could do more easily, more thoroughly, and immediately. When that is pointed out, then it becomes necessary to put ALL of the blame on men. What good is a savior that is immoral, indifferent, or impotent?

==========

This is another of your content-free posts. It is merely a ham-handed attempt to sneak in the suggestion that Christian misanthropy is a sign of maturity and responsibility rather than the manifestations of a deeply pessimistic ideology that I have been arguing that it is.

You provide no rebuttal to that claim. You merely insert an unsupported contradiction in a way that you hope won't be noticed.

Then I come along, shine light on what you are doing, EXPLAIN why I think that you are wrong and I am right, and await your schoolyard retorts.

This is why I call you impotent. You've got nothing but your frustration.

Montreal

#533129 May 12, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>"A broad, inclusive definition is: spirituality is that which gives meaning to one's life and draws one to transcend oneself. Spirituality is a broader concept than religion, although that is one expression of spirituality."

http://notes.utk.edu/bio/unistudy.nsf/935c0d8...
Yup, I'm spiritual, I don't have to believe in a god or follow a religion to be spiritual.

Location hidden

#533130 May 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Thanks. For my part, I prefer not to engage Skom, who has an obsessive nature, in wordsmithing and parsing dictionary definitions..
My pleasure, and I don't mind engaging Skom on that level.

If he'd actually looked up the word and read the definition, then understood what the word encompassed, he would have never made that request.

So, yeah, it becomes tedious and involved when it is explained, but the result, I think, is worth it.

And you know I don't necessarily expect Skom to derive anything from that explanation. But, who knows...
Catcher1 wrote:
I would prefer to describe to him spiritual experiences I have had, without the need of religion or deities.
I elect not to accept his rules of engagement.
I tend to agree, but, since the request was made of myself to clarify, I didn't mind doing that and showing just exactly why the word isn't the exclusive territory of the religious.

It belongs to everyone, no deity belief required.

Montreal

#533131 May 12, 2013
<quoted text>It aint necessarily so wrote, " Welcome to this episode of "Blame Mankind First." Today, we will posit the existence of a race of mortal men of limited power and influence, and of an omnipotent god that says that it loves them. Then we note that many of the people are starving despite this all-powerful, loving god. Who shall we blame? If we're Christian, we blame mankind, because we must NEVER EVER find fault with the god, however little it does to help. "

hick-up wrote, "Interesting view point Ians ... However I am sure there are others besides Christians that are mature enough to accept responsibility for the actions & inadequacy's of the human race. It's too bad you can't number yourself among them."

Are you referring to the Blame Mankind First program? That has nothing to do with maturity or accepting responsibility. That is merely demeaning man to depict him as lost and hopeless, and in need of a savior.

Of course, it backfires when you blame mankind for failing to do something that the god could do more easily, more thoroughly, and immediately. When that is pointed out, then it becomes necessary to put ALL of the blame on men. What good is a savior that is immoral, indifferent, or impotent?

==========

This is another of your content-free posts. It is merely a ham-handed attempt to sneak in the suggestion that Christian misanthropy is a sign of maturity and responsibility rather than the manifestations of a deeply pessimistic ideology that I have been arguing that it is.

You provide no rebuttal to that claim. You merely insert an unsupported contradiction in a way that you hope won't be noticed.

Then I come along, shine light on what you are doing, EXPLAIN why I think that you are wrong and I am right, and await your schoolyard retorts.

This is why I call you impotent. You've got nothing but your frustration.
I wonder, if I asked what people like Lawlest what they thought of the "correctional rape" happening in Africa, what would they answer?
I'm going to see.

Montreal

#533132 May 12, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
[Blah blah blah]
What is your opinion on "correctional rape"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 35 min truth 183,651
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr River Tam 92,792
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 667,983
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr RiccardoFire 46,042
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 286,102
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Joe Fortuna 979,486
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 4 hr MUQ2 1,105
More from around the web