Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#533083 May 12, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
2000 years ago the waning myth of Judaism was spiced up with a bit of paganism to create Christianity.
A dying god coming into human flesh.

A common element in religious mythology, predating the Christian version by many centuries and in some cases a thousand years and more.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#533084 May 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, Hiding and Clementia back the same day after long absences!!
Lucky us.
But look out for the conspiracy theorists/paranoids....
I am not Hiding.

Won't you come home?

Some stable somewhere

#533085 May 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome back!
Sorry.

Some stable somewhere

#533086 May 12, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Could you?
Yes.

Some stable somewhere

#533087 May 12, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The divider in the hot spring needs repairs!
I can seeeee you!
It's purposeful.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#533089 May 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That is correct, because there is no god to do it.
But if there were, it would also have let people starve. Given its unlimited power, it would be more to blame. That's the point.
Yet you will blame mankind first, and completely absolve your god from any blame, because that's what Christians typically do. Would you like to call me a bigot for noting that obvious truth?
By the way, it would be a little easier to feed the world if your church wasn't making birth control more difficult.
Blaming humans and absolving their god of all liability is what these people do.

Can you imagine the furore if our courts imposed upon society the sort of laws/penalties that their god does?

Imagine the courts sent people to prison for wearing mixed fabrics or ordered menstruating women to stay indoors for seven days.

Christians would think our judges insane.

Yet when they see their god making the same pronouncements they see it as unmediated love.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#533090 May 12, 2013
hick-up wrote:
I still say you should wheel yourself into the pool.

You need to mind your mouth and beware your talk.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#533091 May 12, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law."
~ Thomas Paine

M.F. Rich: "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!"

Thomas Paine
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me!.. No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

_-Alice-_

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#533092 May 12, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>Where is you home?
Bwhahaha
Tourette's?

_-Alice-_

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#533094 May 12, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
M.F. Rich: "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!"
Thomas Paine
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me!.. No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."
I like quotes, don't you?

Random people wrote words on paper or the walls of caves.

I write words. I like words.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#533096 May 12, 2013
Happy

MOTHERS

DAY.....

My Mother

Who fed me from her gentle breast,
And hush’d me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kissed press’d?
My Mother

When sleep forsook my open eye,
Who was it sang sweet hushaby,
And rock’d me that I should not cry?
My Mother

Who sat and watch’d my infant head
When sleeping on my cradle bed,
And tears of sweet affection shed?
My Mother.

When pain and sickness made me cry,
Who gaz’d upon my heavy eye,
And wept for fear that I should die?
My Mother.

Who dress’d my doll in clothes so gay’
And taught me pretty how to play,
And minded all I had to say?
My Mother

(continued)

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#533097 May 12, 2013
(continued)

Who ran to help me when I fell,
And would some pretty story tell,
Or kiss the place to make it well?
My Mother

Who taught my infant lips to pray
And love God’s holy book and day,
And walk in wisdom’s pleasant way?
My Mother.

And can I ever cease to be
Affectionate and kind to thee,
Who wast so very kind to me,
My Mother?

Ah! no, the thought I cannot bear,
And if God please my life to spare
I hope I shall reward thy care,
My Mother.

When thou art feeble, old and grey,
My healthy arm shall be thy stay,
And I will soothe thy pains away,
My Mother.

And when I see thee hang thy head,
‘Twill be my turn to watch they bed,
And tears of sweet affection shed,
My Mother

For God who lives above the skies,
Would look with vengeance in his eyes,
If I should ever despise,
My Mother

Ann Taylor

Thought For The Day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#533098 May 12, 2013
Today's Prayer

Dear God, I pray for every mother in the world today. Some are saints, angels on earth--loving, nurturing, giving, guiding; others are lacking and need some help; still others are not with their children or have abandoned them--maybe because of serious personal problems or because of sin; still others have have given their little one for adoption by a family who so desperately wants a child to love and care for. What a difficult and selfless act, to realize that you are not able to provide what a child needs and think of that baby above all. I pray for comfort and blessing for these mothers too. God, you know every need and every heart. I pray that you will meet those needs today. I pray that you will bless those who deserve honor this day as mothers. I pray you will work in the lives of those who may not be so deserving, but are in need of mercy. Mothers are so influential. Oh how lives and futures are affected by mothers! Lord, please grant wisdom, strength, and strong faith to mothers. Thank you, in Jesus' name, amen.

Prime time with God

Fennario

#533099 May 12, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
scaritual wrote:
"Intelligent Design" is not a scientific theory. Intelligent design is a futile exercise in an attempt to portray the Universe as a place intended solely for the benefit of humanity. It presumes to explain absolutely everything as proof of a "higher order" or intelligent tinkerer having a hand in the existence or creation of everything.

Until it comes to the necessary and logical conclusion concerning the proposed "designer", in that if everything in the Universe has a purposeful and created design, then what designed the creator?
Good point, which is an impressive achievement for a spherical object.

If anybody is still uncertain what the logical fallacy of special pleading looks like, this would be it. From Wiki

"[Special pleading] involves someone attempting to cite something as an exemption to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exemption"

It's invoking a double standard.

The problem with calling the god uncreated and undesigned is that you need to account for how such a thing as an infinite god - the most complex thing imaginable - could assemble itself without help. The very arguments for there being a god, which are arguments of the unreasonableness that sufficiently complex things need the help of intelligence to exist, are perforce more potent when applied to creator gods than to any universe that they could create.
scaritual wrote:
The position of "Intelligent Design" amounts to: "The Universe, and life couldn't have happened without an intelligent designer, but it's different for my deity and my deity didn't require a infinitely more complex designer to design it because... cause... um... because he's my DEITY!, yeah that's why! Nothing is impossible for my deity!" [truncated]
Nice post.

Faith is such a beautiful thing.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#533100 May 12, 2013
Encouraging Words.....

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Philippians 1:6

K-Love

Fennario

#533101 May 12, 2013
scaritual wrote:
You know, they may have considered, "Ba'alMart", initially, but that sounds like it could be a sporting goods outlet or a sex toy shop... Which would be completely unrelated to the Yahweh!, since he has no balls and

no concept of a sphere apparently
That's really got to hurt.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#533102 May 12, 2013
Didn't read overnight....Will catch up later

Have a great Mothers Day!!

((*L-))

Fennario

#533103 May 12, 2013
dr Shrink wrote:
I don't breath gays or lesbian farts
I think you do if you use the public air.

Fennario

#533104 May 12, 2013
scaritual wrote:
I'm not sure why you would think "spiritual experiences" are confined only to the adherents of religion, and since this exchange concerns your religion, is exclusive to that religion.
Lacez wrote:
I don't need to learn love from 2'000 year old texts that vouch for stoning tons of different types of people to death. I already know love.
Good for both of you.

Christians claims for themselves must all be subject to scrutiny. It's what rational skeptics do.

Their claims to spiritual superiority? I don't see evidence of it. Most of them seem like children in that area to me.

Their claims to a higher love, or even to knowing what love is? I don't see it.

Their claims to a higher morality? That's laughable.

It's helpful to point out periodically that these are just the claims that the Christians make about themselves, always unsupported, and often contradicted by evidence.

These claims hadn't been challenged much in the past, and many people accept such ideas uncritically. How many unbelievers think that a church upbringing or a religious school will generate better people? Those assumption deserve to be questioned out loud.

There's nothing spiritual about fantasizing about imaginary ghosts and imaginary realms. And where is there love in the bible? I don't mean the word, but an act recognizable as love. I know about the mother who gave her baby to a stranger rather than see it cut in half. That was love. And the good samaritan was loving.

But the bible is mostly just lip service to love with almost no examples of it.

Their claims that the church is charitable is in this category, too, by the way. I keep hearing about it, but there's no evidence that the church spends even 10% of its tax-free revenues on helping the needy.

Fennario

#533105 May 12, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Using any online dictionary you prefer, could you copy and link a definition of "spiritual" that you feel applies to you or an atheist as far as an experience you have had? I personally dont care if people within your subset choose to redefine the word. I am simply making the point that it would be natural for Serah to assume you have not had spiritual experiences based on recognized definitions of the word
Christians won't get to define spiritual in dictionaries for much longer. We're already starting to redefine the word. Dictionaries, which are descriptive and not prescriptive - that is, they tell how words are being used, not how they must or ought to be used - and lag ten or twenty years behind actual usage.

I'll define spirituality for you

For starters, disabuse yourself of your Christian notions for a moment. Spirituality has nothing to do with spirits - holy or otherwise. It is a psychological experience, and a way of looking at nature.

The sense of spirituality, like all conscious sensations, is the result of a neuropsychological faculty distributed through the brain and capable of producing a certain type of phenomenal experience. Like all other such faculties, it is naturalistic in origin - and a gift of evolution.

This sense of spirituality is a rich and robust experience - part sense of mystery, part a sense of awe, part a sense of connection, and part a sense of gratitude. It is a wonderful feeling, and its expression and experience should be nurtured for its own sake.

But it shouldn't be misinterpreted, as it so often is. One is only experiencing one's own mind, not ghosts. It's an internally generated feeling, just like the experiences of lust, humor, beauty, goodness, or value. The sense of spirituality is as natural as any of those, and like them, is merely another adaptation in man, one that makes life better when we partake of it.

As usual, your priests have mangled this matter, and sucked the life out of it. For you, spirituality is believing in spirits, ghosts and angels, and dreaming of some nonexistent realm after death.

For me, spirituality is the breathtaking realizations that arises from a sense of connectedness with existence. This is my world, my planet, and my species. Science has shown us so much about our connectedness to all life and all matter.

How can you call Christianity spiritual when it teaches that man is fallen, that animals are soulless meat bags under our dominion, and that the earth is not expendable?

If you're a Christian, you have been taught to believe those things, following which you couldn't possibly have a sense of what I call spirituality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Rosa_Winkel 56,056
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Hangman 971,790
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 45 min MUQ2 44,961
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 1 hr WaxBabydoll 423
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 106,068
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr andet1987 2,331
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Michael 650,325
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr Xcentric in Vidor 445,915
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 21 hr akon mason 70
More from around the web