Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#519803 Apr 13, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>prayers are joyful, even if said in stress.
You would think booooots writer would know his request would have the opposite effect. The fact that he does not seem to have known that, makes you wonder about his mental state.
My mental state is just fine, as I take 3 sepearate medications daily and have for nearly 20 years to keep it that way.

My request is only expressing my opinion that it would be nice to see a person state their own opinion on a subject or a post, rather than just paste a verse. There are many sites online which post Bible verses if that is what you want to see.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#519804 Apr 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Serah, I kind of wish we hadn't got into this discussion, when you are facing a health crisis in your life. I think there are certain times when it is rather tactless to discuss one's belief or lack thereof with a believer and one time is when they are facing some serious medical difficulty. At that time a person doesn't need negativity regardless of what another person might believe.
I have told before the story of a friend who thought he was dying (he did a few years later), and he was in a longterm care hospital and had had a set back. A woman acquaintance visiting him, when he tried to jokingly say that if he died he guessed had lived his life well enough that he would go to heaven, quickly responded that there was no guarantee he would (or words to that effect). Because it caught me off guard, I was dumbfounded and said nothing, but on reflection later, I thought I should have ushered her out of my friend's room and beat her severely about the head and face (metaphorically speaking, as I would never hit a woman).
What she said to that man at a low point in his life was unforgivable yet I suspect she thought she was being sincere.
Some of my subsequent responses to you after saying I was sorry, may have taken back what I said, because frankly I have not yet got you into my memory enough to remember which poster you are. Your name or at least this one is not one of those who I have posted to for many years.
Good Morning Booots, it is Sunday down here; my chosen day of Sabbath.

I have always posted as Serah, or Seeking Serah, and cannot recall running into your words previously either. I think that the woman in your friends room was way out of place, and ushering her out would have been the right thing to do, but no doubts, no-one would have wanted to start an argument in the room of someone dying. Her tactlessness could be considered unbelievable, as such, but we do know there are many tactless people around.

Please don't treat me any differently now that I have mentioned there is a health issue in my life, that surely was not my intention when mentioning it. We do not know who might be suffering health issues in this forum, and accordingly, perhaps we should post with consideration for others at all times.

Thanks for sharing your personal stories with us, Booots; it gives an insight into why we are as we are :)

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#519805 Apr 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
When Zimmerman publishes a peer reviewed scientific paper on the subject, get back to me.
Until then you're supplying goofy links with "Mars Attacks" icons and articles exposing:
"Joey Lawrence and His Weird Red Hair"
http://thedamienzone.com/2013/04/12/what-is-u...
That site you linked, obviously, in your opinion, qualifies as a legitimate source of cutting edge scientific news.
You might look into utilizing The Cartoon Network as a news source in the future.
It might be right up your alley.
Lemme ask you a question.
Huckleberry Hound, real or no?
LOL...how about this then:
In 2004, the American Journal of Psychiatry reported the following:
“ Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found.[19]”
According to a study by the Barna Group regarding charitable giving:"The typical no-faith American donated just $200 in 2006, which is more than seven times less than the amount contributed by the prototypical active-faith adult ($1500).[20] A number of studies have confirmed that there is an inverse relationship to doing volunteer work and depression.[21] Please see: Atheism and depression

The website Adherents.com reported the following in respect to atheism and suicide:
“ Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman compiled country-by-country survey, polling and census numbers relating to atheism, agnosticism, disbelief in God and people who state they are non-religious or have no religious preference. These data were published in the chapter titled "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns" in The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael Martin, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK (2005). In examining various indicators of societal health, Zuckerman concludes about suicide:

"Concerning suicide rates, this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicides rates (which compared 100 countries), of the top ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly irreligious nations with high levels of atheism. It is interesting to note, however, that of the top remaining nine nations leading the world in male suicide rates, all are former Soviet/Communist nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with the lowest male suicide rates, all are highly religious nations with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism."[22
http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_heal...

The less religious the more prone to mental illness and suicide attempts.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#519806 Apr 13, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>That is perfectly alright with me--it is their Life.
Okay then, that's that.

#519807 Apr 13, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us came to hopefully share what we have in common and to narrow the gap between us.
Neither side seems to want that to happen.
We don't have to agree on everything...at least that is my opinion...seems that others have a different opinion...from both sides.
This is part of a post that was left for me on a different forum...I thought it held truth for both sides...
I like what Spiritmatter said in his/her post…
“The Godly way to peace is not through forced conformity but mutual agreement to live and let live not live and force the other to conform.”
I like those words of Spiritmatter, AnnieJ, they have reminded me of Desiderata :)

#519808 Apr 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And may the grace of Santa be with you all. Eman.
Poetry. The words have no literal meaning. The have no referent outside of the heads of men. They point to nothing out there that actually exists.
We'd be just as well of with the flace and stace of Jesus Christ as with his grace. Or Santa's grace. They are all just words that evoke psychological experiences.
Revelation 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Location hidden

#519809 Apr 13, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>The Church is fine, growing and Christianity is in great shape. I think it was because you left :)
Yes, in the USA, according to pastors who preach in their churches, and those people who have attended these churchs to actually count the numbers who attend, approximately 20% of stated Christians attend church on any given Sunday. While there are many reasons for not attending church, the attendance is a measure of how important that religion is to its members, and also is necessary in order to obtain money to continue the work of the church.

Because Christianity is by far the largest religion in the USA, one might state then that religion does not play a major role in the lives of the majority of Americans, which is also the case in all other Western countries which are thought of as Christian countries.

At the rate of the decline of Christianity in the last century, I think it would be safe to guess that by the 22nd century religion will not be hardly noticed in the advanced countries of the world. That will be long after I am dead as will most others on this site.

#519810 Apr 13, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Trifecta1, from that post, I am guessing your first language is not English (English is my only language, though I was a very high scholar in French during my high school days - high school French here though does not make you conversant in French, unless you get involved with French people and speak the language a lot. Canadian French is hard to understand anyway since our school French is based on Parisian French, and our French Canadians do not necessarily speak it). That is just a comment with no meaning to it.
I only criticize Christians for writing Bible verses, because IMO, they do so, rather than reply to whatever the other person has said to them.
Because a non-believer does not believe that Bible verses are from a god, unless they help explain a particular comment, they are redundant (in my case at least) and I have had a lot of experience with people just doing that to spam the site, rather than participate in discussion.
My experience in Christianity and the Bible is probably as much or even more than most other posters here, if for no other reason than the number of years I was a Christian and how very seriously I felt about being a Christian. Having said that though, I was never one for quoting Bible verses, out of context, or of even carrying a Bible around with me, nor did I read the Bible daily as some people tell you is a must if one wants to get to heaven.
I am sorry you find me perplexing, as I do not want to be perplexing to anyone. I have learned to be quite nasty on Topix at times though, because on several other Topix sites, we had to deal with a few "Christians' daily who were very abusive to other posters, and that finally got to me, so that I started retaliating.
Anyone, who disagrees with me, but treats me with respect, has had no problems with me, except in some cases I forget (I do have a short term memory problem) which poster they are, and say something to them, thinking they are a different person. I need to watch that more.
There are many of us who are guilty of posting things that we shouldn't have written..... it is my intention not to reply to the postings that are rude to others so that I cannot be drawn down to any levels, but in saying that, have done so and have apoligised. I like that old saying; if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything...

#519811 Apr 13, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have mail, unless you have changed your address. If it doesn’t get there let me know and I will try again
Thank you ~ I have mail :)

#519812 Apr 13, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
I just looked back over the last few pages. All posts that are written by non-Christians have been judged negatively not matter what the content of the post was.
That is all non-Christians except the ones that are attacking another non-Christian.
Think about it people...I will leave it up to the reader to form an opinion about the maturity level of the one judging.
Don't take any notice of those judgicons, AnnieJ, they often have no reflection at all on the posting.

Location hidden

#519813 Apr 13, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
To explain once again. Some atheist say they ONCE were Christians.
When they (atheist) say they were at one time Christians , they LIE. Meaning they were NEVER a Christian , in the first place.
Yes AJ, atheist , agnostics, and any unbeliever have a RIGHT and it is their free will to NOT believe.
I did not READ anywhere on this whole topix thread that you didn't believe in GOD.
YOU did tell ME, however, that you didn't believe in Jesus, because Jesus was a Christian concept and you were not a Christian.
It is hard for me to hear that anyone can believe in GOD and not believe that Jesus died for our Sins. To me and most all Christians believe you must go through Jesus Christ to get to GOD.
I think you express those opinions, simplyput, because you do not have an easy time understanding simple things. A person who was once a Christian, assuming they actually were, was a Christian, and then they came to a point in their life when they stopped believing in a God so they no longer consider themself a Christian and so are an atheist.

You are making the often used, but always wrong, assumption that a Christian can never change their opinions. In other words you think of Christians as programmed robots which can never act outside the program that is place in them.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#519814 Apr 13, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
See, your post proves you don't know much.
Agnostics don't believe in a god, neither do they disbelieve.
They choose not to think about it.
It is more complicated than that...

This list came for WIKI so other sites might have further categories...

Types of Agnosticism

Agnosticism can be subdivided into several categories, some of which may be disputed. Variations include:

Agnostic atheism
The view of those who do not believe in the existence of any deity, but do not claim to know if a deity does or does not exist.[16]

Agnostic theism
The view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence.[16]

Apathetic or pragmatic agnosticism
The view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of any deity, but since any deity that may exist appears unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic.[17]

Strong agnosticism (also called "hard," "closed," "strict," or "permanent agnosticism")
The view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of a deity or deities, and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

Weak agnosticism (also called "soft," "open," "empirical," or "temporal agnosticism")
The view that the existence or nonexistence of any deities is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable; therefore, one will withhold judgment until evidence, if any, becomes available. A weak agnostic would say, "I don't know whether any deities exist or not, but maybe one day, if there is evidence, we can find something out."

Out of these...though I don't like labels I would probably call myself an agnostic theist.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#519815 Apr 13, 2013
triefecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? 3 different types of meds to stay sane eh? oy!
[QUOTE who="boooots"]<qu oted text>
My mental state is just fine, as I take 3 sepearate medications daily and have for nearly 20 years to keep it that way.
My request is only expressing my opinion that it would be nice to see a person state their own opinion on a subject or a post, rather than just paste a verse. There are many sites online which post Bible verses if that is what you want to see.
You know what writer, I not even going to touch this writing, too much here that make it hot to the touch..iyai!

Location hidden

#519816 Apr 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For me, this thread has been a real eye opener.
I never knew there was so much ignorance out there.
What a bunch of cave dwellers.
Catcher1, do you honestly believe that some of these people have actually advanced yet to the cave dwelling stage? Perhaps that is being too generous.

#519817 Apr 13, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember him talking about seeing a bird near his house and that it reminded him of Lynn. I remember him giving you the name Serahboo. He liked you or he would not have given you a name his cat shared. I too thought of Ham when I was writing that. How he missed Lynn. At least he is finally at peace and with her again.
Me too Serah, have a lot to be thankful for. I’m nothing special except that Jesus died for me and that was Him not me. But yet I am saved because He took my punishments on himself and paid for them so I would not have to. Sometimes that just really pops out at me.
Galatians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
5 To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world
1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
The memories we have are beautiful ~ well, at least the ones we hold on to :)

Acts 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.

2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;

3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.

4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.

5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.

6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.

9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God:

10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.

Location hidden

#519818 Apr 13, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, homosexuals are persecuted and executed in some Muslim countries.
They are also persecuted and executed in Christian countries. Uganda and Nambia (both Christian countries) impose the death penalty for homosexuality.
Both Muslims and Christians should be ashamed. VERY ashamed of what is done by their fellow Christians and Muslims.
All of human population of the world should be ashame and should stop this murder of innocent people for no reason other than they were themselves.

#519819 Apr 13, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that God laughs?
If God is how many of you describe him...
I would think that laughter would be the last thing that he did. If he is how he is described by most of you I would think that he would be sad...heart broken that somehow he had not been able to reach someone.
Do you think God laughs at Christians that use scripture to annoy others...uses it as a belittlement to another human being?
John 11:35
Jesus wept.
Excerpt from Barnes notes...
http://bible.cc/john/11-35.htm
Jesus wept - It has been remarked that this is the shortest verse in the Bible; but it is exceedingly important and tender. It shows the Lord Jesus as a friend, a tender friend, and evinces his character as a man. And from this we learn:
1. That the most tender personal friendship is not inconsistent with the most pure religion. Piety binds stronger the ties of friendship, makes more tender the emotions of love, and seals and sanctifies the affections of friends.
4. We have here an instance of the tenderness of the character of Jesus, The same Savior wept over Jerusalem, and felt deeply for poor dying, sinners. To the same tender and compassionate Saviour Christians may now come Hebrews 4:15; and to him the penitent sinner may also come, knowing that he will not cast him away.
Number 4 in Barnes' explanation of John 11:35 - Jesus wept - I think applies to my words above...would God/Jesus laugh?
GOD gave us laughter, AnnieJ :)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#519820 Apr 13, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
Hmm. Does one detect a Julian May reference?
No. I'm not familiar with that person/writer.

Montreal

#519821 Apr 13, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>It is more complicated than that...

This list came for WIKI so other sites might have further categories...

Types of Agnosticism

Agnosticism can be subdivided into several categories, some of which may be disputed. Variations include:

Agnostic atheism
The view of those who do not believe in the existence of any deity, but do not claim to know if a deity does or does not exist.[16]

Agnostic theism
The view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence.[16]

Apathetic or pragmatic agnosticism
The view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of any deity, but since any deity that may exist appears unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic.[17]

Strong agnosticism (also called "hard," "closed," "strict," or "permanent agnosticism")
The view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of a deity or deities, and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."

Weak agnosticism (also called "soft," "open," "empirical," or "temporal agnosticism")
The view that the existence or nonexistence of any deities is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable; therefore, one will withhold judgment until evidence, if any, becomes available. A weak agnostic would say, "I don't know whether any deities exist or not, but maybe one day, if there is evidence, we can find something out."

Out of these...though I don't like labels I would probably call myself an agnostic theist.
And I would place myself in the category of agnostic atheist.

Thank you for the information; I stand corrected.

Montreal

#519822 Apr 13, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>You know what writer, I not even going to touch this writing, too much here that make it hot to the touch..iyai!
"Writer"?
What, you think he's an author or something?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min spud 7,181
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Wilbur 982,216
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min Bongo 123,347
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Rosesz 681,740
Virginia man charged with espionage for deliver... 1 hr Brice N Livingston 6
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr onemale 286,526
_ VATICAN to get 'Legal Right' to TEMPLE MOUNT _ 9 hr NewsJune2017 YTube 1
More from around the web