Russell's Teapot

#512516 Mar 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lengthy but interesting.
http://unmaskingevolution.com/21-evidence.htm
<Ripped from the above link>
What was their conclusion?
After an unbiased examination of the facts behind evolution, Hoyle and Wickramasinghe concluded that an extremely high intelligence created life on Earth. However, they rejected God as the origin of life, and opted instead for a creative celestial intelligence. "Although our point of view is anti-Darwinian and is in a sense a return to the concept of special creation, it is not the old concept of special creation." p:147
What can be deduced from this study?
The broad evidence arising from this study of evolution, therefore, points to a creator. Christians identify this creator as Almighty God. So, contrary to being mythology, Christian creation is supported by scientific evidence. Therefore, there is no need for Christians to abandon their faith and embrace any form of evolution.
The observations made earlier in regard to Laurence D Smart, also apply to Fred Hoyle, and Chandra Wickramasinghe.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#512517 Mar 30, 2013
Black Mormon Pope wrote:
<quoted text>You mean that you do not want your name Larry posted here. Are you saying that someone stalked you and got your name from a police officer? If a police officer gave a poster your name then your conduct and actions must have been in violation of the law. Only a detective could gain that information, so you must be bad by nature.
Funny but nowhere near guessing what occurred. I gave my name to the police in an attempt to help a person who was claimed to be in serious trouble in a place to which I had no access due to several hundred miles between me and the other person. My report to them based on their stated rules, was anonymous, but the person reported about talked to them by phone and they gave the person my name, which likely could get the people involved fired, should I feel a need to press the issue, which is not what I intend. That person them went on line and posted my full name on a thread, when my name had never been used on the thread before.

The police admitted to divulging my name when I later contacted them by telephone (my previous contacts had been by email).

I have no learned by subsequent posts that this person is in much more serious problems mentally than even I had guessed at.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#512518 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if you read back through what you posted a few times, you will see that your crossed your own stated line, more than once. However, maybe your intent is okay.
You state your belief is your personal walk with God, but then go on to talk about 'sharing the word'. My understanding of 'sharing the word' is proselytizing, because otherwise why tell people what they have heard many times before, except if you want to influence them to walk the same walk as you walk.
Personally I am very against legalization of marijuana, although I could not present a very logical argument against it. My main concern is that currently, because marijuana is illegal in most places in the world, even as far as people are executed in some countries for simple possession of a certain amount, it has a criminal element to it, and for everyone who uses marijuana for his own use, and is not selling it or promoting its use, there had to be some very ruthless criminals involved somewhere along the course of that marijuana getting into the hands of the user, even if the user did not himself deal with a dangerous person.
I have been told by a friend who once was heavily into drugs but is now paranoid about drugs including prescription drugs, except he is still addicted to tobacco, currently the most dangerous drug commonly used in the world, that one should never believe anyone who tells you that marijuana is not a gateway drug to harder and often fatal drugs, because in his opinion, which has a lot of experience behind it, it is a gateway drug, even if it is only that people who start by using marijuana fall into the drug culture, and knowing the effect they get from it they want to try others, some of which one does not get a second chance with as some can kill the first time you use them.
I have never used marijuana in my life though I have on a few occasions been in the company of a few people who were using it in front of me, and though I was not happy about what they were doing, I did nothing to prevent them, even though technically they were breaking the law.
Simple usage though, in Canada, seldom gets a person into trouble as far as I know, though I am not sure how a person growing a few plants can do some serious time in prison while the person buying his product is ignored. That seems to me to be a hypocritical attitude.
I once went after the police about not cracking down on a known crack house, and they told me that these were small situations and for everyone they closed another would spring up, so they spent their time looking for the big guys.
I see that though as still hypocritical because if you want to get the big guys to take notice you have to send the message that you won't tolerate any of it.
I understand that my sister was feeding her dying husband, who died 3 hours after the end of the day he turned 44 from cancer, cookies made with marijuana, because by that point she was doing every conceivable thing to try to help him. She even booked a flight to see some reportedly miracle cure doctor in Mexico but he told her not to take her husband down there because, based on the info she had sent about him, he would not survive the flight.
I am one to talk though, as currently I am on 6 different prescription meds daily, and have been on most of them for many years. 2 are for prevention of medical problems, and 3 are for my mental illness problems, which caused me to become permanently disabled nearly 20 years ago.
You made your rounds to almost every poster on this thread to express your views.I wondered when you get around to passing judgement on me.I crossed that state line and probably continue to do so in the future.As well as post the living word.If someone uses Marijuana that is there business not mine.Who they live with is there business not mine.But you just keep right on telling this thread what you think there mistakes are knowing you are not walking around there shoes.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#512519 Mar 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Luke who?
Sideshow Luke Perry?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh8qdjkzZ61...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#512520 Mar 30, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know, and I took your post as a segue to look at the beliefs/mythology and Christian mindset in general.
No offense taken, at all.
Thanks. None intended.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#512521 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you not seen similar things coming from those who most strongly profess to be Christians here? Who would you expect to appear most Christ-like on a discussion site about Jesus, those who believe in Jesus/God or those who have no belief in any supernatural being?
I think we all need to be polite and not attack others, but I think it is also human nature to expect the behavior of those professing a belief in a being, who demanded exemplary behavior, to be better than their opponents.
I personally do not find that believers show better personal behavior, especially on Topix, than do non-believers, however I still make that mental association of expecting they would show better behavior (if they really want to convince us that they are sincere in their beliefs).
In my going on 3 years posting on Topix, I have not placed any expectations on those claiming to not have a belief in a god, except I have mentioned to a few of the 'atheists' on Topix, a time or two, that I found their responses were more harsh than necessary to make their point. That is mainly because I have been here as a non-believer and as a rule have not followed other non believers' posts, since I am debating with those who take a position against the position I take.
My experience with those, who I am most familiar, is the really bad behavior here has come from the people who have been most critical of non-believers, and that behavior (of the Christians) has included chronic lying (which has been admitted to by the liars, some months or years after they were first caught in the lies), and continuous personal attacks on individual posters, usually completely off the topic of the particular thread.
It is difficult to accept the posts of someone claiming to be a 'Saved Christian' when posts themselves betray the person as (in Christian terms) a hopeless sinner. It seems counter to me, if as some state, they are here to witness for God, and to win people to their beliefs, that they should do so in such a very abusive manner.
I cannot say the same applies to atheists, because no atheist is trying to win someone over to atheism, because atheism is not a thing; it is a lack of something (a belief in a deity).
As human animals I think we are all obligated to treat others in a manner that we would want them to treat us, but I don't think it fair or even logical to attach biblical laws to non-believers.
There are many of us who have been writing to each other over many years ~ and moving from thread to thread, creating new ones trying to get away from those who have no belief and want to bombard us with reasons why we are delusional having our FAITH.

We are often told GOD is a sky daddy, and we are insane; oh, we have been told many things by many different Atheists, over many years and in many places. We have also been called names by Christians too,(not all of us, but most of us) due to individual choices in religion and what Church one does or doesn't attend.

Maybe, and against our wishes, we are becoming deflated. You will be happy to know though, that there are over 40 of us who have joined together as a Family in Face Book; a place where we can share our Prayers and our Scriptures, knowing we will not get reprisals. When we are at our lowest, it does help knowing people care ~ which is why there are support groups for different issues, such as cancer and rape .... and of course, Christians who want to share Christianity, for no other reason than they can :)
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#512522 Mar 30, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>Good evening again Adam, I don't acknowledge Easter and Christmas, but I agree with your assessment of our friend here if he don't get it turned around in time, how're you this evening?
Good to see you around here.I am doing good.Itīs feels like christmas although there is no snow in the area where I live.
The weather outside here in germany is pretty much cold.Colder than christmas last year. Itīs the coldest easter weather more than 100 years.

Location hidden

#512523 Mar 30, 2013
Black Mormon Pope wrote:
<quoted text>What you describe is a mental illness, it comes from having a weak, untrained, polluted and distracted mind and mostly not being very educated. It can be cured. First start with this, most people do not want to read boring crap, so you are simply doing mental self masturbation. Digest that for awhile.
Well you are close. I am being treated for two serious mental illnesses, neither of which is related to that, but doing that could be a side effect of either the mental illnesses or some of the meds I take. Having said that I have always had this compulsive behavior to drag out what I am trying to say with a lot of side stories, so it is probably just some inherited trait that I have which I have not put a lot of conscious thought into trying to correct. As a rule I don't talk a lot at all, so when I do get going, which is more an exception than the rule, I do tend to drag it out.

As for being uneducated, I have a very good education.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#512524 Mar 30, 2013
youtube wrote:
100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =moaXuWJryu8XX
100% proof you're nuts.

The universal church can't even pull off a sex scandal successfully.

#512525 Mar 30, 2013
psalms 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
My response was to explain what he had said and thought to be an impossible thing for a ''man'' to do..
If i can explain this with out messing it up, but here it goes.
All things are possible with God, yes i totaly agree. Now as for the individual doing those things and completing them is another story. For some who's faith is strong and has a challenge in life and they accomplish that, then yes it was and is possible. Now a person who is the opposite, meaning weak in faith not able to find the will or strenght and does not reach his goal, then for that person it wasnt possible..
Depends soley on the person for the outcome.
Yes ~ I wonder what it is that is required for one to have no doubt? I often ponder that and can never find an answer. Some say they have walked away from JESUS, and yet why would one ever walk away from their best friend; one who is always there and will never let you down? Why would you walk away from never ending comfort? And what do you find in place of all that JESUS can give us?

My only answer to those who say they have walked away from JESUS is to say that they never really walked with HIM in the first place ~ doubt must have been overriding FAITH.... It is the only answer that makes sense, in my humble opinion :)

#512526 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowadays the real danger lies, and sometimes a bit of humor, when for some reason the family all get their DNA tested and they find that none of the children the father claims are his, actually were sired by him. I heard about a situation a while back where that happened, but I don't have a clue who or where that was.
In reality, I suspect that if all people in the past, if they had the technology which they didn't have, would have had lots of surprises in communities, when many children were discovered to not be offspring of the person who everyone (except perhaps the real fathers) thought was the father.
DNA has always proven our ancestors are human beings, which of course, does not surprise many, but many will deny!! We find that which we seek Boooots, and we know that which we have been taught...

Location hidden

#512527 Mar 30, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
This post was dedicated to the little sneaky child Doctor REALITY. Insulting me being the son of Satan and other lies.If you call yourself a Christian without knowing the meaning of the Scripture you should shut up.
Why I donīt use my own words?
I feel more secure to use Jesus words and linked it to the bible than to use my own words like others do. So no one can accuse my telling lies for my own interests. I can say look this was what Jesus said. I did not add anything nor did I misinterpret.
Jesus said.With your own words you will be judged and with your own words you will be condemned.
But nobody knows what Jesus actually said, if he actually existed, because he did not leave any writings himself, and all writings about him were many decades after his death, and no one remembers exact words of one person made 30 to 100 years before they are written down. The words attributed to Jesus in the Bible were all created by the writers of the books or someone else who was telling them what to write, from their own imaginations.

If you don't believe me, try writing down every word that all the people you spoke to in the past week said in their exact words, without making any mistakes. I know you can't do that even with the persons you spoke to today, assuming you actually spoke to other people. Then when you find doing that is impossible try writing down what someone said in your presence 30 years ago, if you are that old. You can't.

Jesus and God are claimed by the Bible to have superpowers; the authors of the books of the Bible are not claimed to have super powers, so any words they put into their stories were fabricated.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#512528 Mar 30, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
the bible is mythology
historical fiction,
that is fiction, set in an historical framework.
Tis your opinion and only in your eyes.
Other eyes may not see the same as you.

Location hidden

#512530 Mar 30, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like it or not the statistics and history speaks for itself. It is a homosexual disease and thatīs the sign of the Lord to the wicked sinner. As long homosexuals exist as long these disease will spread dramatictly.
Well if you base your life on that myth, then I can't expect much good to come of your life.

#512532 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though active in church and Christianity for over 40 years, I had to come to Topix to discover just how important Satan seems to be in the lives of 'Christians'. He kind of didn't get mentioned all that often in my life. It was either acting like a Christian or not acting like a Christian, rather than following God or following Satan.
There was a time when all I could do was to pray to keep out 'evil thoughts' when I moved from this state to another state, and my children were very young. There was evil in that dwelling, and all I could do was pray. I went to the shop and bought a chain and a cross, knowing I had to, and I prayed the Lord's Prayer non stop when these 'feelings' started to overtake my own.

GOD has given me many animals in my life to love and to hold in times of need, and this story is way too long to tell here, but will say that I had two Labradors in my life who meant very much,(I still have a pic of a Lab which I took down from a Calendar nearly 43 years ago at my first place of employment)- one was found and returned to the owner, the other was a gift from the owner.

A golden Labrador Puppy, who I named King, and loved to pieces. He was my pajama bag, he was everything in my life that had been taken. When I was 13, the man who had molested me (twice) shot and killed my dog ~ so, in answer to my non stop Praying when I was living in an evil dwelling, GOD sent me a Golden Labrador.

He came knocking on my door one Sunday, and played with my children and me, and also got to know the neighbors kids, and the neighbors. I called him King, although he was not a young dog, he had matured into the shape of an adult, but was still relatively young.

Well, this dog came back quite a few Sundays in a row, and then the local shop owners invited us for lunch on a Sunday, and the question was, what about the dog? Who will answer the door if you are not here? It was easy for me to say that he will come back the next week, although I never saw him again. I rued the day I wasn't home for him, until I realised the evil in the dwelling had gone.

I had not been clinging on to my cross and Praying non stop for some time, in fact, I couldn't recall when I had last Prayed like that. Some might say a Golden Labrador knocking on your door each Sunday during this period of time was pure coincidence; and some will know that GOD answered my Prayers. Couldn't tell you how many times I have Prayed the Lord's Prayer silently and in public since those days when I was in my early 20's, but can tell you easily there is no way life would be the same without Prayer.

Where does one turn to in times of despair? What thoughts do you have when you are low? How do you handle reading of children and animals being maimed, tortured and killed? Where do your thoughts turn to when there is nowhere to go?
Name appears on post

Kingston, PA

#512533 Mar 30, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>good for you
fell free to get married with second homosexual or lesbian
who told you this about Bible,
can you tell me? remeber this is secret? don't repeat to anyone?
What is it that makes you so confident? How do you know you're not deluded? Delusions are part of the human condition. Is it because there is safety found in this belief? Is it because you have others around you who affirm it? Is it because the society is based on Judeo-Christian principles? I don't see how a whole society couldn't also experience deluded thinking. Groupthink is like that. I'm not saying that you're sick. Perhaps we're all deluded, or scared. Or perhaps not. What do you think? I'm giving you a chance to prove yourself, and grow stronger. How can you KNOW that this is all true? I'm impressed with those who are self-assured and confident, and I like to learn from them.

Location hidden

#512534 Mar 30, 2013
LAWEST100 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh there are many con jobs and con job artists out there alright, even in the alledged religious world, but there is also a truth to be had and guided into if your heart and intentions are honest, Yea, I am one of the Blessed few and I know saying that is going to steam a lot of people, but the redeemed of the Lord must say so.
Well that brought a smile to my face, so it can't be all bad, though I think the smile was more to do with your naivete than your knowledge. I find it sort of amusing that some people think they have something over others by virtue of their 'knowing God'. I also know that they are making a statement that is a crock, and has been exposed long ago, by people who once made similar statements until they finally decided to get out of the Bible thumping business and join the real world.

Even if you are actually gullible enough to believe that by virtue of your becoming the Christian you think you are today, you have some special connection that the rest of us don't have, you have been conned.

I think I would respect your intelligence more if you are lying rather than you really fell for it. At least you still have your intelligence, even though a liar, but if you fell for that story, then it is rather scary to think about what else you might have fallen for.

#512535 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
You are forgiven, my child, go and sin no more.:)
I too have done many things in my life, which at the time I felt less than Christ-like in doing, but they were what I wanted to do at that particular point in my life.
I don't expect anyone to perfectly follow anything they claim to believe in, because as humans we are all faced with so many situations that it is virtually impossible to even be able to think what the 'right' thing is in every second of our lives.
I do however get a bit miffed when someone daily abuses others, and daily commits things that their stated beliefs will not tolerate, and then condemn others for acting in the same way even though the others do not have the same set of beliefs.
I really liked how you worded that post.
I do not know you as a long term poster; at least not by that name. However there are a group of people here who post on several threads who have posted together for several years, and we do tend to get to understand a bit about the other person's manner of posting and what they consider important etc., and some of us have been spending the better part of 2 to 4 years daily posting to one or two individuals who have consistently maintained they are the 'best Christians that exist'(my words entirely), but are constantly being attacked for posting outright lies, and to date have always eventually had to admit to the lie, when the evidence became too great.
Of course this goes entirely against the purpose of this site, and neither this or these people or ourselves should have been stooping to personal attacks, but at least in my case, I was so taken aback by the behavior and bigotry of these posters that I became immersed in personal issues rather than the topics posted.
I have posted in the WINLAC and the Atheist Faith forum, but don't belong there. My time in those forums was short ~ I cannot see why one would want to hang out with those that draw forth argument, hence I hang out in the JESUS love forum :)

#512537 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, now I do feel foolish, as you were not responding to me at all, even though you called the other poster by my real name, which a dishonest person posted here a while back after getting it from the police illegally. Otherwise, I am aware of only two Topix posters who know my real name because we are or were friends on Facebook.
Sometimes it pays to read something before replying, though because he had quoted me so much, which you copied, I kind of overlooked that you were addressing him, not me.
My comments about my long winded posts still apply however.:(
Hi Larry :)

#512538 Mar 30, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are rather silly words, because one could have made that statement any time in the past 2000 or however many years you are talking about and it would have been as relevant or not.
What outcome? We are not at an outcome yet. We are in a spot in history that is one hell of a lot better than say the period between 1914-1918 or 1939-1945. Fortunately I was born after those events. In the more progressive countries humans in general are treated much better than ever before in history.
Yes, we have some serious problems, but we also have 3 times the population or more than the world has ever seen before, and today we hear about what is happening in all parts of the world, almost daily, whereas in the past many people never knew much about anything beyond their own small area of the world.
People have been saying the same things as you state all 66 years of my life, and no End Times have come, and I highly suspect that has been the case in many centuries in the past also.
I have very little patience with fear mongers, who grasp onto imaginary situations based on what some comparatively uneducated person said thousands of years ago, and try to draw some conclusions to frighten people today.
Personally I think that anyone who instills fear in others about soemthing which they cannot specifically point to, with physical evidence then they should shut up or face arrest for fear mongering. If one hears and knows that an army has set out and will arrive at our border in 'x' hours and it intends to kill everyone it encounters, then we have cause to be afraid and take action. But when some jackass starts preaching that on May 21, 2011, or whatever that date that idiot in the USA had a whole mess of people all upset about, which never happened, and nothing even remotely similar happened, people like that should be severely punished by the state.
Let's deal with real problems in our world, not with some predictions that some invisible God is going to come down and snatch away all the good guys, and leave the rest in some sort of horror.
We are an outcome when we take our last breath.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Stilgar Fifrawi 733,143
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min RADEKT 258,038
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min June VanDerMark 539,058
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 21 min Israelis r Marxis... 117,988
Last Word + 2 24 min Tender Mercies 523
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 24 min RiccardoFire 36,754
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 46 min DeAngelo of Memphis 2,426
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 47 min CunningLinguist 226,367
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••