“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#527566 Apr 30, 2013
Name appears on post wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!! Thanks!! That guy had so many hugs!! And thanks for your hug, also!! And I love the prank call!! And those crows are so special. I love the awareness and intelligence that non-humans possess.
One of my toads, when she was too small to climb in the water bowl, always would wait for the big toad she lived with to start climbing into the water first, and every time he began climbing in that direction of the water bowl, she would jump on his back so that he would carry her. And when he was finished absorbing the water to get a drink, he would begin climbing out, and ALWAYS she would make sure she climbed on his back again in order to get out of the bowl with him.
I love all the creatures! And surely they will go to Heaven, I just know it. God wouldn't create something with the capacity to think and feel, only to serve a purpose temporarily. They have to have souls. What would Heaven be without your crows and my toad children?
We spent 5 years in a camper-van, when my husband wanted to start showing me a lot of Australia. They call it Oz. It's a big place, with population now 27 million. But for 2 years of that 5 we stayed in Queensland. It's full of cane toads with the wet tropics, but we didn't know them. When at night they gathered in a ring round a tap in the light, we just loved watching them close up. We were told the next day we were silly... they were a pest! A friend had to go to hospital and asked if for 3 months we could stay in his farmland home. It was real aboriginal territory. The loo [ toilet,] had a resident b-i-g green frog, so made him a great pool and fern rockery under the wash basin. Even if we carried him outside, he would find his way back, to under a closed lid! But he insisted, and was NOT going to move his water house! So we had to learn to cover him with clean toilet paper so he wouldn't watch - and on the flush - I think he thought he was in a paradise water fall hanging on like glue. Found out the owner had a little hole under the door like a doggy door for him... and so he literally lived there as his pet.
Creatures in heaven my friend? Well they were in paradise, and everyone of them as tame pets, so cannot imagine any place called paradise would be any different. God did create all with mankind as their guardian, so there's a lot to answer for with all the cruelty. But it is good to see those pockets of a better life for many, and their welfare outside of zoos too. Little wing - our crow - is doing well here, and we are very attached. Love hurts, hey?
God Bless.
Name appears on post wrote:
Instead of leaving a big red X on my post, could you tell me WHY you disagree, whomever you are?

Don't worry both those things. A bit like being a kid in class and getting a star, but think we've grown up by now, and only kids still use them. We all get judged, good, bad and ugly sometimes by them, so don't feel alone there, OK?
A few smiles to finish off...
&li st=PL2xJspzvHg5lRqm4XBdLrEEUux L91-6cp&index=32

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Until again my friend.~~Big Smile~~

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#527567 Apr 30, 2013
Hello...
>>>Ash<<<
>>>Nick<<<
>>>Chess<<<

&li st=PL2xJspzvHg5n2W7yLJqF-MrXXL pMFi-dL&index=1

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#527568 Apr 30, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Hello...
>>>Ash<<<
>>>Nick<<<
>>>Chess<<<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pcNuktxE2-AXX&list=PL2xJs pzvHg5n2W7yLJqF-MrXXLpMFi-dL &index=1
Ho.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#527569 Apr 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We're discussing "vault" and "dome", well the "vault" of heaven is a crucial concept. The word “firmament” appears in the King James version of the Old Testament 17 times, and in each case it is translated from the Hebrew word raqiya, which meant the visible vault of the sky, which is space - the universe, that bible calls it "the heavens".
You forgot to cite your source, which I stumbled onto at http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm , and which contradicts you. Where does your bible say clearly and unambiguously that it is not referring to a physical dome or vault? Nowhere. But it does do the opposite, as your own source attests:

"If these verses are about a mere illusion of a vault, they are surely much ado about nothing ... Other passages complete the picture of the sky as a lofty, physical dome. God “sits throned on the vaulted roof of earth ...[Isaiah 40:22].”... Job 22:14 says God “walks to and fro on the vault of heaven [chuwg].” In both verses, the use of chuwg implies a physical object, on which one can sit and walk."

Here's more evidence against your position :

Genesis 1:6 says, "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters."

Job 37:18 says, "Have you with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten mirror?"

Sorry, but you're wrong. Your bible does not support your claim that the vault or dome referred to in it is not a physical structure.

And as we just saw, all of your extra study of it has produced no knowledge. Your pronouncements of what it means are your opinions, and not very good ones at that.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#527570 Apr 30, 2013
high end wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the Hanukkah song better than the hanukkah story.
Shlm, with a little bit on the side.
I didn't know the story either... just know that Epi enjoys some things.
Shalom to you too.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#527571 Apr 30, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ho.
Yo!

Columbus, OH

#527572 Apr 30, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo!
How are you, Peace?

Fennario

#527573 Apr 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You can think I'm wrong about the scriptures all you want, just remember that I'm not the one reading them like a novel, you are.
You read them as if they are correct. That's a confirmation bias, and an error.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Foundations of the earth", for example, is not a literal foundation of brick, mortar, concrete and rebar. I can't fathom why you would think it's literal.
You do the same with the "pillars of the earth", and the illustration you posted showed your mental image of literal pillars, a literal dome and a literal foundation
Your bible supports a belief that there is a physical dome across the sky, and that the earth sits on pillars.

The fact that the same bible might be used to argue the opposite does not mean that you have any extra understanding of it, or that people who choose to believe the opposite of your beliefs are definitely wrong.

That claim indicates that you do not understand your bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's your inability to understand the bible that makes us not care what you think or post.

From your source at http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm again:

"When I first became interested in the flat-earthers in the early 1970s, I was surprised to learn that flat-earthism in the English-speaking world is and always has been entirely based upon the Bible."

There you go. Your bible can be used to argue that the earth is flat. And you have produced nothing definitive that shows that they are wrong to interpret the bible that way. Science has, but you and your self-proclaimed superior knowledge of the scriptures have not.

Your interpretation of your bible is simply wrong. Your years of extra study have yielded nothing.

Fennario

#527574 Apr 30, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same the respect we once had for each other I am burying the hatchet.
Fresh start, OK ?
Deal. The past is forgotten.

Fennario

#527575 Apr 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh c'mon, man... That verse is about Satan speaking with Jesus and you wanna lower it to a natural, literal state.
You don't get to change the meaning as you see fit.
The word 'kingdoms' does not refer to geographical places, it's a metaphor for earthly powers.
None of your bible's mythology is literally true. The god in it is a fiction representing the laws of nature as understood by primitive men, and it's resurrection and rebirth are well known metaphors for spring and the return of growth.

Fennario

#527576 Apr 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
SERAH, in all fairness, AIN never begins the personal insult game, they're launched by the opposition. Believers interpret his challenges to their faith as personal insults. They're not ..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Never"? Ha...
My new nickname is Dung....
From IANS....
Are you insane or just drunk? Your connection to reality is tenuous.

Fennario

#527577 Apr 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm not the one that started calling names
Yes you are. It began with your use of the phrase "deceitful worm"

Why don't you know that? Did you suffer an alcoholic blackout.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#527578 Apr 30, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
How are you, Peace?
Hey Chess, remember me... Irrira? Not that I was never a pw. Howz the house now, and yourself?

Columbus, OH

#527579 Apr 30, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chess, remember me... Irrira? Not that I was never a pw. Howz the house now, and yourself?
I do.

The house is done and I am well.

Thanks for asking.

Fennario

#527580 Apr 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Noted that Catholicism is falling in Mexico and neglected to add that it's because Protestantism is rising.
Thank you for your opinion. You have not established that the rise in Protestantism accounts for the attrition of Catholics. In fact, the opposite can be shown. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Mexi... :

"Roman Catholics are 82.7% of the total population, down from 96% in 1970." That's a drop of about 13.3%. The pie chart at the top of the same page indicates that the fraction of non-Catholic Christians is 9.7%. Even if that number were 0% in 1970, it still only accounts for 2/3 of the lost Catholics.

This is the kind of thing that you don't do. You just blurt out unsupported opinions.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Mexico is over 95% Christian
Thank you for your opinion.

The same pie chart contradicts you.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#527581 Apr 30, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I do.
The house is done and I am well.
Thanks for asking.
Good to see you!
Can't forget OYE...?
Some folks we remember well.
Glad you are safe and well... thru time!
You're welcome Chess, and g'nite from across the oceans.
6-30pm Tues here.[ Booked up 2nite.]

Fennario

#527582 Apr 30, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
Incorrect.

The root word for raqiya` is raqa, which means to spread or hammer out something such as one does with metal. That ancient Hebrews believed that is exactly what was done is obvious from Job 37:18: "Has thou with him spead out the sky, which is strong, and as a molton looking glass."

This also is the interpretation given to the word in the Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures known as the Septuagint, which preceded the canonical Christian writings by a couple hundred years and is sometimes quoted in the Christian scriptures.
There the Greek word stereoma, which indicates firmness, was used. And it is this Greek word from whence the Latin word firmamentum originates.

Firmamentum is used in the Vulgate, Jerome's 4th century Latin Bible, for the shell supposedly encasing the Earth. And the English word firmament, of course, derives from the Latin. It is the word used in the 15th century KJV. Obviously, the word firmament suggest firmness or solidity.

It is only in modern times, now that science has demonstrated the problems with the concept of a solid encasement, that some English translations of the Christian canon have tried to downplay the meaning of the original Hebrew.

But it is not merely that these passages *can* be taken to refer to a firm encasement but that they were intended to be taken that way and were in fact taken that way by believers for a couple millennia.

And they still should be taken that way by those who are being honest with themselves.
Nice post.

You smoked Riverside Redneck despite his years of extra study of his bible. Somehow, he still doesn't seem to know what it says.

It's a beautiful thing to see the Christians revising their religion to conform with the products of rational skepticism - science, and the rational ethics of secular humanism. They have been forced to reject most of their ethics, and apart from the flat earthers and the creationist throwbacks, all of their "science." Today, they call them old law and allegory, respectively.

Fennario

#527583 Apr 30, 2013
Clearwater wrote:
Dung. Christian trash. Gee I can't understand why anyone would question you when you say you don't hate. Sad that.
Hate is too strong a word for that, but let's stipulate to it. If it is hate, it is hate returned for hate.

And like the other Christians here, you only find fault with the unbeliever's reaction, not the Christian whose "deceitful worm" comment earned him those remarks. That kind of prejudice - that double standard, that essential unfairness - is the hate here.

I don't like what your church teaches you. I don't like the kind of people it produces. I will say so as often as you give me cause to, and in the language of my choice.

What makes you think that you deserve better?

Fennario

#527584 Apr 30, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Most Christians in the U.S are here in the south. And almost all, got guns.
How proud you must be.
http://www.websophist.com/Gun_TotingBibleThum... [image]

Fennario

#527585 Apr 30, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Just as well, you're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
Thanks. Your contribution has been added to the bottom of the list :

REASONS GIVEN ON TOPIX WHY SKEPTICS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THE BIBLE

[1] I took the scripture out of context. It means something other than what it says (context and implied meaning never supplied).
[2] I don't understand literary criticism
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
[4] It's literal, not an allegory.

[snip]

[25] You have no reference in the knowledge of God to know our experience in Christ Jesus. The Word has to be embedded in one's heart, and that can come from God only.
[26] You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?
[27] Dont fall in the trap of being a one verse wonder. You need to understand the passage and true meaning of the verse.
[28] You're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.

That's three more in less than a week!

Riverside Redneck was incredulous when I claimed that I compiled this list from the comments by people like you - number 28 - and him - numbers 26 and 27 - over the years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min superwilly 227,876
How bout them Denver BRONCOS, BABY???!!!!!!!!!!! 5 min Doctor REALITY 5
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 9 min Bev Jamison 2,419
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Winter is Coming 740,233
Last Word + 2 15 min Mike Allen 754
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 18 min Chris Clearwater 173,840
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 24 min Bev Jamison 1,501
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 59 min Truth 543,113
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 20 hr gangsxofxroses_andii 157

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••