mike

AOL

#525469 Apr 25, 2013
Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
Your welcome friend (c:
But using mere humans as your excuse to not want God juuuuuust doesn't cut it. It is a fib that many nons put up in front of us while resisting God's voice in their heart and lives.
We readily admit that we are just the same as youz <3 But with higher hopes in our future (c; *wink*
Thanks

Mere people are the only ones talking about a GOD, a GOD doesn't speak.

Higher hope?...most professing christians know everything, they don't hope.
mike

AOL

#525470 Apr 25, 2013
Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually THEY do .
<<<<<<<SM OOOOOCH>>>>> >>>
Only words?

Simplify things and do a thing!
mike

AOL

#525472 Apr 25, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree on the last part definitely, but we all are in the dark on the first part, though what little evidence exists kind of leans a bit the way of the non-believers.
Hello, thanks for the reply.

Humans instinctively sense there is something else, unfortunately those who scramble to find value in themselves want to define the something else for others.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#525473 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
Maybe they'll have faith they can fly and jump off a bridge. Oh wait, then faith isn't all that good?
No, it's not. It's bad. How can faith be good? It's a guess.

Faith can be in anything, however absurd. Of course you can have faith in jumping off of cliffs. I'm sure that people jumped into volcanoes on faith. If there were a religion recommending either, the faithful would be praised, and would jump.
mike

AOL

#525474 Apr 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
"I heard a man loudly exclaim,'I am a christian!' Then I watched him awhile and decided I would not be" - Oukah
Hello

Fennario

#525475 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
Science confirm that a source of energy holds the universe in place.
Sorry, Nick, but that is meaningless. I already know that you cannot show me anything that supports that claim. What you might find is an account of dark energy accelerating the universe's expansion. And there is evidence that the universe may be rotating. These would be the only known motions of the universe, not motion within a larger space.

There is known space in which the universe moves, although the multiverse, if it exists, might be such a thing. If such a place for our universe to move exists, we have no knowledge of it, nor even what it means to say that the universe does or does not move in it, if it anchored, or how.

When you're dealing with evidence based thinkers, you need to provide more that opinions and wild, unsupported claims.
Nick wrote:
Engery is constantly at work. E=M(Csquare)
Wrong.

Potential energy is not at work. Work requires energy transfer, as when an object is moved through a gravitational or electric field.
Nick wrote:
That source of energy is God.
Faith is guessing. You're just guessing now, and claiming that your guesses are fact. We need less of that kind of thinking. It has no value.

Fennario

#525476 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
Science can't explain how and why the universe came about from nothing since Science proves something created can't come from nothing.
Science does no such thing. What we know about the behavior of small pieces of the universe does not necessarily apply at the largest scales. From Wiki:

"The fallacy of composition arises when one infers that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole (or even of every proper part). For example: "This fragment of metal cannot be fractured with a hammer, therefore the machine of which it is a part cannot be fractured with a hammer." This is clearly fallacious, because many machines can be broken-apart, without any of those parts being fracturable."

Hang around and we'll teach you how to think usefully. No progress has ever been made by guessing and calling it fact. Au contraire: that method has held man back.

Your bible, for example, has revealed nothing useful about the universe. It's full of bad guesses, such as the one about a flat earth with edges immovably mounted on pillars, or a dome over the sky separating waters above it from waters below. That's all nonsense.

All useful knowledge about reality was gleaned from observation of it using reason.

Fennario

#525477 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
The bibles confirms you can not trust your feeling! They can let you down!
Feelings can be misleading, such as the intuition that a father figure watches over us and protects us from harm. But how does your bible prove that?

How does the bible prove anything nontrivial? Books can't prove anything about the world apart from the fact that it contains books.
Nick wrote:
Luke confirms Jesus as the Saviour of the whole world. That is the Facts!
The only fact confirmed by the Gospel of Luke is that something called the Gospel of Luke exists. That's it. It could contain anything or its opposite, and it would still be the Gospel of Luke, and it would still prove nothing.

You should probably abandon the use of words like fact, proof, knowledge, truth, evidence and reason. What you have is faith in guesses, nothing more. It produces nothing useful unless you consider false hope useful, and I for one don't.
Nick wrote:
The Romans also later woke up and realised the diety of Jesus and turned to Jesus as their God. I find that amazing !!!!!!!!!
Not really. It was about three centuries later, and it was due to the pragmatic political decision of an emperor.
Nick

Australia

#525478 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Sorry, Nick, but that is meaningless. I already know that you cannot show me anything that supports that claim. What you might find is an account of dark energy accelerating the universe's expansion. And there is evidence that the universe may be rotating. These would be the only known motions of the universe, not motion within a larger space.
There is known space in which the universe moves, although the multiverse, if it exists, might be such a thing. If such a place for our universe to move exists, we have no knowledge of it, nor even what it means to say that the universe does or does not move in it, if it anchored, or how.
When you're dealing with evidence based thinkers, you need to provide more that opinions and wild, unsupported claims.
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Potential energy is not at work. Work requires energy transfer, as when an object is moved through a gravitational or electric field.
<quoted text>
Faith is guessing. You're just guessing now, and claiming that your guesses are fact. We need less of that kind of thinking. It has no value.
Sorry too, So far what you have shared is also meaningless.

In the OT 3000 years ago the bible mentions that space is stretched like a curtain. It is only now through science can we confirm this as fact !

At that time no-one could comprehend or prove it.

Fennario

#525479 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
Rom 1.17, The just shall live by faith.
Nonsense. We have seen the injustice of faith manifest in several ways here in this thread. I have felt it.

Justice requires character. It means doing what is right according to a program of egalitarianism and empathy. It often requires courage. I don't see any of that coming from the faithful here.

I see cliquishness and cowardice. I see verbal sniping. I see scapegoating gays and making their lives more difficult and dangerous.

Where is the justice in denying gay couples equal protection under the law? Where is the justice in the Roman Catholic Church? There will be none until secular authorities demand it.

Where is the justice in blaming me for Adam's sins? Where is the justice in requiring torturing somebody on the cross? Where is the justice in eternal torment for a petty charge? Where is the justice in forgiveness on demand, or salvation without making amends?
Nick wrote:
Rom 5.1, Having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
You are not justified by faith. You merely forgive yourselves. You may feel better about yourself for it, but you are not justified in the eyes of the rest of us.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#525480 Apr 25, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Could'a fooled me, from what I've seen in the last 50 years or so.
I am astounded at how so many people are so ignorant about their own religion and it's teachings...and of it's history...or why and how these things even came about.
.. many believers on this thread speak a language we cannot understand ..

.. if you make any claim to truth, knowledge or wonderment, expect anathema. Nobody is allowed to question faith and dissenting voices are ridiculed in an attempt to silence ..

.. clerics have stifled their curiosity and now they follow in their footsteps ..

Fennario

#525481 Apr 25, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
What would be Buck's take on this bunch?
I think Buck would side with them. He seems to prefer faith, even if he doesn't agree with what they have faith in.

The Christians would not side with him, however. They would likely sit idly by watching him insult skeptics, and enjoy it.

But if we were to leave the thread, they would savage him and his Wispy Miasma theology.

What do you think?

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#525482 Apr 25, 2013
Babrik wrote:
Why My comment marked as mean ... I really asked questions which wanna know? I am not criticizing anyone just asking .. is there anyone who can give answers anyone???
Because some religious people here get offended at every single question, doubt, and bit of logic.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#525483 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
Since GoThomas is invalid, impossoble to be written by Thomas, Im not interested to read it.
<quoted text>
I feel that way about all of the gospels. Who is Luke? Luke who?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_th...
.. there are times when you must fight fire with fire ..
Nick

Australia

#525484 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Feelings can be misleading, such as the intuition that a father figure watches over us and protects us from harm. But how does your bible prove that?
How does the bible prove anything nontrivial? Books can't prove anything about the world apart from the fact that it contains books.
<quoted text>
The only fact confirmed by the Gospel of Luke is that something called the Gospel of Luke exists. That's it. It could contain anything or its opposite, and it would still be the Gospel of Luke, and it would still prove nothing.
You should probably abandon the use of words like fact, proof, knowledge, truth, evidence and reason. What you have is faith in guesses, nothing more. It produces nothing useful unless you consider false hope useful, and I for one don't.
<quoted text>
Not really. It was about three centuries later, and it was due to the pragmatic political decision of an emperor.
The same could be said to you about guesses. You can not prove the bible to be false. When all people around that time could prove it to be correct, which is why the Christian faith grew and even Roman empire becoming christians!

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#525485 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
No, it's not. It's bad. How can faith be good? It's a guess.
Faith can be in anything, however absurd. Of course you can have faith in jumping off of cliffs. I'm sure that people jumped into volcanoes on faith. If there were a religion recommending either, the faithful would be praised, and would jump.
Well that's what faith is, belief in something without evidence/against evidence.

Someone can have faith that gravity doesn't exist, but that doesn't make it even close to true.

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#525486 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
To be intolerant of others' opinions is bigotry.
And so by denying rights, you are intolerant of others' opinions, and therefore a bigot.
And your point being?
So I'm a bigot in your opinion; do you believe your opinion counts?
Say it does count, tyou've established in your mind that I'm a bigot, so what's your next point?

For whatever reason I somehow think you could still make a positive contribution to this thread, but while I say this I wouldn't make a wager on it.

Shalom sir.

CS.

Fennario

#525487 Apr 25, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
They have their own "wedding" thread now.
For real?

[tick-tock]

You weren't kidding, were you? I just found it

Well, I won't post the link. Nor will I post on the thread. They can have their privacy there.

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#525488 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I forgot to mention the other part of the definition of bigotry, as stated in my previous comment, and so no, it would not be defined as bigotry.
You sound a bit confused.
I'll give you a do over.
Nick

Australia

#525489 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Nonsense. We have seen the injustice of faith manifest in several ways here in this thread. I have felt it.
Justice requires character. It means doing what is right according to a program of egalitarianism and empathy. It often requires courage. I don't see any of that coming from the faithful here.
I see cliquishness and cowardice. I see verbal sniping. I see scapegoating gays and making their lives more difficult and dangerous.
Where is the justice in denying gay couples equal protection under the law? Where is the justice in the Roman Catholic Church? There will be none until secular authorities demand it.
Where is the justice in blaming me for Adam's sins? Where is the justice in requiring torturing somebody on the cross? Where is the justice in eternal torment for a petty charge? Where is the justice in forgiveness on demand, or salvation without making amends?
<quoted text>
You are not justified by faith. You merely forgive yourselves. You may feel better about yourself for it, but you are not justified in the eyes of the rest of us.
You seem a bit spiteful coming out with nonsense and judging me and everyone in the faith.
I would call that sterio typing a group of people.

You are asking many questions which require an essay to satisfactory answer them all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min WasteWater 265,432
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min River Tam 778,060
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 15 min andet1987 4,476
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 18 min andet1987 1,296
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 22 min andet1987 5,157
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 26 min guest 560,429
Last Word + 2 30 min andet1987 995
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Anti-Christ 441,819
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 9 hr yon 4,875
More from around the web