“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#517134 Apr 8, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But proof is evidence or argument helping to establish a fact or truth...
Proof is sufficient evidence or argument to establishes a claim as a fact, and has limited application. For example, if we were face to face in Riverside, I could prove that I wasn't in Boston, and didn't commit a murder that might have occurred there half an hour earlier.

But that is an isolated incident.

If I want to prove an induction - a generalization about how reality works both now and in the future based on the observations of events in the past, I can't do it, and needn't do it. However many times I drop an apple in a gravitational field and it falls, I cannot prove that it will fall the next time. Laws and theories can be confirmed, but never proven. That is, they can be shown to be accurate in describing the past, and useful at predicting outcomes in the future, but not guaranteed to always be true.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Science needs proof.
Not for its greatest pronouncements, and only in the limited sense I already mentioned. I can only prove trivial facts, such as that the apple is on the floor by showing it to you there. And I can prove to you that an apple can fall by dropping one in front of you. But that's about where proof ends.

Incidentally, proof is a relative term limited by the possibility that none of this is real - so called matrix reality or vat in a brain arguments - or that it we were all created last Thursday with our present memories of a longer history.

Such radical possibilities are merely logically possible and not realistic hypotheses, but they cannot be ruled out, and at the most fundamental level, overturn all proofs. That is, a dead body is normally considered proof that there was a birth followed by growth and then a death - unless the whole world were created moments ago exactly as we see it, including with memories of a reality that never actually occurred.

Bottom line: the word proof should be avoided when discussing science.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#517135 Apr 8, 2013
Alas wrote:
<quoted text>The heart is a pump, nothing more.
I disagree.

I believe the heart is much much more than a "pump".
Although an amazing organ-(without it- we can't live), to me, there's a connection between one's mind, being and heart..

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#517136 Apr 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Are you gay?
No duh.
Are you an overly-obsessed homophobe that can't stop talking about gay people?
That's a rhetorical question, I already know you are.

You're projecting an awful lot, did you know that 4/5 vocal homophobes are attracted to the same sex themselves?

Montreal

#517137 Apr 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>With girls only.
I think the man doth protest too much.

Montreal

#517138 Apr 8, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>Still looking for a date with me?
Since I am straight I date only with straight girls
I'm sorry man, but no one would want to date a loser like you.

Fennario

#517139 Apr 8, 2013
Serah wrote:
I think it is unfair that IANS dismisses our Faith and ridicules us as such
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Unfair? This is all hate speech directed against people like me:

[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1

[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8 And the result of such hate speech is predictable:

[3]“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”- 2 Corinthians 6:14

Here,[unbelievers] have been called fools, vile, corrupt, wicked, dark, the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers, and appropriate to be tortured. Not one of us is any good.
Serah wrote:
You are the one saying you fit those pictures, not I :)
Nope. It's your beautiful bible. Read it again.

And people like LAWEST use those scriptures as weapons, and then hide behind them.

Your sense of fair is discredited. You complained about being dismissed and ridiculed, I showed you why it was fair, and you blamed me and my interpretation of your bible for that, too. That's pretty common with Christians. Nothing is your fault, and any reactions or response in kind are unfair, which is why I posted this from Condell:

"I’ve been hearing quite a lot of bitching and whining in the press lately about aggressive, intolerant, atheism ... It seems religion can dish it out okay but it can’t take it: like a street thug who calls the police when his victims fight back."

Exactly. After centuries of victimizing others, Christians don't get to play victim now that the others are in a position to defend themselves and even retaliate.

Sorry, Serah. There is much I like about you, and I would rather be your friend than not. But you stand with filth - the Christian church - and even defend it. If you want to do that, then you are volunteering to receive any and all hostility that it deserves.

Serah: "I think it is unfair that IANS dismisses our Faith and ridicules us as such"

I don't.

Montreal

#517140 Apr 8, 2013
Alas wrote:
<quoted text>You can't expect that idiot to be honest.
Yeah, he's kind of jumping subjects, and then he stopped replying.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#517141 Apr 8, 2013
Mooooorning People.....

:-)

“Failure is the foundation of success,
and the means by which it is achieved.”

~ Lao Tzu

Thought for the day

Location hidden

#517142 Apr 8, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Judy has his e-mail and she is going to check on him.....It is a Beautiful Spring day here in the South and YES I still live by the Coast.
We will be moving in a few weeks out in the country more (far away from the Summer traffic)....I'll be surrounded by Horse Farms
Thanks Epi..Please let me know how he is.
Tell Judy hello..if you would.xo

It's in the upper forties right now.
Cloudy and I can see a red sky peeping through..
Have to begin my Monday..Heading out the door.

-I knew you said you were moving!
Sounds like a nice change!
Summer traffic is certainly no fun!-yuck.

Sending my best!
Also, if you ever talk to Drew..Please give him my
best too..:)
-thanks.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#517143 Apr 8, 2013
Today's Prayer

..."Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit," says the Lord Almighty.~ Zechariah 4:6. Lord, empower me by Your Spirit today. I do not want to do anything out of vanity or just trying to "climb every mountain" on my own. I long to be led by Your Spirit, not by human initiative and man-inspired positive thinking. Please help me to be a positive, joyful person, full of Your Spirit, inspired by Your Word, and busy about Your work as I go through daily life. I pray that all I do will glorify You and be evidence of Your power and Your might and Your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Prime time with God

Fennario

#517144 Apr 8, 2013
Serah wrote:
What Church have I asked you to respect, IANS?
You expect respect for your "Faith."
Serah wrote:
And I also repeat my statement although altered a touch; it is you who is calling yourself a fool, not I :O)
Wrong. Neither of us called me a fool. Your bible did. And LAWEST did.

You said that I was being unfair by ridiculing your "Faith." I argued that it has been marginalizing, demeaning and demonizing people like me for centuries, torturing us when it could, and making our lives more dangerous and difficult in others ways once it could not longer minister to us in that way.

Seriously, Serah, your religion is an enemy, and it is becoming increasingly despised as people like we Topix skeptics do our thing in various venues ranging from message boards to best selling books, billboards, buses, web sites, the news, and the entertainment media. The contempt and disgust for Christianity is gaining momentum. If you want to stand for Christianity, you will incur the contempt of those who are outraged by it. Take a side, and quit complaining about the fallout. It goes with the territory.

Ask your god why he is making it so difficult for you - why he expects you to stand up for his church, but allows it to be such a disgrace that you are chastised for doing so. Why doesn't he give you anything good to work with? Just one little indisputable miracle would help. Instead, all you get is scandals and other embarrassments.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#517145 Apr 8, 2013
Encouraging Words....

For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

2 Corinthians 3:17

K-Love

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#517146 Apr 8, 2013
Enjoy your day....I will

Catch up later!

God Bless

Location hidden

#517147 Apr 8, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>No ...I haven't been to the water in months.
~for shame~
I wish for you a day on the ocean..
Get out there hu..... and report back to me.
lol.

Nice seeing you again. have missed you.
Sincerely.

xo

Fennario

#517148 Apr 8, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
You amuse and gratify me as well with your "rejection of Christianity".
Then I have some good news for you.

Fennario

#517149 Apr 8, 2013
simplyput wrote:
If you have made mistake and regretted or /had a remorseful feeling for the mistakes you made that IS Sin you made! silly.
Nope. There is no such thing as sin. That's a term from your religion, and your religion is false.
simplyput wrote:
A mistake is a goof up and a mistake can be CORRECTED, you NORMALLY won't feel REMORSE over a mistake.
Really? Not all mistakes can be corrected, and remorse is the appropriate response to making a mistake that hurts another person.
simplyput wrote:
If you don't believe in the Bible , don't use it's words to PROOVE anything for yourself or any of US! You have to rely on your OWN intelligence--(?????) don't use the Christian Bible to back up your Atheist belief.
Why not?

I would use any document to discredit it if it needed discrediting. For example, one might be able to debunk a fraudulent will using the provisions of the will itself. Your argument is as ill-founded as that of the bogus heir that forged the will arguing that somebody contesting it cannot refer to its contents if they don't believe them to be authentic.
simplyput wrote:
stick with what you actually believe beacuse that makes you a LIAR.
Now you have crossed that line as well. You represent your faith very well.

Forget that your statement is moronic (happy now? Words like these can now be part of my posting to you). How can I be a liar about what I actually believe?

Fennario

#517150 Apr 8, 2013
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>As much as I would love to agree with you, I can, but only partially.
The "church" failed people. That's why many cannot believe. Not because Father has supernatural powers, because at one point in time or another, we believed in magic. People, like It aint necessary so, came to question the "magic" of Father, based on what they were taught. But, Father didn't answer. Father didn't "prove Himself." Why not, though?
People, like It aint necessarily so, heard the stories. They heard the claims. All they wanted was to witness the same "magic". They wanted their own light-show with thunders and lightnings. But, they didn't get it. They wanted to speak in tongues. But, they knew that if they did, it was fake. They wanted to heal, but for some reason, they couldn't. They began to wonder why Father doesn't heal amputees? They wondered why they couldn't perform what the bible said they would? To the logical, there was only one explanation.
How do we show them that it's not Father's fault, but the so-called "church's"?
The CHURCH made them look to heaven!
The CHURCH made them look for supernatural experiences!
The CHURCH is to blame. Not Father.
How do we show them that?
<quoted text>But, some can't live that way. Neither can I. I examine everything, until I can come to a reasonable explanation. Every account of the bible can be explained. Case in point...
1) People believe that every mountain was the same height, today, as it was during Noah's time. Not true. It's proven that the landscape can change drastically, with less water and less time. The water covered all earth, but that doesn't mean that every mountain, today, was the same height.
2) Not every animal was necessary to preserve all animals. All dogs are derived from the wolf species. That means that the wolf is the parent. Therefore, only the wolf was necessary to re-create all breeds of dog. The same is with marsupials, so forth and so on...
3) Father is Father. If He caused much water to levitate in order to cover the highest surface, then so, be it.
Regardless, the CHURCH is to blame. The Protestants adhere to the Roman Catholic, no matter if we deny it or not. People, like It aint necessarily so, awaited the Holy Spirit. Why was he disappointed? Because, the CHURCH lied.
The CHURCH had him waiting, or believing, on a function that was ended in the first century.
Over 1-billion suffer from starvation and malnutrition. Where's all those with the Holy Spirit? Where's the fish and bread?
It aint necessarily so doesn't believe in Father, but not because he can't fathom the idea of a "God" that can perform such miraculous feats. He rejects "God" because he learned that "God" interacts with us... and He didn't. The CHURCH lied, and we lost one.
How do we show him that it's not Father's fault?!
How do we prove to him that it wasn't his, or Father's, fault, but the CHURCH that led him to look for more than what Father was offering?
<quoted text>Shalowm to you, my brother. Consider my assertions before you respond. Father's not to blame. Science is not to blame. The CHURCH is to blame.
But, what "CHURCH"?
Thanks for your concern, but I don't blame the church for my apostasy. If your god existed, it would be at fault for not keeping its promises in your bible. I reached out to that god, and it was nowhere to be found. If it exists, it doesn't want me.

But your god doesn't exist, and I blame nobody for my church experience but myself. And I don't regret it at all. I learned a lot about an important aspect of human life there: religion. And I learned about myself as well.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#517151 Apr 8, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Mooooorning People.....
:-)
“Failure is the foundation of success,
and the means by which it is achieved.”
~ Lao Tzu
Thought for the day
Another Lao Tzu quote that I enjoy, you might, too.

"If lightning is the anger of the gods, the gods are concerned mostly with trees." – Lao Tzu.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#517152 Apr 8, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
PS.
Are you catching any Stripers?
I have heard there have been sightings my way..
already.
I caught a Stripper once.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#517154 Apr 8, 2013
Catcher is back.

So watch yourselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 min Freebird USA 271,265
___100% PROOF POPE FRANCIS is ANTICHRIST___ 3 min YTubeNews 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min June VanDerMark 589,364
REAL Contemporary Instrumental Music!! 20 min pusherman_ 31
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 36 min Clearwater 176,760
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 40 min Liam 424
Who will be in the NBA Finals?? 43 min Doctor REALITY 4
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 43 min It aint necessari... 837,041
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr Vinamese 4,083
More from around the web