Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
His wit was not more conspicuous than the overflowing goodness of his heart, but the might of his smile.
<smile>

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that there were only 2 writings of "genesis" in the area then. One being the pyramid texts, and the other being the Babylonian texts. Israel or Judah did not even exist as states at that time, and neither did the bible or the Tanakh. Nor did Hebrew script. Jerusalem was Hittite ruled, and was merely a minor village, even in the time of Abrum and Sarai.
Yup. It was originally written in cuneiform, which was plagiarized by the Babylonians to create their own religion and control their population.

But they faded into history, the Bible still lives on. And Christianity is still on the rise, as it has been for 2,000 years.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam, of Adam and Eve?
So you're like, a fundy then?
Yes, Adam of Adam & Eve.

No, I'm not a fundamentalist. The bible says "6 days" of creation - I believe it was much longer than 144 hours,'fundies' don't.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. It was originally written in cuneiform, which was plagiarized by the Babylonians to create their own religion and control their population.
But they faded into history, the Bible still lives on. And Christianity is still on the rise, as it has been for 2,000 years.
You need ta put the beer away.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can think I'm wrong about the scriptures all you want, just remember that I'm not the one reading them like a novel, you are.
"Foundations of the earth", for example, is not a literal foundation of brick, mortar, concrete and rebar. I can't fathom why you would think it's literal.
You do the same with the "pillars of the earth", and the illustration you posted showed your mental image of literal pillars, a literal dome and a literal foundation
It's your inability to understand the bible that makes us not care what you think or post.
Do you honestly think the people of that epoch could grasp metaphors or understand an allegory? How high do you suppose their literacy rate was? When most of your audience has the IQ of a sandal, I thinks it's safe to say they will interpret everything quite literally. I refer to an audience since any copies of the Bible would have been rare commodities, hence the spoken word would be the primary source of information. Face it, they were primarily idiots...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not stupid. Uninformed or ignorant maybe, but not stupid.
Touchť.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, Adam of Adam & Eve.
No, I'm not a fundamentalist. The bible says "6 days" of creation - I believe it was much longer than 144 hours,'fundies' don't.
I don't know of any clear definition of "fundamentalist".

I suppose it doesn't matter. Every Christian chooses how to interpret the Bible in their own way, or according to the way of another person.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need ta put the beer away.
Never!

How dare you insult me!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:

Do you honestly think the people of that epoch could grasp metaphors or understand an allegory? How high do you suppose their literacy rate was? When most of your audience has the IQ of a sandal, I thinks it's safe to say they will interpret everything quite literally. I refer to an audience since any copies of the Bible would have been rare commodities, hence the spoken word would be the primary source of information. Face it, they were primarily idiots...
I agree with what you're implying, that most of the people in BC were pretty ignorant.

That's why I do believe that the bible is inspired by the hand of God.

What other explanation is there?

Aliens. Ya, that's it, aliens.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the word of god?
The bird is the word.

Haven't you heard?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> What do you THINK it is?
Everybody's heard about the bird !
Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !

Don't you know about the bird?
Well everybody's heard about the bird !

Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !
Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! Yeah !

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know of any clear definition of "fundamentalist".
I suppose it doesn't matter. Every Christian chooses how to interpret the Bible in their own way, or according to the way of another person.
And I suppose you think, due to your biases, that atheists interpret the bible flawlessly...?

"fundamentalist" has a clear definition and it's not me. Look it up.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The bird is the word.
Haven't you heard?
No, Brian! DON'T!

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>Just as well, you're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
You mean gullible.
The word you should have used was gullible.

Or maybe naive, that works too.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>What "rules" would that be my dear rabbi?
We've gone over this:
Don't wear mixed fabrics, don't even touch pig-anything, sell your daughter to the highest bidder for her hand in marriage.

So on and so forth.

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>What is the word of god?
Hate.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Turn up your speakers again itīs rock n roll time.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Part 1

Boooots wrote:
I think you have confirmed what I previously said, and you are not familiarizing me with something I do not understand, as I too believed that for 40 some years, though I certainly never wanted to rush it, except on one day when I was at a real low in a very long depression.

HFN wrote:
Iím sorry you went through that but am glad you are still here. Iím so glad you found the medicine to make it better for you now.

Boooots wrote:
The problem with that approach is it is fine, if, what you believe and do not know, to be true, actually, by some strange supernatural miracle, turns out to be true anyway, but if you are wrong, which I have no reason to not think you are but only a bit of evidence that you are, then you are diminishing the value of what you can enjoy in the living body by thinking it is secondary to what your bodiless spirit might enjoy after the body is dead.
Even if you are right, which neither you nor I know the truth of, I think you are still batting better to maximize the enjoyment of what you know exists now. You know you are alive and you know much of what is out there to appreciate; you do not know if a life exists after death (even if you think and state that you know).

HFN wrote:
If I am limiting the sins I can enjoy in the body thatís a good thing. Sure some of them are fun but they do not bring you real joy, peace and happiness. The wrongs will sooner or later turn to into a negative for you. A negative that could bring great sorrow to you. At least thatís what I found out, sooner or later. No, I would rather have the joy, peace and happiness that comes from God. Iím not talking about what comes after our bodies die here but the here and now while we are living on this earth.

Boooots wrote:
If you KNEW that an afterlife was definitely a proved state then this conversation would not even have got started on this site.
I would be interested in how you have felt the hand of God, and I am sure the world would like to know that too, as it might remove any doubt from 7 billion plus people's minds as to what or who God is, or if He exists.

HFN wrote:
I donít feel led to go in great detail but for one thing I am alive. God has taken care of me more than once. From cancer to being told someone was going to harm/kill me. I am thankful for the grace of God in allowing me to have faith in Him to get me out of things I thought would be fun but that turned bad (sooner or later) There are other things but they are private.

Continued
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Brian! DON'T!
I think you're confusing the Beach Boys with the Trashmen. Why the hell do I give a shyt?
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

Part 2

Boooots wrote:
I am sorry if you feel that participating in a discussion is making fun of your beliefs. I try to be nasty only to people who are promoting hatred by specific bigoted ideas that they attribute to their belief in a god. I have no tolerance for bigotry, and I will not dignify a bigot or his comment by being overly polite to him because I think he is a real problem to our world.

HFN wrote:
I agree a bigot is not a good thing. I also say that there are a lot of bigots outside of the faith too. They just donít see it that way when they are being one. You are nicer that some, I will give you that. But I sometimes read a dislike for Christians in your posts. But Iím not perfect, far from it sometimes.

Boooots wrote:
If that seems like bigotry, I do not promote hatred against or discrimination against even devout believers, but I will always stand against those who promote hatred against any group of people. I try very hard to never do that myself, though I am sure that occasionally I unconsciously say something that seems like a put down of certain groups.

HFN wrote:
Donít most of us, beliver or not? There are some really nasty posters on topix (both sides) and sometimes they succeed in getting our dander up.

Boooots wrote:
I will admit that I have become overly conscious of extremely obese people, because Canada, almost as bad as the USA, has a very large majority of overweight and obese people now, and I not only find them not very attractive to the eye, but also upsetting to my intelligence because I cannot imagine how people would allow themselves to get that obese.
I admit my feelings are not very kind, but I never advocate nor vocalize them to others except my wife, and she and I seem to both be similarly sensitive to seeing these people, possibly because we live in a section of the city where there is an inordinate number of them that show up in our nearby stores and malls. We even had on our floor for a number of years two sisters in separate apartments, who would be two of the heaviest people in the world, I am pretty sure, close to our age. Unfortunately for them, they both died at around 60 to 62 years of age and not very far apart in time either.
I also still have a similar reaction to smokers, but having had to put up with them for 66 years, I keep those feelings to myself also, but just see them as not only being addicts, but if young, not being too bright, because they could not possibly have grown up thinking that smoking was a positive thing to do, not in an environment where smoking has been condemned for several decades, and outlawed indoors for a decade or so.

HFN wrote:
It is called over indulging. Of course sometimes obesity can be a medical problem. I think a lot of us over indulge whether it be food or something else.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Joyful8118 732,194
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 10 min HipGnosis 173,226
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 11 min KiMare 226,039
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 14 min yon 2,379
Gay Pakistani snapchat 16 min INDIAN LAD 30 LON... 3
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min Porkpie Hat 259,629
Animal Crossing New Leaf Friend codes (Jun '13) 23 min Pixel love 156
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 58 min seriously the ori... 538,356

Search the Top Stories Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••