“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#527507 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I've heard that's the latest fashionable fad amongst skeptic circles.
However, they are quote different and Genesis was written first.
Here are some major dissimilarities:
EE records "successive generations of gods and goddesses" who are subject to typical weaknesses such as hunger, thirst, and sex drive; Genesis records but one God, though He had company of unspecified nature (Gen. 1:26), with no such weaknesses.
The EE is a creation account to some extent, but most of it is devoted to describing a battle between the god Marduk (the "creator" as such) and Tiamat the goddess (who ends up being the raw material of creation), and to other non-creation issues, so that after tally, only about a third of it is on the subject of creation.
EE played a political and cultic role in the Babylonian religion and explained Marduk's rise to chief god of Babylon; Genesis does not mention Israel, Jerusalem, or the Temple, and served no cultic function [Sarna, Understanding Genesis, 9; I would suggest that this points to the Genesis account being more original].
Except that there were only 2 writings of "genesis" in the area then. One being the pyramid texts, and the other being the Babylonian texts. Israel or Judah did not even exist as states at that time, and neither did the bible or the Tanakh. Nor did Hebrew script. Jerusalem was Hittite ruled, and was merely a minor village, even in the time of Abrum and Sarai.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#527508 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cuneiform tablets have been discovered as far back a 3,500 BC, so Genesis could have very well have first been written 5,500 years ago.
Moses' lifetime was calculated at being during 1391–1271 BC, so there's no way he would've known what generations of Adam were. There's also no way he would've known what happened.
Either God told Moses all of it, or Adam knew how to write in cuneiform also.
Either on makes sense to me. If Adam wrote his book of generations in cuneiform, Moses could read it. Moses was educated in 'all the wisdom of the Egyptians', and was strong in words and in deeds.
Genesis 5:1 says: "This is the book of the generations of Adam." This suggests that the that art of writing was known within the lifetime of Adam. It's absurd to think that God would allow this sacred information to the fraile mid of humans, there's no way they could remember it all.
Adam, of Adam and Eve?

So you're like, a fundy then?

Location hidden

#527509 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We must be. Here we are, over 5,000 years later, still debating it.....
Not stupid. Uninformed or ignorant maybe, but not stupid.

Location hidden

#527510 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
His wit was not more conspicuous than the overflowing goodness of his heart, but the might of his smile.
<smile>

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#527512 Apr 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that there were only 2 writings of "genesis" in the area then. One being the pyramid texts, and the other being the Babylonian texts. Israel or Judah did not even exist as states at that time, and neither did the bible or the Tanakh. Nor did Hebrew script. Jerusalem was Hittite ruled, and was merely a minor village, even in the time of Abrum and Sarai.
Yup. It was originally written in cuneiform, which was plagiarized by the Babylonians to create their own religion and control their population.

But they faded into history, the Bible still lives on. And Christianity is still on the rise, as it has been for 2,000 years.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#527513 Apr 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam, of Adam and Eve?
So you're like, a fundy then?
Yes, Adam of Adam & Eve.

No, I'm not a fundamentalist. The bible says "6 days" of creation - I believe it was much longer than 144 hours,'fundies' don't.

Location hidden

#527514 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. It was originally written in cuneiform, which was plagiarized by the Babylonians to create their own religion and control their population.
But they faded into history, the Bible still lives on. And Christianity is still on the rise, as it has been for 2,000 years.
You need ta put the beer away.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#527515 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can think I'm wrong about the scriptures all you want, just remember that I'm not the one reading them like a novel, you are.
"Foundations of the earth", for example, is not a literal foundation of brick, mortar, concrete and rebar. I can't fathom why you would think it's literal.
You do the same with the "pillars of the earth", and the illustration you posted showed your mental image of literal pillars, a literal dome and a literal foundation
It's your inability to understand the bible that makes us not care what you think or post.
Do you honestly think the people of that epoch could grasp metaphors or understand an allegory? How high do you suppose their literacy rate was? When most of your audience has the IQ of a sandal, I thinks it's safe to say they will interpret everything quite literally. I refer to an audience since any copies of the Bible would have been rare commodities, hence the spoken word would be the primary source of information. Face it, they were primarily idiots...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#527516 Apr 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not stupid. Uninformed or ignorant maybe, but not stupid.
Touché.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#527517 Apr 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, Adam of Adam & Eve.
No, I'm not a fundamentalist. The bible says "6 days" of creation - I believe it was much longer than 144 hours,'fundies' don't.
I don't know of any clear definition of "fundamentalist".

I suppose it doesn't matter. Every Christian chooses how to interpret the Bible in their own way, or according to the way of another person.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#527518 Apr 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need ta put the beer away.
Never!

How dare you insult me!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#527519 Apr 29, 2013
Anon wrote:

Do you honestly think the people of that epoch could grasp metaphors or understand an allegory? How high do you suppose their literacy rate was? When most of your audience has the IQ of a sandal, I thinks it's safe to say they will interpret everything quite literally. I refer to an audience since any copies of the Bible would have been rare commodities, hence the spoken word would be the primary source of information. Face it, they were primarily idiots...
I agree with what you're implying, that most of the people in BC were pretty ignorant.

That's why I do believe that the bible is inspired by the hand of God.

What other explanation is there?

Aliens. Ya, that's it, aliens.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#527520 Apr 29, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the word of god?
The bird is the word.

Haven't you heard?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#527521 Apr 29, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> What do you THINK it is?
Everybody's heard about the bird !
Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !

Don't you know about the bird?
Well everybody's heard about the bird !

Bird bird bird, the bird is the word !
Bird bird bird, the bird is the word ! Yeah !

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#527522 Apr 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know of any clear definition of "fundamentalist".
I suppose it doesn't matter. Every Christian chooses how to interpret the Bible in their own way, or according to the way of another person.
And I suppose you think, due to your biases, that atheists interpret the bible flawlessly...?

"fundamentalist" has a clear definition and it's not me. Look it up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#527523 Apr 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The bird is the word.
Haven't you heard?
No, Brian! DON'T!

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#527524 Apr 29, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>Just as well, you're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
You mean gullible.
The word you should have used was gullible.

Or maybe naive, that works too.

Montreal

#527525 Apr 29, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>What "rules" would that be my dear rabbi?
We've gone over this:
Don't wear mixed fabrics, don't even touch pig-anything, sell your daughter to the highest bidder for her hand in marriage.

So on and so forth.

Montreal

#527526 Apr 29, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>What is the word of god?
Hate.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#527529 Apr 29, 2013

Turn up your speakers again it´s rock n roll time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Oxbow 560,630
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Stilgar Fifrawi 778,975
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 19 min Grau 54
Designer sarees Online 54 min fan 4
How do I ask my dad for sex? (Oct '13) 1 hr daveo69 72
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Pegasus 265,574
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr JpostNewsYTube 175,788
Gay snapchat names 8 hr boygyhoy 183
More from around the web