Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#528496 May 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
There is no evidence for what the bible says that is not in the bible. If it's from another source, it's evidence of what that source says.

For example, there is nothing in any Topix post that offers evidence for what the bible says. There may be opinions about what it says here, but that is not evidence of anything actually in the bible.

If you want to insist that your bible does not mean a literal dome over heaven, and that anybody who disagrees is misunderstanding the bible, you need to use the bible and only the bible to do that, and you need to find a scripture that unambiguously affirms your claim. Plus, there can be no contradictory scriptures.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Wait a sec, you do what you're telling me not to do all the time.
You'll quote the bible as saying "the circle of the earth", them you'll use a non-biblical source to 'prove' that means a flat disc.
Don't be such a hypocrite.
A dictionary? You may use a dictionary to verify that the words in your version of the bible were translated properly. Once you are satisfied that the translation you are using is actually the Christian bible, then you are done using exogenous sources. You need to determine what that bible says and means using the bible, not commentary about it.
Bob

Seattle, WA

#528497 May 1, 2013
71. Jesus is the Apostle and High Priest of our confession - Heb. 1:3
72. Jesus is preparing a place for us in heaven - John 14:1-4
73. Jesus is the Light of the world - Rom. 9:5
74. Jesus has explained the Father - John 1:18
75. Jesus was crucified because of weakness - 2 Cor. 13:4
76. Jesus has overcome the world - John 16:33
77. Truth is in Jesus - Eph. 4:21
78. The fruit of righteousness comes through Jesus Christ - Phil. 1:11
79. Jesus delivers us from the wrath to come - 1 Thess. 1:10
80. Disciples bear witness of Jesus Christ - John 15:27
81. Jesus died for us - 1 Thess. 5:10
82. Jesus died and rose again - 1 Thess. 4:14
83. Jesus was a ransom for many - Matt. 20:28
84. The Christian dead have fallen asleep in Jesus - 1 Thess. 4:15
85. Jesus rendered the devil powerless - Heb. 2:14
86. Jesus is able to save completely - Heb. 7:25
87. Jesus came to serve - Matt. 20:28
88. Jesus came to be a high priest - Heb. 2:17
89. Jesus came to save - John 3:17; Luke 19:10
90. Jesus came to preach the kingdom of God - Luke 4:43
91. Jesus came to bring division - Luke 12:51
92. Jesus came to do the will of the Father - John 6:38
93. Jesus came to give the Father's words - John 17:8
94. Jesus came to testify to the truth - John 18:37
95. Jesus came to set us free from the Law - Rom. 8:2
96. Jesus came to die and destroy Satan's power - Heb. 2:14
97. Jesus came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets - Matt. 5:17
98. Jesus came to give life - John 10:10,28
99. Jesus came to taste death for everyone - Heb. 2:9
100. Jesus came to proclaim freedom for believers - Luke 4:18

GOD ( Jesus ) really does love you.

Fennario

#528498 May 1, 2013
“If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost.”- Robert Ingersoll

"The Bible was written by the same people who said the Earth was flat." - George Bernard Shaw

“The Bible is not the verbally inspired, inerrant word of God; it is just a collection of contradictory, discrepant books that were written by superstitious ethnocentrics who thought that the hand of God was directing the destiny of the Hebrew people.”- Farrell Till
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I truly do not care what some self-deluded atheists think of the bible. Don't waste your time.
Thank you for sharing. I'll keep that in mind if and when I ever communicate with you privately and individually.

Fennario

#528499 May 1, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty obivous you do too cause you responded to it.Sure does not take much to light your polit.lol
I know that I pick on your posts a little, but it's not personal. I may not think much of your religion or scripture, but I do think well of you. You're a kind and gentle spirit. I got that from reading your non-religious posts.

Fennario

#528501 May 2, 2013
How does any of this support your position that the bible definitely does not suggest that a physical dome sits over a flat earth? Wasn't that your position. I claimed that the bible indicated exactly that to many people for centuries, and supported it with a Google link showing multiple illustrations of a snow globe: http://snipurl.com/26x9l1j . Scaritual provided another.
But you said that neither of us understood the bible, and that you knew better. We're still waiting to see upon what basis you made that claim. Surely you don't think that the scripture that you just quoted does that - or do you?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There you go again, using a non-biblical source to 'prove' your point. This is getting old. How about a little common sense?
Why wouldn't I use a non-biblical source? My point at that moment was not what the bible says, but what people have interpreted it to mean, which was evidence that your bible was repeatedly understood to be depicting a snow globe world: flat and domed.

If we want to discuss what the bible actually says and means, we have to use the bible and only the bible. If we wish to discuss what people have understood it to mean, we have to go to those people.

Fennario

#528502 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Say you're in the middle of a desert, k? Now look all around you, all you see is sand - in every direction, in all places. K? Look at the horizon. It's arched, not flat.
Was there a point that went with this? You do this a lot. You think that whatever point you may be imagining is self-evident and doesn't need to be stated explicitly. It does.

Do you know what flat means in the context of a flat earth? It does not mean perfectly flat, as in no local maxima or minima, and no curvature. It refers to the shapes that can be created from a flat surface without connecting the edges to one another or adding holes. These are called open surfaces to distinguish them from surfaces with no edges, such as the surface of the earth.

Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SurfacesWit...

The first and third images on the left are topologically equivalent closed surfaces - no edges - and neither is flat. One can be transformed into the other without joining parts or drilling holes.

The middle surface on the left is also a closed surface, but is topologically distinct from the first and third. You cannot generate it from them without either rolling them into a cigar shape and connecting the ends, or drilling a hole. From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/top... :

"In mathematics, the study of the properties of a geometric object that remains unchanged by deformations such as bending, stretching, or squeezing but not breaking. A sphere is topologically equivalent to a cube because, without breaking them, each can be deformed into the other as if they were made of modeling clay. A sphere is not equivalent to a doughnut, because the former would have to be broken to put a hole in it. Topological concepts and methods underlie much of modern mathematics"

The three surfaces on the right are all topologically the same. Any can be transformed into the others just with deformation. No breaking or connecting is necessary.

Even the bowl shape is flat in this sense, since like other planar surfaces, it has edges, and a top side and a bottom that are distinct domains not connected except by traversing the edge. The biblical earth is in this set. That is what is meant by flat. It's edges might be elevated to hold in the oceans. And its surface may be deformed with mountains and valleys. But is has a top side, an underside, and edges.

Fennario

#528503 May 2, 2013
How does any of this support your position that the bible definitely does not suggest that a physical dome sits over a flat earth?

< crickets >

I guess that you're conceding this point, then? I have yet to see anything from you supporting your insistence that the bible does not describe a physical dome over a flat earth as I said it does, and as many others have interpreted it to say.

Fennario

#528505 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
'Alcohol soaked mind', huh? Lol, ok IANS. Ok. Nice ASSumptions. It's an atheist hallmark.
You show us tremendous mood swings here. One day you are amiable and relatively constant, the next, emotionally labile and abusive. And the latter seem to last for hours, not days or weeks.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here when I attribute that to alcohol rather than your endogenous neurochemistry.

Assumptions? Unsupported assumptions with attendant certitude are the sine qua non of religious faith. My assumptions are evidence based and amenable to change pending new evidence.

Fennario

#528506 May 2, 2013
What can bible study yield that is anything like that? Nothing at all, which is why I rejected Riverside Redneck's comparison of the benefit of studying to neuroscience to studying his bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You're stupid, man. I never made that claim.
What claim, maggot?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sigh... The "comparison of the benefit of studying to neuroscience to studying his bible".

Dumb ass.
Is that a claim to you? It's not even a sentence. It needs a predicate - a verb and its modifiers, and an object if the verb is transitive. If that is a claim, what is the contradictory claim?

Here's an example of a claim: The comparison of the benefit of studying to neuroscience to studying his bible is valid.

Notice the predicate. It says something about the subject that might be or might not be correct. Compare that your your useless verbal string, which makes no claim about anything.

Here's an example of the counterclaim: The comparison of the benefit of studying to neuroscience to studying his bible is invalid.

Now try again. Dumb ass.

[Rests and catches breath from pushing boulder uphill]

Fennario

#528508 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Prove it - right here on Topix - that you have hands.
No one can.
But they ask "Prove god exists!"
O_o
Do you think that that is a valid comparison? Nobody can prove anything about their physical structure over the Internet that is not necessarily true of every living person.

But I can prove that there is no god assisting people with a mustard seed of faith to move mountains. There is not a single report on the Internet or elsewhere of a mountain being moved that way.

And I can prove that prayer is not an effective treatment for medical conditions - or I can direct you to pares affirming that. If that is not sufficient for you, you are free to repeat the experiments.

I can also prove that no omniscient, omnipotent god that wants us to know, love and worship us exists, nor one that protects us from harm. Look at what just happened in Boston, and in Newtown before that.

How much "proof" do you need?

Here's a claim, dumb ass: The comparison of proving that hands exist over the Internet and proving that your god exists - and implying that the inability to do one one affirms that the other is also impossible - is invalid.

Fennario

#528509 May 2, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
Faith based things are not something that I have to back up.
Your standards are too low.

Fennario

#528511 May 2, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
So then if it means nothing to you, disregard it when you're told your soul will suffer eternal damnation when you die rejecting the Son of YHWH Jesus Christ. It means nothing to you, so then you should not have an issue with being told that right? good.
I don't believe it, but I have an issue with you repeating it, and I recommend that you be criticized or ridiculed whenever you do.

I don't believe that "God hates fags" either, but I have an issue with pastor Fred Phelps promulgating it, and I recommend that that be dealt with in the same way.

Fennario

#528513 May 2, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>OK. Now. Well you do practice a religion. You may not want the title of being religious, but what you say do not trump LAW. In this United States, Atheism/Secular Humanism, is a Religion.
U.S. Supreme Court
TORCASO v. WATKINS, 367 U.S. 488 (1961)
367 U.S. 488
"[ Footnote 11 ] Among religions in this country which do not teach what would generally be considered a belief in the existence of God are Buddhism, Taoism, Ethical Culture, Secular Humanism and others. See Washington Ethical Society v. District of Columbia, 101 U.S. App. D.C. 371, 249 F.2d 127; Fellowship of Humanity v. County of Alameda, 153 Cal. App. 2d 673, 315 P.2d 394; II Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences 293; 4 Encyclopaedia Britannica (1957 ed.) 325-327; 21 id., at 797; Archer, Faiths Men Live By (2d ed. revised by Purinton), 120-138, 254-313; 1961 World Almanac 695, 712; Year Book of American Churches for 1961, at 29, 47."
TORCASO v. WATKINS, CLERK.
APPEAL FROM THE COURT OF APPEALS OF MARYLAND.
No. 373.
Argued April 24, 1961.
Decided June 19, 1961.
So you can write until you full up a library, you can't refute the Law. And the Law states you have a religion.
There is no need to refute the Supreme Court. It decisions are meaningless outside of the domainof American law.

The US Supreme Court has no jurisdiction over the dictionary. It can only define how it uses words, and what existing laws mean. The Supreme Court cannot make an elephant into a mollusc by declaring it one, and even if it could, it would only be so in America.

Congress declared that marijuana had no medicinal benefit. From Wiki:

"Congress has made a determination that marijuana has no medical benefits worthy of an exception," Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in the opinion [in Gonzales v. Raich]."

So what? It doesn't make it so. You cannot legislate truth, just law. And even if you could, it wouldn't be so outside of America.

Fennario

#528514 May 2, 2013
Lacez wrote:
Oh IANS...I am so glad that we settled that little feud we had a while ago. I can now go back to enjoying your great posts.
Me, too, and thank you.

I think that you misunderstood me. It happens.

Fennario

#528516 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When you say 'most', you're stereotyping.
If that's the definition of stereotyping - and it most assuredly is not - then stereotyping is valid, since most people want their children to be happy, most people live indoors, most people have had a headache, and most people wear clothing.

Try again.

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

#528517 May 2, 2013
Oh no ...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#528518 May 2, 2013
<quoted text>
I know that I pick on your posts a little, but it's not personal. I may not think much of your religion or scripture, but I do think well of you. You're a kind and gentle spirit. I got that from reading your non-religious posts.
(((Ians)))

Fennario

#528519 May 2, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
You did not answer the question. Prove to me that writer went to germany, and I will prove God. I don't believe him lol.
What question?

Here's a question for you: do you think that an action and an object are comparable? For example, do you think it is equivalent to ask someone to prove that he bit into an apple last week, and to ask him to prove that he has teeth?

By the way, who is asking you to prove that your god exists? My guess is that when you hear that, people are telling you nicely that you can't, so STFU, and not really asking for anything from you.

Fennario

#528520 May 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
So ask MrChar to prove what's in his mind, something non physical that nobody could prove.
Why? How is that relevant?

Incidentally, I know some of what was in his mind. I read it in his post. Why are you making this so bizarre?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#528522 May 2, 2013
XpressPage wrote:
I thought you were humans on here trying to learn and be nice, but I can see that you guys are here to bash one another, so have fun!!!
Im out
take care of your mean hearts folks!!!
Awee not all of us a hardnoses.Stick around you might find something of interest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Lonestar 93,075
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Richardfs 979,549
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min kent 668,095
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 21 min USA-1 39,226
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rob Ford 286,116
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Sky Writer 31 183,699
--- Pres TRUMP 100% Match to ANTICHRIST, TRIB --- 3 hr Haha 2
More from around the web