“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#528977 May 2, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
Yes, but we ALL start out as immature Christians, don't we?
No, we don't. We are born unbelievers - immature atheists
LAWEST100 wrote:
Jesus said that as long as we do what he say, we are his friends
That's a red flag for an abusive relationship. From "Is the Christian 'Relationship with God' Healthy?" at www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/essays/...

"This article will endeavor to show that, even if taken at face value, the Christian “personal relationship with God” is abusive and unhealthy in the extreme and deserves to be terminated. To do this, it will list the most typical red flags of an abusive human relationship and show how well they fit the theistic version.

"Controlling behavior - The manifestation of this trait of abuse in Christianity is evident – in order to have a relationship with someone, God demands nothing less than total control over every aspect of that person’s life.

"Jealousy and possessiveness - In both the Old and New Testaments,[the god] reacts with great anger to any suggestion that a person might not be completely devoted to him alone

Fennario

#528978 May 2, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
God's Word lets us know who the enemies of the cross are, hypocrites, pretenders and such.
And this is classic cultic behavior. The out-group is the enemy, and members of the in-group are to remain aloof from them. From "Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups" at http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis....

• The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

‪• Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

‪• The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel

• ‪ The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members

• ‪ The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.

• ‪ The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#528979 May 2, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
I did say 'the world'- has become 'Babylon' my brother... not single out any specific city here...
But, just look at the 'one city' effects - where none look different, and all have to have the same entertainment to false religions - and nothing under the sun is new in their way of life in them. But don't look behind the doors where all which sit on the many waters of the earth, with their ports of trade that buzz like bee hives going out of fashion where only mammon rules and counts the costs.
All I can say at this point in time is thank God for the lintels and the blood of the lamb who was slain before the foundations of the world... or none would be rescued. Plus he knows who the innocent are - besides any chosen - among humanity, and the rest...? Sounds a bit like the promised land in sight doesn't it Brother!
Thank and praise him for the blood of the lamb and for life everyday my friend, I do realize that you were talking about an analogy comparison in general to the world system of sin as a whole, it's just that end time Bible prophetic events have always been a thing of interest to me and others, and many of us have wondered why the U.S. doesn't seem to be prominently mentioned in the last days, but that aside, it is only important that we live in the here and now as these things will unfold in the pre-ordained time to come, we have to be careful how we walk to the course of this world.

Blessings.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#528980 May 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You seriously need to get a clue.
Pot meet Kettle.

Fennario

#528983 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hitler hated Christians, and hated Jews even more. He hated Jesus, he saw himself as a god. Get real.
Hitler owed everything to Christians. He would have been nothing without them.

Try talking a nation of secular humanists into supporting a psychopath who wants to exterminate Jews. Try telling these things to a nation of humanists:

[1] "Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”- Adolph Hitler

[2]“I say: my Christian feeling tells me that my lord and savior is a warrior. It calls my attention to the man who, lonely and surrounded by only a few supporters, recognized what they [the Jews] were, and called for a battle against them, and who, by God, was not the greatest sufferer, but the greatest warrior...”- Adolph Hitler

[3]“I am convinced that I am really a devil and not a Christian if I do not feel compassion and do not wage war, as Christ did two thousand years ago, against those who are steeling and exploiting these poverty-stricken people.”- Adolph Hitler

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#528984 May 2, 2013
Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter which scripture we quote- or try to enforce- It all comes down to our hearts motive.
Do we correct each other due to love for them and for Christ-
Do we try and tell the non believer because we feel LOVE for the person? or just because we think we are right- and don't like to be told we are not?
God knows our motives and what trips us up- He guides the willing into being His servants in His way andfor His purpose.
To do less- is in error. Which is also sin~ But that sin is counted against us----not against those we are trying to show God.
Some people may not ever feel God's invitation- but we are to treat each person as ONE He is seeking- and abide in how He asks us to present Him .
~*~
1 Peter 1:18 For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver. 19 It was the precious blood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God. 20 God chose him as your ransom long before the world began, but he has now revealed him to you in these last days.
21 Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And you have placed your faith and hope in God because he raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory.
22 You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. Love each other deeply with all your heart.
An interesting point, the Bible does warn against using his Word deceitfully, but only God knows the heart and the purpose as it is not really for us to judge anothers reason for conveying scripture unless he /she is so far off course that it needs to be pointed out, also some will find it best and more honest to sometime come right out with pointing out what we may be anothers wrong approach instead of speaking in riddles or dancing around so to speak, correcting someone else.

When conveying God's Word, we should definitely do it to correct out of the spirit of love and not malice, but the Word should also be brought forth in authority and firmness to drive home the point better, there is nothing in error about that as Jesus laid it on the religious hypocrite of that day according to the Bible, and he never held back in pinning them as hypocrite, pretenders and liars as well, pointing it out to them the error and hypocrisy of their ways directly to their faces, sometime the spirit brings the Word in stern rebuke and chastisement, and truly BLESSED is the person who can receive such and take it in their hearts allowing it to clean them up and correct them on the inside without becoming offended with God over it.

Peace.

Fennario

#528985 May 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Then homosexuality is not a sin... or are you going to claim that only what YOU [LAWEST] choose to call "fornication" is a sin.
As he will tell you, LAWEST is spirit led. He has the mind of his god controlling him, which gives him the power of discernment. He knows that this is true - that his god is speaking through him - because he feels good about every law that the spirit tell him is still "in," but only those.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#528986 May 2, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
What's amazing is the fact that people like IANS along with many of the other atheists that have paraded through here over the life of this thread claim that they were once Christians but are no longer. But when it's pointed out that that's exactly the way it was with Hittler they come out of the wood work screaming "no no, Hittler was always a Christian, he was never an atheist that turned his back on God and Christianty".
It's really very funny to watch.
And as RR said. I believe it's because it's their twisted way to try and do anything they can to try to make Christianity look evil.
Good evening RA, and nope........not only have anything changed in your absence, but for the reasons that you have observed in your post, some might say that it has become worse.

I'm glad that your health has improved and it's good to see you back. Blessings.

Fennario

#528987 May 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
Do you have to understand ?
No, but I want to, and try to.
G_O_D wrote:
Do you have any hobbies, IANS ?
Yes. Right now, I am an active bridge enthusiast. Why do you ask?

“Jesus is coming soon”

Location hidden

#528988 May 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is what meade him just like most Christians.
It may have "Meade" him like other Christians, but it didn't MAKE or MADE him like other Christians, lol.

Fennario

#528989 May 2, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
The motivation to be a Christian, may be fear.
Of course it is.
trifecta1 wrote:
you're forever damned to spiritual fiery hell
And there you have it, the Scary Chicken On The Stick With Jingly Bells! Oogah boogah!

Fennario

#528990 May 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Show me your god by any method at the time and place of your choosing.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Not on the Internet. But I could do it by showing Him to you if we were in the same room.
I shudder to think what you want to show me.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#528991 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
As he will tell you, LAWEST is spirit led. He has the mind of his god controlling him, which gives him the power of discernment. He knows that this is true - that his god is speaking through him - because he feels good about every law that the spirit tell him is still "in," but only those.
Which just happen to be the Laws he(they) finds easy to obey.

Same old story, same old song and dance, my friend.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#528992 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yes. Right now, I am an active bridge enthusiast. Why do you ask?
Never got into cards myself. I don't understand it but if it brings you pleasure and cause no harm, I applaud you.

Fennario

#528993 May 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
I like books. I collect them for various reasons.
It is like having a shelf of worlds to explore. Maybe like knowing I have a few hundred channels on cable. I may live to read them all, I may not. To me it doesn't matter.
I know how you feel.

I had an incredible personal reference library until we expatriated. I accumulated it in the eighties. It was mostly philosophy, mathematics, the sciences, the humanities, art and gardening - almost no fiction.

It also included a lot of cassettes and VHS tapes - stuff like the lectures of Joseph Campbell, Noam Chomsky, Terence McKenna, and Alan Watts.

I left it all behind - gave it to a young couple with kids. It became superfluous with the advent of the Internet. I think that they didn't want their kids on the Internet.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#528994 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Books to me are people in print. My library is like a city of people. Some I will meet and like, some I will dislike, some i will fall in love with and many more that I will never get the chance to know.

That these people span the centuries I find very interesting and awesome.

Does that make some kind of sense ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#528995 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course it is.
<quoted text>
And there you have it, the Scary Chicken On The Stick With Jingly Bells! Oogah boogah!
Some say displeasing the FSM will result in an eternity of swimming in Ragu.

Ramen!

“Love much, trust none”

There

#528996 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
I know how you feel.
I had an incredible personal reference library until we expatriated. I accumulated it in the eighties. It was mostly philosophy, mathematics, the sciences, the humanities, art and gardening - almost no fiction.
It also included a lot of cassettes and VHS tapes - stuff like the lectures of Joseph Campbell, Noam Chomsky, Terence McKenna, and Alan Watts.
I left it all behind - gave it to a young couple with kids. It became superfluous with the advent of the Internet. I think that they didn't want their kids on the Internet.
Joseph Campbell is as close to my way of thinking as anyone ever has.

I watched his lectures and just thought, "Yep, Yep, Yep."
That doesn't mean that it is correct, we could just have similar mental disorders. <smile>

Fennario

#528997 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Bible was not written as a work of science nor was its purpose to describe the workings of the physical world.
I disagree.

It contains the "science" of its day. I tried to do for ancient man what science tries to do today: explain the natural world. It tried to account for the origins of earth and the heavenly bodies, the existence of separate land masses and oceans, the diversity of life, and the origins of man. It attempted to explain natural disasters like plagues and droughts, the origin of the races and languages, labor pains, and the rain. The flood myth was likely an attempt to account for seashells on mountaintops.

It's just all wrong. We have a better form of science now with real knowledge.

Fennario

#528998 May 2, 2013
You show us tremendous mood swings here. One day you are amiable and relatively constant, the next, emotionally labile and abusive. And the latter seem to last for hours, not days or weeks.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here when I attribute that to alcohol rather than your endogenous neurochemistry.
Assumptions? Unsupported assumptions with attendant certitude are the sine qua non of religious faith. My assumptions are evidence based and amenable to change pending new evidence.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your assumptions are "evidence based"?! What evidence do you have that I drink beer (or any alcohol) during the day?(I gotta see this one.....)
That wasn't an assumption. It was a speculation. I didn't say that I knew that you were drunk, only that you behaved like you were. I acknowledged that it could be endogenous cycling, but gave you the benefit of the doubt that you might only be drunk.

And I didn't comment on times. I don't know what times of days you post. If your erratic posting was in the daytime, that would be evidence that you may be drunk in the daytime.

It seems a little odd that you named a specific intoxicant when I didn't. You seem to have a mental image of the activity that I didn't suggest.

Now that you mention it, where's your evidence that you don't get drunk in the daytime and the nighttime, too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min pusherman_ 778,495
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Tony17 560,538
Couch Potato Alert 19 min yon 11
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 27 min yon 4,900
Gay snapchat names 1 hr ray 176
Moses never existed 1 hr Khatru 834
Incest: Horny and looking for good stories :) (Nov '13) 2 hr lokito 11
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr WasteWater 265,472
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 10 hr risque 137
More from around the web