Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#518397 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes you do have faith.
Faith is complete trust or confidence in something, it isn't limited to a religious or Christian definition.
You say you have confidence that God isn't real or is unlikely to be real as depicted from the bible.
I say you have faith that God isn't real or is unlikely to be real as depicted from the bible.
Same thing.
Fallacy of Equivocation.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#518398 Apr 10, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>**PORTIONS DELETED**TO BOOOOTS*These guys, the gang, are pathetic and that is putting it nicely.
.. who are the gang members? Do they pack heat, ride motorcycles? Why are they pathetic ..

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#518399 Apr 10, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn’t really think you would humble yourselves Boooots. I knew you didn’t believe. I am saying though that if you don’t believe in God then the questions you ask are bogus. You don’t want to know. You just want an excuse to harass and abuse Christians. The reason I say this is, well look at the way the gang came in here to let us have it. I don’t mind people discussing things if they want to. But when they harass that’s a different story.
I don’t know who gets abused in other threads nor by who but I do not go into unbeliever threads and abuse them. So what do you suggest needs to be done to solve these problems? Me, I don’t think it will be solved. But would love to hear how you think it could be,
I already told you why I came Boots. It sure was not to argue or read other people argue.
HFN
From what I gather from recent posts and I just went back to post number 1 and the first couple pages and it seems that initially this particular thread was set up for Christians to share their experiences, and if that is the only purpose then yes non believers have no point in being here, and I applaud those who want to do that with other people of like mind.

I would somewhat question why one would choose a discussion site (which I understood Topix was set up as) as a place for mutual support rather than a specific web site designed for believers, which I think there are many online.

To me discussion implies being open minded, facing hard questions, disagreements, but doing so respecting the others as fellow inhabitants of this planet with equal rights.

I have been guilty, especially after being on Topix for a while, of not being quite as respectful of others, but I came into that after seeing daily personal attacks on the same individuals that in some cases went on for years, from the same "Christians".

One of the biggest "bugs" in my life has always been bigotry and prejudice, and I saw much of that in my first few months on Topix, and that has not changed. When I came to this thread, more recently, for whatever reason I happened onto it, I saw the same things happening here. Also I saw many of the same people from both sides of the coin as were posting on other sites where I post.

I think this thread is not one I want to be on. Firstly, I am not here to turn people away from their beliefs, except if those beliefs cause harm to others (which is the case with some of the beliefs I have objected to on other threads). Most of my family, friends, and people I know are believers, and I am certainly not attempting to turn them into atheists, though I would also not be particularly polite to them if they started acting on some of their prejudices.

I will argue though, especially on a discussion site, with a believer who makes a statement to me which I do not think is correct, and/or I will question him on blanket statements he makes which I know there is no known information available to back up what he says. It troubles me a bit that people make belief statements into fact statements when no facts have ever been found.

I usually only argue adamantly though with people who have already indicated to me that they don't expect to be respected, because they don't show respect.

I am going to give this particular thread a few more days, to see if I want to stay here. It would be healthy for me to leave Topix altogether but I must admit to becoming addicted to it.

With Established Harem

#518400 Apr 10, 2013
simplyput wrote:
<quoted text>**POSTED TO AIN**
Atheist only believe in themselves.
.. that's plain silly ..

With Established Harem

#518401 Apr 10, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>Awww ...offended ...go find a tit to suckle and it'll be all better.
.. that'll work ..

Location hidden

#518402 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
LMAO, Tide...
I say:
Atheists don't believe in the existence of deities.
Then you reply:
Okay. Good start.
Then you say:
I don't have any faith at all in my non belief.
Followed by:
Atheism is a lack of belief.
====
Which is it?
You believe there are no deities, THAT is your belief.
"I have a non-belief in the existence of deities."
"I don't believe in the existence of deities".
Other than semantics, what the f_ck is the difference??
Atheism is a lack of belief in deities.

Whatever beliefs I may personally have are irrelevant to what atheism is, and what makes me an atheist.

Do you understand?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#518403 Apr 10, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
I'm not sure anyone rises to his level on Topix.
Decidedly not from the opposition.

Thought this page might be interesting:

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/24/my_day_at_wes...

“IS”

Since: Sep 08

~~ Finding Her Way ~~

#518404 Apr 10, 2013
LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause, we just wanted to go there, Hong Kong, not another topix :-)
Oh Hi Lupylu.. Just click your heels three times and you and duane are there,HUH??? I always wanted to visit..BUT it looks like a very,very crowded city.. I am not one for crowds... Hope you are still here..

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#518405 Apr 10, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mornin Mac....
Great to see you
:-)

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#518406 Apr 10, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey HFY,
I have to ask, after all our past conversations, if you are serious, why do you say in me it is a beautiful thing?
Wow 6000 miles, that’s way too far to live from your parents. I know you miss them. I’m thinking that you all as a whole put more importance on parental approval than we do. If so that is a good thing. That is if a person has good parents.
HFN
Because in some people, faith is an ugly thing. It's used to produce and justify immoral behavior. I don't even have to list any examples, because everyone immediately knows what I mean.

But here's a nice, light example anyways:

With Established Harem

#518407 Apr 10, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you upset that she tried to get the thread back on topic with scripture discussions ?
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's upset?
I just told her if she doesnt like the threads direction she could leave or skip over the posts she viewed as spam..........
.. admit it, you'd miss me. Everyone dreams of the HL experience ..

“IS”

~~ Finding Her Way ~~

#518408 Apr 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =jjNgn4r6SOAXX
Hi Happy Lesbo.. geez! His surgery is Friday..I dont remember writing tomorrow..But I did.. Both of my sons are coming by to pick him up and put him in the passenger seat in the truck..Then off I go to Grand Rapids,MI. Just jumping in head first here.. Catch me..I am drowning in BS..Yes.I am reading..

Location hidden

#518409 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Wrong. So wrong.
Use me as an example. I believe in the existence of God, very much so.
There's no way you could consider me an atheist because I believe that Zeus isn't real, I believe in A deity which negates the possibility of me being considered atheist.
LOL. Beat the shit outta that strawman.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, just the word, "faith".
I thought you claimed that atheists have faith.

Because you are equivocating, I don't know what you're talking about. Stop doing that, and maybe we can communicate.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You won't use it.
You use "trust" instead.
For me, talking about the way I think, "trust" is the more appropriate word every single time. Outside of a technical discussion, I may use the word "faith", but I never actually have faith in anything.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
A *particular* lack of belief is what makes a person an atheist, ie; the lack if belief in the existence of deities.
Atheists have loads of beliefs, including their belief about deities.
I say it's a belief because its not a fact, unless of course you can show evidence that deities don't exist....
If you can't, your opinion that deities don't exist us your belief.
Atheists are as varied as all humans, except for that which makes them atheists.

Lacking a belief is not a belief.

You can believe there are no gods without using faith.

“IS”

~~ Finding Her Way ~~

#518410 Apr 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo.. I love a woman singer.. I certainly can relate... What a Blessing these Celtic Women are.. Soo Divine.. ENJOY.

Location hidden

#518411 Apr 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about religious faith.
The word "faith" is not limited to a religious context.
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with you having faith in your belief about deities?
<quoted text>
Again, you're stuck on religious faith, not faith.
Faith is complete trust or confidence in something.
I'm sure you have faith in yourself...
<quoted text>
For a man that knows so many eloquent words it seems strange that the only form of faith you can think if is religious faith...
You have faith in your wife, yes?
You have faith that you'll see the sun on the horizon tomorrow morning, yes?
You have faith, just not faith in religion.
You just turned your equivocation fallacy into a strawman fallacy.

I'm disappointed.

“IS”

~~ Finding Her Way ~~

#518412 Apr 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you upset that she tried to get the thread back on topic with scripture discussions ?
<quoted text>
.. admit it, you'd miss me. Everyone dreams of the HL experience ..
What experience?? You mentioned it many times..Whats all the excitement about?? Is satisfaction Guaranteed???

With Established Harem

#518413 Apr 10, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>**PORTIONS SNIPPED**I am going to give this particular thread a few more days, to see if I want to stay here.
.. if I beg, will you stay? Your calm is needed on this thread ..

With Established Harem

#518414 Apr 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Because in some people, faith is an ugly thing. It's used to produce and justify immoral behavior. I don't even have to list any examples, because everyone immediately knows what I mean.
But here's a nice, light example anyways:
.. quit defiling my church !!..

.. hi ya, HFY ..

Smooch, HL

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#518415 Apr 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. this logic is correct unfortunately some theologians and bible translations claim Ephesians 4:18 also refers to intelligence ..
Ephesians 4:18 (CJB) "Their INTELLIGENCE has been shrouded in darkness, and they are estranged from the life of God, because of the ignorance in them, which in turn comes from resisting God’s will."
.. let's delete my reference to intelligence. Can we agree that this verse claims non-believers are ignorant? If so, all Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, Jews, Shintos and Hindus are dense. Since Ephesians is part of the New Testament, isn't this an affront to members of the human tribe who are not Christian ??..
What do you suppose the ignorance is in that context?

I've heard this, sums it up pretty well.

Remember, it is in this context, not all.

He speaks of a simple and well-known fact - a fact that is seen now as well as then that the understanding becomes darkened by indulgence in sin.

A person who is intemperate, has no just views of the government of the appetites.

A person who is unchaste, has no perception of the loveliness of purity.

A person who is avaricious or covetous, has no just views of the beauty of benevolence.

A person who indulges in low vices, will weaken his mental powers, and render himself incapable of intellectual effort.

Indulgence in vice destroys the intellect as well as the body, and unfits a person to appreciate the truth of a proposition in morals, or in mathematics, or the beauty of a poem, as well as the truth and beauty of religion.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#518416 Apr 10, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. sin is "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law." Leviticus contains many 'divine laws' which some Christians say no longer apply, others disagree ..
They don't apply, unless you're a Levite...

It's a shame that fact is not well known.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 27 min Bongo 100,536
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 47 min Sky Writer 31 184,288
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr guest 670,351
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr another viewer 980,168
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Jehowa Witness 46,179
Treating others with respect 5 hr UnderstandPeople 14
Do any attractive cougars or milfs want to trad... (Dec '11) 6 hr Seejay 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 19 hr Pegasus 286,455
More from around the web