“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#518561 Apr 11, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=bsLd9Z_NGlcXX
LuLu
(((*()*)) xx
Thank you sweetie, lovely song (((*()*)))

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#518562 Apr 11, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I have (religious) faith in nothing. If you are using the word some other way, please indicate as much.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I didn't say anything about religious faith.
I did.

You weren't clear about what you were referring to with the word "faith."
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The word "faith" is not limited to a religious context.
Yes, I know. That's why I tried to disambiguate. You don't seem to want to help.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
you're stuck on religious faith, not faith.
I have no religious faith.

Fennario

#518563 Apr 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Faith is complete trust or confidence in something. I'm sure you have faith in yourself...
Are you talking about evidence based trust now? Please help out by using the word faith only one way.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
For a man that knows so many eloquent words it seems strange that the only form of faith you can think if is religious faith...
Then why don't you let me help you with words? We should strive to be clear with our words and eschew obfuscation (that was a self-referential joke, by the way http://goinswriter.com/write-clear/ .
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You have faith in your wife, yes?
Do you mean trust based on evidence, or religious faith? The answer is yes in one case and no in the other.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You have faith that you'll see the sun on the horizon tomorrow morning, yes?
Do you mean trust based on evidence, or religious faith? The answer is yes in one case and no in the other.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You have faith, just not faith in religion.
I used to be part owner of a bank, too - just not a lending bank.

We had a cabin in the Ozarks on the Current River. Our part of the bank was a stretch on the eastern side of the river.

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#518564 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you sweetie, lovely song (((*()*)))
It reminds me of how you are flying... You have made some really great posts today and I am just catching up!
It's my way of thanking you... LuLu... and saying well done.
God's Love sweet sister xx
Have to stop also for a bite of supper just now.

Fennario

#518565 Apr 11, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
I thought you claimed that atheists have faith.
Because you are equivocating, I don't know what you're talking about. Stop doing that, and maybe we can communicate.
Nice. Good work.
Tide with Beach wrote:
For me, talking about the way I think, "trust" is the more appropriate word every single time. Outside of a technical discussion, I may use the word "faith", but I never actually have faith in anything.
Bingo.

You're doing a nice job of keeping those two words distinct. This is more of that blurring that we were discussing yesterday - when the religious call our beliefs a religion, as part of a larger argument that we're the same as they are.

I believe that the motivation to do that stems from the desire to get creationism into the schools. After all, if atheism or evolution is just another religion also based on faith, why not teach both as equals, or so the argument goes.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#518566 Apr 11, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>It reminds me of how you are flying... You have made some really great posts today and I am just catching up!
It's my way of thanking you... LuLu... and saying well done.
God's Love sweet sister xx
Have to stop also for a bite of supper just now.
Yeah, I'm about to have dinner too and thank you for your kindness <3

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518567 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm about to have dinner too and thank you for your kindness <3
"Love is Kind" - Romans?

What is <3 =?
stupid me!

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#518568 Apr 11, 2013
**Morning Greetings**

“God grant me the serenity
to accept the people I cannot change,
the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it’s me.”

Thought for the day

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#518569 Apr 11, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
"Love is Kind" - Romans?
What is <3 =?
stupid me!
A love heart :)

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#518570 Apr 11, 2013
Today's Prayer

Dear God, Your Word and acts of the past demonstrate to me Your desires to reflect Your nature and power through every individual--including me! I know that's because those who reflect Your glory affect the world. I pray that in all situations I face, I will be obedient and dependent upon You and give You all the praise and glory, so that You will demonstrate Your power that all people may know of Your mighty acts and the glorious splendor of Your Kingdom. I'd like to be able to say, with the Apostle Paul, "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power" (1 Cor. 2:4-5). Thank you, Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Prime time with God

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#518571 Apr 11, 2013
Encouraging Words.....

Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."

John 6:35

K-Love

Fennario

#518572 Apr 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nothing about that was exaggerated or misrepresented. It wasn't a strawman, it was fact. There's no way a person that believes in A deity, any deity, can be considered atheist.
“There are many gods which Christians reject. I just believe in one less god then they do. The reasons that you might give for your atheism toward the Roman gods are likely the same reasons I would give for not believing in Jesus.”– Dan Barker
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your mind is too stuck on religious faith to think if any other faith. Maybe that's our fault for using the word "faith" too much.
There you go.

I think that Tide feels the same as I do: neither one of us wants to help Christians blur this distinction. We both seem to insist that the two ideas be referred to in clear and distinct ways. I prefer avoiding the word faith except when talking about what religious people do, and call what I do something else.

I can think of no legitimate reason for anybody to refuse to cooperate with that, and I am distrustful of the motives of anybody who won't.

Fennario

#518573 Apr 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What you have is a non-religious belief - that deities don't exist. Unless you can demonstrate that deities do not in fact exist, then you're opinion is a belief.
What does that have to do with religious faith? Nothing. That's an evidence based belief.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You do, you just said you do; "trust" also means faith. Actually, faith is complete trust - which I'm sure you possess that too.
What is complete trust? You were talking about marital trust. It is complete only in the sense that I could not trust my wife more. But it still is not religious faith, which is not only not based on evidence, but rejects contradictory evidence. If I had religious faith in my wife, it would mean that even if I walked in on her in bed with another man, that I would go on believing that she has always been faithful.

Can you admit that there is absolutely nothing that could possibly challenge your belief about your god, but that contrary evidence could change your mind about a wife?

That's one of the major differences between those two radically different concepts. One is based on evidence, is tentative, and is amenable to contradictory evidence. The other is not based on evidence, is indifferent to contradictory evidence, and is rigidly certain. One is a quality way of thinking, the other not.

Why do you insist on calling these two things by the same name in contexts where that causes ambiguity.

Did you know that there are even more definitions of faith? Consider good faith and the Jewish faith. Along with the other two, that's four meanings for the word right there.

You could say that I lost faith in Jehovah-Jesus and in the church, but those are two completely different things, like saying that someone had a shot at stardom and a shot at somebody else's head.

The first was loss of religious faith - the ending of belief without evidence. The second was the loss of trust, which was evidence based. I realized that the god didn't exist, and that the church couldn't be trusted.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518575 Apr 11, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly my sister as we do agree totally here on the subject, that flaming sword is apart of our daily armor to keep him from gaining a foothold in our lives, although I may never have expressed this clearly enough, I do enjoy the wisdom that is conveyed in your posts and always look forward to what you have to say on any given subject.
God is working things out for me my friend, as we say, pray for me and I'll pray for you. Blessings.
No wisdom is born without trial my friend, and I do not claim anything is mine. I purely understand some things in what I share. A fact is the Light of God – one analogy could be, thummin and urim - which seemed to disappear from biblical text. Something indescribable... but is in my little book. Not being a reader of books etc, I can draw from nothing except Biblical. Like everything these days there will be a negative equal to positive. There always is when something is not fully understood, so re. any negative, without a pure heart, it is not possible, as it is spiritual and very honestly factual. I do not believe in 'divination' as the term implies, nor in mediums of abuse, but I have to in the Spirit of Truth. I asked for nothing... so know a gift when given.

The rest is simply my testimony, and how things just fall into place. Believed or not it can never change. Facts are... and I am... my Father's daughter... and Time... will share the rest.

One might say it is speaking in a spiritual tongue - via the electronic pen [here]- which all who are born of the spirit will understand.

I know God is working things out for you – while keeping you on your toes and above the waves – even as we share... for you are not in here as often as you are now.~~smile~~

Remember

Dear father ((@))
God Bless Brother!

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518576 Apr 11, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Have a safe Blessed journey through time Irrira.(c:
We are going forward, not back, to when...
Rev. 22:
11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Dan.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

13 I am Alpha and Ome'ga, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, Is. 11.1 and the bright and morning star.

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

***This is not so hard to understand... is it my friend?

Blessings

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518577 Apr 11, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty bad an Australian has to correct me....
Third amendment.....
"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."
this means that a soldier cannot live in your house against your will."
I can plead that too....I'll cook for all those soldiers...LOL
You guys are teaching me to say LOL!
I'll stay with the other amendment...
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
"I refuse to comment...on grounds it may incrimate me"

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518578 Apr 11, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey C1...
I can share with you about "Church"....My church is NON- denominational....Former Catholics....Baptists....Jewis h...Buddhists...All are welcome. We just Share in Gods Love with everyone and the Community. I live within 15 miles of the Beach...so people wear shorts and flip flops...Hardly anyone dresses up (or smells good)...LOL....Our teenagers have gauges in their ears and play their guitars too loud....:-). The BASS vibrates everything...the chair,,,Me I can feel my body vibrating...But the teens and young people LOVE it....And I love that they are there worshipping God in their own way.
<quoted text>
Reminds me of one I visited, where early morning folk arrived with their thermos of coffee... children still in their pajamas... and a great and warm atmosphere among the whole thing!
>>>Hugs<<< my Butterfly Friend and
Shalom xx

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#518579 Apr 11, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. should I bring someone along? Luci? Sereh LL? Annie ??..

.. Yellodog just knocked on my door. You may now begin to pray ..
Did she come with childish drawings on her legal papers, wishing for your approval of the deeds, both of them?

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518580 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
It says a lot about what a poster thinks if said poster has faith in God, we who do, read the Bible, study it and try to live in way that we are guided to live, some of us even read all the Holy books and look into history to try to determine what is factual, what is a parable and what we are to take from it all.
The scripture posted usually has a meaning and is relevant to the topic being discussed and we also do it in order to exchange ideas and learn more about the most studied, controversial and misunderstood book ever written.
For many believers, scripture is a life instruction manual they are trying to fully understand and no amount of mockery will ever change that.
Nicely worded LuLu... Luv U 2
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Annie, I'm trying real hard :-)
You prove it well... <3
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardness of heart does not mean lack of compassion, as the world has become more painful, many have hardened their hearts toward God and one another, for self preservation. It's sort of like choosing to have no hope in order to avoid heart break.
As for your last question, I'll answer with a question, why do you think I posted it?
I myself need that reminder too, lest I start being nasty, which I don't like doing and am not meant to do.
Again and again, you are proof of anyone 'trying' but feel you underestimate yourself Sister Friend. Thank you for all you are sharing! <3

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518581 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
It says a lot about what a poster thinks if said poster has faith in God, we who do, read the Bible, study it and try to live in way that we are guided to live, some of us even read all the Holy books and look into history to try to determine what is factual, what is a parable and what we are to take from it all.
The scripture posted usually has a meaning and is relevant to the topic being discussed and we also do it in order to exchange ideas and learn more about the most studied, controversial and misunderstood book ever written.
For many believers, scripture is a life instruction manual they are trying to fully understand and no amount of mockery will ever change that.

Anthem Lyrics by Neil Diamond

[Spoken:]
"Transcend, Purify, Glorious"

Sanctus
Kyrie
Sanctus
Kyrie
Kyrie Gloria
Gloria Holy
Holy Holy
Gloria

Sanctus
Kyrie
Sanctus
Kyrie
Kyrie Gloria
Gloria Holy
Holy Holy
Gloria

[Spoken:]
"Transcend, Purify, Glorious"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 3 min Johnny 4,893
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min manjunathramaswamy 778,324
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min scirocco 119,692
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min truth 560,447
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 22 min RiccardoFire 96,852
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 42 min onemale 265,446
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 51 min risque 191
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 58 min risque 137
More from around the web