Why Should Jesus Love Me?
Adam

Germany

#526845 Apr 28, 2013
@Rosa Winkel

Black Sabbath God is dead? Live Brisbane Entertainment Centre 25 April 2013 Aust

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#526846 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Maybe you could try less ridicule.
Maybe...
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? For your benefit or mine?
You really have to ask why?

It's for the benefit of all, IANS.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526847 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's what I just told Chris Clearwater you think. I told him that you were pretty dogmatic about interpreting your bible, even though no two of you seemed to be able to agree about what it said.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yeah, there it is - just like that.
I've spent a long time studying the bible, trying to figure it out. I still get surprised when I learn something new about it.

But you, you're like "I've read it, so I know it".

O_o

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#526848 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect.
Each link goes to a specific page, not post.
*wonders* will scar admit he's wrong?
He's not wrong.

I checked his links.

All but the 2nd of the 5 links are permalinks, and I assume he unintentionally copied that 2nd link improperly.

Permalinks go to a specific post and end this way:

..../post526221

And the above is actually the post his first link leads to.

A permalink will place the specific post first in your browser's viewing area, unless the post in relation to the page length prohibits that. Regardless, the specific post will always be one of the posts that are immediately visible when you hit the page after following the link.

But the URL will not show up in your browser's URL field that way once you follow the the link.

So now the question is, will you admit you were wrong?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526849 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not at all.
You must have missed it, but I asked you to show me where your bible defines anything unambiguously and without contradiction. I asked you to show me the part that backs any definitively pronouncement of what the cosmic vault and dome are, or anything else in your bible.
That would have taken four minutes.
Oh, that's easy.

The vault is the universe, the dome is the sky.

Job has some pretty amazing insight into the nature of the earth, for his time:

He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.(Job 26:7)
He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight.(Job 26:8)
He covers the face of the full moon, spreading his clouds over it.(Job 26:9)
He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness.(Job 26:10)
The pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at his rebuke.(Job 26:11)

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#526850 Apr 28, 2013
Ashelah wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be nice.
Ya.
Wouldn't it be nice if the records of civilization were all public and you could know who your ancestors were and your roots, instead of them being buried in the Vatican vaults or destroyed by the same. Not to mention all the information and sciences of the great libraries.
It's high time civilization takes back what is left of the heritage that was stolen from them by the beast.

Columbus, OH

#526851 Apr 28, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
He went ballistic when I pointed that out. Let him go off @ the facts that prove his wife's young age.
http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/137024
http://www.radicalviews.org/index.php/civilis...
http://www.answering-islam.org/Index/A/aisha....
Even the Muslim websites admit it. "At the age of 8 years, she experienced an historic move, when the first Islamic state was on rise, she was able to recall all the minor details. Next year she joined the household of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him)".
http://www.sistersbookroom.net/t522-aisha-bin...
That was a hoot.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526852 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
You keeping making that claim. But when I ask you for a taste fo that special wisdom and insight that you insist that you but not I have, we get nonsense like, "You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?"
<quoted text>
That's actually more true about you than me. I just gave you two of a few conflicting accounts of biblical cosmology, both describing a flat earth when you bristled at my reference to it when discussing a vault or dome covering it. So did Scaritual. He cited scripture, and considered the original Hebrew words for circle and globe, then linked you to an artist's conception,as had I.
Your response to both of us was basically that we didn't know what we were talking about, but no rebuttal.
<quoted text>
Nice argument.
What you and Scar posted IS scripture, but you're reading it wrong.

Skeptics have been trying feverishly for hundreds of years to "prove" the Bible depicts a flat earth when it doesn't. Skeptics want to believe that because they feel it helps confirm their thinking that the Bible is not inspired by God -'cuz how could God not know the earth isn't flat?

That's your tale. One which is only in the minds of a few skeptics and not based in reality.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526853 Apr 28, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I think we'll be using more ridicule. It's the most appropriate tool to use, in this instance.
Derision is no way to earn respect.

Maybe that's why Christians treat atheists the way we do - you people are constantly nagging about shit you don't understand.

So you mock us for it, ignorantly.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526854 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's OK if you don't.
Do you think that I made up this list? Do you doubt that I could collect this many answers? Look at the bottom of the list. I just added another one.
Yes, I think you made up the list.

Yes, I doubt you could collect that many.

I do believe that you could make them up, though.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526855 Apr 28, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
More mangling.
It is remarkable how difficult it is for you to reproduce an idea without transforming it into something else.
<quoted text>
Jibba Jabba. There is no substance to this. You merely dismiss opinions with the wave of a hand and a pronouncement about figurative language right off of the list:
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
By the way, which biblical passages did I refer to? I summarized about two dozen. Are they all in the "figurative" part of the bible?
THE EARTH IS FLAT
[1](Isa 40:22) It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to live in.
[2](Dan 4:10-11) Upon my bed this is what I saw; there was a tree at the center of the earth, and its height was great. The tree grew great and strong, its top reached to heaven, and it was visible to the ends of the whole earth.
[3](Mat 4:8) Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor
[4](Job 11:9 ) Its measure is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
IT HAS CORNERS
[5] Isaiah 11:12 -... and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.
[6] Revelation 7:1 - And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds ...
AND EDGES
[7] Job 38:13 - That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?
[8] Jeremiah 16:19 -... the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH
[9] Daniel 4:11 - The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH
[10] Job 38:13 - that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it
THE EARTH SITS ON PILLARS
[11] 1 Samuel 2:8 - The pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them.
[12] Job 9:6 - Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.
IT IS FIXED AND UNMOVING
[13] Psalm 93:1 - "Surely the world is established, so that it cannot be moved"
[14] 1 Chronicles 16:30:“He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
[15] Psalm 96:10:“He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
[16] Psalm 104:5:“Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
[17] Isaiah 45:18:“...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”
AND THE SKY IS COVERED BY A RIGID SOLID DOME
[18](Gen 1:6-7) And God said, "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
[19](Psa 148:4) Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
[20](Gen 1:14-17) And God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night
[21](Job 37:18) Can you, like him, spread out the skies, hard as a molten mirror?
[22](Prov 8:28) when he made firm the skies above
[23](Job 22:14) Thick clouds enwrap him, so that he does not see, and he walks on the dome of heaven.
If there's anything you'd like to understand better about your bible, please ask.
Jibba Jabba...

Do you understand that your little theory just said the bible depicts the earth as round and square?

Like I said, you read the Bible as if it's a novel, you should know better.

Location hidden

#526856 Apr 28, 2013
_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, you and IANS can make sport of me.
I'm going to be 20 fuckingyears old. 20 years since I escaped from the birth canal. I still live in my parents home. I still have a chauffeur. I still have body guards.
It's time for a hike, I think.
You sound quite lonely and restricted.
I am sorry.

Columbus, OH

#526857 Apr 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What you and Scar posted IS scripture, but you're reading it wrong.
I agree.

They need to suspend their disbelief before reading those scriptures.

That way they can pretend those scriptures do not reflect the Hebrew cosmology of antiquity -- just like you.
Doctor REALITY

United States

#526858 Apr 28, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound quite lonely and restricted.
I am sorry.
You're restricted 'mentally',and yet no one's bothering YOU about it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526859 Apr 28, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HjxCtcOCnoMXX
You fancy yourself a hero?

Location hidden

#526860 Apr 28, 2013
high end wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would your god choose a bisexual individual to so call 'accurately translate' the latin books into English?
Hello he. I don't know what you are talking about. What God spoke is what I consider to be the word of God. And the person that God tells to write what he said down would write it down accurately. Many people translate the bible. Many people say they are guided by the Spirit but just because a person says that, does not make it so.
I am a sinner. I have broken all of the commandments. Does that mean that God can not love me? Does it mean that I can not do something God asks me to do? I think that it means that in the things I did that broke the commandments, I did not obey God. God still loves me. And I can do what God asks of me. And if I do what God asks of me, that is of God, even though I am a sinner. I believe we all are sinners and God wants us to not sin. Even though I am a sinner, God could speak through me if he so chooses. The Bible records that he spoke through a jackass before, why couldn't he do it again. I believe he could.
Have a great day he.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#526861 Apr 28, 2013
You say that there are only 3000 people in this organization that disagrees with you? How many people say that the bible does not describe a flat earth?
Well, if only 3,000 think it depicts a flat earth, then appr 2,199,997,000 think otherwise.
Your claim has no merit than the opposite - that it literally refers to corners of the earth.
Which is it, IANS? C'mon.

Your saying the bible depicts the earth as a flat disc - and you "prove" it.

Now you're saying it depicts the earth as a square with four corners.....

A flat disc square? You can try harder.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#526862 Apr 28, 2013
UidiotRaceMakeWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>, you not only one as Even the some of American affluent class is leaving US and renouncing their US citizenship. ANd many immigrant Professional like China, india ... are leaving America in masses.

Why you left?
We can imagine an equilibrium in the balance of competing attracting and repelling forces that hold us or push us. Initially, we are all pretty firmly bound to our motherlands.

But a series of incidents led to a weakening of that bond, and with the superposition of new repelling forces, I eventually left.

The initial bond was already a little damaged. I was an atheist all through childhood, and felt a little put off by the national motto "In God We Trust." I refused to say the Pledge Of Allegiance in school. I think that those things had an unintended adverse psychological effect on me as an unbeliever.

Later, as a physician, I felt repeatedly betrayed by my government, beginning in the late eighties with the advent of the HMO. Then came a series of other issues that I summarized elsewhere [ http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ] which ultimately left me feeling very much like a target of my government. This professional part not only widened the gap between America and me, but it gave me incentive to retire young, which meant aggressively saving.

As a liberal American, I also felt repeatedly betrayed by the government. It began with Reagan getting a walk form Iran Contra, then with the abuse of Clinton culminating in the impeachment. When Nancy Pelosi became Speaker in 2006 and announced that impeachment of Bush was off the table, and then the Democratic Congress that had been ushered in that year on a mandate to end the Iraqi war approved every nickel of Bush's war budget, I just assumed that democracy was dying, and that I was no longer represented.

You can lose trust for your government without losing your attachment to your country, but not if you find half the country is just as alien as the government. The rise of hate radio and the incredible ugliness of the Christians and the conservatives left me feeling like I didn't care about approximately 50% of the people that I had once considered fellow Americans.

The low point was the way that the Iraq war dissenters were treated by the culture at large. The right called us cowards, appeasers, terrorist lovers, America haters, aiders and abettors, liberal parasites, a disease, Communists - anything but fellow American. It got pretty depressing, and I think that my last attachments to America were severed when almost nobody disagreed with them.

Remember, liberal dissenters were cordoned off into Orwellian "free speech zones," profiled, harassed, brutalized and beaten for expressing dissent. That was apparently OK with America, which was extremely divisive and disheartening to me. I didn't really want to live with those people any more. Nor did I want to contribute taxes.

All of that was cutting the cord.

Add several threats looming large: failure of the banks, runaway inflation, collapse of the dollar, governemntal insolvency, runaway national debt, and even talk of civil war and martial law. Retirement accounts disappearing, the stock market was unstable, there were bailouts galore, and unemployment and recession.

Plus there was an erosion of rights and privacy, and by 2009, it was time to close the office, and take the wife, the dogs, and our savings somewhere far away.

Circumstances forced life changes on us that we would never have found without help. We landed on our feet in an idyllic existence that we had never envisioned. If I were a Christian, I would say that the Lord blessed us - that he did all of this for us. All of those problems were resolved. We feel safe, welcome and connected again.

Hope that gives you a sense of it.

Location hidden

#526863 Apr 28, 2013
The King James translation of the Bible uses the word Easter. At the time of this translation as it is today, when the word Easter is used, passover or the crucificion and resurection is what is meant. For that is what it has come to mean. While the words origin is the godess of fertility. Do I then say that the King James translation is wrong? No, I don't. Because I know what the word meant to the translater through context and a little research.(Let him that reads understand):) Because I know the origin, I like to use the terms passover and crucifiction and resurection. The meaning of the passage that uses the word easter is not changed by what in my oppinion is a poor choice of word. The message remains the same. Just some of my thought on the matter.

Location hidden

#526864 Apr 28, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>You're restricted 'mentally',and yet no one's bothering YOU about it.
YOU are.
I was showing compassion.
YOU seem to love to hate.
Did your pastor teach you that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Mr Wiggley 30,993
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Gods View 987,332
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Robert F 687,239
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr David S Pumpkins 286,549
skype usernames for dirty skyping;) and usernam... (Aug '14) 4 hr Jack Pitan 9
Topix is run by a bunch of GAY LOSERS 9 hr Doctor REALITY 1
I LOVE my new LG V20 smartphone!!! 9 hr Doctor REALIUTY 6
More from around the web