Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#519659 Apr 13, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>ROFLMAO

I don't have a religion.

Please, continue your meltdown. It's funny to watch you make an ass of yourself.
It really is!
<giggling>

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#519660 Apr 13, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
This post was to 'mike'... and with respect, an aswer hurts no-one.
Prayer is autmatic - a 24/7 way of Life – some would call it a meditation, but there is no ritual just staying tuned without a TV or radio for such. It is no different to where I began life, in an Indigenous way, and has proven very valuable as well as very true to the words I might utter before an event – or if the cops want help – leads straightr to the problem. Plus too true... not to believe there is more to life than meets the eye of proof., leaving the door open for all things being possible in my book, to God.
Well... you have an epistle here...
I see you want to discuss your no God beliefs with others, and there being no proof of myths and things, but I cannot vouch for anything where no proof is only from books, or human beings. I know that my Jesus lives, have seen him, plus as he has no Father on earth, I do believe him 100%, and will go so far as to say a bride, anything you say I would automatically defend... for even you cannot prove I have not seen and spoken with him face to face many times. Any disbelief then of this, would leave us both without further conversation.
Take Care.
Thank you for that post, though I will admit that a few comments I am not sure I understand (perhaps your style of writing or shortforms for some things have confused me).

I gather you live in a place which is perhaps not as well to do as I do, and that you are also somewhat not as mobile as I am. I am sorry to learn that you suffered from polio. That has been pretty well eliminated in my country for quite a number of years, though there are some older people that survived it that I have come across in my life.

I am 66 now, and retired, but I have not worked at a job since I was 47, due to mental problems, severe anxiety and acute depression (perhaps not the exact clinical names). I have a university education, and was a whiz in my grade school and high school education, and started off that way in university, but finding a girlfriend, who I married before completing university, and the general boredom of studying perhaps made me back off a bit on my studies such that I did not graduate near the top of my class, but I did get the same degree as others.

My work life and a rather disruptive married life (first marriage) kind of led to my eventual mental problems (likely a lot deeper than that). Because I was on a longterm disability for many years I would not have reached anywhere near the average income of my fellow university graduates, though my prospects for exceeding them, when I was in school, was likely very good.

Since I have been able to go on winter vacations up to 2 months starting in 2007, with my current wife, one would think I must be well off, but I think we likely are generally very frugal spenders, and manage to have enough money to travel plus live. We live in a fairly cheap apartment, and I have had no car since late 2010, which makes it cheaper for us, as the cost of a car is much higher than the public transit costs locally, and when I need a car for long distance infrequent travel I rent one for a few days, which is much cheaper than having one sitting costing me money all the time.

During the first years of my life, we had no running water in our home, and I was likely close to my teens before we had a shower in our bathroom.

I too have difficulty handling compliments, although if they are sincere and I think they are deserved I am grateful.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#519661 Apr 13, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
He doesn't comprehend the Bible.
Your bible was composed for illiterate, unwashed goatherds. I think that I can understand that. How is it possible not to understand your bible?

I understand that much of it is poetry, meaning that it has whatever meaning you wish it to have like other figurative language.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literal_and_figu...

But can you show me any passages at all using definite, literal language where that meaning isn't obvious? For example, if you say that a day in Genesis is a literal day, it's pretty clear what the words mean. Everything was poofed into existence in just under a week. And if you want to call that allegory - i.e., figurative language or poetry - then it means whatever each reader wants it to mean.

You can only make your bible seem lofty and ponderous by pretending that it has definite meanings that are to found deep below the surface after intense meditation.

How about these two?:

[1] "He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers." - Proverbs 6:13

[2] "the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden" - Proverbs 30:19

Would you say that are poetry? If you do - and I do - then there is zero information content there. No wisdom. Reading it purely an evocative, aesthetic experience.

Or do you say the opposite - that it is literal language embodying some definite truth that one can benefit by knowing?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#519662 Apr 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Your bible was composed for illiterate, unwashed goatherds. I think that I can understand that. How is it possible not to understand your bible?

I understand that much of it is poetry, meaning that it has whatever meaning you wish it to have like other figurative language.

But can you show me any passages at all using definite, literal language where that meaning isn't obvious? For example, if you say that a day in Genesis is a literal day, it's pretty clear what the words mean. Everything was poofed into existence in just under a week. And if you want to call that allegory - i.e., figurative language or poetry - then it means whatever each reader wants it to mean.

You can only make your bible seem lofty and ponderous by pretending that it has definite meanings that are to found deep below the surface after intense meditation.

How about these two?:

[1] "He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers." - Proverbs 6:13

[2] "the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden" - Proverbs 30:19

Would you say that are poetry? If you do - and I do - then there is zero information content there. No wisdom. Reading it purely an evocative, aesthetic experience.

Or do you say the opposite - that it is literal language embodying some definite truth that one can benefit by knowing?
Blah blah blah

Fennario

#519663 Apr 13, 2013
Adam wrote:
The westboro baptist church teaches the will of Satan not the will of the heavenly father.It should be no longer recognized as a christian church because they went astray and became follower of Satan. No church is a church if they tolerate such filth.
How are you different? You bring us the same filth.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#519664 Apr 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>They must be here for a reason? Surely not just to post never ending pointless postings about not having faith..... that makes no sense at all :)
The workday doesn’t start when you walk into the office, it starts when you wake up. Start by thanking God for the job you have and pray Colossian 3:23,“Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.”
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Prayer/2010/0... ***
Some of us came to hopefully share what we have in common and to narrow the gap between us.

Neither side seems to want that to happen.

We don't have to agree on everything...at least that is my opinion...seems that others have a different opinion...from both sides.

This is part of a post that was left for me on a different forum...I thought it held truth for both sides...

I like what Spiritmatter said in his/her post…

“The Godly way to peace is not through forced conformity but mutual agreement to live and let live not live and force the other to conform.”

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#519665 Apr 13, 2013
<quoted text>Your bible was composed for illiterate, unwashed goatherds. I think that I can understand that. How is it possible not to understand your bible?

How about these two?:

Yes. I agree, even illiterate, unwashed goatherds were smarter than you. Thank for admitting you cannot comprehend the Bible.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#519666 Apr 13, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
1 Timothy 3
Qualifications for Overseers
3 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
Qualifications for Deacons
8 Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. 9 They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. 11 Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 13 For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
The Mystery of Godliness
14 I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these things to you so that, 15 if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth. 16 Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:
He was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,
taken up in glory.
As the twig is bent, the tree is inclined.

Fennario

#519667 Apr 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
One of my favourites;
Revelation 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
And may the grace of Santa be with you all. Eman.

Poetry. The words have no literal meaning. The have no referent outside of the heads of men. They point to nothing out there that actually exists.

We'd be just as well of with the flace and stace of Jesus Christ as with his grace. Or Santa's grace. They are all just words that evoke psychological experiences.

Location hidden

#519668 Apr 13, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure it will benefits the hearts it was intended for. I will also say a prayer for your doctor's visit, be well.
That writer boooots is quite perplexing. Not even [it ain't necessarily so]go so far off the deep end. The boooots writer actually criticize Christians for writings the bible, in an attempt to make the Christians write less bible? He can't be that foolish. I mean he write like he got a little bit of sense, so how can he really misjudge such a request?
A normal person would know if an unbeliever ask a Christian to talk or write less about the bible because it annoy them, they going to do the opposite, talk and write more of the bible. If they keep it up, the christians on here might just do nothing else, but write the bible on the billboard.
Sometimes unbelievers make it too easy to pity them.
Trifecta1, from that post, I am guessing your first language is not English (English is my only language, though I was a very high scholar in French during my high school days - high school French here though does not make you conversant in French, unless you get involved with French people and speak the language a lot. Canadian French is hard to understand anyway since our school French is based on Parisian French, and our French Canadians do not necessarily speak it). That is just a comment with no meaning to it.

I only criticize Christians for writing Bible verses, because IMO, they do so, rather than reply to whatever the other person has said to them.

Because a non-believer does not believe that Bible verses are from a god, unless they help explain a particular comment, they are redundant (in my case at least) and I have had a lot of experience with people just doing that to spam the site, rather than participate in discussion.

My experience in Christianity and the Bible is probably as much or even more than most other posters here, if for no other reason than the number of years I was a Christian and how very seriously I felt about being a Christian. Having said that though, I was never one for quoting Bible verses, out of context, or of even carrying a Bible around with me, nor did I read the Bible daily as some people tell you is a must if one wants to get to heaven.

I am sorry you find me perplexing, as I do not want to be perplexing to anyone. I have learned to be quite nasty on Topix at times though, because on several other Topix sites, we had to deal with a few "Christians' daily who were very abusive to other posters, and that finally got to me, so that I started retaliating.

Anyone, who disagrees with me, but treats me with respect, has had no problems with me, except in some cases I forget (I do have a short term memory problem) which poster they are, and say something to them, thinking they are a different person. I need to watch that more.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#519669 Apr 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>As the twig is bent, the tree is inclined.
Hello Catcher!:-)

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#519670 Apr 13, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
DS Annie is a smart caring woman and does not deserve to be talked to that way. What has she done to you that makes you speak that way to her? I would bet that as bad as you treat her if you came up needing help she would still help you if she could.
Please give her a brake. She is not doing anything to you.
Thank you HFN for your kind words.

You are right...I would help him if he were in need...even if he was ungrateful. It is not about who is deserving...it is about doing what is right.

It is also not about how someone here chooses to define me that is so troubling to me. It is about how we ALL are defining each other that causes me to be sad.

I read here and it is almost like a celebration when one side says something horrible about the other. Smiles...thank yous...pats on the back...they start flying...

It was a telling sign for me the other day when Lawest and I (two people who often don't agree) tried to have a civil conversation and there were those that tried to derail it. Almost as if they wanted no common ground to be found. I just dropped that conversation.

I think we ALL (from both perspectives) should take a look at what we are doing not only to each other...but to ourselves. I think some have lost some integrity in order to "win"...I guess that I have to ask if it is worth it.

It is not to me.

I spent a long time this morning writing on another forum...one where I can express my thoughts and not be attacked. It was great being able to express how I felt. I know that part of what I wrote might not be agreed with but I also know that I will not be vilified simply because I believe differently and see things from a different set of eyes.

Anyway...I did not mean to write this much...but I did some reading this morning that seems to have gotten me started...something that triggered my thoughts and inspired me to write.

Thanks again...I am sure that the poster you addressed will take your words to heart! LOL Yeah right...

:-)

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#519671 Apr 13, 2013
Alex Pope
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#519672 Apr 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Your bible was composed for illiterate, unwashed goatherds. I think that I can understand that. How is it possible not to understand your bible?
How about these two?:
All of you Atheist are so ironic --you are always talking about GOD.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#519673 Apr 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I will always talk to you my twin ~ could you perhaps send me an email so that I can update my records as this is a new laptop and I lost many of my contacts.
Have just written about some of the issues in a posting to Boooots, and it is mainly the sinus issue that I am hoping to clear up ~ and will stop jumping around in the pool as high as before, although back doing aquarobics without quite as much 'gusto'...
You should have mail, unless you have changed your address. If it doesn’t get there let me know and I will try again

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#519674 Apr 13, 2013
I just looked back over the last few pages. All posts that are written by non-Christians have been judged negatively not matter what the content of the post was.

That is all non-Christians except the ones that are attacking another non-Christian.

Think about it people...I will leave it up to the reader to form an opinion about the maturity level of the one judging.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#519675 Apr 13, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
...that they supposedly don't believe in...iyai!lol..rofl. And they wonder why Christians simply laugh at or shrug at their Criticisms of Christianity, because their claim of atheism is just not believable.

Location hidden

#519676 Apr 13, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
No , you Atheist
My intent, if I bash, is to bash the poster for how they respond or how they treat others. I don't direct any posts at God, because God is a non-existent concept for me. I am aware and very knowledgeable about the God concept though, so I am not lost or uncomfortable discussing the topic.

I do get uncomfortable when people, who claim to be believers in Christ, exhibit behaviors that conflict with that claim. That is based on what I understand about the character Jesus Christ and his teachings, according to how I learned them.

Marriages take two people to make them, and two to break them. I stayed in my first marriage for 31 years even though nowadays that marriage likely would have ended in the first year. It was not a terribly bad marriage, nor were either of us bad people. We were just not right to be married to each other.

Fortunately, we produced two exceptional children who survived growing up in a home where the parents did not always get along (something I did not do in my parents' home).

Also after initiating our final breakup, my 1st wife contacted me, and met with me and asked me to go back to her, several months after we had completed our legal separation and division of assets etc., because she had decided she had made a mistake and she did not want to live without me.

Unfortunately, at the time, I was then in a very loving relationship with another woman, and did not have the desire to give that up (though if I had been alone I would probably have gone back and likely eventually regretted it).

That relationship was very good, right up to the time that my 2nd partner told me she wanted to break up with me, because she wanted to bring a man back into her life, who she worked with during her first of two previous marriages, and who she had secretly always wanted to be with, though had not been with him before except as a workmate and friend.

Due to the events that led up to my break with her, I was not even given even a clue that she might not want to be with me, as we had even discussed fairly recently things that we would do when she retired (she is or was a nurse). She told me that what she had done was not at all to do with me, but was all her doing, and that she cared for me very much but she had to have this other guy, because she saw him as her soul mate.

In hindsight, considering her first two choices of husbands, and how those two relationships ended, I think she personally is not one who stays with men very long.

Strangely enough, though she cheated on me (which I wouldn't call it that, but is commonly what others do) I tried to get her to come back or stay with me, for many months, and made some headway. If I had not happened onto my current wife, and we hit it off quickly, I likely even now would take her back, even though I have not seen her for about 6 years, nor heard from her for 4 or so years (she did send me a couple emails after we broke up).

I still have flashbacks to that woman almost daily. I have not had the same reactions to my first wife.

We 'atheists' cannot prove you are wrong about the existence of a god, but we can prove you wrong about some of the things you claim regarding that god or the stories related to that god, where the proof exists, and it does exist. Also we can have a very strong interest in not accepting bad behavior from believers in the name of their god, when that behavior conflicts with what is currently socially acceptable.

For example, much of the abuse by Christians has been towards gays, on other threads. Canada has had legal gay marriages for a number of years, and the USA will have it too in a few years, so there is not really anywhere that gay bashing can legally be acceptable any longer, and though not gay, nor even particularly excited about a gay life style, I will attack anyone who is a rabid gay basher.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#519677 Apr 13, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of you say this.

Would you prefer that an atheist not speak of God? Not think of him at all?

You singled out atheist...do you also find it ironic that an agnostic speaks of God?

This is just a thought...

As long as an atheist or an agnostic speaks of God (in any manner) the door is open for belief. It is when an atheist or agnostic no longer speaks of God or thinks of God that door is completely shut.

Do you think that God would prefer an atheist or agnostic to not think of him or speak of him?

On the subject of scripture...

Do you think that God would prefer an atheist or agnostic to not read or quote the Bible?

IMO...no one owns God (if he exists) nor does anyone own the words of the Bible. God and the Bible are not exclusive to any one group of people. Some might value God and the Bible more than others but they do not own either.

At least in my opinion...
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#519678 Apr 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Too true, SeRaH; it would be rather a long list if we wrote down all those who have had an impact in our lives during our time on Topix. The first person who comes to mind is Ham; my honorary Aussie friend who gave me the nickname Serahboo, as you know, in honor of his well loved cat. Do you remember the posting when he told us of the bird tapping on his window at midnight?
Matthew 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof....
Indeed, if GOD takes care of all of these things, why would HE not care for us? We have been brought together by JESUS and GOD, and indeed, for that alone, I have much to be thankful for :)
I remember him talking about seeing a bird near his house and that it reminded him of Lynn. I remember him giving you the name Serahboo. He liked you or he would not have given you a name his cat shared. I too thought of Ham when I was writing that. How he missed Lynn. At least he is finally at peace and with her again.

Me too Serah, have a lot to be thankful for. I’m nothing special except that Jesus died for me and that was Him not me. But yet I am saved because He took my punishments on himself and paid for them so I would not have to. Sometimes that just really pops out at me.

Galatians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
5 To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world
1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min nanoanomaly 87,969
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 22 min crucifiedguy 284,507
FATIH SIEMENS Servisi (2I2) 2O2 62 35 SIEMENS F... 42 min buzser 1
Siemens Cerrahpasa Siemens Servisi (2I2) 2O2 62... 45 min buzser 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 48 min Devil number 666 977,214
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 51 min Truthiness 480
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 1 hr Truthiness 28
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr -KENTUCKY- 665,191
More from around the web