|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>You would be surprised how few people actually believe in God. Most seem to believe in books and charismatic story tellers.
Yep.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yes, YOU posted it.
Are you doing what LAWEST did - sniping with offensive scripture and then trying to evade culpability for your choice by hiding behind it? I doubt that that will play well with the humanists.
<quoted text>
It wasn't difficult to comprehend. This was your scripture:
"Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist" -1 John 2:22
You chose to tell the entire thread that unbelievers are liars, and the enemy of goodness and righteousness, assuming that you equate Christ with those qualities.
I'm here to tell you that your days of doing that without blowback may be numbered. You have harmed many, many lives with that filth, making atheists the most despised demographic this side of the law.
This is what your church - and people like you that spread its filth - have done to us. From http://atheists.org/content/bigotry-worst-aga... :
"Bigotry Worst Against Atheists - The Ultimate Outsiders? New Report Casts Atheists "Others" Beyond Morality And Community In America - March 25, 2006
"A new study ... has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society. Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."
"Disturbingly, Atheists are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public," despite being only 3% of the U.S. population. Edgell said that Atheists "play the role that Catholics, Jews and communists have played in the past" in that we provide "a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."
You'd have to be a pedophile to be despised more than an atheist.
Let's read some of that again:
Atheist are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public" and atheists "provide a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society."
If that isn't defamatory in the worst way and utterly unacceptable, what is? Wouldn't you want such people as that article described to be prevented from teaching, adopting, holding high public office, serving on juries, and coaching? That's exactly what happened. Atheists have been or still are prevented from doing those things because of this hate speech.
Are we really expected to sit for that? Should we not all object when Christians - including those on this thread - try to depict us in such terms? Do they not deserve our best contempt? Are we not justified in undermining the public's perception of people who speak about us like this? Should they not be shamed and ridiculed into silence?
I have worked hard, and lived an exemplary life of service, charity, and productivity, and I refuse to be demeaned like that by mindless religites without fighting back. I encourage others to do the same.
And I encourage you to stop posting like that.
I cant believe your that sensitive and shallow. You need to take some self esteem courses.

Look in the mirror everyday when you get up and say things like:
I'm good enough!
I'm smart enough!
and doggonnit people like me!!

Ok Stuart?

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Truths wrote:
<quoted text>
We Christians are NOT what is causing non believers grief....it is the non believers own conscience that convicts them. Then the non believer thrashes out at the Christian ...who all along JUST wanted to help YOU unburden your life....and improve the lives of your loved ones.
Deb...it does not unburden my life to be called ignorant, evil, wicked, daughter of satan and all those other terms that some of you like to use. Do those people want to help me unburden and improve my life? Is that what you call loving your neighbor?

Is calling someone an abomination and telling them that they will burn in hell building them up or tearing them down? Is that letting your light so shine that others will follow?

I knew...I should have just played solitaire this morning while I drank my coffee!

I still love ya anyway my friend...even though you got my blood flowing this morning! LOL

May your day be filled with the sunshine that warms your face...that same sunshine that touches my face and makes the day worth living.

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Did I do that? What did I call Epi? I merely objected to being called a liar and an antichrist. What's "lovely" about that?
This is the kind of thing that so many of us on this thread are finding unacceptable and detestable: this Christian double standard. You seem to expect to be permitted to post any amount of calumny and slander for free. You seem to think that you're "lovely" for doing it, and are outraged that anybody would object or criticize you.
New rules: As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
From Condell:
"Iíve been hearing quite a lot of bitching and whining in the press lately about aggressive, intolerant, atheism ... It seems religion can dish it out okay but it canít take it: like a street thug who calls the police when his victims fight back."
Exactly. After centuries of victimizing others, Christians don't get to play victim now that we others are can defend ourselves and even retaliate.
You don't get to crap out your demeaning language - "liar," "fool," "antichrist," etc.- unanswered any more. Get used to it.
And if you do, and get called for it, don't whine. It's unseemly.
Agree with you 100% on that count.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
It's confusing and depressing seeing childlike adults - people that believe in magic and in invisible, ghostlike father figures giving them orders and punishing them for disobedience - calling people like River Tam and me children.
What is more infantilizimg than Christianity? Being childlike is esteemed in Christianity. The model for existence in Christianity is the child's perspective. The Christian is taught that heís born bad and needs constant guidance and supervision from a Heavenly Father figure, who is to be obeyed and not questioned. "Jesus" admonishes them to be childlike.
The psychology of Christianity perpetuates subordination and dependency, and esteems unknowing and docility. It's authoritarian, paternalistic, filled with superstition, ritual, mythology (stories), and magical thinking. It encourages inflexible and uncritical thought, obedience, fear of the boogie man, and a sense of being watched and judged with punishment, just like a child.
The Christian often fails to mature because he grows up imagining that he is always being watched and judged by a baby sitter - a cosmic eye in the sky with a paddle of fire and a lollypop that is always tallying rewards and punishments. Would you expect a child to mature in that environment? And how many of them have no clue why we donít go wilding and berserking if we think no baby sitter is watching us - no cop is in the rear view mirror? They donít know.
They seem so ignorant, simple, emotionally labile, vindictive, cruel, unnuanced, crude, whimy, selfish, rigid, literal, and extreme - like children. And all of the lying. Isn't that normal childhood?
Consider this comment from Bishop John Spong:
"The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up."
and then goes on to post
<quoted text>

"Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People." Ė Eleanor Roosevelt
Good one Stuart........

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I NEVER read the Bible verse posts, just as I ignore the squawking of crows.
I generally don't read them either, and if I read part of the posts, I skip the Bible verses.

I assume that people post verses when they have no thoughts of their own.

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. it seems the Christians on this thread prefer posting and debating scripture so, let's do that, OK ??..

.. basically, this verse says, "If you don't believe in God, you're ignorant, have an impoverished sense of understanding and are void of compassion." Let's turn things around ..

.. by inference, one can say this verse promises, "If you believe in God, you'll be wise, have a high degree of understanding (discernment) and a kind heart ..

.. in the past week, I have been presenting evidence that some Christians on this thread resort to unwarranted insults on a regular basis. Where's the kind heart, wisdom and understanding that is asseverated in Ephesians 4:18? What does this scripture mean to you? Have I interpreted it incorrectly ??..
Hardness of heart does not mean lack of compassion, as the world has become more painful, many have hardened their hearts toward God and one another, for self preservation. It's sort of like choosing to have no hope in order to avoid heart break.

As for your last question, I'll answer with a question, why do you think I posted it?

I myself need that reminder too, lest I start being nasty, which I don't like doing and am not meant to do.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Plead the third amendment...
"I refuse to comment...on grounds it may incrimate me"
Okay...You know though that I have a vivid imagination!!!

:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough. I'll have a discussion when there is one to be had, I'm not interested in trading barbs with people all the time, anymore.
I love Bible study as well, this thread used to be a great one for that. Now it's a joke, like most threads in topix.
I always appreciate it when scripture is posted and sometimes even discussed, without mockery. I know others that appreciate it also.
No one has the right to tell me or anyone else what we can post and how to post.
No one has the right to tell anyone how or when they can post, but when people (and some do) constantly post things that are irrelevent to the topic, it takes up space, and makes it difficult to catch up to posts because you have to skip through all the irrelevent stuff to get to the next post that might have something in it to discuss.

I think even though thisthread seesm more geared to believers because of the title, it is still asking for people to discuss their opinions about the question asked. A Bible verse is only a Bible verse. It says nothing about what the poster thinks himself, except that possibly all he knows how to do is post Bible verses.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I've ever liked about church was singing, I love to sing :-)
I love singing too, and sometime last year I started recording on my computer myself singing, and using the program Audacity, I add various tracks of my singing the same song in different parts. Though it is pretty amateurish, I enjoy it, and I have even taken to listening to myself on my earphones whne I am doing other things, sometimes.

Most of the songs I have recorded so far are religious songs, because they are the ones I know the best, from my background in religion, and I find easiest to sing, having done so many times in the past. I do not sing them because I still believe, but because I like the songs, or I live singing the songs.

I am a bit confused though that the only thing you ''liked' aboiut church is the singing, yet you are really into quoting and posting Bible verses.

No offence intended; just confused.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text> Good early morning to you Annie. first off as I can only speak for myself, I laid my assessment of Booosts and his church based off of what he himself have told me in previous posts about his organization, he said that it is a very huge movement somewhere in Canada ( Toronto if I'm not mistaken ) the largest in his area there, he said that some time back that his movement switched away from some type of protestant based doctrine to a more worldly type of humanism teaching, and by his own words said that they have exempted both God and his Word out of their practices and discussions, a "church" that does not practice and teach the Lord Jesus Christ who IS his Word.
How can that be considered anything as viable as a church by it's truest definition when they have disallowed the chief corner stone itself, what are they building on?.........I know that you are not a believer but does that really make any sense to you?
So it's very apparent that he has picked up the spirit that reside in that organization that he was in for so many years, ask him about it, if I have misrepresented any of the info that he has given me concerning himself or his church, he can come behind me and correct it.
Peace.
Lawest...I will say...Christians have changed since my day. I struggle with that because there are many that are nothing like what I was taught that a "Christian" should be.

Maybe I should just leave it at that. I am apt to set off a tirade.

I will say however...what would have sent me to hell in my day now seems to be the latest doctrine.

“Which "god"?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Each person takes what they need from Bible passages or chooses to ignore them. You come in here you will read Bible passages, if you take a certain passage to heart, don't always assume that the person who posted it is calling you names, if I wanted to call you names, I'd keep the Bible out of it personally.

I read all the put downs of our faith and even agree with a great deal of it, this whining seems to me like some people might think that free speech is a one way concept, their way.

Example; some here are posting as though every believer here is personally responsible for the woes that religion and churches have caused in the world, so I post Revelation, why?

Because we know, we were told and we have also experienced it.

Another example; IANS stop being a hypocrite! See how I did not use a Bible passage to call you a hypocrite?

Another example; Some people choose the snide remarks way of saying they don't read the Bible passages, it's all good, no one has to read them but it may help you look less knowledgeable about what it is you're actually ranting about, instead of just memorising some passages you don't understand and use out of context.

Just sayin'.

Since: Sep 08

~To SIR,,,,,With Love~

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey L Lover,
So your husbands operation is this Friday. What are they doing for him, if you donít mind talking about it? I will pray for him, you and your family.
Iím good, how are you and yours doing with your husbandís illness and all?
I know you care, thank you. It was heart breaking but with time, knowing they are in a better place and that I will see them again itís ok. It wasnít the end for them I just will not be able to see them for awhile. They are with God, I will join them sooner or later.
:)ing at you Sister,
HFN
Hi Here For Now..I been on an emotional Roller Coaster dealing with his complications of his incurable disease.He was rushedd to the Hospital on March 13.He had an absess below bellybutton..on the inside of body....HAD Emergency surgery in ER..........Had to drain it.,,,,,,,and control blood pressure,and vital signs, Give two units of Blood.. Was given major antibiotics.interveneously...H e was in critical condition and put in ICU.....Many people Prayed... Next day upgraded to GOOD.....Kept him for a week..NOW hospital bed in living room.....Nurses helping daily.... Trying to get his strength back before going back in.....He is 120 pounds..........skin and bones.. No fat... OK.. Friday he is scheduled for major surgery.. They are going to cut the diseased part out of his small intestine,, and sew back together.. He will be in Hospital a week or more.......Depends on outcome.. Keep him in your Prayers..I am really down..emotionally..

“Which "god"?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

*more knowledgeable*

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey B,
The name of this thread is Why Should Jesus Love Me? It should not surprise you that scripture is being posted. Frankly I donít think it surprises you at all. That you came because you knew scripture would be posted and you could criticize it and harass people that believed in it. Believe or not, God has seen and heard all this and will see and hear all that is to be. He is with us because we are His Children. You are harassing Gods Children. So go ahead and enjoy it while you can, one day the time for that will be over and so will be your chance to choose.
He would like for you to be His too but lets you choose.
The reason that we originally came together was to find others to grow in our walk with God with and that is what happened. We got together and shared our blessings. Help each other through trying times. We explained what we thought about passages in the Bible, etc... We did not get together so unbelievers could use us as doormats. And doormats are what they have been trying to make out of us for years now. But, as you can see we are still here. God must still have a purpose for having led each of us to the same thread. I donít remember the name of the one God first led me to. But the Sisters and Brothers have help me to grow in my walk with God and no matter what God leads me to next, here or not, I thank Him for bringing us together to praise Him and share with each other. I certainly would have been missing a lot had I not met them.
Blessings my Sisters and Brothers in Christ.
Iím also glad I met some that do not claim to be Christians. May God be with you.
HFN
HFN, I guess I came on this thread too late to see that it was a group of Christians, sharing, and encouraging each other. When I came here from other threads, some of which the topics were not about a god, my experience was having "Christians' attacking other posters on a constant basis, and when I came here some of those same posters were here, along with some from the opposite point of view, who I knew from other threads, and so I pretty much just fell into the same mentality that was in the other threads.

Even when I loved to be amongst Christians and to have mutual "love-ins", I was not interested in having people just quoting scriptures.

If that is what people want to do, and that is all they want to do, then I am not interested, nor can I see what holds their interest.

I have read many of Stephen King's books and love his writings, but if I had to read pages from his books every day on a discussion site, I would not stay long.

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be surprised how few people actually believe in God. Most seem to believe in books and charismatic story tellers.
hu

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

LupyLu wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Annie, I'm trying real hard :-)
I agree...it is very hard at times to be kind. I don't think that kindness comes naturally for people...I believe that it is something that we have to work at. Our instinct is to fight back least we become a doormat to those that have the intent to be unkind. As humans we are not designed to do so.

I have to hold off posting in a place such as Topix at times...those times that I just can't find "kindness".

I also think that no matter what someones intention is or was there will be some that look for the "attack" when none was intended. I think we all do it...see smoke when there wasn't any.

I don't know...I love debate...just don't like the personal attacks. Problem is...we all have a different definition as to what "personal attacks" mean I suppose.

“Which "god"?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has the right to tell anyone how or when they can post, but when people (and some do) constantly post things that are irrelevent to the topic, it takes up space, and makes it difficult to catch up to posts because you have to skip through all the irrelevent stuff to get to the next post that might have something in it to discuss.
I think even though thisthread seesm more geared to believers because of the title, it is still asking for people to discuss their opinions about the question asked. A Bible verse is only a Bible verse. It says nothing about what the poster thinks himself, except that possibly all he knows how to do is post Bible verses.
It says a lot about what a poster thinks if said poster has faith in God, we who do, read the Bible, study it and try to live in way that we are guided to live, some of us even read all the Holy books and look into history to try to determine what is factual, what is a parable and what we are to take from it all.

The scripture posted usually has a meaning and is relevant to the topic being discussed and we also do it in order to exchange ideas and learn more about the most studied, controversial and misunderstood book ever written.

For many believers, scripture is a life instruction manual they are trying to fully understand and no amount of mockery will ever change that.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I love singing too, and sometime last year I started recording on my computer myself singing, and using the program Audacity, I add various tracks of my singing the same song in different parts. Though it is pretty amateurish, I enjoy it, and I have even taken to listening to myself on my earphones whne I am doing other things, sometimes.
Most of the songs I have recorded so far are religious songs, because they are the ones I know the best, from my background in religion, and I find easiest to sing, having done so many times in the past. I do not sing them because I still believe, but because I like the songs, or I live singing the songs.
I am a bit confused though that the only thing you ''liked' aboiut church is the singing, yet you are really into quoting and posting Bible verses.
No offence intended; just confused.
I grew up in a little country church. We had no air conditioning or even electric fans. In the spring we would throw up the windows in order to have a breeze blow through. Seems as if there was always a slight breeze from the "holler".

We had several "old coots" that wouldn't be caught dead inside a church but on any given Sunday starting in spring you would find them sitting in their old beat up pickups across the road in the cemetery...listening to the music...singing along. Then when the preaching would start you could hear them start their engines and take off!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

LupyLu wrote:
*more knowledgeable*
Mornin;
Just dragged myself from under the covers first cup in hand naughty woman slept in.Flipped the switch on this machine and this place is busy as a mall or a freeway this mornin.Well have a grand day.God bless.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 497,761 - 497,780 of596,512
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

504 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Kaitlin the Wolf Witch 680,065
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 3 min Dr Shrink 32,859
Albright Blasts Bush Mideast Response, Cites Ir... (Jul '06) 4 min swedenforever 40
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Liam 512,048
Is the galaxy full of Earths? 9 min andet1987 2
The Word Association Game (Apr '11) 16 min Velvet MJK 445
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 18 min Ashdashhart 242
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 53 min Catcher1 216,866
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Some1 Else 89,563
•••
•••
•••