Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#518587 Apr 11, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>??
What nonbelievers do, is none of my concern.
Why are you under this illusion that Christianity cares what you do? what Christians are you hanging around lol.
You have heard the great commission. As far as Christianity is now concerned, it's debt to you is paid. You can now go fly a kite.
Hey Tri :-)

You crack me up Bro... LOL

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#518588 Apr 11, 2013
WOW...

"When Jesus was questioned by one of the chief priests how did he react?
John 18: 19-23,“And so the chief priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and about his teaching. Jesus answered him:“I have spoken to the world publicly. I always taught in a synagogue and in the temple, where all the Jews come together; and I spoke nothing in secret. Why do you question me? Question those who have heard what I spoke to them. See! These know what I said.” After he said these things, one of the officers that was standing by gave Jesus a slap in the face and said:“Is that the way you answer the chief priest?” Jesus answered him:“If I spoke wrongly, bear witness concerning the wrong; but if rightly, why do you hit me?”
Did Jesus incriminate himself? Never! So the question is, how can we be like Jesus and not ever incriminate ourselves with our friends or elders (chief priest)? I believe the number one rule should be, never incriminate yourself."

Read more at http://www.jwstruggle.com/2 011/04/how-to-test-the-waters- with-a-jw-friend/
"If you want to test the waters with a friend or family member I recommend taking it slow. Don’t jump into the deep end of the pool like I did, stick your toe in the shallow end first. How can you do this? I think the key word is doubts.
Jude 1:22,“Also, continue showing mercy to some that have doubts.”

Elders are told to show mercy to those who have doubts. Doubts are very common. If you wanted to test a friend you could say something like,“sometimes I have doubts about my faith and don’t know what to do.” You just told them you have doubts so if they do also, you just gave them an opportunity to tell you about theirs. If they say,“really, what do you doubt about?” DO NOT incriminate yourself, say nothing. Ask them,“do you ever have doubts?” If they say no then you know they are definitely not of the “conscious class”. This person will be a hard nut to crack in my opinion. I would just leave it at that. Say,“It’s no big deal, I want to keep it to myself and wait on Jehovah.” Just say no more. This tells them they are not going to get anything at all out of you unless they express their doubts too. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. Never express anything with two JW’s because then they have two witness’s to hang you if they want to."

Read more at http://www.jwstruggle.com/2 011/04/how-to-test-the-waters- with-a-jw-friend/

WOW... JW's didn't want to know me when I washed up their dishes at their homes for 6 months! I was 'just the maid'- lol - and not good enough to go to their church unbaptized by them.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#518589 Apr 11, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of one I visited, where early morning folk arrived with their thermos of coffee... children still in their pajamas... and a great and warm atmosphere among the whole thing!
>>>Hugs<<< my Butterfly Friend and
Shalom xx
Catcher1 asked in good faith....So I explained my church experience....Not everyone would like it...Some feel they must be dressed up to be in God presence....Christians are ALL different and are on their own Spritual walk.....There were many years I didn't go to church either...So I understand when people say they don't go to church but Love and follow God and his Word. God see's what is in out hearts.....

Flutterbye kisses....

http://youtu.be/PSKyqi9lQiw

I think in this life we are in the Pupal stage..We are "Pupating Larvae"

:-)

Love to you too Friend....

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518590 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Peace, it's just so lovely, do you like Chris Tomlin? This album is so beautiful :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_BGR7EShWAUXX
It is a full album and would like to enjoy tomorrow sweety... thank you! Ja... I know a few of his songs... there are SO many great ones to choose from it is hard to have a favorite.

I like this Brian Doekenson too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
How can I say there is no God.
>>>hugs<<<

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#518591 Apr 11, 2013
Annie J.....

Now....what are those Bears going to do????

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-427454...

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#518592 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It doesn't. Writers through divine prophecy, call you those things, God calls you those things in warnings to believers. No one here wrote anything in the Bible.
Okay...I will ask...

How do you think that we should respond when a Christian calls a non-Christian names such as...evil, abominable, wicked, child of satan...well you get the message. What should we say in return...what would you expect our feelings to be over that.

All I ever get is...it is in the Bible...Jesus said so I can too...

IMO

Humans speak the words...yet put the responsibility of those words back on Jesus. It is as if that makes man a little less responsible for having used those words with another.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#518593 Apr 11, 2013
Will Catch up Later....

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518594 Apr 11, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Catcher1 asked in good faith....So I explained my church experience....Not everyone would like it...Some feel they must be dressed up to be in God presence....Christians are ALL different and are on their own Spritual walk.....There were many years I didn't go to church either...So I understand when people say they don't go to church but Love and follow God and his Word. God see's what is in out hearts.....
Flutterbye kisses....
http://youtu.be/PSKyqi9lQiw
I think in this life we are in the Pupal stage..We are "Pupating Larvae"
Love to you too Friend....
Amen to that!
I saw that >>>Epi<<<
As you know I don't go to any church but do believe our body is our temple. God's Love, Word, and all that I am capable of holding him with... body, mind, soul and spirit belong to him 110%. I know no other way than to simply share this communion and rejoice.

The pupae is a wonderful analogy of what true transformation is... and even more-so... into wings!
xxx returned with His Love Sister Friend and always great to share with you, IF I can catch you!~~smile~~
How have you been?

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518595 Apr 11, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
A dream is a microscope through which we look at the hidden occurrences in our soul.
Inspirational Good night Quotes
C U
If only we could be not so judgmental and see into a soul who means so well, or is totally innocent of accusations made against them, due to misinterpretation of what they meant.
That... is worth dreaming about!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#518596 Apr 11, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...I will ask...
How do you think that we should respond when a Christian calls a non-Christian names such as...evil, abominable, wicked, child of satan...well you get the message. What should we say in return...what would you expect our feelings to be over that.
All I ever get is...it is in the Bible...Jesus said so I can too...
IMO
Humans speak the words...yet put the responsibility of those words back on Jesus. It is as if that makes man a little less responsible for having used those words with another.
Well... I think people can respond anyway they like but, I'm not sure it's fair to blame the believers who don't do that for the ones who do. Jesus never taught believers to say anything like that to people and people should not do it. When it comes to sharing scripture though, unfortunately such words are part of some of it but in my case and a few others, the scripture isn't posted to offend anyone.

My issue with the statement made, "your religion teaches you to call people names', is that I don't believe it does, I believe people choose to do that.

I'd be interested in finding out if your and others churches ever taught parishioners to say those things to people, I haven't seen it myself but it's all very different over there.

“A Universal Cause”

The Cosmos

#518597 Apr 11, 2013
Lifelover wrote:
Good Ole Darwin and Lupylu.. How come you both have hong kong on your isp..???Neither one of you are there??Click it and there is Hong Kong topix..
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause, we just wanted to go there, Hong Kong, not another topix :-)
ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh they are on honeymoon!
[[[ LL]]]

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#518598 Apr 11, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I came in peace. I doubt I was here five minutes before Dim resumed calling me a liar again, momentum form a previous encounter. I asked all of you if you cared to intervene. You claimed that you did, although you never produced a link showing that, just several that didn't.
The rest didn't even claim that. They just sat idly by while a visitor was lambasted by a Christian regular. That's when my attitude toward the Christians here formed. I offer you that amount of respect back.
I suggest that in the future, you treat your visitors with more respect. You need to admonish the ones that are out of line. Your silence was interpreted as anything from tacit support to indifference. It's a little late to be complaining about the reaction. I'm just as indifferent to your wants now as you were to mine then.
<quoted text>
I would suggest taking action proactively in the future. It's probably a little late to restore good feelings.
Who is Dim?
My work at times takes me away from this thread for days sometimes weeks at a time. Direct me to this time period you speak of when you were lambasted so that I can go read and form an opinion. What you speak is not rare to this room, many before you have the same complaint. Skom is one that fought for his right to post and for acceptance ...Micah was another. They came from opposite ends of the spectrum yet they both faced the same agenda ...the same preconceived notions. Annie J is another.

At the same time try to understand that this room has seen it's share of trolls. The people here learned the hard way that all newcomers are not as they appear. The regulars here have been hounded and stalked throughout the halls of Topix. Violence begets violence. To my knowledge Dr Shrink is the latest troll and he simply refuses to go away.

Show me where these people stoned you without cause.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#518599 Apr 11, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is Dim?
My work at times takes me away from this thread for days sometimes weeks at a time. Direct me to this time period you speak of when you were lambasted so that I can go read and form an opinion. What you speak is not rare to this room, many before you have the same complaint. Skom is one that fought for his right to post and for acceptance ...Micah was another. They came from opposite ends of the spectrum yet they both faced the same agenda ...the same preconceived notions. Annie J is another.
At the same time try to understand that this room has seen it's share of trolls. The people here learned the hard way that all newcomers are not as they appear. The regulars here have been hounded and stalked throughout the halls of Topix. Violence begets violence. To my knowledge Dr Shrink is the latest troll and he simply refuses to go away.
Show me where these people stoned you without cause.
No one did. Nutty Teddy calls Skom dim. I had read many of Teddy's posts before he came here as have many others, no doubt.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#518600 Apr 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Don't tell me your afraid of using the word "faith", too.
I'm afraid of you deliberately confusing religious faith and evidence based belief to make them seem as if they are the same thing.

But it seems like you're living in terror of using the word "believe" in its place. This issue would have died a long time ago if you had.

As long as you insist on using your preferred language, there's going to be resistance. You've been given a valid reason for our preference by at least Tide, Catcher and me, and I can't see any legitimate reason why you haven't accommodated us yet. Your steadfast refusal to be cooperative can only be interpreted one way - you prefer ambiguity, conflation and equivocation over plain speaking.

Is that correct?

In any event, expect that when you use the word "faith" without a qualifier that you will need to be asked which of several possible definitions you intended before your question can be answered.

Or, you can just be unambiguous the first time.

Fennario

#518601 Apr 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is a word. It is a noun.
It has a meaning, a definition.
It's definition is as follows:
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing.
2. belief that is not based on proof.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.
"A definition"? There is more than one definition there. Without further specification, I wouldn't know which one you meant.

Besides, I don't see a definition that includes the word "evidence," which is the sine qua non of evidence based belief. Also, the degree of certitude is important to the definition. Religious faith is inflexibly resistant to contradictory evidence.

By the way, why did you abridge the dictionary definition you chose? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Atheist dont believe in the existence of deities. That clearly falls under definition #2. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it is what it is.
Now you've specified a definition, which you do not do using the word "faith" alone.

If your intention is to impose your preferred way of using these words, you will not succeed. You probably cannot argue any of us into embracing ambiguity, especially when it benefits the religious.

We are talking about an ancient way of thinking that is a dead end, and the greatest intellectual advance of the last three millennia, rational skepticism, and you want to call them both faith. Clear thinkers use different language for different ideas.

“Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#518602 Apr 11, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you could not begin to turn any of us Christians into atheist or to make us turn from our FAITH .
God is very Powerful and we have the sheild of Jesus Christ. Don't ever think you can force God's hand!
No one here is twisting your arm to stay.
Just remember age is creeping up on you.The journey out could be a beautiful passing.
Part way through my post I said I was not interested in turning a Christian, but I will argue against things that some Christians do that are harmful.

The part regarding the shield of Jesus Christ is, of course, imaginary. You are protected from changing as long as you will yourself to stay where you are. If you change that will be because you have reasoned it out and discovered as many of us do that everything you lived by is a myth (except of course some of the positives of the Christian religion, such as the Golden Rule).

Though I, like most people, including most Christians, have no real desire to end my life any sooner than necessary, I do not fear death as being the end, because when it ends I will not know anything more anyway. Just prior to the end, I will no doubt regret that I couldn't stay a little longer to see what might happen in the future.

I think most devout Christians do not want to die either, and most devout Christians also mourn the death of a family member or friend, whereas if they were truly believing that they have gone to something better, they would be cheering that they have died, and even more if they died young so they could get to Heaven sooner.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#518603 Apr 11, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I want you to think about how your church has treated unbelievers for centuries. That's all changing now.
Your Christian opinion is welcome in your home and church. I suggest you consider confining it to those places.
.. religion and belief cannot, and must never be, a private matter because it's part of the human experience, man's history ..

.. isn't what you're suggesting similar to telling gays to confine their orientation to the bedroom ??..

.. while attempts to dictate public policy by the religious right are particularly troublesome, we would not have the freedoms we have today if not for vigorous religious debate ..

Fennario

#518604 Apr 11, 2013
simplyput wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you could not begin to turn any of us Christians into atheist or to make us turn from our FAITH .
And that's why you can have the word "faith" all to yourselves.

I make no such claim about anything, including my disbelief in gods. I agree with Bill Maher, who noted that if your god appeared before him, he'd say, "Oh look at that, I was wrong. There he is. My bad. Praise the Lord!"

Do you see how those are radically different ways of thinking? They produce radically different ideas about the universe. Yours has magic in it, and invisible realms outside of nature inhabited ghosts.

I would be ashamed to have the way I think confused with the way you think by calling them both faith. My "faith" in the nonexistence of gods is no stronger than the quality and quantity of evidence for it and amenable to new evidence, whereas yours is rigidly inflexible, not based on evidence at all, and as you just indicated, refractory to evidence.

Religious faith is indifferent to what may be true and what evidence may surface to contradict it.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#518605 Apr 11, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... I think people can respond anyway they like but, I'm not sure it's fair to blame the believers who don't do that for the ones who do. Jesus never taught believers to say anything like that to people and people should not do it. When it comes to sharing scripture though, unfortunately such words are part of some of it but in my case and a few others, the scripture isn't posted to offend anyone.
My issue with the statement made, "your religion teaches you to call people names', is that I don't believe it does, I believe people choose to do that.
I'd be interested in finding out if your and others churches ever taught parishioners to say those things to people, I haven't seen it myself but it's all very different over there.
I wasn't pointing at you directly and I wasn't placing blame. I don't "think" either that if it is the inspired "word" that God intended for "name calling" to be a way of witnessing.

To answer your question as to if I was taught to name call. I don't know if I can answer that. If it was taught...then somehow I stayed immune to that.

I say that because I have a sister...raised in the same house with me...attended the same churches as I did...taught basically the same doctrine...and we are totally different. She often refers to people in ways that I would never dream of. She is bigoted...racist...and what some would call a "fundie". LOL So I am not sure. I just know that it never crossed my mind to call people those names.

Maybe I shouldn't have directed my question to you...I was just curious as to what some thought as to what response do they expect to hear. Just seems as if the best way to understand each other is to put ourselves in each others shoes.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#518606 Apr 11, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Find myself wondering at the very idea of where Christian opinion is welcome on here….I cant say that I questioned it before, perhaps my own perception has become skewed at this point.
The deep thinkers from all 'sides' seem to have left the building and those that remained have little to work with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 183,730
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 93,160
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 24 min wade2 979,591
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 26 min AussieBobby 286,135
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 53 min kent 668,185
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr AussieBobby 46,052
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 3 hr MUQ2 1,109
More from around the web