Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#518443 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is a word. It is a noun.
It has a meaning, a definition.
It's definition is as follows:
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing.
2. belief that is not based on proof.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.
Atheist dont believe in the existence of deities. That clearly falls under definition #2.
I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it is what it is.
And based on your 2 versions of faith, I consider myself to fall under your second, secular version. I have confidence based in experience.
Fine.

Stay stupid.

I really don't care.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#518444 Apr 10, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
I always had bathrooms and running water,nice schools and churches, but I remember the talks my Mom and Dad said about their growing up, It was quite interesting to listen too.
We really should be Thankful for what we do have, and I certainly am. Times have certainly changed , some for the good , but I can see that some changes have HURT mankind.
I see so many spoiled children, that I wonder how their generations are going to be like----scary to think about.
Saw a good example tonight at the grocery store. Three people in line, I'm in the middle. First up was a lady guessing in her 80s that was a bit slow. Behind me was a man mid 20s that let everyone know he was pissed to have to wait. It is a shame that many people have zero respect for older people but the bible does confirm it will become worse.

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#518445 Apr 10, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
This from a guy that has been mocking Christ and Christians since I first saw you. Take you own advice.
You have never seen me.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#518447 Apr 10, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a good example of a man that speaks of tolerance and has little to none (unless you agree with him)
Good point.

Tolerance:

1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own.
2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
3. interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own.

Tolerance doesn't seem to big a big hit on Topix.

From either theists or atheists, to be fair.
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#518448 Apr 10, 2013
http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/10/news/economy/... So how many of you people out there gonna' keep on 'brown-nosin' this dude before you wake up and REALIZE who he really is??
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#518449 Apr 10, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
you got free will,take crowd idiots like you and fly overseas,
for sure they be your last journey
american doesn't need half d...heads like you,and overseas countries jails are empty waiting for scumbags like you
Was I talkin' to you,BOWY??!! Then shut your fat lips!!

Clearwater, FL

#518450 Apr 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have never seen me.
True. Seen you posting.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#518451 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Tolerance:
1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own.
2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
3. interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own.
I'm generally a tolerant person.

But I can't tolerate stupid.

In other words, I don't suffer fools.

I'm in a bad mood. Jet lag I think.

Clearwater, FL

#518452 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Tolerance:
Make no mistake, I have little. I do hold my peace often and pray to see if God wish me to speak or not. That shouldn't be misunderstood that I'm in agreement on certain things. Just see at times it best to move on.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#518453 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nothing about that was exaggerated or misrepresented. It wasn't a strawman, it was fact. There's no way a person that believes in A deity, any deity, can be considered atheist.
I didn't call you an atheist. I didn't say that a person who believes in a deity could be considered an atheist.

So you're not arguing with me on that point. Who are you arguing with?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If either one of us is attempting to conceal truth, it's you.
Your mind is too stuck on religious faith to think if any other faith.
Why even claim that atheists have faith if you aren't talking about religious faith? What possible purpose could you have? If you are talking about trust, why not say trust? Why make a point to say that atheists have trust? Isn't that obvious? Trust is essential for everyone. Do you assume that atheists don't know that? Is that your motivation?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Maybe that's our fault for using the word "faith" too much.
It's a failing in the English language.

Faith based thinking isn't always religious. Saying "religious faith" excludes all mechanically identical kinds of faith that are not religious in nature.

In a technical discussion, or any time you're discussing religion, you should always differentiate between faith and trust.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You do, you just said you do; "trust" also means faith. Actually, faith is complete trust - which I'm sure you possess that too.
No, RR, I do not possess complete trust.

You cannot be "sure" that I possess that too. You can only have faith that it is so, despite me telling you that I do not.

The only thing that I do know for sure is the truth that I exist. I don't need faith for that either, or trust. It's true as long as I can think it. If it's not, truth and knowledge are nonsense concepts.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, but it's not "belief" we're tuck on here. I'm not saying anything about you having any kind of religious belief.
What you have is a non-religious belief - that deities don't exist.
Unless you can demonstrate that deities do not in fact exist, then you're opinion is a belief.
Do you think my belief is equal to your own?

If you do, that's where you would be wrong.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There ya go. You believe there are no gods.
We're done here, thank you.
I'll be watching for your inevitable misrepresentation of my position in the future. I trust you'll use it.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#518455 Apr 10, 2013
Phil Gray wrote:
<quoted text>I fart up your nose.
Gesundheit!
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#518458 Apr 10, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw a good example tonight at the grocery store. Three people in line, I'm in the middle. First up was a lady guessing in her 80s that was a bit slow. Behind me was a man mid 20s that let everyone know he was pissed to have to wait. It is a shame that many people have zero respect for older people but the bible does confirm it will become worse.
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
I have actually seen that same thing.

It is not surprising to hear some of the children,(very young, 8 and 9 , some younger) speaking very rudely to their parents, that is something that is hard for me to digest.

Respect for Family is going out, let alone respect for all mankind.

It doesn't take but just a few minutes, to teach our children to be respectable, and considerate to others.

Teach with LOVE, not an IRON FIST or abuse.

Clearwater, FL

#518460 Apr 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm generally a tolerant person.
But I can't tolerate stupid.
In other words, I don't suffer fools.
I'm in a bad mood. Jet lag I think.
Word mean things. Most of the confessed Christians here are not stupid. Reading your postings for a few months prove you are not generally tolerant of anything other than your narrow pov. It bothers me when people that claim this as you just did are not what you say.
simplyput

Aurora, CO

#518461 Apr 10, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Word mean things. Most of the confessed Christians here are not stupid. Reading your postings for a few months prove you are not generally tolerant of anything other than your narrow pov.

It bothers me when people that claim this as you just did are not what you say.
There is a word for that--- It is called 'LIAR.

Clearwater, FL

#518462 Apr 10, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>
I have actually seen that same thing.
It is not surprising to hear some of the children,(very young, 8 and 9 , some younger) speaking very rudely to their parents, that is something that is hard for me to digest.
Respect for Family is going out, let alone respect for all mankind.
It doesn't take but just a few minutes, to teach our children to be respectable, and considerate to others.
Teach with LOVE, not an IRON FIST or abuse.
I'm 39 years old today. Anyway being a child of the 80s in pop culture men and fathers have been portrayed as a joke for quite some time. At some point it hit me that the real people I've known are nothing like this. My own father worked his ass off to provide a good home and most of my friends dads did the same. But it is having an impact as now many homes have children with no father. Sad indeed. Also with laws that didn't exist when I was in school most teachers can do nothing with unruly kids and the kids know it. I got the ruler once at school and I should have. Today that teacher would either be out of a job or in jail. Sad what it has become.

Catcher1

Hermosa Beach, CA

#518463 Apr 10, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Word mean things. Most of the confessed Christians here are not stupid. Reading your postings for a few months prove you are not generally tolerant of anything other than your narrow pov. It bothers me when people that claim this as you just did are not what you say.
I'm far more tolerant than you are.

For example, I don't go around calling lesbians perverts.

Your own wife even.

“Jesus is coming soon”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#518464 Apr 10, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I did try but its not working so well. Thanks.
Obviously it's a Youtube problem then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min Team America 42,188
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 26 min Chuck 690,486
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 27 min Robert F 989,758
I absolutely HATE my LG V20 smartphone!!! 30 min Doctor REALITY 1
Slop your Hogs again please God!!! 54 min 1967 is calling 2
US Marines Mostly Gay (Oct '11) 4 hr Mike 2232 42
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 5 hr Rabbis on the Run 140
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 9 hr Paul is dead 632
More from around the web