Explain it all with a sigh."
It aint necessarily so wrote:

"Listen to the tide slowly turning,
Wash all our heartaches away.
We're part of the fire that is burning,
And from the ashes we can build another day"
AnnieJ wrote:
This is nice.
Do you know these words? They're both lyrics from Moody Blues songs. The first is an airy ballad called Tuesday Afternoon, the second a rock song with a prominent electric guitar part called The Story In Your Eyes - both easy to find on YouTube if you're interested.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#526886 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I thought that you knew buck through personal communications. I also heard that he was not who he pretended to be. I never pried since I assumed it was all confidential.
The man behind the persona may have been intelligent and have an amicable relationship with you, but I can only address the Internet persona, "Buck". Buck could learn what he wanted to learn, but he didn't seem to want to learn too much that was worthwhile. I found him unteachable.
And his public interaction with you seemed extremely disrespectful to me, in the same manner we have seen in this thread.
No, I never communicated with Buck privately. And I do believe he was not at all what he pretended to be, it was a persona.

Yes, he was (is) stubborn to the max, and definitely unreachable and unteachable. For me, it was entertainment and an opportunity to express my own views, possibly reaching others with them.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#526887 Apr 28, 2013
If I could, I would like to ask for opinions on Ann Coulter’s comment about the wearing of a Hijab? I have been chewing on this one for a few days now. For those of you who have not read or watched the newscast that I am talking about:

Coulter went on an anti-Muslim tirade on conservative opinion show “Hannity” Monday night, saying the wife of dead Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsnarnaev should be imprisoned for wearing a Muslim veil.

“I don’t care if she knew about this,” Coulter told Sean Hannity, the host of the Fox News show.“She ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab.”

It is not illegal in the United States to wear hijabs.
Found here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/ann-...

A Christian woman, on national news - states that an American born citizen should be imprisoned simply for a clothing item? Where is the line when it comes to comments such as the one above?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#526888 Apr 28, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
I am not sure but if I had to guess... I think some believe that it will make them a little more "holy" ..."righteous"...giv e them an edge over others. I say this jokingly but in a sense I believe it to be true. It will look good on their job applications when they get to heaven ...maybe get them a better rewarding job ...much like a PhD or MBA might in this world.
[shakes head]

I remember being into secret meanings as a kid. I read astrology books and learned to do horoscopes. We liked pig latin because we thought we were not readily understood by others. We liked decoder rings, substitution codes, one way mirrors, magic tricks, slang and invisible ink - anything that made us feel that we had special access to special information. I remember that.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#526889 Apr 28, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you saw what Buck wanted you to see ..
.. it was an illusion ..
Well, yeah - that was what I was alluding to in my post to him a few minute ago. It sounds like you also knew him in a way that I didn't. I can only judge the persona, not the actor.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#526890 Apr 28, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I figured you wouldn't admit it.
Project much?
When I'm wrong, I admit it. Perhaps you could tell me how you think I went wrong.....

Location hidden

#526891 Apr 28, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
If I could, I would like to ask for opinions on Ann Coulter’s comment about the wearing of a Hijab? I have been chewing on this one for a few days now. For those of you who have not read or watched the newscast that I am talking about:
Coulter went on an anti-Muslim tirade on conservative opinion show “Hannity” Monday night, saying the wife of dead Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsnarnaev should be imprisoned for wearing a Muslim veil.
“I don’t care if she knew about this,” Coulter told Sean Hannity, the host of the Fox News show.“She ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab.”
Found here:
A Christian woman, on national news - states that an American born citizen should be imprisoned simply for a clothing item? Where is the line when it comes to comments such as the one above?
It's horrible when people express their opinions, isn't it?

Unless of course, they have the same opinion as you...

United States

#526892 Apr 28, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
Found here:
I"ll keep it very simple: Coulter is scum, and any comment by her is, in my view, beneath dignity.

There is a word in Spanish for her ilk: Asquerosa.

Ann Arbor, MI

#526893 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure what you mean?
Expert in all Things

Redding, CA

#526894 Apr 28, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
Found here:
So is your problem with the statement about clothing, or is your problem with the person making the statement?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#526895 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
When I'm wrong, I admit it. Perhaps you could tell me how you think I went wrong.....
I already did -- in detail.

Probably 95% of those who post here get it.

If you don't, you're in the bottom 5%, give or take.

If you do but won't admit it,....

United States

#526896 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.

But some opinions are beyond the pale, and those who express them should be called out or totally ignored.

KKK members' opinions, for instance, and those of neo-nazis, fall into this category.

United States

#526897 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert Browning said it best: Let me count the ways.

Ann Arbor, MI

#526898 Apr 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I"ll keep it very simple: Coulter is scum, and any comment by her is, in my view, beneath dignity.
There is a word in Spanish for her ilk: Asquerosa.
I am perplexed by what was said, as well as some of the positive comments I have read from others about the newscast. I am trying to understand the mindset, I don’t get it.

Ann Arbor, MI

#526899 Apr 28, 2013
Expert in all Things wrote:
<quoted text>
So is your problem with the statement about clothing, or is your problem with the person making the statement?
The statement.

Location hidden

#526900 Apr 28, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure what you mean?
What I mean is, she has every right to voice her opinion. Every right that you and I have, she has too.

She's furious and she's fed up with terrorists and terrorism and she's venting.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Location hidden

#526901 Apr 28, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did -- in detail.
Probably 95% of those who post here get it.
If you don't, you're in the bottom 5%, give or take.
If you do but won't admit it,....
Okie dokie, señor.

He posted liks to pages, not posts - and you call me wrong.

O_o

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#526902 Apr 28, 2013
Nice.
Thanks, as always I'm humbled in these situations.
I have called these threads "atheist" school, and this is why. Neither of us would have been able to write the posts we did on this topic when we first encountered one another on these threads several years ago. But along with many others, we have grown together. We have learned from one another and taught one another. Today, we write scholarly posts on topics like these that debunk church apologetics relatively effortlessly.
Agreed, it's been fun, informative and just as you said, we've learned from the people we regularly post with. I'm not going to name all, but there isn't one person that I've posted with that I haven't learned from or - from their posting style - been able to incorporate something that they offer and utilize that helps in being more able to write in a way that expresses my thoughts better.

Pretty cool.
I had lunch with a friend that is also a former pastor yesterday, and with whom I have shared much about Topix in the past. He asked me what kinds of things we were discussing currently, and I mentioned this topic, since I had just posted to it before walking out the door to meet him. He knew none of these scriptures on the earth's form, and was completely unaware of the issues surrounding the Hebrew usage of circle. You and I know more about it than he ever did. There were six of us at the table - three couples - and the others were amazed at how much an unbeliever could know about these matters.
I suspect that wherever seasoned Topix skeptics go, they are the authoritative voices on the matter.
Yeah, and the more I do encounter people - Christians(currently)- that are willing to discuss their religion, I am utterly amazed at how little they know about their beliefs and ill prepared they can be for the most simple questions concerning the beliefs they embrace.

There are statements they give, and if you inquire any further or in depth than that initial response given, or if you ask "why do you believe that?", confusion is the general reaction. Often they'll simply repeat what was already said.

All flavors of deity beliefs are fascinating, but the Abrahamic beliefs especially so, because they are some of the most cobbled together and fabricated from previously existing deity beliefs of all.

"Yahweh", is a composite deity comprising at least 4 other distinct deities(with tidbits of others) from other previously existing cultures, but believed to be original, singular, and like no other by those of the Abrahamic faiths.

"EgyptoPhoneciCanaaniSemi tiBabyIraniGrecoRomaYahwehJesu s!" PolyMonalaHenoMonotheistic Uber deity. Is the end result.

It has gotten to the point I rarely bring the subjects up that require effort on their part to actually look into and investigate what they believe. Retreat to the tribal stance of "WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AND DO, MY DEITY WILL MAKE YOU PAY, BE AFRAID!" happens quite often. That applies to pretty much all deity beliefs.

I wonder when humans will no longer need to feel they have a supernatural bodyguard in order to live among other humans either unfamiliar or different and feel as if they are protected.

Sometimes I think never.

But, they might.

Ann Arbor, MI

#526903 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What I mean is, she has every right to voice her opinion. Every right that you and I have, she has too.
She's furious and she's fed up with terrorists and terrorism and she's venting.
I don't see what the big deal is.
So we should have people voicing on national television the unlawful imprisonment of Christian’s by the American Government, simply for wearing a Cross necklace when a Christian relative commit’s a heinous crime?

United States

#526904 Apr 28, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
The statement.
And the person, a miserable, disgusting, pathetic hater of the worst sort.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Charlie Sheen 259,332
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min New Age Spiritual... 542,250
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min ROCCO 739,060
Mars Colony....NFL's Adrian Peterson....ISIS...... 21 min End Of Days 6
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 21 min Eagle 12 227,455
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 26 min Mandela 36,874
comparison of breast (Oct '12) 37 min Jeanne from Bidde... 39
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr bacon hater 95,465
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Catcher1 173,663
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••