“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#525485 Apr 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's not. It's bad. How can faith be good? It's a guess.
Faith can be in anything, however absurd. Of course you can have faith in jumping off of cliffs. I'm sure that people jumped into volcanoes on faith. If there were a religion recommending either, the faithful would be praised, and would jump.
Well that's what faith is, belief in something without evidence/against evidence.

Someone can have faith that gravity doesn't exist, but that doesn't make it even close to true.

“Quo Vadis”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#525486 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
To be intolerant of others' opinions is bigotry.
And so by denying rights, you are intolerant of others' opinions, and therefore a bigot.
And your point being?
So I'm a bigot in your opinion; do you believe your opinion counts?
Say it does count, tyou've established in your mind that I'm a bigot, so what's your next point?

For whatever reason I somehow think you could still make a positive contribution to this thread, but while I say this I wouldn't make a wager on it.

Shalom sir.

CS.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#525487 Apr 25, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
They have their own "wedding" thread now.
For real?

[tick-tock]

You weren't kidding, were you? I just found it

Well, I won't post the link. Nor will I post on the thread. They can have their privacy there.

“Quo Vadis”

Location hidden

#525488 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I forgot to mention the other part of the definition of bigotry, as stated in my previous comment, and so no, it would not be defined as bigotry.
You sound a bit confused.
I'll give you a do over.
Nick

Australia

#525489 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Nonsense. We have seen the injustice of faith manifest in several ways here in this thread. I have felt it.
Justice requires character. It means doing what is right according to a program of egalitarianism and empathy. It often requires courage. I don't see any of that coming from the faithful here.
I see cliquishness and cowardice. I see verbal sniping. I see scapegoating gays and making their lives more difficult and dangerous.
Where is the justice in denying gay couples equal protection under the law? Where is the justice in the Roman Catholic Church? There will be none until secular authorities demand it.
Where is the justice in blaming me for Adam's sins? Where is the justice in requiring torturing somebody on the cross? Where is the justice in eternal torment for a petty charge? Where is the justice in forgiveness on demand, or salvation without making amends?
<quoted text>
You are not justified by faith. You merely forgive yourselves. You may feel better about yourself for it, but you are not justified in the eyes of the rest of us.
You seem a bit spiteful coming out with nonsense and judging me and everyone in the faith.
I would call that sterio typing a group of people.

You are asking many questions which require an essay to satisfactory answer them all.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#525490 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
Science confirm that a source of energy holds the universe in place. Engery is constantly at work. E=M(Csquare)
That source of energy is God. It shows off His Splender, Power and Awe. Nothing compares to His Majesty and Might !
Science can't explain how and why the universe came about from nothing since Science proves something created can't come from nothing.
This is God at work !!
Wow, really?

That's good enough for me. I'm dropping out of school today. I now know everything I need to know.

Thank you, Nick. Thank you.
Nick

Australia

#525491 Apr 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that's what faith is, belief in something without evidence/against evidence.
Someone can have faith that gravity doesn't exist, but that doesn't make it even close to true.
Very well written Lacez !

Fennario

#525492 Apr 25, 2013
Babrik wrote:
Why My comment marked as mean ... I really asked questions which wanna know? I am not criticizing anyone just asking .. is there anyone who can give answers anyone???
Let me field that:
Babrik wrote:
What was the purpose of Jesus ...

Why did he came in this world?

what would be the minimum believes that can lead me to the heaven?

Can I perform adultery ..

Can I drink wine champagne, neat vodka and other alcoholic stuff that can easily make me out of my mind?
Jesus is a myth. The myth exists to exploit people.

No belief can get you to heaven or anywhere else. Heaven doesn't exist, and beliefs only matter if they inform actions.

Yes, you can perform adultery, but it is only moral if you get your wife's permission. If your lover is married as well, she should have the same understanding with her spouse.

Yes, enjoy your alcohol, but do so in moderation and don't drive impaired.

My advice to you is to avoid religion and dogma. Choose reason and compassion instead.

“Quo Vadis”

Location hidden

#525494 Apr 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are as crazy as he is.
Seems you make five people that got IANS's back. If he is sooooo right why does he need you and the other four to attack me ?
Let's see, four people agree with whatever he says against me and no one else here agrees with them.
Seems you are in the minority.... and quite wrong. I doubt you even know what the arguement is about anyway.
Shalom old friend. Did I hear you ask for odds to be evened?

CS.

“Quo Vadis”

Location hidden

#525495 Apr 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What comes out of you is what defiles you. For from within, out of your hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile you.(Mark 7:20-23)
Excellent post. Well done.

CS.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#525496 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
I think Buck would side with them. He seems to prefer faith, even if he doesn't agree with what they have faith in.
The Christians would not side with him, however. They would likely sit idly by watching him insult skeptics, and enjoy it.
But if we were to leave the thread, they would savage him and his Wispy Miasma theology.
What do you think?
I agree generally, but I think the Christians would be appalled at Buck's vulgarity.

“Quo Vadis”

Location hidden

#525498 Apr 25, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
+ What I forgot to add... in that Link, Ja?
Shalom my friend. How are you?

CS.

Fennario

#525499 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
Sorry too, So far what you have shared is also meaningless.
If so, it is because of your faith. Faith dictates what you will find meaningless, which includes facts that don't support your faith.

I have something else in place of faith: rational skepticism. It dictates what I will find meaningless. I find the dicta of faith useless.

What has faith ever given us?
Nick wrote:
In the OT 3000 years ago the bible mentions that space is stretched like a curtain. It is only now through science can we confirm this as fact !
Science confirms that space is nothing like a curtain. Space is more like a balloon. Space expands. Curtains are really just unfolded, not stretched, since they are generally inelastic.

Space doesn't appear to be pulled - what the word "stretch" implies - like a curtain. We know of nothing stretching it. All we know is that it expands.

Furthermore, Curtains tend to expand in only one dimension: laterally. Space expands in at least three dimensions.

And space is still expanding, not merely "stretched."

The most remarkable thing about biblical cosmology is how few of its guesses can even be twisted to resemble what science has taught us. If your first example of biblical science was the use of the word stretch as evidence that the bible authors knew about the expansion of space, you've got nothing.

The usual example of biblical scientific prophecy provided is that time and the universe may have had a beginning. And sometimes I hear about the world being suspended. Would you like me to address either of those?

Fennario

#525500 Apr 25, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. many believers on this thread speak a language we cannot understand ..
.. if you make any claim to truth, knowledge or wonderment, expect anathema. Nobody is allowed to question faith and dissenting voices are ridiculed in an attempt to silence ..
.. clerics have stifled their curiosity and now they follow in their footsteps ..
Well stated.

Faith deserves no praise. It's a problem.

“Quo Vadis”

Location hidden

#525501 Apr 25, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> It appears this an observation from personal experience.
Please continue in your own self conviction.
Mr. BT42, I never heard you this -blitzkrieg before. All you have left to do is send in the disgruntled henchmen and the berzerkers. LOL
What's wrong old friend? You don't seem the jovial man of late.

CS.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#525502 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
I thought that we all descended from Abes. Maybe I'm confusing traditions: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1040/546252526...
"I viewed my fellow man not as a fallen angel, but as a risen Abe."
- Desmond Morris, author of The Naked Abe
"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty Abe."
Hah hah hah!

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#525503 Apr 25, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
True. And if some have their way this nation may one day be under sharia law. Last year a judge in this state (Fl) spoke out in support of it.
This country will never have Sharia law. There are too many people with personal arsenals of guns for this country to be overrun by Islamic Law. I believe the danger to the country lays in Tolerance. A watered down political correct versions of Christianity that do not clash with the beliefs of Islam or Hinduism. More people of those religions are moving into the country, and the [why can't we all get along]crowd will cause Christianity to be very watered down so as not to [offend]. To me that's the danger ahead.
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#525506 Apr 25, 2013
Jesus taught: By your words you shalt be justified and by your words you shalt be condemned.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#525507 Apr 25, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
I know Lawest, I know... it is just my way of saying I care.
It is 6am Thurs now, and after a beautiful full lit sky all night, it is still not daylight, the birds have not woken, while it is very still. Make me think of Be still and know that I am God Psalm 46:10
Sometimes I do not understand why even some Christians convey a degree of non belief or is it lack of understanding that we can and do see as Jesus said 'the kingdom of God, and do speak with the knowledge contained therein. Why it it thought of as a separate thing?
Luke 17
20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
So many use Biblical text, even those of Jesus to suite interpretation of, and yet to understand them as a child, they are literal! Applicable in every sense of the word.
God Bless and trust you caught up with some rest.
Good morning ( here ) >>>>>Irrira< <<<<

Forgive me for taking this long to respond to your post. I know that you care my friend, and I appreciate that more than you know, regarding your point about those christians that don't seem to submit themselves fully to God's Word or really understanding it, I know that it doesn't sound practical to assess anyone's proclaimed walk with Christ as I know that many will see that as passing judgement, and it is true that none of us are perfect in the least, but I will say this, that many who profess to have God do not always have what they claim, and that by itself can usually signify a red flag in some cases, the Bible tells us to try the spirits to see if they be of God, and when you are Blessed of God to have the spiritual discernment to see these things, then usually so much is like an open book before you.

God is keeping me afloat my friend, and I'm glad to know that you are doing good as well. Peace and Blessings always.

Fennario

#525508 Apr 25, 2013
Nick wrote:
The same could be said to you about guesses. You can not prove the bible to be false.
The correct word for the bible is "inauthentic," not "false." The bible is a forgery. It was not written by the deity it describes, which obviously doesn't exist, either. The book describes a perfectly loving, omniscient, omnipotent being that [1] wrote the book, that [2] wants us to know and love him,[3] and that governs our lives.

And yes, I can prove that those are untrue. Do I need to tell you how I know that all three are incorrect? I will if you like. I'll give you clues: the bible is filled with errors, the god fails to manifest itself unambiguously, and horrible things happen to people.

Incidentally, saying that I am also guessing - I had called your faith a guess - even if true, is not really much of a defense for your guesses. You're not affirming your faith based conclusions, but hoping to show that mine are on equally shaky ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 min ChristineM 442,633
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min pusherman_ 826,581
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min June VanDerMark 583,230
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 15 min Brian 2,983
Poll Which is the Best SAP ABAP institute in hyderab... (Nov '12) 17 min KISHORE 32
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 25 min NWmoon 221,790
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 39 min lisw 176,434
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 7 hr robertxiong 98,926
More from around the web